• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chad Ochocinco v. Coach Lewis at Lockdown?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Yup, you read that right...

8f7f4be477c6dd1efb1cd19d7b6814e9_XL.jpg

The ill-will between the head coach and his star player has reportedly been an ongoing issue, and now Ochocinco has challenged Lewis to put an end to their differences once and for all – not on the gridiron field of the NFL, but inside a steel cage!

On Monday, Ochocinco posted the following message to his Twitter account (twitter.com/ochocinco), responding to Adam Schefter of ESPN: "Me and Marvin Lewis in a cage match, set it up, I've earned my stripes on my helmet it's time to fight then play"

As a result, Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling has offered to host Ochocinco vs. Lewis inside a Steel Cage at their annual “Lockdown” event on April 17, which will air live on Pay-Per-View!

If Ochocinco and Lewis agree to settle their differences, TNA Wrestling officials will work with their representatives to sanction the bout, as well as train both combatants in the weeks leading up to the match.

You can read the entire press release here: http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/item/2388-Ochocinco-vs-Coach-Lewis-at-Lockdown

--

Thoughts on this?

I doubt it happens, but it would be GREAT for TNA if it did.

Just imagine all the free press from EVERY major sports/media outlet there is. It'll be like when they had Pac-Man Jonesx1,000,000.

Ochocinco is very well known and a prominent player in the NFL, he's already all over T.V. from commercials to reality shows. This exposure they could receive from this would be better than ANYTHING else they could do at the moment.

While I'm sure wrestling/TNA purists would hate the idea, it doesn't really matter. This is the type of "Main Event" exposure TNA needs if they ever want to be taken as a serious threat to the WWE.

That's true, media exposure would be the best part of this for TNA. Same as when they had Pacman Jones and when Ray Lewis was rumored to join for a few weeks during an offseason years ago.

I agree with SSC on this one. One of the Main problems that TNA has is marketing and getting exposure for the TNA brand. Ochocinco is a HUGE Personality and this could give TNA a ton of media exposure. He is one of the Most Popular Players in the NFL and if this happens its fair to say that TNA could benefit from all the Media Coverage they could get from Ochocinco being involved with the product. I'm not sure that this will happen but if it does I think this is a Very Smart thing for TNA to do.

SSC nailed it IMO, folks.

Wrestling/TNA purists are going to loathe this idea, just like they loathed the Pac-Man Jones era, but I distinctly remember seeing TNA on SportsCenter during that debacle, so how "bad" can this really be?

If you're tuning in to see a great wrestling match, you're an idiot, and you're out of your mind to boot — it's not about wrestling. It's about publicity, and centering a match around a cult celebrity as popular as Ochocinco would get them a fuckin' assload of publicity — something they could benefit from greatly.

The last time they even touched closely on something like this was with the Jersey Shore bit with J-Woww showing face, and frankly, they made the right decision there, as well — $15,000 (debatable) or not, TNA's name was plastered all over TMZ, internet sites re-tweeting/re-posting the news as well as various television outlets including E! and more.

Wanna take a guess as to how many would pick up Ocho coming to pro-wrestling to face-off with his coach?

This would be awesome if it ocurred. If TNA could somehow do this then they would get so much publicity but to bad folks because there is no way in hell this would ever take place. Ochocinco would do it but everyone knows Marvin Lewis is not going to do this. They would both have to start training and learning how to take bumps when they can be training for the next football season. If this were to happen, it would kill the bengals legacy because a coach vs a player, steel cage? Really? Don't see it happening but if it did then good for TNA, bad for the Cincinatti Bengals.

This could be something to really look forward to. The wrestling will probably be shit, but this could give TNA loads of mainstream exposure and buzz.

I would actually want to see this happen. CJ is one of the most, if not the most charismatic personalities in the NFL. The guy is a smooth talker, so seeing him cut some nice promos wouldn't surprise me at all. CJ would fit perfectly in the world of pro wrestling.

I'm sure a lot of die hard wrestling and TNA fans would hate this, but this match would be huge for TNA. The Sportscenter broadcasters and others who look down on pro wrestling would probably mock this beyond belief, but in the end, CJ VS Coach Lewis would be one of those matches to remember, and the exposure TNA could gain from this would be unreal.

Well, the exposure would be great, and Chad Ocho Cinco has certainly shown that he has a "wrestling personality" throughout the years, but the how much will it help?

IDR used J-Woww as an example, but despite it being on TMZ and covered in the mainstream, it basically flopped. The appearance wasn't promoted enough and the ratings weren't improved. On top of that, it was a one time appearance that went nowhere, making it a "talent" you pay money to get, but received little in return.

For this to work, you'd have to bring these guys in about a month early. Promote the fuck out of it. Seriously, I want to see a billboard in NYC like when Hogan came in, because this is bigger. Yea, I said it.

Then, let them actually cut promos leading up to a big PPV match. This might actually draw viewers leading into the show, and might entice people to buy a Pay Per View. That is the nature of the business and if you do it right, it could work in that way.

That said, if it's not promoted well and TNA hopes word of mouth and twitter will do it, it won't. You need to go balls out for this to work. Exposure is good, but it hasn't helped in the past. Ratings (the only numbers we have to go on) have stayed the same for years, and I'd care to wager that PPV buys didn't shoot through the roof for Pac Man Jones and obviously didn't for J-Woww since she didn't appear on a PPV.

Promote the shit out of it and train these guys to be at least half decent with what they are going to do. I still think it doesn't happen though, unless they are sure there will be an NFL lockout. Risking injury in a wrestling ring could end a football player's career, so unless there is no football next year, if 85 got hurt and missed out of a much bigger football paycheck, TNA would get sued and be fucked. You don't want that.

What you do want are billboards, press releases, ESPN coverage BEFORE Impact and Lockdown, etc. Entice people to invest in the product and actually make money off of this endeavor. Don't pay these guys what wrestlers make in a year to come in and make the company nothing. This is way more of a negative than positive as the JWoww situation brought on a LOT of bad morale in the locker room since she was payed (apparently) way too much. Be careful and make sure it's worth your while is all I'm saying. If they do that, it could pay off. If they don't, it could be detrimental.

Well, the exposure would be great, and Chad Ocho Cinco has certainly shown that he has a "wrestling personality" throughout the years, but the how much will it help?

IDR used J-Woww as an example, but despite it being on TMZ and covered in the mainstream, it basically flopped. The appearance wasn't promoted enough and the ratings weren't improved. On top of that, it was a one time appearance that went nowhere, making it a "talent" you pay money to get, but received little in return.

For this to work, you'd have to bring these guys in about a month early. Promote the fuck out of it. Seriously, I want to see a billboard in NYC like when Hogan came in, because this is bigger. Yea, I said it.

Then, let them actually cut promos leading up to a big PPV match. This might actually draw viewers leading into the show, and might entice people to buy a Pay Per View. That is the nature of the business and if you do it right, it could work in that way.

That said, if it's not promoted well and TNA hopes word of mouth and twitter will do it, it won't. You need to go balls out for this to work. Exposure is good, but it hasn't helped in the past. Ratings (the only numbers we have to go on) have stayed the same for years, and I'd care to wager that PPV buys didn't shoot through the roof for Pac Man Jones and obviously didn't for J-Woww since she didn't appear on a PPV.

Promote the shit out of it and train these guys to be at least half decent with what they are going to do. I still think it doesn't happen though, unless they are sure there will be an NFL lockout. Risking injury in a wrestling ring could end a football player's career, so unless there is no football next year, if 85 got hurt and missed out of a much bigger football paycheck, TNA would get sued and be fucked. You don't want that.

What you do want are billboards, press releases, ESPN coverage BEFORE Impact and Lockdown, etc. Entice people to invest in the product and actually make money off of this endeavor. Don't pay these guys what wrestlers make in a year to come in and make the company nothing. This is way more of a negative than positive as the JWoww situation brought on a LOT of bad morale in the locker room since she was payed (apparently) way too much. Be careful and make sure it's worth your while is all I'm saying. If they do that, it could pay off. If they don't, it could be detrimental.

J-Woww didn't flop at all IMO.

The ratings spiked (including those segments if I'm not mistaken), albeit for only a few weeks, but the actual feud itself was a success regardless of the overall "failure" of it maintaining a larger audience addition. Fact is, J-Woww was a plug to get exposure as a means to try and draw in a few more viewers, and essentially it worked, because we have no idea what stopped said viewers from continuing to watch.

You can sit back and say "well, it's because Cookie and Robbie E are awful," but that's not necessarily true. It could have been the rest of the show that killed the numbers, or the viewer spike could simply have tuned in and not liked what they saw, etc.

As for the rest of the post — I fully agree. Promote the fuck out of this, just like they did with Pac-Man.

This sort of thing has proven to draw mainstream attention. Ochocinco was a huge name in the NFL this season, and was all over the media, making it all the more beneficial to bring in the match. I'm sure there are plenty of wrestling purists who are throwing a fit over this, especially since TNA generally has the better in-ring wrestlers. But those same purists were probably pissed when WWE brought in "Money" to fight Big Show at Mania24. Bringing in mainstream icons helps business, and it's been going on in every wrestling promotion for as long as wrestling has been around. Mr. T main evented Wrestlemania, Donald Trump bought Raw, The Fridge is in the Hall of Fame, and on and on and on. It can't possibly hurt the TNA product...

The ratings spiked (including those segments if I'm not mistaken), albeit for only a few weeks, but the actual feud itself was a success regardless of the overall "failure" of it maintaining a larger audience addition. Fact is, J-Woww was a plug to get exposure as a means to try and draw in a few more viewers, and essentially it worked, because we have no idea what stopped said viewers from continuing to watch.

You can sit back and say "well, it's because Cookie and Robbie E are awful," but that's not necessarily true. It could have been the rest of the show that killed the numbers, or the viewer spike could simply have tuned in and not liked what they saw, etc.

As for the rest of the post — I fully agree. Promote the fuck out of this, just like they did with Pac-Man.

The reason I say it flopped is because the "spike" in ratings went nowhere. The hope when you do things like this is to get fans of these people to tune in to the product to see them. Then, hopefully they go "hmmm, this show ain't half bad" and they continue to watch it. I know it's sometimes wishful thinking to hope for that, but that's the idea.

The other reason I say it flopped is that it pissed off the talent backstage. Granted, the TNA roster seems to be more sensitive than a barely legal clit, but they weren't happy that they bust their ass to make a paycheck and it is claimed that there is no money for them to get raises. However, there is apparently large sums of money laying around for J-Woww. Obviously, a "TNA original" isn't the mainstream star that J-Woww is sadly, but if she wasn't going to bring a discernible change to the viewership, they are going to feel like it's a waste.

That said, COC is a much bigger draw since the NFL draws more than anything in this day and age. Thus, this could work way better if done right. I'd just be careful about paying these dudes so much money, because it seems that the talent is on edge, especially given this Ric Flair crap lately.

The reason I say it flopped is because the "spike" in ratings went nowhere. The hope when you do things like this is to get fans of these people to tune in to the product to see them. Then, hopefully they go "hmmm, this show ain't half bad" and they continue to watch it. I know it's sometimes wishful thinking to hope for that, but that's the idea.

A momentary spike is what it is...momentary, succesful for one week, so the company and Dixie Carter have something to boast about for a week until it's back down to normalcy! I doubt that it made the company that much money! That's the whole point of doing an angle like this. Instant celebs may catch us for a moment at times, but so what! Where's the difference it made in the company! This isn't the second coming of the Tyson-Effect.

Much like Pac-Ass this won't draw a dime. This is a feeble attempt to keep attention on an NFL player, who no longer has the same amount of attention he once had, because his team stinks, and nobody cares anymore. He can't win a championship, so he tries to find other ways to sustain his star power. The guy is a joke....

And the fact that the NFL is letting this happen is even worse. I mean the higher ups in the NFL probably have no idea whatsoever, that TNA isn't a cash cow, and this won't make a lick of money, and it'll end up being embarassing.

Lemme disclaim this by apologizing if someone gets offended.

I'm one of the wrestling purists you speak of, and you're damn right: I'm pissed about this idea. The fact that TNA would even think of putting these two guys in a cage match is beyond me. I happen to remember Sharmell vs Jenna at Victory Road. Yeah, admittedly COC could probably look good in the ring, but what about Lewis? I'm sure he can't go at the physical pace required to look somewhat decent. I'd rather see COC vs Carson Palmer with Marvin Lewis as ref if TNA's going to do something this asinine.

Here's an open message to TNA: You wanna get mainstream attention? Then simply do this one thing: Put on a show that's halfway fucking entertaining. Get these old has-been shits out of the ring and get your guys that can actually go INTO the ring. Do you REALLY think that WWE got where they are overnight? When THEY pulled wrestlers from other promotions/territories, it was wrestlers that were actually in shape and had ability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to a promotional shot with the NFL but I don't think it has any place in a WRESTLING ring where WRESTLERS are getting THEIR in-ring airtime taken away from them. Do you really think that this will up PPV buyrates and TV ratings? IF there's any increase, and that's a big IF, it will be marginal and short-term at best.

Im new to the site, but not new to wrestling.

This idea is ridiculous. It should never happen. Especially not inside a cage. Sure it may garner media attention because Ochocinco is a ham and loves media spotlight but once they actually get to the ppv and they both get in the ring it is going to be horrible.

Don't build something up and get everyone to watch only to give them something abysmal and not worth watching...

although that's pretty much TNA in a nutshell.

This would be awesome if it ocurred. If TNA could somehow do this then they would get so much publicity but to bad folks because there is no way in hell this would ever take place. Ochocinco would do it but everyone knows Marvin Lewis is not going to do this. They would both have to start training and learning how to take bumps when they can be training for the next football season. If this were to happen, it would kill the bengals legacy because a coach vs a player, steel cage? Really? Don't see it happening but if it did then good for TNA, bad for the Cincinatti Bengals.

First I'd like to point out that I live in southwestern Ohio and am a big Bengals fan(yes, sadly, we exist).

I agree with everything you posted from the point of view that this would be great for TNA exposure, yet could never happen due to the near zero percent chance of Marvin agreeing to it. I also think Roger Goodell and the league itself would probably try to influence this not occuring.

But, I have to disagree with you on one point... You spoke about this hurting the "legacy" of the Bengals. There is no real legacy to speak of. The only thing that keeps the Bengals relevant from a national media standpoint are the sideshow acts. They are the "Comedy-Jobber of the NFL" so to speak. More publicity for the Bengals of any kind could not make things worse.

So, this would be definitely good for TNA, and just another in a line of off-field publicity stunts for a Bengals franchise that can't get any lower- so from that standpoint it could be good for them too(can't hurt, right?). It is Marvin himself and moreover the NFL as an establishment that this could end up looking bad on, not Cincinnati.

I doubt this will happen(never say never in wrestling though), but I would definitely like to see it happen due all the main stream attention it would get. Unlike the people who tuned in to see JWOWW, I think this would attract the kind of people(males 18-34) that might actually like TNA.

Of course this will piss of some people, but you're not going to please everyone. The media attention this would get is totally worth pissing those people off, IMO. It's exactally what TNA needs, more eyes on TNA. Especially with wanting to start taking iMPACT on the road more this year, getting the TNA wrestling name out there more and more is always a plus and what they need to do.

Also, this makes me believe that maybe they are going to bring TNA Lockdown 2011 to somewhere in the greater Cincinnati area. Which if it will be in that area and this match did occur, it would be a smart idea by TNA because it would probably help draw a large live attendance.

I agree with the naysayers. First off, Yanks is right. Prior experience has shown that the celebrity thing, without the presence of at least a semi-approachable show, does nothing for the long term. People mention Pac Man Jones and J-Woww, but you fail to realize where it really got them throwing around money like that. A few quick channel clicks and then quickly forgotten. They probably saw the rest of the program and thought "meh. Not worth taking the time every Thursday". If you want to bring in new viewers, you have to be able to keep some of them.

Secondly, it's pretty lame. First you have some spoiled, ungrateful pro ball player (think that's almost all that's left anymore) with a piss-poor attitude and a dumb shit number for a last name wanting to fight his coach. How disgraceful and ungrateful for your opportunity is it to go this far with a disagreement with your coach? Kick the bastard out of football and make him work in a blue collar job and see how much he appreciates shit then. Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves is a spoiled, no account shit bag "celebrity".

You also don't want to piss off the employees that are doing the day to day tasks. They are the ones that will work hard to try to make the company a success, or they'll leave for better conditions or just half-ass everything. If you've got satisfied employees (for the most part) and are financially prosperous enough to pay them well AND get your publicity, then by all means go for it. But to continuously piss off the guys that bust your ass for you, well, don't worry. I'm sure the WWE would be happy to bring some of them in to further bury you deeper than you already are.

The guy is a player, Lewis is his coach. His job is to listen to his coach and go do what he's paid to do on the field. Sure, disagreements are going to happen, but you should really act like a f'n adult when you've been blessed enough to be in his position. This would not only be a bad idea from a pro football standpoint, but bad from a TNA standpoint as well. You'd get a spike in ppv buys for people to see the novelty, but if you keep trying for an insubstantial "quick fix" instead of bettering the product as a whole, you're not really going to get far at all. And how many times will it work before people say "Oh, hell. They're doing that again? Screw it, I'll hear about it the next day on ESPN/the news" or whatever media relates to the genre they are trying to take advantage of again? Without the product to keep people interested, sooner or later they'll see through you and see you for the "one-hit wonder" you really are and then even the quick, novelty fixes won't work.

I like the idea as it would be a media frenzy for TNA. My only problem would be a proper storyline for the two to make it seem logical that they are having a match in a TNA arena as opposed to the street or anywhere else in the world.

My suggestion(not that it means much but i might as well say it) would be to have both of these men attend a TNA live event as fans. They usually shoot some footage of there live events so it wouldn't be to out of the ordinary. With some handy camera work while filming any segment of a match have these two captured having an altercation in the crowd. Maybe Lewis is seen walking up and greeting Chad while with his family and Chad hits Lewis and the two get restrained by security. Then TNA invites them back to an Impact taping to explain there actions caught on camera. Then cue story about how Chad hates him but couldn't do anything about it during the season but now that its over and talks of a possible strike next year he wants to settle there differences once and for all.

Overall no matter which way they go with the story if this does happen it probably wont be good. But it will garner media attention and that is really all that is important right now for TNA.

This is not gonna happen no way is Marvin Lewis gonna agree to do a steel cage match against his own player on his own football team Chad Johnson. I mean Lewis would be terrible on the mic the weeks leading up and who is gonna be the face and heel in this situation? TNA should not do this because knowing them they always mess something like that up and it does nothing for them in the long run.

I agree with the last poster. I could see Chad Johnson wanting this, but who on earth would Lewis want this? seeing how wrestling is scripted I assume it would not be at all like UFC where they are actually fighting. so in a scripted match who do you script to win? and why would the loser ever agree to it? seeing how Johnson wants this assume he would also want to be the winner, but what would that prove? Marvin Lewis has nothing to gain by doing this and more to lose.

as for why should TNA do this, it would be brilliant! I guess McMahon should not have had MrT at the first Wrestlemania? I guess TNA does not want the incredible amount of exposure that it would create over every single sports type program anywhere? something like this is exactly what TNA needs. JWoww from Jersey Sore was good, but Chad Johnson as a star athlete would blow that away. now it would be better if it was Chad Johnson against another similar type athlete rather than a head coach who probably doesn't have that much athleticism at whatever his age would be right now.

regardless, I doubt it actually happens.

There seems to be alot of pros and a lot cons to the potential of this so here it goes;

TNA PRO: You get all sorts of media attention. Every sports page,website,twitter account,athlete and resident of Ohio,Pittsburgh and Baltimore talking about this match. Its the cats meow in those areas and people will surely be interested.

Bengals Pro: All this media attention will get people distracted from their abysmal NFL season and the fact their franchise Quarterbacks unhappy and wants out. Anything to keep the fans interested, interest can turn to hype, hype turns to promoting, promoting turns to profit, profit turns to re-building your franchise.

TNA Con: Somewhere below the big headlines of "Marvin Lewis vs Chad Ochocinco settle their disputes in a wall of steel" will far down be the inevitable "The event, which will be hosted by "Total Nonstop Action Wrestling or "TNA" for short is a small but nationally broadcasted wrestling organization based out of Orlando, Florida". Ouch man. With all the headlines of NFL player vs Coach most will only remember the name TNA for their ordering of the PPV/Impact hype. It has the potential for new viewers to buy the PPV and watch the hype shows, however most will not remember what TNA is or that their actually not wrestling fans. I do remember a promoter in my area once stating, "if you appeal to 100 people and only 1 or 2 of those people actual become fans who support your product, then you've promoted successfully."

Bengals CON: Sending your head coach and one of your team captains to duke it out in a steel cage then your not singing a good song for your franchise "state of the gridiron". Even if this weren't to be taken serious(I certainly hope it isn't) then your also just promoting that you don't take the business of bandaging your franchise problems. Fans in the long run won't forget the 4-12 season they had. Lets hope men ages 33(Ochocinco) and 52(Lewis) can get through this physically as well.

It can't hurt TNA as a promotion other then maybe their wallets a little, however they need to do it right. Hype it on IMPACt!, give these two men trainers like Brother Ray and Brother Devon or Tommy Dreamer and Mick Foley, and air segments of them training/trash talking. Don't put your top guys or good talent in that slot, and let them put on a good under card for this match, just guys that won't be needed that night and bring Wrestling credibility to this feud for the wrestling crowd. Have this PPV as close to or in Cincinatti as possible, This can happen in Orlando but it won't have nearly as big of impact as it would in Cinci. Booking a venue in Cinci would result in a jump in attendance for the event. Give Vince Russo a cat nip toy to play with, seriously don't let him touch this angle or you'll get Chad vs Marvin in a steel cage with a collective bargaining agreement on a pole match.

Just a few thoughts.

I doubt it happens either, but in this day and age who knows? It wouldn't bring TNA into the mainstream sports eye, did Dennis Rodman "wrestling" add any credibility to WCW? Did Lawrence Taylor "wrestling" add WWF/E to the mainstream sports consciousness? No, and I don't see this idea doing anything but making a 100% mockery of the NFL and Marvin Lewis needs to have his head examined if he even considers doing it.

People immediately tuned out when she appeared on camera. Her segment was the lowest rated part of that entire episode of Impact. She flopped infront of the Impact Zone, possibly the easiest crowd to please in the history of professional wrestling. They pissed away thousands of dollars for people to tune out. In what way is that not a complete failure?

This would be idiotic, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit if TNA did this. I highly doubt Ochocinco would do it though, TNA is beyond small-time for a sports superstar like him, the guy could make more money doing less work for any number of TV shows or films.

This is TNA though, so I'm sure they'll find a new way to piss away money to no positive effects whatsoever after this silly rumor dissappears.

HAHAHA! This is a funny one. The offer will definately get them exposure. Maybe the network news/ESPN/maybe even in the newspaper.

I just wonder....exposure....With TNA trying hard by blurring the lines between what is real and what is kayfabe; adding this in will de-value the direction TNA is attempting to go in. The exposure that this angle will generate will be like a circus show and overshadow everyone else in the company. Plus it would cost a ton of money.

I don't believe that this type of garbage would work.

Ocho vs Lewis. Come on. Hey...remember Karl Malone in WCW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back