Cena's Promo

The Gribbler

Gribble me this, Gribble me that...
Just watched Smackdown for the week (I know, I know I'm half a week behind). And Je-Zuz-Christ, John Cena buried the shit out of AJ in that promo.

I don't mind the idea that Cena thinks that he has proven himself time and time again and that he is the best in the world. But that promo really painted AJ as a piece of shit.

That's fine, if AJ wins.

If Cena drops AJ in that match, it is the kind of promo that can actually do some real damage. When you spend a whole promo calling someone beneath you, and validate that by beating them it doesn't look good. Essentially he belittled the man who currently holds the WWE Title and by extension the Championship itself.

Am I reacting oddly? The promo was well delivered and everything, but the content really painted a grim picture.

Thoughts?

I loved it. Part that he droped with not spending 10 years at indy scene and part that when he beats someone people always say he buried them(also part that WWE cut off on their website) were gold. I like that kind of Cena, he "breaks 4th wall" and nicely addresses issues fans have with him. Kinda like here with Punk

[youtube]RApCvlAEDzM[/youtube]

where he says "I could increase my workrate, I could add to my 5 moves of doom or I could let my heel persona shine thru". :lmao:

Point is, IWC always complains. And when he finally tries something other then "SuperCena for kids" and be more edgy and even addresses his "haters" its not because he is great, its because

But that promo really painted AJ as a piece of shit.

oh look, he buried AJ.

Not taking on you, just how people react to it. Jack the Jobber even gave it a down on "ups and downs on Smackdown". And its great promo work by both and builds Sunday match nicely.

I don't think you're reacting oddly. I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched it. It just didn't make any sense to let it end like that without giving AJ any chance for a rebuttal. Because I know there's a million things AJ could have said/would have said but....The music just hits and AJ looked like shit because of it.

Just watched Smackdown for the week (I know, I know I'm half a week behind). And Je-Zuz-Christ, John Cena buried the shit out of AJ in that promo.

I don't mind the idea that Cena thinks that he has proven himself time and time again and that he is the best in the world. But that promo really painted AJ as a piece of shit.

That's fine, if AJ wins.

If Cena drops AJ in that match, it is the kind of promo that can actually do some real damage. When you spend a whole promo calling someone beneath you, and validate that by beating them it doesn't look good. Essentially he belittled the man who currently holds the WWE Title and by extension the Championship itself.

Am I reacting oddly? The promo was well delivered and everything, but the content really painted a grim picture.

Thoughts?

Your more than a half a week behind, they've been having these kind's of promo's since Cena came back from what it was he was doing. Filming American Grit I think.

It is always the same. Styles comes to the ring to complain about Cena doing something or being somewhere or saying something he find offensive, Cena listen's and then let's him have it. Styles has never come out on the winning end of them yet. It is a face/heel confrontation, and the heel looks bad every time.

Part of the reason is also because Styles is getting cheered when he really shouldn't be. The WWE are trying to make him as heelish as possible. Although the other night I thought his complaint about the poster was kind of silly. Who care where you are on a poster, I mean as long as you're on there that's all that should matter. I don't know who will win this weekend, but not many can go toe to toe on the mic with Cena. Styles is giving it his best shot, unfortunately he's coming up short (no pun intended).

The only part of the promo that I did not like was the today show segment. I mean cena is on national tv and he is there primarily to promote the royal rumble ppv and his match. But to me cena came off like it was a trash match and did not want to talk about it. Out of the entire segment they made aj look like he was just "a guy from Atlanta" and that cena is confident that he is going to win. I mean Jesus you couldn't have something to build up the match like "I am 0-3 against him. I have never beat him, he is a very good performer in the ring and this is my last chance to win the belt. But I am very confident that I can win, I have been working hard in gym and I am prepared." I mean that's how you build up a match, not what ever cena did.

When I watch that promo I could only think of one thing, Ike Turner saying
"Hey that's somebody's daddy right there".

I am not a fan of Cena, but his promo put everything back into perspective. The most important and unforgiving part, He only spoke the truth and that shit stung.

I enjoy Cena when he's got that edge and it's something that we've seen out of him really for the last several years. He doesn't go around trying to be all PG funny or acting all cute around his opponents as though they're no real threat to him and he doesn't have a care in the world. That's generally what bugged me about him because, to me, it just

Most of Cena's detractors are internet fan, that's always been the case and the fact of the matter is that many of them dislike even more no matter how many times he shuts his detractors up by putting on fantastic matches or revealing inconvenient truths that stings for some of them. It's true that Cena didn't spent 10+ years on the indie scene, but so what? Despite claims to the contrary, just because you spend most of your career in the indies doesn't automatically make you great; it doesn't mean that a wrestler automatically gains some sort of amazing abilities.

The only part of the promo that I did not like was the today show segment. I mean cena is on national tv and he is there primarily to promote the royal rumble ppv and his match. But to me cena came off like it was a trash match and did not want to talk about it. Out of the entire segment they made aj look like he was just "a guy from Atlanta" and that cena is confident that he is going to win. I mean Jesus you couldn't have something to build up the match like "I am 0-3 against him. I have never beat him, he is a very good performer in the ring and this is my last chance to win the belt. But I am very confident that I can win, I have been working hard in gym and I am prepared." I mean that's how you build up a match, not what ever cena did.
My sentiments exactly. It annoyed me how Cena just went along with calling AJ, "The guy with the hair" or something like that. He should've made AJ to look like a million bucks. He is way too experienced to NOT have had some type of response that would've made AJ out to be a threat.

With that said, the only time I enjoy Cena, is on the mic. He's above everyone else. He brings passion and intensity to his promos like no one else can (guys like Foley and Ziggler, try but fail).
One of the reason I feel AJ continues to get beaten by Cena on the mic is because we've heard everything AJ has said before. We've heard Rock say that Cena is full of bs and a complete phony. Punk called him an A**kisser and a product of the system. Bryan talked about Cena and the indys, and how Bryan was the better wrestler.
AJ is holding his own on the mic, but he will never be able to go word for word with Cena.

Don't complain people. This is a test. WWE has done that before. This is the ultimate test, the "veteran" gives to the "fresher" wrestler. If the fresh wrestler manages to come out of this bigger and better, he will be a success for years to come. If he doesn't, he will be just another flash in the pan.

For example, CM Punk made it through that test. John Cena himself made it through that test when Triple H was burying him every week on RAW in 2006.

My sentiments exactly. It annoyed me how Cena just went along with calling AJ, "The guy with the hair" or something like that. He should've made AJ to look like a million bucks. He is way too experienced to NOT have had some type of response that would've made AJ out to be a threat.

I'm pretty sure Cena was not supposed to do any real building on the Today show. He has been around long enough so he probably would have if he was allowed to. It probably was intentional as while those hosts probably do not watch WWE, they would have had someone feed them the information they need to hit on. He isn't an idiot.

Cena has done these types of promos for years now. Cena was fighting back against everything AJ has said since their feud started. AJ claiming he runs this place while the guy who has run the place for a decade is still there. It gave a reason why AJ beating Cena twice wasn't enough (and thus would create interest in another match). AJ has had one good year but Cena has had more.

I was fine with AJ not responding immediately but would have liked to see a backstage interview.

Also a heel got verbally eviscerated. Good. Heels are supposed to get called out on their bullshit.

Just watched this promo.

John Cena is damn good at mic, and everyone knows it although not all will accept this fact. A fact, not an opinion.

John Cena's promo at recent Smackdown episode was very good and surely better than AJ's but mic skills have never been the latter's strength. That's why John Cena was quite better than AJ at delivering it.

Not to forget that AJ has improved at the mic too but not enough for Cena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back