• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'Cause It's That Time Of The Year! - Top 10 Matches in SummerSlam History List Thread

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
1. Shawn Michaels vs Triple H @ SummerSlam 2002
2. Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect @ SummerSlam 1991
3. Ric Flair vs Mick Foley @ SummerSlam 2006
4. Kurt Angle vs Steve Austin @ SummerSlam 2001
5. Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle @ SummerSlam 2002
6. Bret Hart vs British Bulldog @ SummerSlam 1992
7. CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy @ SummerSlam 2009
8. The Rock vs Triple H @ SummerSlam 1998
9. Bret Hart vs Owen Hart @ SummerSlam 1994
10. Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage @ SummerSlam 1992

Come on, friends. I want lists! Please share your worthless opinions!

Fuck, if you guys aren't going to rush here to post your lists, I guess I'll share some honourable mentions:

-Bret Hart vs Undertaker @ SummerSlam 1997
-Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan @ SummerSlam 2005
-Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels @ SummerSlam 1995
-Hardy Boyz vs Duldley Boyz vs E&C @ SummerSlam 2000
-Edge vs Undertaker @ SummerSlam 2008

Most surprising thing about my list would the lack of John Cena. I love the guy and he's been consistently good over the years. But I can't think of one SummerSlam match from him that breaks from the pack. Which isn't a bad thing. I wish most guys could provide me with the consistent entertainment that Cena does. Still, you think that would get the guy on the list. Not so.

Most surprising thing about my list would the lack of John Cena. I love the guy and he's been consistently good over the years. But I can't think of one SummerSlam match from him that breaks from the pack. Which isn't a bad thing. I wish most guys could provide me with the consistent entertainment that Cena does. Still, you think that would get the guy on the list. Not so.

No love for his match against Batista?

1. Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart, Steel Cage
2. Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr, Intercontinental Championship
3. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon, Ladder Match
4. Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin, WWE Championship
5. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Street Fight
6. Dudley's vs. Hardy's vs. E&C, TLC II
7. Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, WWE Championship
8. Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect, Intercontinental Championship
9. Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho, 2 Out of 3 Falls
10. Randy Orton vs. Christian, World Heavyweight Championship

No love for his match against Batista?
I liked it a lot. But when compared to his matches with Orton, Jericho, Edge,, Punk, and Nexus, I struggle to pick a stand-out SummerSlam performance for Cena.

Good shout from Dragon on Orton vs Christian. Forgot that one. An easy honourable mention for me.

While not an exhibition of great wrestling, The Rock vs. Triple H vs. Kurt Angle was also pretty damn entertaining.

EDIT: RVD vs Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the Hardcore Championship was also great.

I liked it a lot. But when compared to his matches with Orton, Jericho, Edge,, Punk, and Nexus, I struggle to pick a stand-out SummerSlam performance for Cena.

Good shout from Dragon on Orton vs Christian. Forgot that one. An easy honourable mention for me.

The Punk one could've been great if it hadn't been overbooked. I also really liked the Nexus match, but Cena isn't the first guy I think of when I think of that match.

The Punk one could've been great if it hadn't been overbooked.
Not to mention the fact that it exists in the shadow of the MITB match. The direct comparison is unavoidable. And once you compare them, it's just another really good John Cena main event match.

Cena and Jericho had a pretty good match in '05, nothing spectacular but solid. SummerSlam isn't really Cena's event.
But it's not like he's shit there either. Always entertaining stuff. Standard Cena fare. Inoffensive and a welcome part of any big event.

I'm hoping this is the year where we see him have a match that breaks most people's top ten.

Not to mention the fact that it exists in the shadow of the MITB match. The direct comparison is unavoidable. And once you compare them, it's just another really good John Cena main event match.

Very true as well. There was no following that match.

Very true as well. There was no following that match.

Had they done the angle a bit better I think they could have. The whole Punk returning two weeks after he said he'd be gone forever thing kind of took the wind out of its sails, obviously it was for business as Punk was a focal point in the events promotion but still, they could have struck gold had they been patient and played the angle out right. Not like Cena vs. Rey Mysterio would have been a bad SS main event.

Had they done the angle a bit better I think they could have. The whole Punk returning two weeks after he said he'd be gone forever thing kind of took the wind out of its sails, obviously it was for business as Punk was a focal point in the events promotion but still, they could have struck gold had they been patient and played the angle out right. Not like Cena vs. Rey Mysterio would have been a bad SS main event.

That's true as well, but I didn't have too high of hopes for them to do that properly

Here are some matches that I think deserve to be mentioned in this thread -

Benoit v. Jericho (2000)
Angle v. Austin (2001)
RVD v. Benoit (2002)
Angle v. Lesnar (2003)

1) HHH vs. Michaels - '02
2) Bret vs. Owen - '94
3) Bret vs. Perfect - '91
4) Hardy vs. Punk - '09
5) Hart Foundation vs. Demolition - '90
6) HHH vs. The Rock - '98
7) Hart vs. Bulldog - '92
8) Warrior vs. Honky Tonk Man - '88 (may have been less than 30 seconds but it was so awesome that I have to put it on here)
9) HHH vs. Mankind - '97
10) HBK vs. Vader - '96

Most of the spots are interchangeable but HHH vs. Michaels. That is hands down the best match Summerslam ever had.

I view SummerSlam as Bret's event. He brought it every year no matter who he faced. Michaels and Triple H was a great story but I think Owen and Bret was a bit better.

Can't remember this match all that well. Does Michaels selling still stop it from being as good as it could've been?
Michaels being Michaels elevates it. So does the unnecessary ref bump.

I rewatched the SummerSlam 2010 main event. I'd probably rank that as Cena's best SummerSlam match. Just a lot of fun at the time. Really quite good.

Absolutely. The little match they had on Raw was fucking awesome, would have loved to have seen them get a PPV main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back