Top Ten Hell In A Cell Matches According To WWE.com!

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
10. D-Generation X vs. Mr. McMahon, Shane McMahon & Big Show, Unforgiven 2006

9. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Bad Blood 2004

8. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker, No Mercy 2002

7. Batista vs. Triple H, Vengeance 2005

6. The Undertaker vs. Edge, SummerSlam 2008

5. The Undertaker vs. Mankind, King of the Ring 1998

4. Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Rikishi, Armageddon 2000

3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVIII

2. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, Badd Blood 1997

1. Cactus Jack vs. Triple H, No Way Out 2000

Obviously this list is completely wrong. But what's most telling of all is that there are no matches from when Hell In A Cell became an annual PPV. Clearly a better gimmick when the matches were proper feud enders and meant something.

10. D-Generation X vs. Mr. McMahon, Shane McMahon & Big Show, Unforgiven 2006

9. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Bad Blood 2004

8. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker, No Mercy 2002

7. Batista vs. Triple H, Vengeance 2005

6. The Undertaker vs. Edge, SummerSlam 2008

5. The Undertaker vs. Mankind, King of the Ring 1998

4. Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Rikishi, Armageddon 2000

3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVIII

2. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, Badd Blood 1997

1. Cactus Jack vs. Triple H, No Way Out 2000

Obviously this list is completely wrong. But what's most telling of all is that there are no matches from when Hell In A Cell became an annual PPV.

Awesome when they shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Halloween Havoc always had cool stage sets anyway. Bring it on back. Get rid of No-battleground-breaking-mercy-point while you are at it.

The Undertaker vs. Mankind should always be in the top 3. Yes it was pretty much a two sick bump match, but it was the one with more meaning and that revolutionized the business. It's really a slap when I think that that match was just a filler for the The Undertaker vs. Steve Austin at SummerSlam, but I don't care, I love it (no pun).

Trip vs Shawn at Bad Blood was a great match. Probably should be in the top 5. I hated the match from Armegeddon 2000. Six men in the cell seemed ok at the time, but it was way too many factors. And Rikishi had no business in the main event. I just recently watched Taker vs Trip from last year's Mania, and that was well done as well.

I would remove Taker/Edge for Taker/Orton at Armageddon 2005, and find some way to squeeze Taker and Batista from Survivor Series 2007 in there (probably drop the six man). And for pure hilarity, Taker and Kane's Cell match from 2010 for having one the most ridiculous and over the top endings to any match I've ever seen.

What's so bad about this list? The only issue I have is maybe number one should be Undertaker and Mankind but other than that I'd say all those matches deserve a top 10 spot IMO and that's a decent enough list for me.

Trip vs Shawn at Bad Blood was a great match. Probably should be in the top 5.

It was not a great match.

It was an abomination of mutual ******io that lasted more than twice as long as it should have done and, like most HHH matches from around that time, ended with the wrong winner.

Virtually nothing going for it at all.

I hated the match from Armegeddon 2000. Six men in the cell seemed ok at the time, but it was way too many factors. And Rikishi had no business in the main event.

I agree somewhat on the legacy of the 6-man - in a way, it is the match that diluted Hell in a Cell reducing it from the culmination of a blood feud to virtually just another match.

Having said that, I still love watching it, if only for everything involving Kurt Angle - the chair shot Taker drills him with on top of the cell was brutal and how he won it. The foreshadowing of face Austin vs face Rock was pretty good in hindsight too.

I just recently watched Taker vs Trip from last year's Mania, and that was well done as well.

As for HHH vs Taker, even with HBK's overacting and the "End of an Era" nonsense, a good match with epic storytelling but I cannot call it a great Hell in a Cell match when the cell might as well not have been there.

To be completely honest, HHH vs HBK really isn't that bad. It could have been a lot better and shorter, but it's far from the worst HIAC match. I do agree that it probably shouldn't be on the list.

If they had put Taker vs Boss Man or the Kennel from Hell match though...

Trip vs Shawn at Bad Blood was a great match.

You should be banned for that.

What's so bad about this list?

Well........

The only issue I have is maybe number one should be Undertaker and Mankind

...maybe #1 should actually be the best Hell In A Cell match. Which just so happens to be the first Hell In A Cell Match.

What is this Bleacher Report? Sounds American. Not for me, pal!

I think it is American but it covers football without referring to it as soccer, so it has that going for it. Their list:

10 - Sheamus vs. Christian (2011)

9 - CM Punk vs. Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell Match (2009)

8 - Mark Henry vs. Randy Orton in a Hell in a Cell Match (2011)

7 - Randy Orton vs. Alberto Del Rio (2012)

6 - Daniel Bryan vs. the Miz vs. John Morrison in a Submission Match (2010)

5 - Wade Barrett vs. John Cena (2010)

4 - Randy Orton vs. Sheamus in a Hell in a Cell Match (2010)

3 - Randy Orton vs. John Cena in a Hell in a Cell Match (2009)

2 - John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk in a Hell in a Cell Match (2011)

1 - Sheamus vs. Big Show (2012)

What I get from that list is that the 4 Hell In A Cell shows so far haven't thrown up any great matches.

I like Big Show vs. Sheamus. I'm sure it features just outside my top 1,500 matches.

Is it a curveball...

a) because I should have expected them to put Michaels and Gameboy on the list

or

b) because you liked that match?

Reading this thread, you now have me wondering if im even remembering the right match. I watched the HIAC DVD one day out of the corner of my eye while playing Xbox. I feel like that match seemed very good through that lense.

Maybe im thinking of the Chris Jericho - Triple H one.

As always these WWE dot com lists just represent the opinion of a fews writers sitting at WWE Headquarters. I wouldn't consider this one of their worst/most inaccurate lists but it obviously doesn't please everyone either. I do have to give the writers some credit on this one though because it is hard to rate & compare HiaC matches, especially when they have changed so much over the years. Some HiaC matches feature great story telling (Mania 28 HiaC match) or some solid wrestling (The greatly debated HBK/HHH Badd Blood 04 match) but hardly use the actual cell or aren't as memorable for certain reasons. But then some HiaC matches have some very memorable spots with the cell but really aren't all that great of a wrestling match (most notably Taker/Foley from KotR 98). Personally I think a truly great HiaC match has most, if not all, of those components. So I tried to compose my list based on all factors with the biggest factor being how much I remember the match or if I remember the match at all because after all if a match isn't memorable or doesn't sticks in your head for one reason or another was it really all that great???

My Personal Top Ten Hell In A Cell Matches Of All Time:
10.) The Undertaker vs. Randy Orton [Armageddon 2005]

9.) D-Generation X vs. The Legacy [Hell In A Cell 2009]

8.) The Undertaker vs. Triple H with Special Guest Referee: Shawn Michaels [WrestleMania XXVIII]

7.) Chris Jericho vs. Triple H [Judgment Day 2002]

6.) Cactus Jack vs. Triple H [No Way Out 2000]

5.) The Undertaker vs. Edge [SummerSlam 2008]

4.) Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Rikishi [Armageddon 2000]

3.) Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker [No Mercy 2002]

2.) The Undertaker vs. Mankind [King of the Ring 1998]

1.) The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels [Badd Blood 1997]

I would definitly agree that the most telling thing about making a list or looking at the WWE's list is that HiaC was much better around the time when it was first created & that having HiaC as it's own gimmick PPV doesn't work & really hasn't delivered when it comes to both HiaC matches & the PPV's as a whole.

Reading this thread, you now have me wondering if im even remembering the right match. I watched the HIAC DVD one day out of the corner of my eye while playing Xbox. I feel like that match seemed very good through that lense.
Trust me -- the match gets far worse when you actually attempt to watch it.

I'm sticking by what I said. HIAC at Bad Blood was a good match. Furthermore, I enjoyed it more than No Way Out '00. Yep I said it. I know folks hate on Trip and Shawn, and it could be just. But it was a good way to end their two year feud. It didn't really matter who won, especially since the title wasn't involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back