• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can We Knock Sting for Not Going to the WWE?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Sting: The wrestling icon. Sting has been in wrestling for over 30 years. He got into the business tagging with the Ultimate Warrior as "the Blade Runners" in the early 1980's. But went solo in the mid-80's in NWA wrestling. Which evolved into WCW where Sting at one point was the face of the company and later on became a strong cornerstone to the foundation of WCW. But after WCW was bought out by the then-WWF now WWE, Sting didn't sign with them. He was always in different about signning with Vince McMahon.

But in the mid-2000's Sting signed to TNA/Impact Wrestling as their legendary star. Where he had breif feuds with Kurt Angle, Jeff Jarrett and others. But never tested the waters of the WWE. Now can we knock Sting for not signning with the WWE? Where he missed out of epic feuds with the likes of Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Triple H, and even Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime! The deck was well stacked for the Stinger at one point or another.

What do you think? Can we knock Sting for not going to the WWE?

No.

Sting has given us so many moments over the years that it's impossible to keep track of them all. He's the biggest homegrown star WCW ever had (before you schnooks start typing it, yes I know he started in the UWF and that's missing the point) and was the biggest star in the world in 1997. Even today he's still a big deal in TNA and would be if he went to the WWE.

Sting is a guy who doesn't need to go to the WWE and people saying he's not a huge star if he doesn't is ridiculous. The thing Sting is most famous for above almost all else is that he HASN'T gone to WWE. It's like breaking Undertaker's Streak. If you take that away, his career takes a few steps down. Sting is certainly not someone that needed the WWE and his career proves that.

I don't know why Sting never went to the WWE, but maybe, just maybe, he doesn't want to. Why is that so hard to grasp/

It's hard to say but if WCW was still going or if TNA was actually competition for the WWE, I would say no.

His accomplishments speak for themselves, but not being in the WWE does hurt his legacy.

For comparisons sake, Doug Flutie was an awesome college quarterback and dominated in the Canadian Football League. But since his success never carried into the NFL, Doug Flutie does not belong in the same tier as Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or other elite quarterbacks.

That being said, I do need to mention that the "surfer" Sting was great. The "crow" Sting vs the NWO is one of the best angles in wrestling history. But his new "insane icon" Sting in TNA is a waste.

I do think that for legacy's sake, if he were to join the WWE now. He should at least get a quick run as the Smackdown Champion, like Hulk Hogan's short run as the Undisputed Champion. This way he isn't just fed to the Undertaker's streak and can go out with some dignity

And if he never joins the WWE, the WWE needs to cut a deal and induct him into the Hall of Fame. Sting is more deserving than Abdullah the Butcher, even if they both never wrestled for the WWE. Then we can get DVD for his career and a Rivals DVD with Ric Flair. And having him be officially in WWE video games would be awesome.

The more important question would be, "why would Sting care if people he'd never met and whom had never been in his shoes criticized his career decisions?" It's sort of like a log falling in a forest.

Maybe the question could be phrased a bit different. "Would Sting have made more money over his career if he had a few WWE seasons as well?" "Would Sting be more recognizable than he is if he had a WWE stint?" Asking if it's OK to 'knock him' is just silly. He's done way more with his career than you have, or, for that matter, way more with his career than most of his professional peers. What in the hell does it matter what you think?

To start with, Sting said in an interview around the time he signed with TNA, that he was originally thinking about giving it a go in the E...until he saw the first WCW guy on WWE television. It was Booker, and the Rock looked at him and said "Who the hell are you?"

I think he realized how every WCW guy was going to be portrayed, that being some nobody talent from some crap company. And when you think about it, that's pretty much how it worked out. I mean, Booker was the only guy who lasted, but his first run was only about 5 years, and most were gone by 2-3 years.

Another thing is Vinny doesn't think too much of him, that he's not so great, largely because he can't stand something someone else created.

With all that being said, no one should criticize him for not going over to that garbage. He has had an amazing career, and imagine TNA if he'd never shown up, or only stayed a year or 2 and gone to the WWE? He made a huge impact on TNA, and made the product better, helped them grow, and was a great vet to have in the back. I also commend him for sticking to his guns and not caring what anyone else wants, and I like that he is loyal to the company he works for as well.

I also think that he will never go at this point. This is a point in time where half the WWE audience doesn't even know who sting is (teens and younger and non-TNA fans)

If WCW wasn't as big as it once was then maybe. People talk about him not going to the big show and how that is somehow a mark on Sting's career, but fact of the matter is there was a time when Nitro was also the big show and WCW was every bit the big dance along with WWE and Sting was the mega face of WCW.

Of course nowadays WCW has well and truly faded, so most of the fans coming through now have no idea that there was a time when there was two "major leagues" sure Sting wasn't in the one that exists today, but at the time there was two big leagues and Sting was clearly more than good enough to be a superstar in one of them.

I don't understand why people want to take shots at the guy for going to TNA and helping grow another company, helping more young talent, this is great for wrestling as a whole.

If anything I think not going to WWE enhances Sting's legacy. He retires as the biggest North American star to not go to WWE rather than one of numerous stars that worked for both.

But if you want to knock a fabulous talent who has entertained fans for years, hasn't been surrounded by any backstage politic bullshit because he didn't have his career path dictated by Vince opening his check book then have at it.

Where he missed out of epic feuds with the likes of Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Triple H, and even Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime! The deck was well stacked for the Stinger at one point or another.

What do you think? Can we knock Sting for not going to the WWE?

All of you who think he never made it to the big time because he never wrestled for WWF/E need to realize that he was the number one wrestler in the world for the number one wrestling company (WCW) in the world during 1996-1997. Why isn't that good enough. At that time WCW WAS the bigger wrestling company and he was their top guy. Isn't that good enough?

How do you knock him for not going there? Dusty Rhodes was made into a goof, Harley Race was made into a goof, Steamboat fought midgets, Steiner was buried (granted he was in bad shape, but that could have been hidden) Goldberg was turned into The Rock and HHH's whipping boy, DDP was turned into a goofy stalker (um have you seen DDP's then wife?!) and the only way Booker T got the belt was by turning himself into a goofy king. WWF/E had a terrible track record of burying WCW/NWA champions. The only exception was (for some reason) Ric Flair. Do I personally think that Sting would have been buried in WWF/E-NO I DON'T! I seriously think that if Vince would have gotten a hold of Sting circa 1990 he would have turned him into his next Hulk Hogan. The WWF/E has always put Sting WAY over in all of their DVD's and all of their web reviews of WCW/NWA. To be honest I can't believe how much they still put him over, but if I were Sting I would be worried about how I would have been used too. Just due to how 99% of the other WCW/NWA guys that went to the WWF/E were treated.

As for the missed feuds...He had feuds with Austin and Undertaker when they were in their prime when they were in WCW. By the time Austin hit the big time he wasn't the worker he was when he was in WCW. This is widely known (I believe Austin even commented on in in an interview about how he hit the big time and his body wasn't what it was) Sting had a few matches against Undertaker when he was Mean Mark in WCW. Sting also had matches against Kane when he was in WCW too. I don't think he ever wrestled HHH when he was in WCW and I know he never wrestled HBK. So, while it is true that we missed out on those matches I can live without them. As great as HBK is it doesn't bother me that I will never get to see that match and I have never been a HHH fan so I don't care about that one either. Therefore, I have seen him wrestle everyone else that matters (to me) except for the Rock.

"Another thing is Vinny doesn't think too much of him, that he's not so great, largely because he can't stand something someone else created. "

vinny may not care but triple h does. According to reports and also some have been confirmed by sting, triple h has tried to sign sting on a legends deal.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

Sure we can. I doubt Sting would care, though.

Thing is, not being a guy who was actually made in the WWE has always put people at a distinct disadvantage when they did finally get there. The WWE has a track record of disregarding their previous accomplishments or not using those guys properly. In some cases they even forced established talents to start from scratch with new, sometimes horrible character (Mankind, the Ringmaster). Think of guys like Dusty Rhodes, Vader, DDP or Goldberg and how quickly they ran out of steam in the WWE. Polka dots. Wigs. (Sigh.) Even Ric Flair, when he initially came to the WWF, just came across like some goof who had walked in from the street claiming to be "the real world champion." It always seemed like the WWE didn't know how or refused to properly use talents they hadn't groomed and established themselves.

Given this history it is completely understandable how Sting, who doesn't depend on the paycheck, figures it might be safer not to risk the WWE messing up his legacy. For all we know they would have him feud with Kane (because the feud everyone really wants to see with Taker is considered a no-go because they're both so old) and soon thereafter he would get sidetracked tag teaming with the Great Khali or be in a romance angle with AJ or Vickie Guerrero. Don't tell me the WWE creative team wouldn't be capable of that.

Knock him, if you want. I think his decision should be respected.

No, I mean I am disappointed that he never went to the WWF/E ever. But despite that Sting is still an all time great. If you follow professional wrestling, sorry "Great Big Organization Up North", you're not going to sway me into thinking of you as anything else, then Sting should definitely be held in regard as one of the best, period. I definitely agree that there's a solid case to argue that he'd be a bigger legend if he did jump ship from WCW, but let's look at things like this; these days Sting is featured prevalently on WWE's website and you can even find an Alumni page devoted to him on the site. Also, you can't make a WCW retrospective DVD/Blu-Ray without prominently featuring him. WWE indeed acknowledges Sting as something special, all I can say is that I am disappointed he never jumped ship but this doesn't make me think of him any less as a legend in the wrestling world.

All of you who think he never made it to the big time because he never wrestled for WWF/E need to realize that he was the number one wrestler in the world for the number one wrestling company (WCW) in the world during 1996-1997. Why isn't that good enough. At that time WCW WAS the bigger wrestling company and he was their top guy. Isn't that good enough?

The WWE has a track record of disregarding their previous accomplishments or not using those guys properly. In some cases they even forced established talents to start from scratch with new, sometimes horrible character (Mankind, the Ringmaster). Think of guys like Dusty Rhodes, Vader, DDP or Goldberg and how quickly they ran out of steam in the WWE. Polka dots. Wigs. (Sigh.) Even Ric Flair, when he initially came to the WWF, just came across like some goof who had walked in from the street claiming to be "the real world champion." It always seemed like the WWE didn't know how or refused to properly use talents they hadn't groomed and established themselves.

Given this history it is completely understandable how Sting, who doesn't depend on the paycheck, figures it might be safer not to risk the WWE messing up his legacy. For all we know they would have him feud with Kane (because the feud everyone really wants to see with Taker is considered a no-go because they're both so old) and soon thereafter he would get sidetracked tag teaming with the Great Khali or be in a romance angle with AJ or Vickie Guerrero. Don't tell me the WWE creative team wouldn't be capable of that.

Knock him, if you want. I think his decision should be respected.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Its Sting's wrestling career. He can wrestle wherever he wants.

Sting is still one of the Greatest Wrestlers of all time.

I don't think Sting should be viewed any differently. I think it's unfortunate that when people are ranking the all time great wrestlers, that Sting is going to be ranked lower than where I think he deserves. even if he had gone to the WWE back when they bought out WCW, I don't think it would have helped Sting that much. I don't know if Sting would have gotten a major push for a world title, or had a successful run with a world title even if he did win it.

it seems in recent years the one match people have wanted to see, was Sting vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania. I am one who is so glad that never happened. if Sting had gone to the WWE to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania, you know what would have happened. Sting would have lost and been just another "name" to add to the list for Undertaker to remain undefeated at Wrestlemania.
of those who would have been excited to see Sting go and face Undertaker at Wrestlemania, how many would have been happy/satisfied if Sting had been the one to beat Undertaker? not many I believe. I think many people would have actually be upset had that happened. so why should Sting have gone to the WWE to job to an overrated Undertaker based on a Wrestlemania undefeated streak??

maybe if Sting had gone to WWE back when he was in his prime, similar to how Ric Flair did, then maybe Sting would have/could have had more of an effect in WWE. once he got towards the end of his career (recent years), I just don't think it would have been worth it to go to WWE.

Yes. Sting was constantly the #1 guy in the #2 company. He never went to the big leagues, and as such I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, etc. It's like being the #1 player in arena football for 30 years and refusing to play in the NFL.

Yes. Sting was constantly the #1 guy in the #2 company. He never went to the big leagues, and as such I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, etc. It's like being the #1 player in arena football for 30 years and refusing to play in the NFL.

WCW was eqaully as big as WWF/WWE and beat WWF in ratings for consecutive 84 weeks.. WCW was the No.1 Wrestling company from 1996-1998.

Sting HAS worked for the biggest wrestling company.

While I think it is unfortunate that Sting is spending the last serviceable years of his career working for TNA (I'd prefer he had just retired after WCW) I don't think its fair to say he owes it to anyone to go to WWE. I hoped to see him wrestle at least one match in WWE but it never happened...and while I'm disappointed I don't harbor feelings of resentment about it. I just accept that Sting made career decisions he felt suited he and his legacy best.

As much as WWE likes to play revisionist history, HBK was not ever a star on Sting's level. During his two year peak Sting was one of the biggest money makers of all time. Easily bigger than HBK, probably bigger than Bret.

Also you're AFL/WcW comparison is laughable. Has anyone in their life ever skipped an NFL game to watch an AFL game? No because AFL won't even compete with the NFL, they schedule their season during the NFL off season. WcW went head to head with WWF and destroyed them for 2 years and were competition for about 2 more. WcW was the number 1 wrestling company in the world probably until WM14.

You can say whatever you want about Sting. But it seems to me that nothing more than stubbornness is what created this gap between him and the WWE. So when you defend him, all I see defending is a little child who is being a snot about getting the wrong flavour of ice cream.

This is business. And regardless of whether you like it or not. WWE is the pinnacle of the wrestling business. And it shows when people argue "He could have wrestled HBK, or HHH, or Angle all back in their prime.". People know, that he missed out on some big potentially history making feuds. All because WWE isnt his favorite flavor of ice cream. Or maybe because he has beef with someone.

Would you stop going to work because you had beef with someone? Would you not take a promotion in your own workplace because you had beef with someone? Well that makes YOU an idiot and a baby.

I will accord Sting the respect he deserves for what few true accomplishments he has in the business (some of which no one will ever see - Ive been told him and Great Muta put on quite a show) BUT that isnt very much considering how much more the younger talent has done that has been broadcast to worldwide audiences. My point here is that Sting deserves respect for what he did, but the truth is, he and his accomplishments are easily forgettable with all the other stars out there.

So go ahead Sting, be a crochety old stubborn asshole refusing the greatness that was offered you. Truth be known Im kinda glad you turned HHH down. I doubt kids are your demographic anymore. If John Cena cant get over with the adults and the IWC with his 5 moves what makes you think you and your 3 moves are going to impress anyone? Sorry 2.5 moves. His "Scorpion Deathlock" is probably the shittiest Sharpshooter of them all. Im pretty sure a parapalegic could sell that move better than he can.

OK...I was a huge WCW fan mostly because my parents wouldnt allow me to watch WWF because of DX even though I would sneak and watch it anyway. Sting was never EVER the top guy in WCW. Sometimes I wonder if people on here ever watched wrestling lol. Hogan was the top guy from 1994-1998 after that it was either Goldberg or Nash than after them it was Jeff Jarrett, after him I guess you could say Booker T. When the hell was Sting ever the top guy? All he ever was was one of the 4000 members of the NWO, sure he got some title runs but so did everybody else. Every time he got the belt he would lose it in like a month. I watched every Nitro and WCW ppv from WCW from 1994-2000 and I never considered or saw the WCW consider Sting their top guy.

I don't think there is any reason to knock Sting for not going to WWE.

WWE has cemented its position as the top wrestling promotion in the world. It has been, and probably always will be. With that, there is always that feeling that every big star, or 'icon' from any other promotion has to do a stint in WWE to truly cement their legacy, but I do not agree.

Sting in WWE has never really felt like it would be a good fit to me. Sting has spoken on many, many occasions about his value, and beliefs both religious and personal. Sting has commented that WWE has not always reflected those views and beliefs, and even in the PG era I'm not sure they would.

I actually give credit to Sting for staying in TNA, and doing what he believes is the right thing by the promotion. WWE would never build a promotion around Sting in this day and age, and probably never would have. TNA not only brought Sting in, but they did build much of the organization and storylines around him. He received fan fare and exposure that much of TNA's homegrown talent could only dream of getting. He's said on multiple occasions that he believes in TNA, enjoys working for Dixie, and wants to help the promotion get to another level. Whether or not his presence in the company has or will ever do that is very debatable, but I admire his willingness to stand by the #2 folks with an intent to put the promotion above himself, even when that very promotion often puts him above too many other things.

Like a lot of people, I'd love to see Sting at a Wrestlemania, even if just one time. He is an icon in the business, and does deserve the chance to have that one moment at a Wrestlemania, but if he doesn't want it, it's his choice and I respect that. Unlike a lot of people, I have no desire to see Sting come to WWE to face Undertaker. WWE simply has too much of it's own, young talent that could benefit from that exposure.

it would be an epic moment to see sting challenge the undertaker for the streak as its almost certain it would happen if he joined.but i think that oppertunity has come and gone and as mentioned earlier he would just become another name on the list.it would have been best if he had joined shortly after the alliance imo when vince had almost finished gloating and a lot of the wcw stars had settled in chances are he would have had the world title a few times by now.having said that vince could of had him constantly jobbing doing ridiculous crap and angles basically made a mockery of and i think thats why sting didnt join and i dont think anyone can blame him.tna is nowhere near as big as wwe but sting is getting on in years and is the company legend and it sounds like hes more then happy with that.on a further note though i seem to remember him saying he had a problem with the wwes edgy content which i really dont get as tna is much worse i dunno how long ago he said that though to be fair.

Can we knock him? Hell No.

Can I be really really bitchy about the matchups that could've been? Hell Yeah.

I can't be arsed but did the OP say he wasn't huge? He had brief feuds in TNA?

Somebody else tackle him in this thread. But for me Sting's star won't diminish if he doesn't enter a WWE ring. I want him to, but it seems to me that Mr. Borden, is quite content. He has achieved the pinnacle of any superstar by being THE guy for WCW at their peak. For me,he was a big chunk why they were winning the Monday Night Wars too. I respect the man, his loyalty, his body of work but...COME ON STEVE! One Mania Please!

You cant fault the guy but when they brought over Hogan & Macho Man & made him the#3 face after all his years of loyalty he should of jumped to the WWE then.Imagine surfer sting vs HBK,Sting vs UnderTaker 95,Sting vs Bret Hart in his prime.
Sting vs Owen.If Sting would of jumped late 94 early 95 I think Vince would of givin him not just a push ut I think he would of gave him the ball & let him run with it.Imagine the WWF marketing machine behind Sting in 95.He was a younger,faster,better in ring ultimate warrior who HBK would of looked like a million bucks in the ring with him.
Ric Flair said on his dvd that he told Sting the biggest mistake he ever made was not going to New York(WWF)
Now his reason for not going in 2001 is bs also because I bet with him having Barry Bloom a lawyer,as his agent he could of made a deal where he could opt out if he felt he was being buried.the real reason is because he needed time off & didn't like the sex & cusing on tv in the WWE.Not to mention he was getting huge independent payoffs in Japan and wrestling all stars,
Finaly in 2010 when he was in negotiations he didn't go because it was about 6 months to late.it was October,right after Bound 4 Glory & Survivor Series in WWE land meaning they were on there road to WRESTLEMANIA.Sting was not going to come in & see lights in his 1st match & maybe only WrestleMania match jobbing to the UnderTaker.Dont get me wrong Sting would JOB 2 TAKER @ MANIA no problem...But after some build up and some smackdown squash matches of people like Ryder,Santino,Then a good 8 min match with Kane,but there wasn't enough time.People hate on Dixie a lot,but she is smart when it comes to her Hall of Famer Sting/Everytime she talks him into doing a 1 year deal it always starts & ends in late November,that was Sting can't do the road to WrestleMania by time his no compete claus is over.
I think WrestleMania would be a perfect WWE debut for Sting but not against Taker.Taker will be busy with either Brock or Cena,so Sting should call out Taker and either Kane comes out and says he has to go through him 1st,or HHH comes out saying who do u think you are that you can just come into my company & challenge our most prestigious star on the biggest stage of all.Then since Taker & Sting are both severe part timers they can wrestle at wrestlemania 31.hen they can both go out on top

Sting was the franchise player in WCW, Hogan went heel because WCW fans would not embrace him like the Stinger. He is famous for being the one big name not to jump to the WWF when the Flairs, Lugers, Steiners were all jumping to Vince's checkbook. He is even more famous for being the ONLY major name that didn't cash in a quick buck after WCW went bust.

What did he do? He helped out a fledgling organisation and is credited as being the real reason behind Spike picking up TNA for their programming (in fact, it has been stated that Spike was not going to pick up TNA UNLESS Sting was on the roster). Now, I know that people slander TNA as being little more than an Indie promotion but, on a global scale, I'd counter that it might actually be more successful than WCW ever was, as the yearly British tour and Impact's weekly British ratings are very indicative off.

Sting has been credited as the biggest drawing reason for both WCW and TNA's highest PPV buy rate (Starrcade 1997 and Final Resolution 2006).

Sting COULD have went to the WWF/ WWe several times for bigger money and never has. On at least two of those occasions he has chosen to stay with a smaller organisation. Had he jumped in the early 90s, would the WCW have even been in business for the Monday Night Wars? Had he refused to sign with TNA and Spike had declined on picking them up, would we Brits be watching things like Impact, Xplosion, TNA PPVs, TNA Epics, British Boot Camp, Unfinished Business or even WTTV today? Would TNA be promoting their SIXTH British tour at the moment? Would we have the chance to have the arguments over originals versus WW(r)e(jects)?

If Sting went and fought for the WWF/ WWe at any stage over the years, chances are he would fall into a category with the Bill Goldbergs and Booker Ts. What WCW headliner ever enhanced his career there? As it is Sting has a storied career in TWO international wrestling organisations and will always be the biggest name in VKM's ownership to never work for him: as much as I'd have liked to see Sting against the likes of SCSA, Rock, Taker etc; I think that is a pretty massive accolade that no-one else can claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back