• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can it happen? Will it happen? How will it happen?

The Life Of Pablo Ren

I know my name/avi/sig don't match.
For the past few months now I've been hearing and reading interviews by Jeff Jarrett. One point that he really wants to get across is that he believes wrestling is due for another boom period. A huge spike in popularity, similar to the one in the mid-90's when it was very much in the mainstream. I'm not trying to imply that wrestling is obsolete but it has certainly seen it's better days... so my three questions to you are.

Can another boom period happen?

Will another boom period happen?

And what will have to happen in order for it to happen?

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I think Jeff Jarrett's spouting some hype in order to make his new promotion sound as promising as he possibly can. Nothing wrong with that but, as I said, Jarrett's pushing his own agenda in the hopes of creating interest in his company. The problem is that Jarrett's own history is working against him as TNA would've gone under within a year or so had he not sold controlling interest of the company to Bob Carter and due to Carter pumping millions into TNA.

I don't expect another boom period to come about anytime soon. The mid 90s to very early 2000s had some things going for it that wrestling today just doesn't have:

1. A genuine rivalry between WCW and WWF - With Eric Bischoff being given creative control of WCW and the near limitless financial resources of Ted Turner, WCW became a genuine competitor to WWF. They had the money to steal away some of WWF's biggest names and they did just that. It was a reversal of roles as Vince found himself on the receiving end of having his talent poached as he himself had done throughout much of the 80s. Vince viewed it as something of an insult, which is good because that's exactly what Eric Bischoff meant it to be. Bischoff himself stated that he wanted to put WWF out of business; I've no idea if he was serious or if he was just spouting some bullshit, but the fact remains that he said it.

2. Not only was WCW a genuine rivalry to WWF, it was a genuine threat - For quite a while, WCW was more than able to hold its won against WWF. The Monday Night Wars was a ratings war that WCW won for 87 consecutive weeks. They didn't blow WWF away or anything, but they did outdraw them. After that, it became mostly a back & forth thing where WWF would win for a week or several weeks, then WCW would do the same thing. There's nobody that's a genuine threat to WWE, certainly not TNA or ROH. ROH has a syndicated television deal and most of the past year has seen TNA hit by financial issues and falling ratings.

3. The rise and reach of the internet has destroyed the mystique of wrestling while creating a new breed of fan. - Pro wrestling no longer has the mystique it enjoyed and that's due in large part to the internet. However, I think perhaps the single biggest change has been the internet's impact on fans. If you go onto the forums of any wrestling news site, you'll read any number of posts from fans who seem to do little more than complain about the product. There's nothing wrong with voicing criticisms about what you're not into, but it's become FAR more than that. Because of the internet and the look behind the curtain it affords them, more than a fair amount of wrestling fans get it into their heads that they're experts in how wrestling works. More often than not, the reason it works so well in their minds is that it's run like a fantasy baseball or football league where there are no potential financial consequences to their scenarios. More often than not, it's just one endless barrage of complaints regarding wrestlers who should be pushed, companies don't defend their titles enough, titles don't mean anything anymore, matches need to have more high spots, matches need to have fewer high spots, WWE should bring blood back into matches, this company is rehashing this storyline or rehashing that angle, they want fresh faces in the main event, they gripe when they get fresh faces in the main event, they complain about a lack of unpredictability when they troll the internet trying to find spoilers for upcoming pushes, feuds, matches, results from TV tapings, any little bit of backstage gossip or rumors and on and on it goes. Then you have the armchair fantasy bookers who often set up these elaborate storylines in their heads in which they get their expectations to such a degree that they honestly get pissed when a wrestling company actually has the audacity to not implement them.

There's just nothing out there to really suggest that another boom period is coming. Even if Jarrett's company is successful, it'll almost certainly be years before they're able to even consider approaching WWE as competitors. You also can't just try to manufacture another "Monday Night War" anymore than you can purposely set out to recreate the magic that was The Undertaker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania. TNA tried to manufacture a new Monday Night War, thus ushering in a potential boom period. However, what happened was an embarrassment that saw TNA draw some of the very worst numbers in its history; they still haven't really recovered as far as ratings go and now have to struggle to even reach 1.0 in the ratings.

Sure, it "could" happen, but this kind of thing is impossible to predict or forecast. It takes the right combination of elements in pop culture and wrestling itself, and there is usually very little pre-cursor. A uptick in the economy would help.

I'd say a boom for the WWE is coming. Not necessarily for pro wrestling as a whole.

I think we will see WWE weaved into American pop culture again like it was in the Hogan days. More athletes, entertainers and musicians are publicly embracing the WWE and I'm seeing those WWE Title belts pop up everywhere. People were talking about the Undertaker thing like it was a big deal and they definitely have the potential for a few more tricks up their sleeve to get huge buzzes with a Cena heel turn or a Punk return. Product is getting better and more youth is being called up.

And with the WWE's extremely bright diagnosis, that makes a very grim diagnosis for the rest of the industry, as America embracing WWE more means it's less likely for them to do the same for a GFW or TNA or ROH. But then again, as of January 2015, WWE, TNA, GFW, AAA will all be on national television, hopefully ROH too. That's 4/5 different options on national television for the wrestling fan, so each company will definitely be on it's A-Game. So while I'm not sure a popularity boom is coming, a quality and fan enjoyment boom is DEFINITELY coming as soon as 2015 as there will be 5 major companies competing for the pro wrestling fan's attention, and 5 major companies as options for the talent to go to.

The next twelve months will be very interesting for pro wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back