Bully Ray as TNA World Champion?

The Bearded One

Love is not admissable evidence.
From Gabe Sapolsky's Facebook:

Daily Discussion: If I was booking TNA/Impact Wrestling, Bully Ray would be world champion. Do you agree or disagree with that decision?

I think Bully Ray has been the most effective heel in TNA so far this year. He's great at getting heat and just seems like an all around unlikeable human being. He's had a few very matches as well. TNA has done something that the WWE was unable to do and make Ray into a legitimate high midcard to main event caliber single's wrestler. But do you agree that Ray should be TNA World Heavyweight Champion?

My first thought was why not? I mean I think he would be entertaining with the belt and have a decent reign, although I'd rather keep it a short reign. But the more I thought about and the more comments I read on Sapolsky's post, I started to think otherwise. I do still think he should be champion, but not World Champion.

I would have him in Abyss's place as the one who is called upon to kill the X Division. I know he has already had a similar storyline a few years ago, but I think it would be more effective this time with the Bully Ray character. Bullies pick on people that are smaller than them until one of them stands up against him. That's exactly what Ray would do to the X Division. He would be able to beat up on the smaller guys and run his mouth about how much tougher he is, until someone, like Kendrick, actually stands up against him and beats him for the title. I think Ray would do a better job of selling the killing of the X Division because of his Bully persona and his great mic skills.

As for Abyss, I would have him in Ray's current position as the enforcer for Immortal.

So, do you think Bully Ray should be TNA World Heavyweight Champion?

Well why not? I never thought Ray would be good as a singles wrestler and he proved me wrong, so he could be TNA world champion. The only problem i have with that, is that Ray is getting a little too old to do it. If it was 5 years ago sure, but now meh not so sure. Then again i never thought he would be good as a singles wrestler, so i could be wrong again.

He is so good as a heel people would pay to see him lose. Wade Keller also said he would have Bully Ray win the BFG and win the title. It would be great watching faces trying to chase him.

Absolutely. Ray is such a good heel, it's nearly a sin not to put the belt on him even once. Fuck the IWC and their ignorance. Ray has been incredible and he deserves this.

Bully Ray has transitioned into the shock of the year.

Who really took him seriously when he renamed himself Bully Ray? It wasn't exactly the most creative name change ever but due to the Jeff Hardy incident, he got to feud with AJ Styles and that has done him wonders. In his feud with AJ they made him look like a legitimate contendor in TNA, they made him look tough, they really emphazied what Ray is, and Ray is a wrestler. That dude is somebody who really would probably slap someone in the face if you tried to get him, to refer to himself as any different.

His match-up with AJ Styles was brilliant asides from the jump off of the giant beam. Thought that wasn't very convincing. And even his match was Steiner wasn't half bad.

The one thing that's making the character is Ray's microphone work. He can cut some great promos.

The problem with Bully Ray being Tna World Champion is exactly that Bully Ray being champion. Yes Ray has been an effective heel but I don't think he deserves it over guys like Aj or Anderson. Plus I don't think Ray draws horse shit.

Bully Ray is personally my favorite wrestler in all of "Impact" wrestling. his mic skill are among the best in all of wrestling. hes a very talented veteran and he has the ability to draw lots and lots of heat. he is the best mic worker on Impact and could be one of the best in the biz. his in ring work is great too and he easily has lots of chemistry with a lot of guys in Impact Wrestling. he knows what to look for in talent and he still puts on some great matches weather its a cage match, a tables match, a street fight, a tag match, a hardcore match, or a singles match. he changed his character and changed his look. hes more physically fit and its working for him. in my opinion he is one of the most well deserving of the top spot. since becoming a singles star hes had some great matches with devon, aj styles, and big poppa pump, and now hes basically the lead mic worker for Immortal. i think he would be one hell of a champion if given the opportunity and could be one of the best in Impact Wrestling history. he deserves it way more then anderson. anderson is absolute garbage. i can honestly see why wwe changed his personality. he annoys the living hell out of me and what has he done to deserve that strap.

The problem with Bully Ray being Tna World Champion is exactly that Bully Ray being champion. Yes Ray has been an effective heel but I don't think he deserves it over guys like Aj or Anderson. Plus I don't think Ray draws horse shit.
Anderson himself doesn't deserve the belt more than AJ, and where's your proof that Anderson draws anything? Ray can really end up shocking people again. He's the type of heel you WANT to see get his ass kicked and he knows that, and delivers when it comes to that confrontation. Trust me, guys like Ray are money.

I'd rather have Bully Ray holding the title than Anderson, Sting, Steiner or any of the other veterans. And that includes Jeff Jarrett and Kurt Angle. He's interesting, he's got a fresh character that can feud with anyone, and hearing him cut loose on the mic as world champ would be great.

Bully Ray as champion ? Really ? I can't see that ever happening - I can see the title heading back to Sting soon. Maybe if they keep creating him as a monster heel he could become champion and a feud with AJ Styles for the title would be welcome.

I don't think he's championship material. I think he can help elevate some young babyfaces with his super heel skills

Can i be the first to say...HELL NO! im not sayin i dont like his new character but there are alot of people i would put before him infact hes way down on my list. Yes hes been really gd and stepped up when imortal were looking weak but i would never everrrr give him the world strap. Roode,storm,daniels,morgan,crimson(my fav wreslter atm),the pope,gunner(hes like a wolverine its such a badass character),Kaz,joe,and one of my fav of all time scotty steiner should all be ahead of bully ray on that list

How long before Hogan gets the title ?

I know his back is all messed up - but it's more likely in the crazy world of Hulk Hogan.

6 months ago I would have looked at that post and probably gave you and anyone who agreed with it a red rep... lol

Seriously, Bully Ray has been awesome in his new role and his weight loss has helped him out in the ring...

AJ and Bully Ray's last man standing match could have easily been the main event of any TNA PPV and if it was for the World Title, it would have been a good way to put the title on him for a few months...

I think a lot of fans would have atleast tuned in to see the "Shock Value" of Bubba Ray Dudley being a World Champion in 2011... I think most skeptics of this idea would really be surprised at what Ray has done for himself and his character...

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all... (Though a long run could become stale pretty fast)

Bully Ray deserves at least one reign as a world champion, even if it is Impact. He has one of the best minds in the business in the ring and outside from his days in ECW.

If given a chance to hold the belt, he could be awesome.

Bully Ray is the best pure heel wrestling has had since Triple H's last run as a heel. Ray is an old school heel that makes you want to pound him into paste.

That said I don't think it is a question if you believe Bully Ray should be champion, I think the question is can Bully Ray make you want to pound his ass into the ground enough to get behind any Face they put in front on him. Can his ugly face and name BULLY, along with his bad attitude and ability to cut a great promo enough to make more fans tune in when they see him bad mouthing a guy.

Roddy Piper about 14 years ago made an excellent point when he asked Hulk Hogan one question. "Do you think they would have been cheering you so much if they didn't hate me so much?" I would have to answer no to that. If Bully Ray could make people hate him that much then yes, I think he should be champion because he will make everyone who faces him that much better.

Yeah, I think he could be. Outside of Jeff Jarrett, who's currently working in AAA down in Mexico, I haven't enjoyed any heel in TNA more than Bully Ray over the past six months. In fact, while watching Impact last night, my brother and I were having a conversation about whether Ray is one of the top five heels in either TNA or WWE, and came to the agreement that he has to be. He plays his character more naturally than just about anyone else in the business, and can get heat with so little effort that it's kinda shocking. Just listen to how much of a reaction he gets anytime he speaks and you'll see for yourself. Ray is now an incredible heel, and a JBL-like reign might work for him. I'm not saying it should be that long, as the match quality would probably depend on who his opponent is, but cheating his ass off then bragging about his superiority to his opponent sounds like a winning formula to me.

I can kinda see Bully Ray as a transitional champion. I think he would be great as a champion for a lil while not long, maybe a month or 2 reign that's it. They can use his reign to put one of the originals back as the champion most likely AJ Styles, Robert Roode or a face Abyss. On the other hand, they can use it to push a newer talent to the top such as the Pope, Crimson, or Gunner to the top. A champion Bully Ray would be great; he deserves it, but too much of him as champion would be a bad thing.

I think it would be a horrible idea, but probably will happen seeing that TNA is almost unwatchable. Neither of the Dudley Boyz got over 10 years ago when the WWE attempted to send them down the singles path. Ray has ability on the mic but at this point in his career who cares. I still don't see this guy as a legitimate title condender because I just don't care about him. Don't hate the guy, like I said hes good on the mic & has talent in the ring, but he just not a draw.

I think he would make a damn good champion at this moment, he has a good mixture of his bully character plus cowardly heel, the way he volunteers other to do the asskicking when it seems like he is gonna be the one to step up. He is great on the mic and has proved he can go in the ring. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a title run, I think it could be entertaining.

If this guy doesn't win PWI's most improved wrestler this year, I have no idea what they even give the award out for, because there isn't a wrestler on the planet who deserves it more that hasn't returned from a career-ending injury or some kind of major injury comeback.

Champion? Abso-fuckin-lutly. As much as I like Anderson, Bully Ray has officially become Immortal's go-to-guy and his muscle is more believable than any other in the group, Steiner and Abyss included.

I'm not sure he'd be a long-term solution, but as a part of this whole power struggle, I'm all for it.

I think it would be a horrible idea, but probably will happen seeing that TNA is almost unwatchable. Neither of the Dudley Boyz got over 10 years ago when the WWE attempted to send them down the singles path. Ray has ability on the mic but at this point in his career who cares. I still don't see this guy as a legitimate title condender because I just don't care about him. Don't hate the guy, like I said hes good on the mic & has talent in the ring, but he just not a draw.

I just watched Smackdown and feel the same way about the WWE. It's damn near unwatchable.

Why do you comment if you are just going to bash the product? Immediately that makes what you have to say not matter. Ray is in the best shape of his career, he's dropped a ton of weight, is more mobile, and it is easy to tell as he moves around in the ring.

Yea WWE did fail with making Bubba a singles guy, they also failed with Matt Morgan, Kaz, and others while currently failing with Bryan Danielson, Ted Jr., and anything that once resembled a Tag Team.

Dont start your reasons by bashing a product because that kills credibility.

What happens to his BFG Series matches if he wins? Does he get kicked out of the series?

I like what he has done lately but you are going to have to create a fantastic mature bloody feud or make the his championship feuds secondary to keep up viewership.

Ray has proven me wrong. I thought he would be a career mid-card heel. But his feud with AJ, the match at Slammiversary and him taking the front in Immortal has seemingly given this guy a second chance at life through his wrestling career. In my eyes, he is the second biggest heel in TV right now with only CM Punk standing in his way. To me he has been far better than Alberto Del Rio, Mr. Anderson, Christian, Wade Barrett or any other wrestler portraying a heel not named CM Punk. It would be a mistake not to give him the TNA World title after Anderson expires in use. TNA has had issues getting a good heel since 2009. Well here's their best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back