• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bring Back WCW it could Work!!

This idea would crash n burn horribly. I think every possible reason was stated before me, so Ill leave it at that. The WWE is like Saturday Night Live; they had a great cast in the 80's, followed by a terrible early to mid 90's that did allow a few top name talents to become legends. They had a late 90's revolution followed by a topsy turvey decade in the 2000's. Now here we are in the 2010's and like SNL there's a lot of young people who the potential to be very good, but with the exception of a few, just haven't done it. So to all the WWE (and for that matter SNL)fans, be patient, another era will show its face soon enough.

Also all of the people that come on here complaining that WCW deserves its own brand and would be so much better than having Smackdown! around would be on here after the first or second week of new WCW programming b'ing and moaning about it because it's "Just another WWE product."

There would be no satisfying them because what they are wanting will not, cannot, and won't happen, and they would turn on the WCW Brand the minute it debuted.

Ok WCW will work?

RAW = WWE
Smackdown = WCW

They're pretty much viewed as seperate rosters/brands kind of like WWE & WCW just under the Titan Sports/WWE umbrella

You can't bring back WCW, just like you can't bring back ECW, the Hogan era, the golden era, or the attitude era.

Those programs only existed because of their times, and today is different, fan base wise, talent wise, and network wise. The things that nostalgia people up about WCW are nearly done with, there's only a couple of WCW competitors left, Big show, Rey mysterio, chavo, and probably a few more that are nearing the retirement house.

Making a new program named WCW Nitro will not recapture the genius that was the late 90's WCW.
TNA is the closest you can get to WCW, just add 10 years to the competitors. Hey, they even have the same bookers.

I know Bring Back WCW would work, if done correctly, not how it was done last time!

First of all, WCW is a great name WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

Building a WCW with Friday Nite Nitro on Fri would be awesome!

I think there is enough Talent to make it work! Bring back the style of wrestling we havent seen in a few years, Managers, Great Rivalries, Tony Shivonne, Booker T as Color commentator, Dusty Rhodes, Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, I think there is still enough WCW talent to mix with the new talent to make it work

I disagree with it competing against RAW, but Make it a NEW HIP type of Show with Stephanie Mcmahon, HHH, Marrisa Mazzola, DDP, and other great Talent. Maybe even Jessie the Body Ventura, Roddy Piper.

I think Making WCW the New Hip thing with A different style of Competition, with Halloween Havoc, Starcade, Great American Bash, Super Brawl, Clash of The Champions would be awesome!

I never Understood, why Halloween Havoc name was never used, such a great name for a Pay Per View, up there with Mania, Summerslam, Royal Rumble and such!

A relaunch of the WCW brand just would not work. There is no point to it now. The WWE version of a WCW relaunch might have worked when the brand was still fresh in peoples' minds, and the wrestlers and workers from WCW were younger. This would've made transition from contemporary WCW stars to newer ones easier.

On top of that, both WCW and ECW felt different from WWE simply because they weren't a part of WWE. They were built up specifically as alternatives to WWE. The respective heads of their companies viewed wrestling from three unique directions. Different people were in charge and they had different people to answer to, which meant different rules and tricks for producing the product.
Just as WWECW didn't work, WCWWE wouldn't work either.

Besides, if I really wanted to watch WCW, I could just find stuff on Youtube. Or I could tune in to TNA and see why I originally stopped watching WCW in the first place.

Vince tried to relaunch WCW in 2001 - and it BOMBED big time! Booker T and Boff Bagwell putting on a stinker of a match combined with Vince's inability to get the top guys from WCW (Hogan, Nash, Goldberg, ...) made it impossible to relaunch WCW as a separate brand. In fact, they had to bring ECW in to get people to care about the Invasion.

There are also those who believe Vince intentionally set up WCW to fail just so he could kill it. WrestleCrap pointed out that if they had waited just ONE WEEK to do the WCW relaunch, the match would have taken place in Atlanta - WCW's home base! Instead, they tried to relaunch it in Tacoma, Washington.

It could work if they don't have the stars show up on both shows and do PPV away from WWE it could also be a good way for them to see who is marketable as a world champion for guys they are not sure about. As far as the fail of ECW that was becasue they never did the hardcore that was in it also they had low stars that people never cared about or knew until Angle and Benoit was on ECW also 1hr show a week really didn't have alot of tv time to build up PPV matches. If they made it seperate with no mention of Raw and Smackdown it could work but would have to bring in Tony Schiavone for play by play to give it a WCW feel. It would also give some guys a chance to shine being away from Cena and Orton.

Vince tried to relaunch WCW in 2001 - and it BOMBED big time!

That attempt was a weak one. putting matches on Raw didn't really give it a good chance for success.

This is where i stand on the whole issue of WCW

WCW In my opinion was great when i was growing up, until it failed. I could see The Big Show and chris Jericho being top of the new WCW if it were to become the new brand. It can also introduce some old titles back into the WWE such as the cruiserweight championship or the Hardcore Championship. They could bring in alot of young talent by them saying they watched WCW growing up and etc. They Dont need the very Top WCW guys such as Hogan, Goldberg, Nash, or Sting. But think about bringing back a few appearences from old WCW superstars such as La Parka, Disco inferno, and few more. But have it like a veterens vs the new generation of superstars.

Another way they could possibly doing it to start is by having HHH knowing he married vince's daughter, build his own company (WCW) so he could have control of WWE in a Vince retirement storyline. recreate the Survivor Series match but WCW win. Just so it can become the new brand and run it how i said before.

I believe it can be done. but it would have to be done carefully. It might not be a set brand but keep it around to see what happens. They put the WCW arena in the smackdown vs Raw 2011 so i dont believe they would totally killing it.

Thats just my opinion

This is where i stand on the whole issue of WCW

WCW In my opinion was great when i was growing up, until it failed. I could see The Big Show and chris Jericho being top of the new WCW if it were to become the new brand. It can also introduce some old titles back into the WWE such as the cruiserweight championship or the Hardcore Championship. They could bring in alot of young talent by them saying they watched WCW growing up and etc. They Dont need the very Top WCW guys such as Hogan, Goldberg, Nash, or Sting. But think about bringing back a few appearences from old WCW superstars such as La Parka, Disco inferno, and few more. But have it like a veterens vs the new generation of superstars.

Another way they could possibly doing it to start is by having HHH knowing he married vince's daughter, build his own company (WCW) so he could have control of WWE in a Vince retirement storyline. recreate the Survivor Series match but WCW win. Just so it can become the new brand and run it how i said before.

I believe it can be done. but it would have to be done carefully. It might not be a set brand but keep it around to see what happens. They put the WCW arena in the smackdown vs Raw 2011 so i dont believe they would totally killing it.

Thats just my opinion

the idea COULD have worked if they did this years ago, but now i think it's not going to work. instead of doing this invasion deal, WWE should've had the two shows being WWE and WCW with Raw being WWE and WCW basically being Smackdown then it would look like two companys going head to head, now it wont work. WCW is the past now and is just being remembered.

I dont think bringing back WCW is what needs to happen but you could definitely use some aspects of what they did. Like replace NXT with Nitro and give it that same look that it had in the 90's same entrance and everything but project new stars give them that platform this way you will satisfy old and new fans. WCW is over as much as it saddens me to say it but you cant deny their contributions to the business so maybe they could use WCW to give the superstars on the roster who arent doing anything to show off. Bringing back Nitro could give guys like Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingstion, Alex Riley, with a ton of other younger guys to get a chance to wrestle. Package it better than WWECW!

Re-creating WCW under the WWE banner is a recipe for failure. If you look back at the time when the 2 big wrestling organizations were WWF/E and Jim Crockett Promotions (JCP)/NWA. WWF/E was very cartoonish and JCP was more "realistic". Both had their audience and both were very successful.

TNA is a little more like the JCP of the mid to late 80's. Not afraid to show some blood and better in-ring action. I agree that having Flair get in the ring and wrestling is a stretch, and should not happen. Hogan should not wrestle either. But TNA needs funding...major funding. TNA can actually give WWE a run for the money.

WWE is stale because Vince does not see TNA as a threat. Just like with the original ECW, no threat. But Vince stole half of the "Attitude Era" from ECW. TNA just needs direction and money. Bischoff is not the answer, neither is Russo or Hogan.

There is no need for a new WCW. There is a need to bring TNA up to the WWE's level. I think they may have taken a step in the right direction, but not there yet. A WCW rebirth would be a very bad idea.

How about a TNA/ROH merger?

I think most of you guys are WRONG!

First of all, the MAIN REASON WCW failed when bought by WWE, was they DID NOT BRING OVER THE MAIN WCW STARS! There was no STING, Lex Lugar, Goldberg, ETC...

If the Main WCW Rosters would have come over at the beginning, WCW would have survived with WWE being A Media Conglomerant! (sorry for spelling)

You cannot compare the ECW WWE brand! 1st of all ECW was not near the size of company WCW was! I am not a fan of ECW, I knew it was not gonna last! Had some good ideas, and decent talent, but still they were not the 3rd Brand, there was a big difference between wwf, wcw, and little Ecw! Hope you guys understand that!

Next, you guys keep saying that there are not any more WCW guys left! You dont need ex WCW guys to start a NEW WCW! You need to build a new WCW with no connection to the old WCW at all! Start the company the Sin Cara, Daniel Bryan, Jack Swagger, Daniel Bryan, Cm Punk, and many other guys that can actually wrestle! Bring back the Great Tag Team Competition, the traditional wrestling, Make U.S Title a Major title again!

Again WCW would work, if done correctly, which the way WWE product is done now, WWE product itself is not done correctly now, so I would not be sure if VInce and his help can pull it off! WWE programming/talent need to step it up! This crap sux now!

someone said that wwe would ruin wcw's legacy???? hellooooo, wcw did a pretty good job of that on their own. vkm put them out of their misery b/c it was so horrible. which at one point would have been crazy b/c wcw had a much better roster from top to bottom and produced such a better show vs wwe and hulk-a-bullshit in the late 80s early 90s.

they will never do this b/c they have to deal with enough trying to get their own shows on a network (wwe smackdown is on sci fy) and i suggest they just try to make their own product better. maybe when ROH grows more, wwe will try to buy it buuut keep it going like op suggested. it is a good idea but that is a dreamers dream in a vince mcmahon world.

WCW had a large following of loyal fans and probably would have been the highest rated show on alot of other networks. I'm sure WCW fans and WWE fans would have tuned in to see how Vince would have run the show & what changes he would have made.

In my opinion I just don't see it working, nobody else is gonna run the show it's Vinces property. It would be ran like Raw or Smackdown, maybe not exactly, but along the same lines. No matter what name you attach to it, it would fail just like WWECW.

I agree on both. At that time Vince was shopping WCW around like crazy but all anyone ever wanted was a WWE show. Now it would be damn near impossible to get a WCW show on any network.

Vince will have his hands all over anything WWE until he retires.

i am sure it has been said before - vince won't let it work. vince would never put the push behind it to make it more successful than raw and if by some fluke it did, vince would screw it over. just look at what he did with ecw and that explains it all, and things were a lot simpler with ewc.

Bring back WCW?!!? No. No no no no no no no no no! What's next, a revival of the AWA or WCCW? Those two could be sponsored by the AARP. Or how about Vince McMahon buyout Big Vision Entertainment so he can have the video library of XPW as well?

Sorry, but as a fan of Jim Crockett Promotions/NWA/WCW, I want the memories I do have to be exactly that...no matter how good or bad they were (and let's not go there with the horrible InVasion angle/storyline).

Alot of you guys are overthinking it, and still MISSING THE POINT! Nobody ever says, bring back the old WCW Talent!

WCW (World Championship Wrestling) is a great name! AWA< NWA, WCCW ECW, would not work. DONT OVER THINK IT GUYS! Their will be no INVASION ANGLE< NO Recreation of Anything WCW, only the GREAT Name would be used!

I just dont think Vince would do it, ONLY because he doesnt want to Associate WWE with Wrestling! WCW to me is a better name for Wrestling, than WWE, WWE is more for Pomp and Circumstance, Entertainment!. WWF 80s and 90s was known for its big colorful Superstars, WCW was known for its great Wrestling Matches, Traditional Wrestling, great Talent, and overall was the Best at One Point! For much of the 90s, WCW was a better Product than WWF. Vince himself, killed his own Creation, by absorbing all wrestling territories, he has no Competition! You need competition, and TNA is just plain CRAP! Low Class Performers and Talent! That Video Library is just Trash, nobody cares if TNA ever existed! Bring back WCW the right way would work!

It wont work because no matter how you package it and no matter what name you put on it, it's still the WWE, with the same WWE talent. Now if when they had bought WCW and kept it on tv, and ran it as a seperate company, and done the whole invasion angle they would have struck gold, but they didn't.

they were trying to go that route but no tv outlets wanted anything to do with the severely damaged brand called "WCW". Under the corporate umbrella of AOL/Time Warner, and the leaderships of Eric Bischoff & Vince Russo the market value of WCW was so greatly devalued

Plus with not having access to alot of the main event WCW talent seeing as they'd have to buy out the pre-existing AOL/Time Warner contracts that were worth 3x the worth of the talent

In my opinion there is no point of having a WCW if it doesn't even feel like WCW anymore. WCW WAS guys like Sting,Luger,DDP,Booker,the NWO, Page,The Great Cruiserweights,Goldberg,and so many others. You could put guys like Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder and whoever else you wanted together and form a new "company" called WCW, but you might as well call it Charmin Toilet Paper Wrestling federation or Vince's Playhouse 'cause brother that aint WCW. The only way to really have a genuine WCW that doesnt leave a bad taste in the mouth of countless fans is to get in a time machine and go back 10-15 years and enjoy.I was 100% pro-wcw in the 90's, and I would love to see it again..at least once, but In my opinion handing a guy like Ryder or some other Young Guy the WCW title and calling it legit is almost as bad as David Arquette winning the it. Vince may as well take an individual shit on each and every fan of WCW's childhood and or/ memories.

It's just far too late to do anything with it.

They should have run WWE as two seperate entities (WWE and WCW) in 2001. They could have had a fake monopoly, and it would have work tremendously.

They should have bought out Sting, Nash, Goldberg etc from their Time Warner contracts. I did have some figures somewhere about how much it would have cost WWE, and it would have been a fair amount. But think about how much they could have made by using Goldberg/Flair/Sting/Nash/Hogan?

Could have had a few cross promotional PPV's, and had a WWE/WCW PPV every two months, alternating, so you'd have a PPV every month but it wouldn't feel like overkill.

It's just far too late for that i'm afraid. Just look at TNA's attempt to bring back ECW. It really fell flat, and this is coming from a die hard ECW fan.

Selby

The only way WcW could come back is if Vince sold it and allowed someone to start it back up as general competition. No way it could work being run by the same lunatics currently running the WWE asylum.

I really miss WCW. I enjoyed their shows when most of my friends hated it. I was the outsider at my school for watching Nitro lol. oh well.

Vince won't bring back WCW because it isn't his idea. He did a quick invasion angle and brought back the NWO to grab as much attention and cash as possible. Since it isn't his creation, he probably wouldn't want to give it the time.

He brought back ECW because he had an attachment to it years ago. I believe he invested money in it to keep it going. On top of that, he brought them to RAW when ECW was its own company. It wasn't his creation, but he had a strong attachment too it.

WCW was his mortal enemy. He bet it to the ground, stole it (well bought it for dirt cheap), exploited it and finally buried it. Sadly, we'll never see WCW again.

There's a possibility of bringing back some of the WCW traits on either RAW or Smackdown. That would be cool.

This is 2011 mate, Nash is in WWE..

Otherwise decent post with fair point.. They wont have the fucking roster to pull it off..

I think this is the best idea of have heard in years !!!!

Monday Night RAW
Friday Night NITRO

p.s rosters?? to much talent being wasted at present in wwe as well as ovw and other development areas.. plus a wealth of talent on the indy scene

awesome.... I love everything about WCW and the idea behind this... plus if WWE want to stay PG 12 (or kids show imo) then maybe the stiff wreslters who dont want to work the mic or cant work the mc can go to WCW as wrestlers in a rated R show

This is WCW ... and this is AWwwwwwweeeeeeesome

( i hate the mizz by the way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back