• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bret Hart's match at Wrestlemania (Spoiler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason305

Dark Match Winner
Ok so I read this article today:
""Source: Dave Meltzer/The Wrestling Observer

Bret Hart first contacted WWE in February of 2009 to let them know that he was open to returning for a storyline. Hart's girlfriend was going to school in Calgary and he would be based out of Calgary for a few years instead of Hawaii, where he had been. Bret was getting bored with retirement and thought of getting back into wrestling. I've also heard that money issues had something to do with his return but Bret likely wouldn't admit that for obvious reasons.

Bret notes that there were times when WWE seemed interested and other times when they really didn't seem interested in his return at all. He told them a few times that if they weren't that interested, he was fine with that and then he would always hear immediately back from them with interest. Talks for this year's WrestleMania angle got serious last September.

There is a storyline in place through WrestleMania between Hart and Vince McMahon with hope for some sort of street fight or at least a showdown between the two at WrestleMania. Due to concussions from the past and his stroke in 2002, Hart is very limited to what he can do in the ring. He can't take a traditional flat back bump. Obviously challenges like these could affect what happens between Bret and Vince. The original script for the RAW angle a few weeks back was for Vince to slap Bret in the face. Because of the concussion issue, they changed it to a kick in the stomach. It actually ended up being a kick to the groin from Vince, a miscue that Bret felt made the segment better.

Both Bret and WWE have laid out the basic details of the storyline and agreed on them. Each side has veto power regarding minor details. Hart will return to RAW next week. Bret's contract with WWE is for through April and is only for this storyline. Bret is said to be open to ideas if WWE is interested in using him past that point and is open to signing a longer contract. If no contract would be offered, he is still open to appearing on the occasional show for the next few years while he's mostly based out of Calgary.

Other sources report that revealing Bret's stroke from 2002 in the storyline has been talked about. Apparently it will be a significant part of the angle at some point. Bret's concussion issue is less likely to be brought up because it's such a sensitive issue right now.

On the plane trip from Hawaii to RAW, Bret's sciatic nerve in his lower back was acting up badly, causing concern that he would be limping to the ring. Bret rested after the trip and was pain free by the time RAW came on Monday night.""

What I want to ask of you is regarding Bret Hart's match with Vince at Wrestlemania, would like too see this match knowing how limited Hart is going to be? Do you still think it's going to be a decent match or will it hurt Hart more? Or would you rather see Hart come out next week and just be honest about his condition and say that he cant compete but he has someone who will compete on his behalf? He could still be involved in that match and still get some spots in it?

So how do you feel about? And if you'd prefer a replacement who would you get? How would you like to see this play out?

Personally I'm a bit sceptic about this match, knowing what the Hitman used to do and how good he was, to just see'ing a shell of his former self trying "fight" a 60 year old man? I hope they prove me wrong but right now I have my doubts.
It's not that I don't want to see this fued, it's just that I am sceptic at what they are going to be able to do.

I would love to see Hart bring in a youngster to represent him and in the process build a credible new young star, maybe DH Smith or Tyson Kidd, someone who has ties with him and the Hart family. But at the same time I wouldn't want to see Dh Smith vs Mcmahon. McMahon is also supposed to be retired so why don't they do something similar to what the did with Vince and Trump.?

Both men get someone young to represent them. Lets for arguments sake say Dh Smith vs Miz? Just think how both of them can benefit with this exposure and it would be a somewhat high profile match at Mania?

So what are your thoughts?

Hey first-time poster, long time reader here!

I too am skeptical about an actual match between the two at WM. With both of their physical limitations, they would be hard-pressed to come up a match between themselves that would entertain the fans. With that said, I believe they will indeed have representatives facce each other at WM, and I think those representatives will be HHH for McMahon and HBK for Bret. I just cant see these guys staying away from this stroyline. I know Shawn wants a rematch with Taker and HHH is "supposedly" gonna face Sheamus or something like that. However I think everyone has already pointed out the flaws inherent in a HBK vs UT rematch, and i do not see Sheamus as being ready for a WM main-event just yet. So technically that leaves both men free, and we are already starting to see tension between them thanks to the RR match coming up. So to wrap up, I think HBK and HHH will be wrestling each other as part of the Bret-McMahon storyline.

I'm going to have to differ to Bret's judgment in this situation, and say that whatever he thinks he can do, is best. Medical conditions like Bret's are very difficult for us to get our heads around and understand if we aren't in the same situation. Bret hopefully knows what he can and cannot do, and won't do anything that will jeopardize his health long-term. Personally speaking, if Bret can still manage to wrestle a match, I would rather see him go one on one with Vince than to do it by proxy. But if that's not possible, than I still believe that Bret is a strong enough performer and personality to make a proxy match interesting. I'm just not sure who would represent him. I doubt DH Smith or Tyson Kidd alone could be built up quickly enough to be ready for Wrestlemania. A tag match might work though, with Bret managing the Hart Dynasty against a monster (heel) team assembled by Vince.

I'm personally hoping that they go with a 6 man tag.

If at some point around No Way Out Vince gets a pair of guys to jump Bret, those two guys would become instant mega-heels. My personal votes would be Drew McIntyre and Sheamus, because Vince obviously wants them to be getting much more heat than they are, AND there is already that history where Drew was personally hired by Vince blah, blah, blah. During the attack The Hart Dynasty come down and make the save and instantly become big name faces.

Then for wrestlemania its Bret and the Hart Dynasty vs Vince, Sheamus, and Drew. I don't care what heppens from there as long as the match ends with a sharpshooter on Vince.

I can't see a better way to use Bret. Four young guys with a bunch of potential get the rub here, whereas if it's just Bret/Vince, nobody gets anything out of it.

I personally hope the match does not go through. Bret Hart's wrestling career is over. First of all, other than money issues, there should be no reason for Bret Hart to go through with this match. Second of all, the idea of a two old men, one a stroke victim, battling it out on whats meant to be the grandest stage of them all, just doesn't tickle my fancy. Plus it's gonna be so predictible, I can just see Bret Hart making McMahon tap out the Sharpshooter and there you have it.
The only thing that could make it worth it, is if Bret Hart full on busts McMahon open. That I'll watch.

I can tell you one thing, I would rather watch Bret Hart and Vince duke it out as opposed to seeing Sheamus in the main event. Anyway, yeah I would like to see this. I think no matter how bad the quality of the actual match it, this is something fans like myself have been wanting to see for over 12 years now. I hope Bret throws a few stiff ones, just to get in the final word. To watch these two guys fight it out cannot be any worse than watching Hogan and Vince, so I don't see why not. Bret will most likely dominate most of the action, and won't have to take many bumps at all. I really think we are going to see Bret Hart kick the crap out of Vince for about 15 minutes or so.

As for these two getting other people to fight their battle, it sounds stupid and anti climactic. Why would i ever want to see Shawn Michaels take up for Bret, knowing he still doesn't believe what he was a part of at survivor series was wrong? Also, I am not sure we are going to see a big HHH/HBK feud until HBK is ready to retire, but I could be wrong. And furthermore, didn't Shawn basically take himself out of the equation on January 4th by coming out and settling things with Bret? I thought that was there final moment together, but again, I could be wrong.

Using one of the Hart Dynasty kids for Bret is a TERRIBLE idea. Neither of them are big enough superstars to be involved in this at all. This huge angle between Bret and Vince should not be watered down using kids who belong in the tag team division (nothing wrong with being in the tag division). I think this angle would suffer from having anyone else involved (match wise). Sure, it might give the Hart kids some credibility, with younger fans, but this angle should not be used to put over a couple of guys, it is much bigger than that. I would be disappointed if Bret and Vince got two other guys to fight their battle, and even more so if it were a couple of relative nobodies (both kids are talented, don't get me wrong).

I'm sure they'll find a creative way to have a Bret vs. McMahon showdown at WM. If Bret is as incpabale to wrestle/take bumps as it seems, they wouldn't put him in a physical match, but find something else. Maybe a representative to wrestle on each of their behalfs.

Either way, i'm sure it'll be good. give it time to and see

Bret doesnt need to have a match for obvious reasons so i hope they dont book a McMahon Hart match as much as i would like to see one. Bret hasnt had a match since 1999 when he was kicked by Goldberg and since his stroke in 2002 which gives you more than enough reason not to go back into the ring and knowing matches that McMahon has its gonna be a extreme rules weapons and all like Hogan at Wrestlemania XIX so Bret shouldnt have to wrestle unless WWE can find another way to use Brets time with the company

If WWE go with representatives like at WM23, I could see Vince picking Batista and Bret picking Cena, combining two feuds together. Cena was the one who was telling Vince to bring Bret to Raw last week so he could confront Vince.
Cena/Batista was rumoured last year before Batista got hurt so it could happen this year and after the two seemed to be staring at eachother after Batista was eliminated from the Rumble might be how WWE get the two together.

I honestly do not want to see this match and if it happens I'll be watching it through the gaps in my fingers. If Bret can't even take a slap to the face without the WWE worrying about him, what can he really do? Isn't there also an issue about an insurance payout for retiring?

i know all of you keep saying that hart can not take bumbs and all this because of the concussions and stroke .. well in my family my father and grandfather have had stroke and yes they were limited for a long time but aslong as hart keeps doing what the doctors say and work out i think that they can have a match similiar to hogan and vince. I know that bret wont be taking any falls thre tables or slamms form the tob ropes but i bielieve they find a way t have this match. Hart looked way better last night then the first night he came back .. I have a feeling that hart is going to surprise y everyone and have a decent match when it comes down to it

I totally believe that Bret has been training this past month, we saw last night that he sure has tanned again. He doesn't look as bad as he did Jan 4th. My thoughts are I think that Bret and Vince are going to do that sttreet fight and in the end it will come off as someting that the fans were not expecting and I thinkthat is what will make the WWE continue to bring Bret back at least for the remainder of the year.

Almost everyone had a very decent post/argument here. Bottom Line, it depends on Bret Hart and what he can do or what he feels he can do. If he can bump or at least beat the shit outta Vince for 10 minutes - then we will get one on one. But based on last weeks raw (the horrible "Punches" to Hart's head) It is obvious we are headed for Cena vs. Batista as representatives. Bret will still beat the hell outta Vince at one point. But it won't be the same as a One on One match. Can't get everything I guess.

I would rather see Cena vs. Batista and Bret vs. Vince as separate matches but it is of course all up to Bret. He doesn't owe anyone another match when you consider what he has accomplished and the state of his health so it is all down to his decision.

I for one do not feel that Bret is as fragile as everyone is making him out to be. Come on people...Bret wouldnt come back to the WWE and be obviously training just so he can be in somebody's corner.

The man is getting in wrestling shape again..just look at him from last week and his initial appearance on Jan 4th. Bret is tan, and starting to get in shape again...his gut is way smaller and his arms are looking better. Bret's recent blogs on his official website says that he is in the gym training again...so take that for what its worth..

I'm personally hoping that they go with a 6 man tag.

If at some point around No Way Out Vince gets a pair of guys to jump Bret, those two guys would become instant mega-heels. My personal votes would be Drew McIntyre and Sheamus, because Vince obviously wants them to be getting much more heat than they are, AND there is already that history where Drew was personally hired by Vince blah, blah, blah. During the attack The Hart Dynasty come down and make the save and instantly become big name faces.

Then for wrestlemania its Bret and the Hart Dynasty vs Vince, Sheamus, and Drew. I don't care what heppens from there as long as the match ends with a sharpshooter on Vince.

I can't see a better way to use Bret. Four young guys with a bunch of potential get the rub here, whereas if it's just Bret/Vince, nobody gets anything out of it.

Sheamus and Drew? What logic would they have to side with McMahon? Why wouldn't Sheamus want a title rematch at Mania? I think the idea would work if the Hart's were face at the minute, but people don't care about them enough. It COULD work, but it would have to be against people who would actually work for McMahon. Drew yes, Sheamus though? Hmmm. I think we are getting Bret/Cena v. Vince/Batista, and I have no problem with that. The match itself will be decent, and Hart can win it with the sharpshooter. McMahon would take a bump or two then, but with Hart I doubt Hart is mobile enough to bump vince.

I would rather see Cena vs. Batista and Bret vs. Vince as separate matches but it is of course all up to Bret. He doesn't owe anyone another match when you consider what he has accomplished and the state of his health so it is all down to his decision.

I think combing the two will give more time for either another match, or longer matches in general. I was thinking about it and I cannot see where the time will come from for two main title matches, taker/michaels, orton/legacy(whatever happens with them), MITB, Batista/Cena, Hart/McMahon... that's already stacked and we have no US title match, IC title match, Tag title match or Diva match.

So no real preference for me, I just worry that Bret/McMahon on their own will be a slow match, and add Cena/Batista and it will add some real energy to it, aslong as Hart gets the win with a Sharpshooter on Vince.

Tedy Bruschi, the former pro football player/linebacker who played for the Patriots suffered a stroke after the 2004 season. He sat out the 2005 season and rehabilitated, and returned in 2006. Football is just as violent if not more violent than pro wrestling and he returned after 1.5 years. I think the issue is more with concussions, but also pro football players get concussions, sit out while it heals and then return. I think if Bret wanted to he could work a match, but there are a lot of litigating factors and concerns that he would take into consideration. If he couldn't work the rate as he did when he was the Hitman, which he most likely can't, then I don't see him working a match in a serious capacity.

I think the ideal situation is that the two matches are seperate, because that is a much more interesting prospect, and it is what people want to see. If Hart can cope on his own, then he will go into a street fight. It won't be pretty, but it really doesn't matter. People will be tuning in and paying up to watch Hart finally get one over on Vince and not to watch a wrestling classic. If he can't do it, and I'm believing to think he can't, I think it'll be a men in the corner type thing rather than a tag match. While Cena vs Batista is a big match, that would be a huge let down.

Both men get someone young to represent them. Lets for arguments sake say Dh Smith vs Miz? Just think how both of them can benefit with this exposure and it would be a somewhat high profile match at Mania?

I think this is a great idea. Not specifically DH Smith and the Miz but the basic idea. They did this is 2007 i think it was with Umaga vs Lashley. Because, lets face it, vince vs trump would have been pretty boring. so they could put something at stake as well. i dont know what. but thats just my thoughts...

Why doesnt anybody else think that having Bret be "represented" by somebody makes him look pathetic, especially after the way they opened the storyline strong on Jan 4th, and then last time when Bret "pummeled" Vince.

Guys Bret said that he wanted the fight to look like a "hockey style" fight, which is why he didn't have the regular wrestling punching out. I for one will be disgusted if Bret doesn't wrestle vince...if he is just in somebody's corner this whole angle was for nothing....why sign a talent contract when all you are gonna do is show up in somebody's corner???

I think that Bret needs someone to help carry the match, as I am sure he isn't back to his old self, But I gotta be on your side Bret does look tanner, has lost weight, has toned up, and can still throw a punch an kick..........hell that makes a match in itself right there. But I still think they are gonna go with Cena/Bret vs. Batista/McMahon tag match.......which still would be GREAT as long as I keep getting to see my favorite wrestler or all time in the ring again and again then I for one am all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back