Breaking News: Four Major Stars sign with WWE

As a wrestling fan that watches only WWE, I'm very happy upon learning that I'll be able to watch AJ Styles in action again. I was a huge fan of his in the pre-Hogan era of TNA, and always wished he would sign with the WWE. I have read good things about Nakamura and Karl Anderson as well, and it will be awesome to see them perform with my own eyes. An improved Gallows will also be interesting to watch. The WWE signing all four of them together makes me wonder if they will be kept together as a WWE version of the Bullet Club... The WWE usually likes to develop each wrestler their way, because they think their way is the best way, but with NXT, you never know...

On the other hand, I cannot help but feel bad for companies like ROH and NJPW though... they turn the talents into big stars with great stories and investments, and the WWE just plucks them off from the top, forcing the said companies to reinvest in another wrestler with time, money, effort, everything... It's really cool for us (the viewers) right now, but with time, a monopolist makes the consumer suffer the negative effects of its practices.

Big names, but the one that has me the most excited is AJ Styles.

I'm sure someone else on here has said it, but it would be blasphemy against the gods of pro-wrestling if the WWE makes AJ Styles change his name. AJ Styles is the biggest acquisition since Sting, fans are going to rip fault lines open with the pops they give up for him. If they introduce him as a bullshit caricature of his image, the marks and smarks alike will boycott like never before.

AJ will hopefully bring some sanity to the WWE locker room. If HHH wants to push him around, this occurrence will backfire worse than the Katie Vick angle.

I stopped watching because the shitheads who put the "moron" in "oxymoron" -- WWE Creative -- decided to use Reid Fliehr's death as a crutch. If the WWE debuts AJ Styles as AJ Styles and lets him perform to the best of his ability, I'll come crawling back.

Maybe these four could make an anti-WWE stable, which would perhaps give them an opportunity to rediscover the magic of when Scott Hall crashed a WCW show. Imagine if AJ Styles wrecked a pointless jobber match and was given a mic with his only instructions being "air your grievances". The WWE needs another pipe bomb, AJ speaking freely on the mic would be the fucking Tsar Bomba.

Several outlets?? UMMM, not exactly. F4W, ok.....has been known to jump the shark. Meltzer, ok, maybe but haven't seen anything confirming from him. 'WZ News' isn't a real thing, is it? The main site typically just takes news from elsewhere.

As for the story, well, the one guy under contract, Anderson, has apparently given notice. Styles and Gallows are not under contract and were working per appearance. That being said, no one in WWE has confirmed that anyone has signed. Nakamura is still holding the NJPW Intercontinental title coming out of Wrestlekingdom, while Gallows and Anderson dropped their straps. This leads me to believe that this unconfirmed story is all rumour. If they all planned and signed, then they all would have dropped titles. Also, Nakamura will have an assload of visas and permits to get approved before anything gets signed. Since the supposed reports lists all four, and there is a doubt about Nakamura, I'd take the story with a grain of salt, fanboys.

I'm not even remotely excited about this.

WWE operates in a very specific way. Even if it's NXT, it's still the WWE. Extremely corporate, extremely over-scripted and bland. The writers of all three shows are terrible and all wrestlers tend to follow the same strategy when it comes to what they do in the ring.

NXT seems different, but really isn't. NXT is not storyline heavy, it's wrestling heavy. The lack of storylines prevent the awful WWE writers from putting these wrestlers in bad situations where their worst drawbacks are at the forefront. The wrestling, while better than on either RAW or SmackDown, is so simply because NXT is basically a cruiserweight show. The matches are bound to be fast paced and flashier than usual, giving the impression that the wrestling is better. It isn't, it still follows suit to the rest of the WWE strategy of what good wrestling is.

With that said, anyone the WWE signs, under any brand, tends to lose their "color" as soon as they step in either of WWE's rings, because they do their thing under WWE's strict rules. It happened to absolutely everyone, regardless of which show they debuted on. Even if they came in with a bang (i.e Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens) eventually they got watered down. Joe came in pretty hot, now there's barely any news or anything peculiar about him.

If Sting can be misued and sucked out of the ginormous personality he has, how can someone like AJ hope to survive.

Yes, it will be cool to see them debut, and the dirt sheets will be salivating at all the clicks and coverage they can do. The issue comes with how they'll be used, whether they'll be taken seriously or not. They will not. WWE really has zero appreciation for people like Styles. Number one - he can't talk. Number two - he's a high flyer. Number three - he's a TNA guy (let's not act like WWE doesn't get a stiffy every time they get to show everyone how crappy the TNA guys are compared to the low level WWE guys. James Storm's already back in TNA).

This will be absolutely terrible and leave a bad taste in the mouth of every fan that supports these guys. Don't think for a second you'll get the AJ vs [blank] match you would get outside of the WWE. You'll get WWE AJ vs [blank].

If anything, WWE loves guys like AJ because they sell like rubber bands and they make others look good. Dolph Ziggler says hi. He's amounted to nothing and he's really a WWE.

Some mark out when they read this, I cringe. Another Sting situation incoming. I think the wrestlers know it too, but it's probably going to be a good pay day.

Boy, I bet you two are a blast at parties. Its been confirmed in literally every way besides a post on WWE.com. People who have personal knowledge of the situation spoke about it. Its all over the internet at this point.

Think there is a reason WWE.com hasn't said anything??

I also don't understand the doom and gloom of some people regarding this....Surely you don't think they went after all four of these particular individuals because they see them as Main Roster mainstays? You guys do know that as of present, NXT is doing monthly road tours right?

Just saw on new japan's official Facebook nakamura lost their version of the intercontinental championship and aj styles was laid out by Kenny omega and was kicked out of bullet club

This is great news, the WWE needs some much needed oomph to pick up a sagging roster. Injury wise they've been creamed this year, and hopefully these new faces will only enhance what they already have.

I like Styles and glad to see him finally in the WWE. Not surprised at Nakamura signing and the wWE going after him. Japan just got the Network so they'll want someone on the roster to bring in those subscribers. Once Itami gets back can see them moving him up as well. Mind you he has almost half a year of ring rust to get over first.

For those of us that bitch and complain about seeing the same faces over and over again, this will shake things up somewhat. Hoping they don't have to spend a lot of time in NXT, and can be on the main roster as soon as possible. But Norcal might be right, they might have been brought in to make NXT more marketable, and to cement it as the third brand.

I'm most interested in AJ Styles; to see what he's got left in his arsenal and whether it can translate to the WWE product......and then, although we surely won't get the information unless it slips out, I'd love to know the amount of money he signed for, given the presumption he finally realized he's not going to command the 'prime' wages he once figured he was worth.

As well, it seems ironic to get this news right after reading that James Storm has apparently decided to return to TNA, after having made a few appearances on NXT. Losing him but gaining Styles is an appealing 'trade,' imo.

Getting these four guys might really boost NXT for a long time to come, presuming some of them are assigned there. That can only be good.

Hoping they don't have to spend a lot of time in NXT, and can be on the main roster as soon as possible. But Norcal might be right, they might have been brought in to make NXT more marketable, and to cement it as the third brand.

I don't know why people who claim to be fans of these guys want this so bad.

The main roster? The home of .500 booking and serving corporate sponsors? That's were you want these talents to go?

Or to a place intended to develop guys for the future and whose goal it is this year to become a money-making wrestling promotion?

I think people who are less plugged in to ongoings don't seem to realize NXT is more than developmental at this point.

Just saw on new japan's official Facebook nakamura lost their version of the intercontinental championship and aj styles was laid out by Kenny omega and was kicked out of bullet club

This has begun making the rounds all over the internet as well.

Suck it, haters.

Joe's been handled well in NXT so far so I'm optimistic so long as these aren't main roster signings. I have no faith when it comes to newer talent up there, as much as there are many matches i'd like to see Styles or Nakamura contest.

NXT seems different, but really isn't. NXT is not storyline heavy, it's wrestling heavy. The lack of storylines prevent the awful WWE writers from putting these wrestlers in bad situations where their worst drawbacks are at the forefront. The wrestling, while better than on either RAW or SmackDown, is so simply because NXT is basically a cruiserweight show. The matches are bound to be fast paced and flashier than usual, giving the impression that the wrestling is better. It isn't, it still follows suit to the rest of the WWE strategy of what good wrestling is.

NXT is modern day rasslin' to me. The format of the show operates like a territory. More emphasis on quality wrestling instead of over the top storylinees, less time spent babbling on the microphone. This was WCWs earlier formula which they abandoned. I enjoy the NXT product because of those reasons. Is it innovative? No it's just that so many of the fans have been watching the WWE product for so long that they've set the standards on what pro wrestling is 'supposed' to be. Plus many are far too young to remember how it all used to be - so to many it's new. This is a modern day Mid-Atlantic Wrestling, with some guys with more aerial moves.

Reports say that Styles and Nakamura are going straight to RAW if not immidiatly then soon enough. Though its Meltzer reporting that so would take that with caution. :icon_mrgreen:

Styles is in for big money, so i feel he will be comfortable with any roster spot given, plus he have supportters in Booker T and Ric Flair there, so he'll do fine for himself, probably being in Ziggler like spot.

Anderson & Gallows will be great in WWE's tag team division

Nakamura is a dark horse here, his style is different from anyone in WWE and what american fans usually see, plus he doesn't talk english, and WWE's creative team is bad, so i really wonder how this deal will turn out for Nakamura in next couple of months...i do hope his first feud will be against Jericho.

Word is coming out that Styles and Nakamura were signed for pretty big money.

Logic would dictate that means they are headed straight to the main roster, but I would caution that you have to spend money to make money, and the WWE's goal for NXT this year is for it to become a money making touring brand.

No to mention this signals to everyone else that being signed with the intent of sending you to NXT isn't going to be a massive sacrifice financially.

Another option here is the rumored wholesale changes occurring to Smackdown, with the hiring of Mauro to do commentary. The WWE is said to be looking for a much more sports based self-contained style for Smackdown, so perhaps this is a big step in that direction.

I could see Styles going straight to the main roster, I hope he doesn't, but I think he's well known enough to make an instant impact. Nakamura isn't really well known enough by most mainstream fans outside of Japan, he almost has to at least have a short stint in NXT.

Serious question here, I am not trying to be a smart ass or any kind like that. But in the opinion of my fellow posters, what percentage of the casual WWE universe really knows who these guys are? I am not talking about the IWC, guys like ourselves who follow professional far more closely than the typical guy who goes to the shows, buys the WWE network, etc., but doesn't really obsess over it like many of the guys online do. The reason why I ask is, I have been following professional wrestling for over twenty years now, predominantly WWE with a brief brain fart of TNA for a couple of years a few years ago. And I only know two of the four guys. Was chatting with a buddy of mine last night, the guy who got me into wrestling in the first place, and I mentioned WWE signing AJ Styles, and he barely even knew who he was. Granted, this guy watches very little wrestling more but even still, he was largely unfamiliar with AJ Styles.

This may determine whether or not he goes directly to the main roster, versus a stay in NXT first. If WWE feels that a significant chunk of their audience is largely unfamiliar with him, they may want to introduce him to the fans in NXT first. The last thing they want is to have a big debut on RAW, SD, or PPV, with crickets chirping upon his debut. I mean this in due respect to Styles, I love the guy and am delighted to see him in the big leagues. But I wonder if I would be as pumped if I hadn't become a wrestlezoner back in 2007. Might I be left wondering, who's this dude?

Serious question here, I am not trying to be a smart ass or any kind like that. But in the opinion of my fellow posters, what percentage of the casual WWE universe really knows who these guys are? I am not talking about the IWC, guys like ourselves who follow professional far more closely than the typical guy who goes to the shows, buys the WWE network, etc., but doesn't really obsess over it like many of the guys online do. The reason why I ask is, I have been following professional wrestling for over twenty years now, predominantly WWE with a brief brain fart of TNA for a couple of years a few years ago. And I only know two of the four guys. Was chatting with a buddy of mine last night, the guy who got me into wrestling in the first place, and I mentioned WWE signing AJ Styles, and he barely even knew who he was. Granted, this guy watches very little wrestling more but even still, he was largely unfamiliar with AJ Styles.

This may determine whether or not he goes directly to the main roster, versus a stay in NXT first. If WWE feels that a significant chunk of their audience is largely unfamiliar with him, they may want to introduce him to the fans in NXT first. The last thing they want is to have a big debut on RAW, SD, or PPV, with crickets chirping upon his debut. I mean this in due respect to Styles, I love the guy and am delighted to see him in the big leagues. But I wonder if I would be as pumped if I hadn't become a wrestlezoner back in 2007. Might I be left wondering, who's this dude?

Not many, and that's why I was so sure they were headed to NXT. Not even AJ Styles I don't think is real known to the majority of the main stream audience. Perhaps were this 2010, 2011, but it isn't.

I feel like the reports of them going to the main roster are assumptions made on what they are reportedly getting paid. NXT makes much more sense if they truly plan to grow the brand.

Boy, I bet you two are a blast at parties. Its been confirmed in literally every way besides a post on WWE.com. People who have personal knowledge of the situation spoke about it. Its all over the internet at this point.

Think there is a reason WWE.com hasn't said anything??

I also don't understand the doom and gloom of some people regarding this....Surely you don't think they went after all four of these particular individuals because they see them as Main Roster mainstays? You guys do know that as of present, NXT is doing monthly road tours right?

At the time of me writing that post, it was still a little iffy. 90% sure, but iffy. Now it seems solid.

What's not to understand? I'm basing my opinion on at least 16 years of popular talent from other companies being driven into the ground by the WWE because of how they do things. It's not bias, it's not fiction - it's a damn proper statistic, so I'd hate that to happen to someone like AJ.

Trust me, I'd be so glad to be absolutely off on this, and to see AJ have amazing matches with everyone and be taken seriously and be exposed to the dwindling WWE audience so they can see what a fucking amazing pro wrestler he is. I'll definitely start watching the parts of WWE that have AJ Styles in them so they won me back, for like 15 minutes. I just don't see it happening, man. Like, at all. Can you really blame me?

There's just something rotten in WWE's strategy with some incoming talent, it's out there, everyone knows it's real, and I have a feeling AJ's going to get a good load of it.

And in regards to people thinking they'll change his name - they won't. Number one - they didn't change Joe's name and AJ's bigger than Joe (sorry not sorry). Two - let's not forget he has his own initials carved into the side of his body. Kinda hard to ignore that.

I love how the people who pretend to follow Styles and Nakamura in NJPW and/or ROH are so "worried" about how WWE will treat him when both NJPW and ROH have become stagnant and there's nothing new for those guys to do in either company.

Even if this turns out to be a big bust (and I don't think it will), this is exciting. To see AJ Styles in an NXT/WWE ring, fucking Nakmura.... there are endless possibilities, and Heaven forbid if fans would rather be optimistic than expect the worst.

I'm stoked for this. I'm stoked at the possibility of seeing Cena, Ambrose, Hideo, Balor, Cesaro, etc. step in the ring with these guys. I'm stoked to see these guys receive big money. I'm stoked to see these guys wrestle in front of a sold out 20k plus hyped up American audience. This is fucking exciting, and those who aren't excited about it, well, that's your loss.

This has been my thing. I was just discussing this in another topic with a guy who wanted Finn Balor to win the Intercontinental title at this year's WM. A lot of people don't follow the Indy scene, I will be the first to admit outside of WWE I only watch Lucha Underground. Not everyone has WWE Network, or follow the Indies.

Which is why nobody apart from Sting has came straight to the main roster upon signing. His legacy dates back 30 years and was the face of a former competitor. Samoa Joe could've easily came in on the main roster but to many they only watch WWE and nothing more. Even down to Joe, there's a lot of people that have strictly watched WWE and never paid attention to TNA.

If AJ Styles comes to main roster immediately, it'll surprise me - I just DON'T see it. I still stand by that he is brought in to give more name recognition on the NXT brand. I don't care how good these guys like Owens, Ambrose, Balor or Rollins were on the Indy scene - they've all been re-branded in WWEs developmental system because not everybody is familar with their background before WWE - nor do commentators go through great length to acknowledge it on the TV.

I swear that people just don't take time to think about people other than themselves. If you seriously think that AJ Styles isn't known, then you're sadly mistaken. Don't let WWE fool you, TNA is known. They wouldn't be able to have such a successful international series of tours if they weren't. They wouldn't be able to pull in sales for Jeff hardy if they weren't. They wouldn't have been able to get Hogan. TNA is known to people, even the casual fans. 1 million US fans is still 1 million US fans.

AJ Styles being signed to WWE and not NXT makes perfect sense. They now have a few months to get his theme song composed, compile some vignettes, get some hype built for his arrival, and then they can debut him on a Smackdown to bring in ratings.

I don't see him being an instant main eventer, nobody should... but I do see him being used very properly in WWE. Also, the possible matches are sounding awesome.

AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose
AJ Styles vs. Neville
AJ Styles vs. Stardust
AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler
AJ Styles vs. Chris Jericho
AJ Styles vs. Seth Rollins
AJ Styles vs. John Cena
AJ Styles vs. Cesaro
AJ Styles vs. Tyson Kidd
AJ Styles vs. Kofi Kingston
AJ Styles vs. Kalisto

I swear that people just don't take time to think about people other than themselves. If you seriously think that AJ Styles isn't known, then you're sadly mistaken. Don't let WWE fool you, TNA is known. They wouldn't be able to have such a successful international series of tours if they weren't. They wouldn't be able to pull in sales for Jeff hardy if they weren't. They wouldn't have been able to get Hogan. TNA is known to people, even the casual fans. 1 million US fans is still 1 million US fans.

AJ Styles being signed to WWE and not NXT makes perfect sense. They now have a few months to get his theme song composed, compile some vignettes, get some hype built for his arrival, and then they can debut him on a Smackdown to bring in ratings.

I don't see him being an instant main eventer, nobody should... but I do see him being used very properly in WWE. Also, the possible matches are sounding awesome.

AJ Styles vs. Neville
AJ Styles vs. Stardust
AJ Styles vs. John Cena
AJ Styles vs. Cesaro
AJ Styles vs. Tyson Kidd
AJ Styles vs. Kalisto

How known is WWE going to make AJ Styles be known? I know who he is because I followed TNA - but there are a lot of people that don't/didn't watch TNA and just strictly watch WWE.

AJ Styles vs. Neville
AJ Styles vs. Stardust
AJ Styles vs. John Cena
AJ Styles vs. Cesaro
AJ Styles vs. Tyson Kidd
AJ Styles vs. Kalisto

This is the only good thing that I see about this. Jericho wrestles how Jericho wants to wrestle and they won't be disturbed. The match with Cena will just be interesting to see. The rest I don't care about. AJ's faced similar caliber and better in TNA. Nothing new to see there.

Ive only seen a couple of matches on ROH of Nakamura's, but to have a fresh face like his could be a welcome addition to WWE/NXT.

But to have AJ Styles in the Rumble as a surprise entrance will literally blow the roof off the arena the second his music hits.

TBH, id rather have AJ & Nakamura as surprise entrants instead of wasting those spots on Nash, Rhyno, Booker T, Santino. Just to name a Few.

If this is true & a possible partnership with NJPW, exciting times await.

I would have assumed that most people who follow wrestling would know who AJ Styles is. He was one of the biggest names in TNA for years, and those that didn't follow WWE usually watched that instead.

Gallows has been around before, granted it was a long time ago. Nakamura is someone that would only really be known if you followed indy wrestling, and Anderson. Well I don't really know him either. The only Anderson I remember is Ken Anderson from his time as Mr. Kennedy.

But most of the casual audience won't know them from Adam. I was at a house show in Toronto months ago, and the guy beside me didn't know who Sasha Banks and Tyler Breeze was. So yea.

I don't know why people who claim to be fans of these guys want this so bad.

The main roster? The home of .500 booking and serving corporate sponsors? That's were you want these talents to go?

Or to a place intended to develop guys for the future and whose goal it is this year to become a money-making wrestling promotion?

I think people who are less plugged in to ongoings don't seem to realize NXT is more than developmental at this point.

I realize that it's more than development, but either they are going to start moving people to the main roster (notice I didn't say "up to the main roster), I don't believe anymore that it's a promotion, or they want to beef up the product on RAW.

Would Styles or Nakamura sign just to be in NXT, or do they want major exposure on RAW. I wouldn't mind if they stay in NXT, but it depends on what they've been promised, and since I do watch RAW would be nice to see some new faces. Even if it's only two of them. RAW needs a major shakeup.

Something vital to this story, which seems to have been skipped by the responders to this thread so far, is the fact that the Network went live in Japan the same day this report broke. Whether they show up on the main roster or on NXT will boil down to whether they're going to use well known Japanese names to sell the Network via NXT and a possible NXT tour in Japan, or to increase interest in PPVs and the main roster.

I guess it would make more sense for the NXT route, considering that how is Network exclusive (unless the japanese network will be different and will include live Raws + Smackdown on Fridays).

Either way, I'm hyped, being a huge Anderson fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back