• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bray Wyatt - What do you think?

Until recently, I have never been interested at all in Windham Rotunda. I had known that he didn't cut it as Husky Harris so he was sent back to FCW to learn some more.

During April, he returned with a new Cape Fear-ish/dark preacher gimmick that immediately took off. I had read about it a few times never got around to watching him or looking up his matches or promos.

I loved the promo he did on the second episode of the new NXT. It almost felt as if I weren't even watching a wrestling program, that I was watching some trailer for a movie. After watching his second vignette on the new NXT, I was convinced that he has taken his career in the WWE and did a complete 180. I took to YouTube and watched a bit more about him.

If you have not seen his recent promo, here it is.

I believe that this could be something of huge potential.

Do you think this is the change that was needed to restart his career? Do you think that this will eventually flop?

For those who know a bit more about Bray Wyatt, would you change anything about him?

I like the guy, and I dig this character. I think it's been long enough that a lot of fans won't remember Waylon Mercy. I'm personally interested in what they do with him. I think that a "religious" character is always edgy and with the right elements, and situations, it could be great. I see him working as a heel in this character though. I'd have a tough time seeing it working as a face. But then again, people didn't think Stone Cold Steve Austin would be a face, so I could be wrong.

I just really hope that we don't have another Mordecai on our hands. Ugh. I want this character to work and so far it is working. I hope WWE doesn't put the breaks on it.

Waylon who?

Okay he dresses like Waylon Mercy, but Waylon Mercy was a soft spoken con man who could get over in todays WWE due to the smarks out there similar to how Daniel Bryan gets cheered. I think Rotunda will get over because overall he is very charismatic and has bloodlines.

Absolutely love the Bray Wyatt character. Can't wait for his debut on NXT. Now if only WWE would give us more interesting characters like this. Just give these young guys a chance, and I think some of them might surprise us. I believe NXT will be perfect for that.

I think Bray Wyatt is one of the best gimmicks in recent years. Everything i have seen so far from his new character in FCW has been great. I have been looking forward to seeing him progress. He is definitely someone i would say to keep an eye on, he has a lot of potential. I'm looking even more forward to when he gets called up to the main roster. Maybe he can provide some new interesting feuds and storylines.

There is a lot of potential here but they must avoid the obvious... no feeding to Taker ala Mordacai... but gimmick wise, it's the most intruiging in a long, long time... What can I see for him? Hell if they get it right, I think we have our guy to end the streak...

I can't wait for this character to debut on WWE TV. I saw some of his promos in FCW and I really think this character is going to be huge.

I like the guy from what little I've seen in FCW; a unique character that Rotunda has thrown himself into without coming across as corny or forced.

In the ring, also impressive, but at the moment just he's only limited to squash matches, which seems to be the trend with new superstars these days. I remember when wrestlers such as Kurt Angle and William Regal debuted, and though they were pushed with early undefeated streaks, the guys they were going over got at least a good 5-10 minutes.

For that reason, then, that there are just too many new faces on WWE television right now, they should hold off on debuting Bray Wyatt outside of FCW/NXT, so he can perfect his abilities.

Furthermore, (and I think this is the beauty of the revamped developmental show), regular appearances on NXT will help kindle a relationship with a select audience of fans, so if or when it's time to be promoted to the main roster, creative won't have to go through the long and arduous task of building-up their character on the primetime shows (e.g. Ryback). The same also goes for Dean Ambrose, Kassius Ohno, The Ascension, and so forth.

I really liked what I saw from him in FCW a couple months ago so I hope they stick with it, he does well and ends up on SmackDown.

I have had that promo in my head for days. It really stuck with me and I think I will enjoy his character.

I dont know where to begin with him, but I really think he could make it big as a Heel on the Smackdown roster. I just dont know how I would book it.

All in all, the promo was fantastic and WWE should do this stuff more often. They should also add some of the Agents from NXT to Raw because the Michael Mcgillicutty Vs Tyson Kidd match from Episode 1 was some excellent shit!

I'm kind of excited about this character. Unexpected injury prevented the Waylon Mercy character from truly coming to fruition. I feel like this is a second chance to see what that type of character can do if given the opportunity.

Dan Spivey (Waylon Mercy) had ties into the Rotunda/Windham family as he was trained by Barry Windham, teamed with Kendall Windham & Mike Rotunda. Is it possible that Bray Wyatt could be a tribute to Waylon Mercy? Could it be possible that Windham asked for Dan's permission/blessing or even advice for this new character?

WHy the fuck is this character not on TV? We have interesting shit like this happening on NXT and on the main show we have more Big Show than ever? Something is wrong here. This needs to be on TV

I've been a fan of this character since it's incarnation months ago. I love how it's getting this response on here. As far as Bray Wyatt is concerned, there are several things that are going to need to happen in order for this character to maximize it's potential.

He's a cult leader. That's basically what they are foreshadowing with the vignettes for NXT. You see these people fading in and out, and he's preaching about love. He must have a stable or actors to follow him to the ring or in the backstage. Also, once he really gets started up and has enough people behind him, he's going to need other people to do his dirty work and fight for him. Make the WWE Universe believe that these people will do anything for this man. Make him abuse the hell out of his cult following. Give him major storylines and major alliances with lower mid card guys (Heath Slater, Trent Baretta, Joe Hennig, maybe even Jack Swagger if his current losing ways keep going) following his legion. He's going to need consistent air time as well.

With the right booking, the potential of the Waylon Mercy and Raven like gimmicks can be realized in full here. WWE has a major player in their hands. This character is their's to make successful or flounder. I would love to be on the creative staff for when it comes to booking Bray. I think they're going to have ample choices and directions for it to go in. Should be fun to watch.

If this is simply Windham's creation and his idea, then I say they should let him run with the idea anyway he pleases as long as there are no problems. So far, he is turning heads and the WWE has noticed it obviously or they wouldn't push him with the promos.

I really like his character, it's fresh, he's a great talent, and we need more personalities. I can't wait to see how things go with him.

I always liked him even as Husky Harris I saw something in the guy from the start and I LOVE the Bray Wyatt gimmick I think he does beautiful promo work with it and his ring work was always there for me. I hope hes not on NXT long I wanna see him move up to RAW or Smackdown as soon as possible.

I was actually at this past week's Raw /Superstars event and Bray took on Riley in our opening contest. The crowd ate him up!

His personality has improved dramatically since the character change in just a few months. I'm looking forward to what could happen!

Just watched the "I ain't no white trash" promo.....creepiest stuff I've seen in years. Kinda reminds me of Jake Roberts. Real and cerebral. He needs to be on RAW...

It's fascinating though that he was just on NXT a few years ago as Husky Harris, and now he is there again as a completely different person. I wonder if the announcers will mention that he is the only wrestler that has gotten a second chance to win NXT.

I'm a big fan, so far. The character is interesting, it's different -- that counts for a lot, in the big scheme of things. The biggest step to getting over is (arguably) having a character that the crowd can invest in. You can have a fountain of talent, but it's not worth anything if you don't have a character you're not comfortable with (See: Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, etc.). As of right not, Bray Wyatt has all the tools for success. I know people weren't big on the Husky Harris character, but for a man of his stature, Rotunda showed that he could work a good match. Now, he's showing the rest of his ability -- he's got more dimensions than just one; he's good on the mic, knows how to work in the ring, he's got a unique look -- these are all things that add up to success.

A lot of this may seem as though people are looking into a promo far too much, and I can understand that. Until we see how Rotunda adapts to the Wyatt character in the ring, we can't judge. Sure, he can work a good match, but for this type of a gimmick, he'll require a unique style in the ring. He's going to truly have to embrace this character. Do I think he can do it? Most definitely. The promos I've seen so far have been some of my favorite stuff I've seen in ages. He's frighteningly good -- he's intense, believable, passionate, and so on. As long as he has a mic and is allowed time to blossom on TV, I don't think he'll have any problem becoming a star.

All things considered, he's come a long way. A year ago, nobody would have thought he would amount to any degree of stardom. That says a lot about how great of a fit this gimmick is. It has taken a rather forgettable worker and given him the tools to become a star. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if be ended up in the main event in a few years. He's not as marketable as you would like him to be, but that's null and void in today's WWE (See: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry). This is a welcome change of pace in the monotony of what wrestling has become. Not only that, but it speaks volumes to the amount of talent down in FCW. This latest crop of rookies has a lot of potential and promise, with Bray Wyatt possibly making his way to the front of the line.

I'm a big fan, so far. The character is interesting, it's different -- that counts for a lot, in the big scheme of things. The biggest step to getting over is (arguably) having a character that the crowd can invest in. You can have a fountain of talent, but it's not worth anything if you don't have a character you're not comfortable with (See: Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, etc.). As of right not, Bray Wyatt has all the tools for success. I know people weren't big on the Husky Harris character, but for a man of his stature, Rotunda showed that he could work a good match. Now, he's showing the rest of his ability -- he's got more dimensions than just one; he's good on the mic, knows how to work in the ring, he's got a unique look -- these are all things that add up to success.

A lot of this may seem as though people are looking into a promo far too much, and I can understand that. Until we see how Rotunda adapts to the Wyatt character in the ring, we can't judge. Sure, he can work a good match, but for this type of a gimmick, he'll require a unique style in the ring. He's going to truly have to embrace this character. Do I think he can do it? Most definitely. The promos I've seen so far have been some of my favorite stuff I've seen in ages. He's frighteningly good -- he's intense, believable, passionate, and so on. As long as he has a mic and is allowed time to blossom on TV, I don't think he'll have any problem becoming a star.

All things considered, he's come a long way. A year ago, nobody would have thought he would amount to any degree of stardom. That says a lot about how great of a fit this gimmick is. It has taken a rather forgettable worker and given him the tools to become a star. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if be ended up in the main event in a few years. He's not as marketable as you would like him to be, but that's null and void in today's WWE (See: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry). This is a welcome change of pace in the monotony of what wrestling has become. Not only that, but it speaks volumes to the amount of talent down in FCW. This latest crop of rookies has a lot of potential and promise, with Bray Wyatt possibly making his way to the front of the line.

Me and Crock ain't always been on the same page, but I have to agree with him here.
This kids mic work is scary good. As i've said before he's got a hint of Jake Roberts on him and it works. I believe what he's saying. He's great in the ring for what i've seen from him so far, and I think that without a doubt, he can be a legit main event star.
HOWEVER.....and here's where things get kinda iffy...
I think he could have been top level back in the attitude era of wrestling, but in today's wrestling landscape, the PG era, how do you get that sadistic, cult-ish kind of character over on RAW?
I mean think about the most outlandish character on RAW today. Think about the most over "CHARACTER" we have? Santino? Brodus Clay? You can't really count the Undertaker cause he only works one match a year but...well...
But heres the thing though, Bray Wyatt's character is played as if its rooted in some issues that could have actually happened. Some real life gruesome murderous cult like activity... If he actually plays it that way.
But how do you lighten that up without losing the intensity....

Maybe i'm making more of this than it should be.
I really like what i'm seeing with the guy, in all its authenticity and I guess my big issue is, once he is on TV is he going to have to water down what he's doing because of what Linda McMahon is doing. She can't run for senate, and keep the PG era going, while having a cult leader type of personality and before you say anything, Punk doing the Straight Edge Society or leading the Nexus was NOTHING compared to what this kid could pull off if given the right angle. I mean seriously...he talked about settin his DADDY on fire. I know the E ain't gonna do no murder angles or anything like that but that promo....
downright creeps me out and you know what, that exactly what the WWE needs.
It just feels like they're gonna find a way to screw it up.

Just watching this guys promo on new NXT gives me goosebumps. i haven't seen so much potental since Damien sandow debuted.

this guy is going places and is certainly better than his husky harris character and it would be a waste not to at least put him in a lower card feud with another budding superstar on Smackdown.

I would die to see Wyatt and Seth Rollins in a feud on Smackdown because I think given enough time, it could turn out to be brillant and launch both men's carreers.

The promos are looking very promising. I just hope they can separate him from Dean Ambrose. I can see that they're two different characters but at the same time they're kind of similar. Maybe these two can align once they debut and eventually feud to provide for some great matches. I have to agree with one of the other posters in that the stuff on NXT is so promising and yet we're stuck with a lot of stuff on RAW and Smackdown that's nowhere near as good. I hope they're just trying to make sure some of these guys are going to be ready when they get pulled to the main roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back