Austin Region, Omaha Subregion, Second Round (7) Roddy Piper vs. (10) Antonio Inoki

Who Wins This Match?

• Roddy Piper

• Antonio Inoki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
This is a second round match in the Austin Region, Omaha Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.

clinkpts.jpg

piperSQ_profile_thumb.jpg

#7 Roddy Piper

VS.

main.jpg

#10 Antonio Inoki

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Piper's biggest obstacle in this tournament year in and year out is his lack of major championships. I mean Piper was extremely over and was a great draw but he just never won the big one. I feel like if he had have won the WWE or even WCW titles a couple of times he would've been pushed to the final four before in this thing.

Inoki, on the other hand, is like a god in Japan to wrestling fans. He was the guy in Japan for years upon years. He has won major championships and was a huge draw for his entire career. Inoki wins this one regardless of venue.

Vote Inoki.

Antonio Inoki wasn't just a god in Japan. He was quite well known in the States too. His working relationship with WWE in the late 70's protected his booking. You can find proof of this if you look no further than the Brawl to End it All event. Inoki had two matches and won both. He defended his World Martial Arts title, a championship given to him personally by Vince McMahon Sr, and he won a 20 man battle royal, outlasting opponents such as Paul Orndorff, Sergeant Slaughter, and Iron Sheik. All of whom were on the level of prime 80's Piper. Looking at Cagematch's database I cannot find evidence of Inoki losing a single match against Piper anywhere else. And while those matches may have happened in Japan, Inoki would have no problem beating Piper. He drew 30,000 to MSG to watch a closed circuit televised fight happening in another country. That's impressive. And his induction into the HOFame has opened the door for other Japanese greats to get the recognition they deserve. We've already seen Tatsumi Fujinami be inducted. How long before we see Great Muta or Jushin Liger? It's plausible now thanks to Inoki opening those doors.

When you add in Inoki's accolades, they dwarf Pipers. When you add in Inoki's significance to wrestling history it dwarfs Piper's. The fact that Piper is seeded above Inoki is insulting enough. Piper would lose this match and justifiably so.

Vote Inoki.

Not totally set either way on this. On the one hand, strictly within the business Inoki has done more, and whilst his match with Ali was well publicised at the time, he does not remain a household name outside of Japan, something that isn't true of Piper's native Scotland. Yes I know. Anyway, I'm not sure, Inoki is obviously a big deal, but the people who know more than me about Japanese wrestling tend to downplay his reach and appeal a bit, but is that just because they prefer his rivals' promotions? I don't know. My head is telling me Inoki, my gut is telling me Piper, you have 24 hours to sway me.

Reactions: Lee
Looking at the brackets beforehand, I was really surprised that Inoki was ranked so low. Despite that, I think most people who participate in this tournament recognize the influence that Inkoi had on the business and how massive of a star he really was. WWE just broke the "all-time attendance record", but in reality they're not close, and never have been close to the real all time attendance record, which was nearly 200,000 people, all of whom went to see Inoki and Flair at the Rungnado May Day Stadium 40 years ago.

He's trained a countless number of stars including Muta, Tiger Mask, Bad News Brown, etc. His impact on wrestling is felt much farther than Japan. All things considered he should beat Piper. 10 times out of 10 he would have beaten Piper. I loved the Hot Rod, but he'll always be the guy who should have won the championship. Inoki truly is among the wrestling gods.

Not totally set either way on this. On the one hand, strictly within the business Inoki has done more, and whilst his match with Ali was well publicised at the time, he does not remain a household name outside of Japan, something that isn't true of Piper's native Scotland. Yes I know. Anyway, I'm not sure, Inoki is obviously a big deal, but the people who know more than me about Japanese wrestling tend to downplay his reach and appeal a bit, but is that just because they prefer his rivals' promotions? I don't know. My head is telling me Inoki, my gut is telling me Piper, you have 24 hours to sway me.

Piper wasn't a native of Scotland. He was a native of Canada. And Piper doesn't transcend wrestling circles in 2016. He was popular among current fans because WWE peddled him for so long, but his greatest run of relevance came about 30 years ago. And even then he never had the widespread appeal that Inoki had at his peak. The average 30+ year old that hasn't consistently followed wrestling at one point wouldn't have a clue who Piper is. He's not Hogan. Newer fans revere him about as much as we revere Gene Kiniski. And while Inoki hasn't been relevant with American audiences since the 80's he at least remains a true household name in his native country.

If accolades, influence, longevity, appeal, and popularity mean something to you then you should be voting Inoki. He easily trumps Piper in all those areas.

Antonio Inoki wasn't just a god in Japan. He was quite well known in the States too. His working relationship with WWE in the late 70's protected his booking. You can find proof of this if you look no further than the Brawl to End it All event. Inoki had two matches and won both. He defended his World Martial Arts title, a championship given to him personally by Vince McMahon Sr, and he won a 20 man battle royal, outlasting opponents such as Paul Orndorff, Sergeant Slaughter, and Iron Sheik. All of whom were on the level of prime 80's Piper. Looking at Cagematch's database I cannot find evidence of Inoki losing a single match against Piper anywhere else. And while those matches may have happened in Japan, Inoki would have no problem beating Piper. He drew 30,000 to MSG to watch a closed circuit televised fight happening in another country. That's impressive. And his induction into the HOFame has opened the door for other Japanese greats to get the recognition they deserve. We've already seen Tatsumi Fujinami be inducted. How long before we see Great Muta or Jushin Liger? It's plausible now thanks to Inoki opening those doors.

When you add in Inoki's accolades, they dwarf Pipers. When you add in Inoki's significance to wrestling history it dwarfs Piper's. The fact that Piper is seeded above Inoki is insulting enough. Piper would lose this match and justifiably so.

Vote Inoki.

Ah you're here.

Now hold on a minute, people are handing it over to Inoki pretty quick here and while I am versed with the man's accomplishment the question I ask is, who was the bigger name globally?

Piper was never THE man like Inoki and it does favor Inoki but overall popularity and appeal, Piper I think.

Ah you're here.

Now hold on a minute, people are handing it over to Inoki pretty quick here and while I am versed with the man's accomplishment the question I ask is, who was the bigger name globally?

Piper was never THE man like Inoki and it does favor Inoki but overall popularity and appeal, Piper I think.

When Piper was in his prime, WWE was still a nationally known promotion. They did not have the global reach that they do today. If Piper got to wrestle outside the US, say in Japan, it was because of Vince Sr's working relationship with Inoki and NJPW. Piper wasn't used in any greater capacity by WCW, and by the 00's he was all but retired from wrestling full time. Inoki was well known in Japan, the States, Brazil [he spent most of his childhood and was later known for some controversial business decisions there] and has even ran cards in North Korea and China as acts of diplomacy. Inoki retired from a full time wrestling schedule around the same time, but started his career about a decade before.

If you're going to argue universal popularity and appeal, then it's Inoki.

He was popular among current fans because WWE peddled him for so long, but his greatest run of relevance came about 30 years ago. And even then he never had the widespread appeal that Inoki had at his peak.

The irony of you bellowing that someone's peak was "30 years ago" is amazing, you know that?

And, it's not like his peak was a flash in the pan. I was in the Garden to hear the competing Piper and Hogan chants, and it was breathtaking. If his greatest career accomplishment is that he headlined the first WrestleMania, then I'd say that's not so bad.

Inoki may very well win this, and it may not be as close as it really should be, but Piper has my vote. The man did enough in his career to get a little respect, and I don't think this is as one-sided as it will be made out to be.

This here be a tough one for me. Both men transcended wrestling into film and TV. Inoki had and maybe still has, I'm too lazy to check, a political career in his native Japan.

Piper had the misfortune of being a big star in the Hogan era, where a lot of guys hit the glass ceiling that Hogan created, but Inoki was able to wrestle and beat Hogan, so I think I'm gonna go with Inoki.

When Piper was in his prime, WWE was still a nationally known promotion. They did not have the global reach that they do today. If Piper got to wrestle outside the US, say in Japan, it was because of Vince Sr's working relationship with Inoki and NJPW. Piper wasn't used in any greater capacity by WCW, and by the 00's he was all but retired from wrestling full time. Inoki was well known in Japan, the States, Brazil [he spent most of his childhood and was later known for some controversial business decisions there] and has even ran cards in North Korea and China as acts of diplomacy. Inoki retired from a full time wrestling schedule around the same time, but started his career about a decade before.

If you're going to argue universal popularity and appeal, then it's Inoki.

All true, but his work with Hogan during Mania, his bout with Mr. T gave him national notoriety. His accomplishments are one that also give him an appeal that then took him to movies.

Inoki and his bout with Ali comes to mind here too. To be honest I don't know maybe Inoki here maybe Roddy.

Downplaying Piper's charisma & global popularity here a bit gentlemen. I know people who started watching wrestling because of seeing Piper in They Live. I am willing to bet more people have seen & liked that movie without knowing Piper was a wrestler than there are people who started watching because of something Inoki did.

Sure Inoki is a Japanese icon & had great success over here a few times, but many people dont know who he is. It seems that if you are not Japanese or a true die hard wrestling fan, Inoki is not a name you would recognize. Piper is. He may not have had as many titles as others, but he became a legend despite that. The guy made the absolute most out of what he was given & shined. He didnt need gold or his own company to become great.

Voting either way has it's merit, but Piper is more well known than Inoki. I vote Hot Rod because he was more entertaining for me & I have far more memories of his time than I will of his opponent here. This time, personal impact & enjoyment trumps titles.

Sure Inoki is a Japanese icon & had great success over here a few times, but many people dont know who he is. It seems that if you are not Japanese or a true die hard wrestling fan, Inoki is not a name you would recognize. Piper is. He may not have had as many titles as others, but he became a legend despite that. The guy made the absolute most out of what he was given & shined. He didnt need gold or his own company to become great.

This argument really needs to go. Many people do know who Antonio Inoki is. Everybody in Japan and all but the most casual of fans around the world know who Antonio Inoki is. Just because Inoki didn't make his name over here in North America doesn't mean he isn't remembered as fondly or as much as Piper. Japanese wrestling fans count just as much as American wrestling fans, and the NJPW was probably the biggest wrestling company in the world at the time Inoki was at his peak.

Piper had a great but very short run on top. He was nuclear at one point, but the majority of his career was spent in the upper mid-midcard. He had a one year program with Hogan before facing Mr T at Mania 2 and than turning face and feuding with Adrian Adonis.

If El Santo is beating Dusty Rhodes I see no reason at all why Piper should go over Inoki here.

I'd like to point out that it's estimated that 1.4 billion people watched Inoki vs Ali in 1976. At the time the worlds population was only 4.1 billion people. 34% of the world's population watched him fight. Please inform me when Piper drew anywhere near that number for one of his fights.

I just want to say that I'm pretty sure I accidentally pushed the button for Piper when I meant to pick Inoki. I really hope Piper doesn't end up winning this thing because of that vote.

Piper has a very important place in wrestling history and is one of the biggest draws in American wrestling ever. BUT...Inoki would give him a reality check big time.

]This argument really needs to go. Many people do know who Antonio Inoki is. Everybody in Japan and all but the most casual of fans around the world know who Antonio Inoki is[/B]. Just because Inoki didn't make his name over here in North America doesn't mean he isn't remembered as fondly or as much as Piper. Japanese wrestling fans count just as much as American wrestling fans, and the NJPW was probably the biggest wrestling company in the world at the time Inoki was at his peak.

Piper had a great but very short run on top. He was nuclear at one point, but the majority of his career was spent in the upper mid-midcard. He had a one year program with Hogan before facing Mr T at Mania 2 and than turning face and feuding with Adrian Adonis.

If El Santo is beating Dusty Rhodes I see no reason at all why Piper should go over Inoki here.

I had a big row with someone, I cannot remember, a few years ago in this tourney, about the Undertaker and I said that The Undertaker is just way more popular globally.

Piper is more popular globally, mainstream than Inoki. But, there is no real way to find that out. You go by heresay and whose name you've heard more from most people.

Piper's stupidest mistake here is not dying in the last month so he could get that Warrior 2014 rub.

Otherwise the voters so far are incredibly fucking stupid to put through a Japanese guy in Omaha Nebraska. Like they're taking meetings with Warren Buffett then going out for sushi.

Piper is not losing to a Japanese back fighter. Well he is because voters here are fucking morons but he shouldn't be.

Don't be a fucking a moron unless you plan on going out for sushi in Nebraska.

Piper's stupidest mistake here is not dying in the last month so he could get that Warrior 2014 rub.

Otherwise the voters so far are incredibly fucking stupid to put through a Japanese guy in Omaha Nebraska. Like they're taking meetings with Warren Buffett then going out for sushi.

Piper is not losing to a Japanese back fighter. Well he is because voters here are fucking morons but he shouldn't be.

Don't be a fucking a moron unless you plan on going out for sushi in Nebraska.

Gotcha, Japanese people can't win wrestling matches in the state of Nebraska. Remarkable argument.

I'm glad to see Inoki is winning here. Like, well, everyone I love Hot Rod. But the man was ALWAYS a supporting player. He was the hot heel you'd use to put over other guys, to get them more heat. I mean, outside of beating Greg Valentine at the original Starrcade and beating Hogan with a sleeper at Starrcade 96, can you even name a single big time match the man ever won? I can't. All of his most famous feuds and angles and moments always culminated with him losing in the end. Inoki, on the other hand, was fucking GOD of Japanese professional wrestling from the 70s to 80s. Baba was the only one comparable. You think Lesnar or Triple H don't do enough jobs? Inoki's record would make Mil Mascaras jealous. The man lost a handful of singles matches in an entire decade, a run similar to that of Andre's. Furthermore, the man was so wildly popular and well respected he became a member of the Japanese parliament while still working the occasional match! There's a reason Inoki is one of the few Japanese wrestlers to be in the WWE Hall of Fame, and it's because of anyone who knows anything about wrestling understands how important and huge of a star he was.

Inoki is the right choice.

Voting for Hot Rod based on personal preference. Inoki is a legend and one of the most well known and widely respected Japanese wrestlers in history, but honestly outside of watching a few matches on the internet, he doesn't mean much to me.

I have countless great memories of watching Piper on a regular basis throughout my childhood and he'll always be my favorite wrestling heel. Hit the bagpipes.

This argument really needs to go. Many people do know who Antonio Inoki is. Everybody in Japan and all but the most casual of fans around the world know who Antonio Inoki is. Just because Inoki didn't make his name over here in North America doesn't mean he isn't remembered as fondly or as much as Piper. Japanese wrestling fans count just as much as American wrestling fans, and the NJPW was probably the biggest wrestling company in the world at the time Inoki was at his peak.

I like how you ignored the next part of my post after the part you bolded & said the basic same thing like I had not mentioned it.

Pipers name comes up far more often than Inoki during conversations around here & in real life. Outside of Japan & besides the small die hard fan base here, Inoki is not a hot topic. Respected? Obviously, but more People know of Piper if you were to walk out on the street and poll people. Even then, the few that know them both of that poll, many of them will know more of Roddy's work than they will of Inoki's.

People will vote accordingly how they see fit, but this downplaying and dismissal of how popular Hot Rod is... that is what needs to go.

I like how you ignored the next part of my post after the part you bolded & said the basic same thing like I had not mentioned it.

Honestly, I misread your post and thought you said "only die hard Japanese fans" know who Inoki is. My fault. But still, you did say everybody was downplaying Hot Rod's popularity while you're guilty of the same thing. You say only die-hard wrestling fans outside of Japan have heard of Inoki but I wouldn't say that's true at all. Inoki's name is revered in wrestling circles all over the world. Yeah more people in North America have probably heard of Piper more than Inoki. But around the world? It would be much closer than you're giving Inoki credit for.

Pipers name comes up far more often than Inoki during conversations around here & in real life. Outside of Japan & besides the small die hard fan base here, Inoki is not a hot topic. Respected? Obviously, but more People know of Piper if you were to walk out on the street and poll people. Even then, the few that know them both of that poll, many of them will know more of Roddy's work than they will of Inoki's.

Yes, but we live in America... well you do I assume, I don't, but my point is if you left North America and went into other people's real lives and polled them, it would be a much different story.

People will vote accordingly how they see fit, but this downplaying and dismissal of how popular Hot Rod is... that is what needs to go.

I never downplayed how popular Piper was. Not once. I think I even described him as nuclear at one point, but that was for a very short period. He remained very popular after his feud with Hogan but usually wrestled as an upper-midcard hand until he showed up in WCW in 96.

Bagpipes & whatever Japanese people play at this point, my friend. Inoki is a big deal, Piper is a big deal. I can only base popularity on what I have seen & it seems in my dealings then Inoki is not as well known. Should he be? Yeah. Most people just know him as that Asian guy from the HOF & he deserves more. I have just known & spoke to more people who are aware of Piper more. Does it have to do with where we live? Probably. Either way I prefer Piper & this is one of those times I vote based on that alone.

There's a reason Inoki is one of the few Japanese wrestlers to be in the WWE Hall of Fame, and it's because of anyone who knows anything about wrestling understands how important and huge of a star he was.

This is your weakest argument ever. I'm not disagreeing with the rest, because although I voted for Piper, I am fully aware of Inoki's legacy, but this one is a stretch.

Inoki being in the same WWE Hall of Fame that houses the names of such greats as Koko B Ware and The Godfather...is no reason for him to go over Piper.

This is your weakest argument ever. I'm not disagreeing with the rest, because although I voted for Piper, I am fully aware of Inoki's legacy, but this one is a stretch.

Inoki being in the same WWE Hall of Fame that houses the names of such greats as Koko B Ware and The Godfather...is no reason for him to go over Piper.

Uhhh...that wasn't my argument at all. My argument (which I don't understand why I need to explain again if you read my post( is that Piper spent his career as a supporting player losing most big feuds while Inoki demolished his competition in an Andre like run for over a decade. Noting his WWE HOF induction was just that---a note. Because he's one of exactly 2 out of 147 inductees who is a native Japanese wrestler. That's less than 1℅. I'd say that's obviously indicative of his stature in this business since unlike Koko neither of those two men wrestled for the WWE for more than a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back