Austin Region, Omaha Subregion, First Round: (10) Antonio Inoki vs. (23) Yokozuna

Who Wins This Match?

• Antonio Inoki

• Yokozuna

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Omaha Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.

clinkpts.jpg

antonioinoki2.jpg

#10. Antonio Inoki

Vs.

1-yokozuna-wrestler.jpg

#23. Yokozuna

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Lou Thesz, Andre The Giant, Vader, Terry Funk, Dory Funk Jr., Karl Gotch, The Great Muta, Bob Backlund, Jack Brisco, Stan Hansen, King Kong Bundy, Bam Bam Bigellow, Billy Graham, Pat Patterson, Tasumi Fujinami and many others have fallen to Antonio Inoki and I expect Yokozuna would follow the same path. Big, small, fat, tall it simply doesn't matter as Inoki has beaten them all. Now, I'm sure someone on here will say "But Misson, didn't Inoki lose to Vader that one time? Doesn't that mean Inoki right away sucks at fighting big guys?!" Yes, Inoki did lose one time against a young Vader, but that's not all to that story. Prior to his loss Inoki suffered a DQ win against Riki Chosu in a match which was followed up by one against Vader. Vader on the other hand coming into that match was completely rested. So of course Vader won. However, later on Inoki was not only able to regain his win against Vader, but he also gained another win against him this time at the ripe old age of 53! I feel as though Yokozuna would just join Andre, Vader, King Kong Bundy and Bam Bam Bigelow in the list of giants that Antonio Inoki has slain.

Last year Yokozuna pulled off the upset of all upsets and knocked Hogan out in round one. I don't see history repeating itself though.

Yoko was a great villain when I was a kid. NSL and I were talking about Lex Luger last night and I mentioned that for me Luger's career high point was slamming Yoko on that battleship. He was that good of a heel that one simple body slam made me mark out as a child. Had he not been concerned with adding mass, we may have been able to see more of the face Yoko and possibly him adding to his two world title reigns.

Inoki is another monster entirely though. With a chin sculpted by the gods themselves, he was arguably the biggest star in Japan for most of his life. He beat a lot of big names including American legends like Hogan and Flair. He even had a fairly successful political career while still an active wrestler. So do the right thing and vote for Inoki.

When I think of Japanese wrestling, Antonio Inoki is the first guy that comes to my mind. Throughout his career, Inoki was one of the top dogs all around the world, let alone his popularity in his home country, where he became (and still is) a politician, all while still wrestling until his retirement in 98.
Yokozuna, however, had a solid career, his run in 93 as WWF Champion (his 2nd run, mind you) was entertaining, as he had memorable feuds, the one with Luger naturally coming to mind first.
Even so, Inoki's career exceeds that of Yoko's, so I'm going with The former in this one.
Vote Antonio Inoki.

Antonio Inoki has beaten much bigger and better than Yoko throughout his career. Maybe not MUCH bigger, but you get the point. Yoko's just another monster on the long list to fall to Inoki. Perhaps I'm doing Yokozuna a disservice. For a two year period, he was more dominant than anybody in the business, but the fact still stands, Inoki's resume speaks for itself. He's beaten everyone and anyone that's stood in front of him and Yokozuna would have been no different.

Inoki broke into the business by working throughout the southern United States for several years in his youth, while I don't think he ever worked Nebraska, he did work Texas, Missouri, and Tennessee. Later during his business partnership with the WWE, he toured the Northeast with winning record. Inoki was a big name in the States. The fight against Muhammad Ali drew a sell out crowd in Tokyo on top of an additional 30,000 who packed MSG to watch the fight on close circuit TV. In fact an estimated 1.4 billion saw that fight all over the world, demonstrating the kind of recognizably factor Antonio Inoki had at the time. So we can leave the "Match is in the US so Yoko wins LOL" comments at the door.

As for the contest Yoko's size doesn't mean anything. Inoki has a winning record against huge men like Andre and Vader. As well as one of Yoko's arch rivals Hulk Hogan for good measure.

Here's a video of him stomping the shit out of Great Antonio, a 480 pound strong man with the strength to pull 4 loaded buses and a train.

[youtube]9lXAGZtMxU8[/youtube]

Even though Inoki looked wiry he had great strength. He's slammed Andre multiple times. Inoki has even fought the massive McGuire twins, each brother weighed in excess of 600 pounds, in a handicapped match. And won.

[youtube]rQIylEif2-I[/youtube]

So yeah, total victory for Antonio Inoki here.

Not much to say that hasn't been said. Yokozuna had a decent short run at the top, but in a very low time for WWF. The feud between the two could have been great, with Mr. Fuji involved, but there's no chance in hell Yokozuna would pick up a major win over a guy like Inoki.

Inoki broke into the business by working throughout the southern United States for several years in his youth, while I don't think he ever worked Nebraska, he did work Texas, Missouri, and Tennessee. Later during his business partnership with the WWE, he toured the Northeast with winning record. Inoki was a big name in the States. The fight against Muhammad Ali drew a sell out crowd in Tokyo on top of an additional 30,000 who packed MSG to watch the fight on close circuit TV. In fact an estimated 1.4 billion saw that fight all over the world, demonstrating the kind of recognizably factor Antonio Inoki had at the time. So we can leave the "Match is in the US so Yoko wins LOL" comments at the door.

As for the contest Yoko's size doesn't mean anything. Inoki has a winning record against huge men like Andre and Vader. As well as one of Yoko's arch rivals Hulk Hogan for good measure.

Here's a video of him stomping the shit out of Great Antonio, a 480 pound strong man with the strength to pull 4 loaded buses and a train.

[youtube]9lXAGZtMxU8[/youtube]

Even though Inoki looked wiry he had great strength. He's slammed Andre multiple times. Inoki has even fought the massive McGuire twins, each brother weighed in excess of 600 pounds, in a handicapped match. And won.

[youtube]rQIylEif2-I[/youtube]

So yeah, total victory for Antonio Inoki here.

I'm not sure you needed to blow your load here, but thanks for the lesson :lmao:

Yoko's miracle first round upsets end here. There is no basis whatsoever to vote Yoko over Inoki. Inoki has had the much better career and has beaten bigger and better monsters than what Yoko is.

Vote Inoki.

Yoko had his moment of glory last year, but no way that happens here. Inoki is essentially Hogan in God mode & Yokozuna is just another monster to slay.

Ech pretty much nailed this one, so this is pretty much just a written vote in case of shenanigans.

Hard to vote which of these two Japanese legends should go over so I've gone with personal taste.

Yokozuna for me.

You have the most decorated and famous wrestler Japan has ever produced against Antonio Inoki here....

Ok, I can't. Yokozuna was a flash in the pan and we all got multiple lols from him beating Hogan this time last year, but not this time around. Inoki would win quite easily.

I have said for years that Yokozuna is one of my all-time 5 greatest Superheavyweight Wrestlers of all time along side Vader, Andre, Bam Bam, and Wight. It is quite difficult to be a wrestler of that size, to be as agile and athletic as he was, and to be such a strong character.

Tastycles makes a fair claim that Yokozuna's prime did not last long. It also lasted at a time when WWE was in a downswing - 1993-1995. That said, let's not overlook how effective Yokozuna was in that time period. He was the quintessential monster heel with not one, but two all-time great managers (Cornette is an ass, but he was a great manager) and he played his role perfectly. He got Lex Luger over. He was the most effective foreign monster heel since The Iron Sheik, and managed to do it at a time when Japan and the US really had no legitimate heat. It's not like the cheaper heat of Mohammad Hassan post 9-11.

Yokozuna, like many other all-time great SHW's, could truly move around the ring. The fact that there were MAJOR storylines surrounding who could 1) knock him off his feet for the first time (it was Duggan, who paid dearly for it) and 2) who could body slam him (Luger) - not even who could defeat him - says a lot.

I am fine if Inoki goes over here because he's a legend with a ton of longevity. Inoki also had a lot more control over booking and management, so that has to be at least taken into account. I am going to vote for Yokozuna out of respect for a great SHW, but I expect and accept an Inoki win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back