Who Wins This Match?

• Goldust

• Kevin Owens

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Omaha Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.

clinkpts.jpg

goldust1.jpg

#15. Goldust

Vs.

101381418419377.jpg

#18. Kevin Owens

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

street-fighter-4-iphone-screen-shot-ko.jpg

I'm going with Kevin Owens here. I'm not going to argue who had the better career because the answer is obviously Goldust, he had a great character and had a list of accomplishments (both as Dustin and Goldust) but Kevin Owens seems like the type of person that would go over in this match.

We know for sure that Kevin Owens can take one hell of a beating and keep on coming, we know he has the skills to topple top guys like John Cena and even though he hasn't been around the big times for that long (although he had GREAT success in ROH) he has made a pretty solid impact nonetheless. He may carry some extra pounds but it doesn't seem to slow him down and he is just plain fun to watch.

Both guys are mid-carders but K.O. has a legitimate chance of moving up the card before his time is done and at this point they've both been IC champ (which is their greatest accomplishment as of this post). Goldust has always been a guy who is a great character, when enthused he can wrestle very well and at his height was over pretty strong. At the same time though you'd never see Goldust pinning Austin, Rock, Cena and you'd never see Goldust have a lengthy program with any of those guys either, he's not at that level. Even though I don't see Owens toppling any of those guys in a feud he's definitely strong enough to have a good, solid feud with them no question (he already did with Cena).

Although I feel at this point Goldust had the greater career he just comes off as a guy who would lose in this match, he feels much more like a roadblock for someone like Owens instead of legitimate challenger for him, he just screams a guy who would give Owens a good match only to put him over in the end so despite the fact Goldust had the better career I have to go with Owens on this one.

I too must go with Kevin Owens. Throughout Goldust's 25+ year career, he never came close to defeating the likes of a John Cena. Kevin Owens pinned Superman clean in his debut. 5 years from now, this probably isn't even a contest.

Let's be honest. Both of these guys in their primes one on one, who are you taking? Owens or Goldust?

While Goldust has had a great run, he never reached the top. While Owens has only been in the WWE for shy of a year, I'd be legitimately surprised if he didn't win the big one. While Goldust has his fair share of mid-card title reigns, K.O. is a frickin machine. He had a dominant run as ROH world champ, won the NXT title in dominant fashion, and defeated Cena in his first match as part of the main roster. He is now a 2-time and the current IC Champion. Even in his prime, Goldust would fall to Owens.
Vote K.O.

I think people are underselling Goldie here. People forget just how over he was in the mid 90s. There were people calling for him to be world champ. I even believe at one point Vince Russo had him in line to win the big one. He put on a lot of wacky stuff, but he had a few IC classics with Razor. He also won ran Roddy Piper over with a car.

KO has a lot of potential, but so far his career can be summed up as the biggest fish in small ponds. Yes he beat Cena, but he did go on to lose the feud, even tapping out to end it. Give this another three or four years, and KO goes over easily, but for now The Bizarre one steals a victory thanks to some wacky antics and possibly even Marlene distracting KO.

Big call and I probably shouldn't be saying it because I really like Dustin Rhodes as a person, without his dad he wouldn't be anywhere near close to what happened throughout his whole career. Playing multiple different characters kept his career going as long as it did as well. In saying all that I never really rated Goldust (Rhodes) that much in the ring. He bore me quite a bit. A combination of factors catapulted Goldust to were he was/is and I think when you compare that to Owens journey then it might be a little unfair that Owens hasn't been given the same treatment (mainly for life not the business).

Now you got some overweight guy who has a beard more scruffy than mine could ever get which is disgusting, beating John Cena in his WWE debut. That's amazing. I really can't name many big people who Goldust has beaten, let alone on the level of Cena. Owens takes this one in a fun match.

Huge fan of both guys. I don't feel like either has what It takes to win the tournament though. Goldust has a terrible run in TNA but shined in in wwe, especially in the late 90's. Owens has done a lot in his short period in wwe and was a mega star in the indies. I don't see Goldie going over though :(. Vote is going to be....Kevin owens.

I like Goldust but love Kevin Owens. Considering accolades, Goldust would win but considering an actual match taking place between these two, Kevin Owens surely goes over Goldust.

And I also think that Owens is much more skilled in-ring worker than Goldust and has pretty good mic-skills too. Owens is a heel that you will surely invest into.

Yeah, Kevin Owens does have a win over John Cena, but the circumstances of the win were purely for shock value and to establish Owens as an immediate threat, otherwise no one would have entertained the notion of Owens hanging with Cena. Kevin has had a fine career so far, and he is one of the few guys I genuinely like to watch, but he's running off of nothing but potential here.

Goldust may have been a career midcarder and even novelty act, but he's had a number of successful runs and moments. Some of them have been comical like his awesome partnership with Booker T or serious like his partnership with brother Cody - or comical like his partnership with Stardust. Point is Goldust has had several memorable runs without having to reinvent himself too much. Out of all the successful gimmicks in WWE I think Goldust is the one that has been consistent for the longest. Undertaker worked as a biker. Kane was a cooperate hand in a suit. But Goldust has pretty much always been Goldust, except for a brief time when he was known as the Artist Formally Known as Goldust.

I feel longevity will win out here. Kevin Owens just hasn't put in the time yet. In 5 years maybe, but for now I say Goldust deserves to go forward.

I feel longevity will win out here. Kevin Owens just hasn't put in the time yet. In 5 years maybe, but for now I say Goldust deserves to go forward.

The more I agree with Ech, the more I need to remind myself to take out some stock on Tums.

Kevin Owens is a tremendous talent, and a hell of a worker. But, I think Goldust/Dustin Rhodes is criminally undersold here. He was solid in the NWA, and the Goldust gimmick, as "bizarre" as it was/is, has worked for him for a long time. He's feuded with some top guys (Vader, Piper) and has a decent title history behind him. Yes, Owens has that one win over Cena, and is the current IC titleholder, but it's been a long time since that belt's meant anything of importance.

Goldust is getting my vote here.

Has to be Goldust.

As big as Owens is now is still nowhere near as over as Goldust was in the mid to late 90's. Goldust was a far more entertaining heel than Owens is now and he has always been good in the ring as well. Maybe in the future after Owens has had time to mature and grow as a performer but for right now, its Goldust.

Vote Goldust.

Goldust might have a prolong career in the business, but it have to be Kevin Owens to be the one coming out on top. Goldust's gimmick had so much of critics in the beginning of the Attitude Era and such. He always and still is a Midcard wrestler who never can make it to the big stage. Whereas, looking at Kevin Owens, making his debut at the age of 16, he had been a hell of a fighter. In WWE, the amount of time he had been walking without the title is just a fraction. He always had carried a title. NXT and 2 time IC Champion in his career so far. He's not going to Pop-up Powerbomb Goldust, rather better, he is going to Package Piledrive him for the win!

Goldust's gimmick had so much of critics in the beginning of the Attitude Era and such.

So? The gimmick is supposed to be out there, and if it rubbed people the wrong way (pun not entirely intended), then it did it's job.

He always and still is a Midcard wrestler who never can make it to the big stage. Whereas, looking at Kevin Owens, making his debut at the age of 16, he had been a hell of a fighter. In WWE, the amount of time he had been walking without the title is just a fraction. He always had carried a title. NXT and 2 time IC Champion in his career so far. He's not going to Pop-up Powerbomb Goldust, rather better, he is going to Package Piledrive him for the win!

You mention that Goldust/Dustin Rhodes never made it to the big stage, but where do you say that Kevin Owens has? The NXT title is a big deal. I'll give you that. But, it's still in a very small "company". The IC belt is worthless. Goldust also held the IC belt, when it was more important. And he had 3 reigns. To go with an NWA tag team championship, two-time WCW tag team champ, world tag team champ with Booker T, and then 2 time tag champ with Cody, and he also was ranked #11 in the PWI 500 in 1996.

So? The gimmick is supposed to be out there, and if it rubbed people the wrong way (pun not entirely intended), then it did it's job.

You mention that Goldust/Dustin Rhodes never made it to the big stage, but where do you say that Kevin Owens has? The NXT title is a big deal. I'll give you that. But, it's still in a very small "company". The IC belt is worthless. Goldust also held the IC belt, when it was more important. And he had 3 reigns. To go with an NWA tag team championship, two-time WCW tag team champ, world tag team champ with Booker T, and then 2 time tag champ with Cody, and he also was ranked #11 in the PWI 500 in 1996.

Perhaps his gimmick had rubbed the people in the wrong way, but you see, Kevin Owens really had made it to the big stage. His very first feud in WWE is with John Cena where he had pinned him clean in his very first match. Not many in the industry would pin John Cena clean on his debut, even if that One was supposed to be the one dethroning Cena from being the face of the company.

Goldust's gimmick is just bizarre; Kevin Owens is Mr. Wrestling, Prize Fighter and all. He certainly has the best in-ring presence than Goldust. I would agree to the extent that, for his age, Goldust is quite solid in the ring, but he isn't Kevin Owens.

Goldust deserves credit. Longevity, titles, his gimmick and family legacy. He can do comedy, he can be dastardly & bizarre.

Problem here is that he is running into a buzzsaw. Someone who is way better at playing the heel & that will do anything it takes to win. Owens has shown he gives no fucks, friend or foe, if you stand in his way of a prize. Owens would have a decent match that went back and forth, but in the end Goldust eats a piledriver.

Goldust's gimmick is just bizarre; Kevin Owens is Mr. Wrestling, Prize Fighter and all. He certainly has the best in-ring presence than Goldust. I would agree to the extent that, for his age, Goldust is quite solid in the ring, but he isn't Kevin Owens.

Wrong. Later incarnations of it were because people were afraid of it, but the original Goldust was a psychological mastermind. He tapped into his opponents deepest fear: the possibility of them being homosexual. To seek victory, he aimed to sap men of their concept of masculinity and confidence in their own machismo. He played with what was most sacred to men of that time, their sexual confidence. He wanted you to LIKE what he did to you, so you would in turn hate or be ashamed of yourself.

Goldust was SUPER ahead of his time. Kitschy while at the same time incredibly deep. He was one of the true forefathers of the Attitude Era, even though he probably won't get credit for it until he goes into the Hall of Fame.

Kevin Owens is cool, and I'm glad he beat Juan Cena, but Goldust is more important in terms of influence than Owens probably ever will be.

I love Golddust. He's everything a star should be, solid matches, good character, able to be effective whether the crowd is for him or against him. He was also one of the most memorable characters of the attitude era in his prime and yet, never was a serious contender above the Intercontinental title. Golddust is the perennial jobber to the stars.

One of those guys he'd be putting over right now, even if it were 1999 is Kevin Owens. He's all but guaranteed to be the World Champion at some point and was put over by the biggest guy in the business right now on his main roster debut. KO wins 10/10.

This is a tough one but I think I am going to settle on voting for Owens.

Honestly speaking, Owens is a proven winner; he has been all of his career quite honestly. And as much as people have, quite rightly, given Goldust a lot of love in this thread, he has never proven himself to be that much of a winner. For all of the years he has been in the business, I don't think he has ever been a World Champion (?). Let's face it, Kevin Owens is on his way to becoming one of the biggest heels in the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. Owens is still very young in the wrestling business and will become the WWE Heavyweight Champion at one point in the near future.

As has probably been pointed out already, Owens is in the business of winning; it's just what he does. His relative short WWE career has shown me that he will do what it takes to come out on top and I think that drive and know-how will be enough to go over Goldust.

Dustin Rhodes is a very talented guy, who's done really well throughout his career in some pretty bizarre roles and with some weird gimmicks. In the hands of someone else, the Goldust character would have flopped massively, but here we are 20 years later and Goldie is still around.

I know Goldust was a big deal in the mid 90s and was flirting with main event status, but I'm still going with Kevin Owens here. He's MUCH better in the ring than Goldust, capable of performaing moves that you'd never expect from a man of his size and build. He's believable, tough, solid on the mic and looks set for a fine career in WWE. Ever since I have him as Kevin Steen in CZW performing moonsaults, I've been an Owens fan.

I don't see a way for Goldust to survive against KO, pop up powerbomb for the win.

Goldust was way over in mid-90s and was an IC champion, when the title actually meant something. Owens is IC champion now. The title doesn't mean much, but Owens is doing a fantastic job with it.

However the fact that Goldust turnt into a comedy act the following years seals the result for me: Kevin Owens. I think that Owens is a future multiple time World Champion. He's that good.

Present-day IC champ vs Past-IC champ. Winner: Owens.

Glad to see Goldust is only losing by 4, but I wish he'd have the lead he deserves. The biggest argument I'm seeing for Owens is what he will do in the future, not what he has done in the past. What about how he's been booked for the last 6 months, makes anyone think they'll change that and give him a bunch of world title runs?

He's going into his first WrestleMania, and gets stuck in a 7-man ladder match with ZACK FUCKING RYDER. Everything he's done since beating Cena once has worked to keep him solidly in the mid-card against the least interesting opponents (Zayn withholding).

This tournament is based on what they have done in the past, and I don't think you can take the last year for Owens, and compare it to the entirety of the career of Dustin Rhodes.

Owens beat Cena. He also lost all the rematches. At present, Owens has not achieved the career of Goldust. He has not main evented PPVs. He has not made an incredibly outrageous gimmick last for 20 years and he has not had consistent character development in a manner that no other competitor has. I'm not going to say that Owens isn't destined for big things, but there's nothing at present to say he is categorically better than Dustin Rhodes. At this point in time, Goldust has had the better career.

I definitely take Kevin Owens on this one because I feel like he already has done more in his WWE career than Goldust has over his. Kevin Owens is a future WWE World Heavyweight Champion, where Goldust for the better part of his career was a stepping stone for guys or was non existant.

I definitely take Kevin Owens on this one because I feel like he already has done more in his WWE career than Goldust has over his. Kevin Owens is a future WWE World Heavyweight Champion, where Goldust for the better part of his career was a stepping stone for guys or was non existant.

Again...Future does not matter here! It's about what they have done. And Goldust has multiple title reigns in WWE already, whereas Owens has...1. Add in his time in WCW/NWA and then TNA, and I'd say Dustin Rhodes has a much better body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back