Austin Region, Chicago Subregion, First Round: (14) British Bulldog vs. (19)Lex Luger

Who Wins This Match?

• British Bulldog

• Lex Luger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Chicago Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois.

14-08212012-503403dbdc640.jpeg

bulldog.jpg

#14. British Bulldog

Vs.

bc75d0b4ef58690380c5995f5a00d4ee.jpg

#19. Lex Luger

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

It's pretty close, but I have to believe that Luger mattered more in the end. He's actually won World Titles. Bulldog probably should have as well but alas, he ended up just being a background character in Bret Hart's story.

Luger beat Hogan for the big gold belt on Nitro at the peak of the nWo.

Bulldog had some significant matches with the Harts, but he never reached the heights that Luger (an underachiever himself) reached.

I vote Luger. Easily.

The seeding for this match seems a bit backwards to me. I like Bulldog but he didn't have quite the career Luger had. Luger was multiple time World Champ, was a top guy more than once, and was the 1st guy to beat Hogan for the title when he became leader of the nWo, that by itself trumps anything Bulldog ever did.

Luger wins this one.

Lex Luger has been in more high profile matches. He has won multiple world titles as both face and heel. IMO he was much more popular than The British Bulldog when comparing careers. Luger with The Torture Rack for the win.

I think Bulldog would win it as, although Luger won more world titles, Bulldog was one of the top names in the early 90s that helped keep WWE afloat when the US market went to shite and Europe seemed to pick up the slack. I don't think Lex Luger came anywhere close to drawing 80,000 fans to any event ever (although there was probably room for them on the Lex Express) where as Bulldog was the draw for Summerslam 92 in Wembley which, until a Wrestlemania 17, was, as far as I'm aware, the legit largest crowd WWE had ever had at a Pay-Per-View event.

Plus it doesn't help that Lex had, to me, the shittest WCW toy in history back in 1991, I was so pissed off when I got lumbered with it.

Bulldog was really big and hand some really good feuds back in the day but Luger actually did more with his career. He beat Hogan, as everyone else also mentioned. I vote Luger.

I'll freely admit my 80s/early to mid 90s wrestling knowledge isn't great so I'm looking at this from someone who went back and looked this stuff up

Here's the thing though. Luger may have beaten Hogan at the height of the NWO but does anyone really care. I say that as someone who didn't watch WCW. When people talk about the NWO and WCW it's Sting. Yeah Luger may have beaten Hogan for the title first but it's not nearly as noteworthy as it's made out.

Bulldog on the other hand. Yeah never won the title but I'd argue his one Intercontinental title win is more memorable than Luger's world title reigns. He faced Bret Hart in the main event no less. Sure you can say it was taking place in the UK hence why but the fact of the matter is he was big enough to legitimately main event then and it wasn't a token match. Also the fact everyone and their mother says *insert British wrestler here* can be the next British Bulldog speaks volumes about his popularity.

Bulldog's time as Intercontinental Champion was in a time where the title meant almost as much as the world title. His main event match against Bret was great. Yes, Luger beat Hogan for the big one during nWo's peak in WCW, but Davey Boy was a bigger draw, so he has my vote.

Bulldog suffers because he's viewed as an also ran to Bret Hart in the early 90's. Except he wasn't. He beat Bret in the 90's multiple times. Luger beat Yokozuna by countout. Davey made Bret tap.

Bulldog would win a match against Luger and would have done if Luger hadn't jumped ship to WCW.

Reactions: NSL
This is one of the first round match ups that really gave me pause. Ultimately I decided that Luger edges Bulldog out because I see him as having a more accomplished overall career.

There is no question Bulldog was a better tag wrestler. Many-if not most-of his career highlights came as a tag wrestler. And he was an excellent one who was a part of one of wrestling's all-time great tag teams. You have to recognize that Luger did have some tag success as well, even winning a world title with Sting from another historically great tag team, Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. The team also won the Crockett Cup. Bulldog does have the decided advantage as a tag wrestler, but....this isn't a tag match.

There is merit in the point that Bulldog won the IC title at a time when it really meant something. The match and the crowd were fantastic and it was a better match than Luger has ever had in his career. The ensuing reign, however, was short and unremarkable. Luger won the US title at a time when it meant something and went on to win it several more times. Luger has the most total days as champion of what was once a very prestigious belt.

When comparing two close wrestlers, you have to take world titles into consideration. This is where Smith is really lacking, with Luger being a two-time World champ. This certainly isn't the only factor when making comparisons, but it is a big one.

Both wrestlers had some success wrestling in territories, but here I think Luger beats him out again. While Bulldog had multiple tag title reigns and two North American titles in Canada, Luger won four Florida championships to go along with their TV title and was the WWA Heavyweight champion.

I think Smith was a better performer, but Luger was much more consistent and accomplished. When I weigh Smith's two world tag titles, one short IC reign, and a couple European Championships, it doesn't come close to measuring up. Luger came into the NWA with a lot of hype, was a good member of wrestling's greatest faction, won a world tag title, two TV titles, holds the record for most consecutive and most total days as US champ, won a Crockett Cup, was a Royal Rumble co-winner, and was a two-time World Heavyweight Champion.

The British Bulldog pulled off the white guy with beaded cornrows look. He wore that hairstyle so well that people don't even think twice about what a bizarre look it is for an Englishman, let alone an Englishman of his stature.

That may seem like a weird reason to endorse Davey Boy here, but it's metaphorical. The British Bulldog was interesting, unique, and one of the great stars of his time. Bulldog was a huge draw during his prime, while Luger was a prop for Hogan and the NWO. Sure, he has one of the most 'murican moments in wrestling history, but Davey Boy brought down Wembley Stadium when he pinned Bret Hart for the Intercontinental Championship.

Vote for someone interesting. Vote for Davey Boy Smith.

People may say that Davey Boy has the disadvantage of being viewed as an also ran to Bret and the other Harts, however, it's not a stretch to say that mostly, he was just an also ran to the Harts. Everything that the Bulldog did of note in his career went along with either Bret Hart or the Hart Foundation.

Luger may not have been very good, however, he was more successful and accomplished more than Davey Boy did. Luger beat bigger names and won a few World Titles to boot.

Vote Luger.

This is a tough match. Both guys are career underachievers and will always be remembered as second fiddle to bigger stars.

Luger did manage to win a world title or two in his time, but Bulldog was, for my money, more entertaining. Luger bodyslammed Yokozuna on a battleship and won a Royal Rumble. Bulldog brought Wembley to its feet and gave Stephanie McMahon amnesia. Pretty tough to separate the accomplishments.

I'll go with Bulldog because Luger may or may have not have played a part in the death of Miss Elizabeth.

I never cared for Luger. I get he was somewhat a big deal back in the day, but when I think of him I ultimately think of the word "Letdown". In a sense he was shoved down peoples throats with the Lex Express stuff in a sort of way similar to how Reigns is now. My friends and I just did not care no matter how much Vince tried to convince us otherwise. When he showed up on Nitro I was confused and surprised like many others, but I wasnt exactly excited. From then on he really was just "Sting's buddy" in my eyes and could give two shits about anything he was doing.

Bulldog on the other hand was someone I enjoyed. His tag stuff with Dynamite & his IC reign were things I remember as being damn good. Granted his later years were kind of meh & he essentially took root in the Hitman's shadow, but for me, that big match at Wembley is bigger than anything Luger did. Have to give him the edge here.

Bulldog suffers because he's viewed as an also ran to Bret Hart in the early 90's. Except he wasn't. He beat Bret in the 90's multiple times.

Multiple times, or one time? You'll have to remind me.

Luger beat Yokozuna by countout. Davey made Bret tap.

I don't recall Davey making Bret tap, but please feel free to remind me when that happened. I do remember Luger beating Hogan by submission which is more impressive than making Bret tap, which I don't think happened.

Bulldog would win a match against Luger and would have done if Luger hadn't jumped ship to WCW.

100% agree. If they had a match after their team broke up in 1995 Bulldog absolutely would have won. Luger was pretty worthless in the WWF after WrestleMania X. However, when we take Luger's entire career into account I think he's better than Davey. I think Davey is a tad overrated on this forum. I loved the guy but a lot of people think he should have been world champion and I never saw that in him. Luger was a world champion. And even though Davey won the IC title in one of WWF's all time classic matches that reign only lasted about two months. Luger had multiple US title reigns that lasted longer. A lot of people consider Luger an underachiever but expectations on him were so high that even if he did underachieve he still had a successful career and an overall better one than Bulldog.

All I can remember is how the crowd erupted when British Bulldog Pinned Bret Hart at Summerslam '92, which made me realize how criminally underrated British Bulldog was. He was never given huge pushes to the moon or anything. Although winning the IC title infront of the greatest British crowd, he soon lost it to Shawn Michaels. Like someone above mentioned Luger had enjoyed a couple of World Title Reigns which Davey Boy hadn't which makes me choose British Bulldog over Luger.

Lex Luger matches typically bore me to tears, but sometimes he can be saved by someone with some skills, and he can get a passable main event out of him. But, in this power vs power match, I'd probably fall asleep and wake up just in time to see who had one.

That is not to say Bulldog is without charisma. I quite enjoyed watching him actually. I know his personal accomplishments don't necessarily compare to Luger's, but he was far more entertaining, and, I think, far better in the ring. If Luger was even the slightest bit interesting, I'd probably vote for him, but it has to be Bulldog in this one.

Vote for someone interesting. Vote for Davey Boy Smith.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Lex Luger matches typically bore me to tears, but sometimes he can be saved by someone with some skills, and he can get a passable main event out of him. But, in this power vs power match, I'd probably fall asleep and wake up just in time to see who had one.

That is not to say Bulldog is without charisma. I quite enjoyed watching him actually. I know his personal accomplishments don't necessarily compare to Luger's, but he was far more entertaining, and, I think, far better in the ring. If Luger was even the slightest bit interesting, I'd probably vote for him, but it has to be Bulldog in this one.

This man knows what he's talking about.

This. I really wanted to like Luger. Good look, powerful. Every time though his matches were just so boring and when the matches were good he was being carried. He may have beaten Hogan but Davey boy had some impressive wins as well. In terms of in ring skills I rate Bulldog higher and think he has enough power to counter Luger himself. It was a tough match but I went with Bulldog in the end.

He may have beaten Hogan but Davey boy had some impressive wins as well.

Even in this instance, I'd say that Luger beat Hogan when he (Hogan) was starting the decline in his career. Bulldog beat Bret when he was just getting to the peak of his career.

There were 2 different times when Luger arrived somewhere and it was supposed to be a "holy shit" moment, and I never once felt that way. Even as a kid, it was "Ugh...again?".

My reasoning for voting for bulldog is purely from who I prefer in the ring there is nothing more to it. I enjoy watching bulldog more than Luger, with the exception of Lugers bizarre NWA Cyberspace promo.

My reasoning for voting for bulldog is purely from who I prefer in the ring there is nothing more to it. I enjoy watching bulldog more than Luger, with the exception of Lugers bizarre NWA Cyberspace promo.

I think this is going to be a majority of the arguments against Luger lol He was just so god damned vanilla, and nothing he ever did, except for that one moment on the carrier, ever caught my attention. I was at WrestleMania X, where he main evented, and even then I felt like it was the time where I should have been off getting nachos or taking a piss.

Even in this instance, I'd say that Luger beat Hogan when he (Hogan) was starting the decline in his career. Bulldog beat Bret when he was just getting to the peak of his career.

There were 2 different times when Luger arrived somewhere and it was supposed to be a "holy shit" moment, and I never once felt that way. Even as a kid, it was "Ugh...again?".

Exactly how I feel. I think the over-pushing of Luger had a lot to do with why I disliked him so much. They tried so desperately to make him the next Hogan, but he was just so damn boring that nothing he did ever really took hold.

Could Luger beat Bulldog in this match? Definitely. Should Luger beat Bulldog in this match? Probably not.

At least Davey Boy had some charisma.

Davey Boy Smith a.k.a The Birtish Bulldog is a local hero where I'm from, being born just down the road in Golborne, UK. Yeah, he gets announced as being from Manchester, but that's just because no-one has a clue where Golborne is.

So yeah, I'm voting for Davey. Incredibly skilled in ring, a great singles and tag-team wrestler and his match against Bret at SummerSlam at Wembley outdoes any Luger match. Apparently, Luger was also a bit of a ******** so he can fuck off.

Plus, my friend from work had sex with Bulldog's sister (a large, rough looking woman), who works as a shelf stacker in Golborne Asda/Lidl (I'm not sure which) if anyone wants to go and say hello.

I think this one has to be Luger. Yes the British Bulldog was very over at one point, but Luger was a main player for nearly his entire career. He was the man that was supposed to lead two companies into the future, and although the fact that he was ultimately superseded by Sting and Bret may hurt him, it's telling that he was the guy for years. He was one of the better US champions back when that title actually meant something, and should have defeated Flair to take the NWA belt at GAB.

He came to the WWE and was groomed right away to take over from Hulk Hogan and contrary to popular belief, he was very over as well, just not as over as Hulk Hogan. He had a nice little run as the face of the company before making headlines as the first huge name to jump from WWE to WCW. And again, he played a huge part for WCW than as well. Shit, do people forget that Luger was probably the hottest guy in wrestling (other than Austin) in between the end of Sting's crazy run and the beginning of Goldberg's?

Luger's a 2 time World Champion and a 5 time US champion. His strength is damn near equal to Bulldog's which was Davey's biggest... uh strength.

Luger takes this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back