Who Wins This Match?

• Rick Rude

• Sheamus

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Chicago Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois.

14-08212012-503403dbdc640.jpeg

tumblr_mpf86zMZyu1qfn4z4o1_500.jpg

#11. Rick Rude

Vs.

latest

#22. Sheamus

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Sheamus wins this, and it isn't even close.

Rude might just be one of the most overrated wrestlers in the history of the business. I'd contend that throughout his career, he was never a top three guy on the roster, yet alone the top guy. He was a mid-card heel that had a poor record against the top guys, his victories against Warrior (due to interference), Flair (again, due to interference) and an injured Sting aside. He led the Dangerous Alliance, which ironically went onto further other people's careers instead of his own. He held the US Title for 419 days, defending it a grand total of 4 times (3 if you discount his draw against Dustin Rhodes).

My point being, Rude's accomplishments and popularity are often overblown by his fans. And I don't dislike Rude as a person or as a talent, I just think his popularity is overblown, and the seeds in this match-up should honestly be reversed. Sheamus has a larger and more prestigious array of accomplishments, has definitely been a top 3 wrestler in his era, has a stronger record against top stars and has been higher up the totem pole than Rude for a longer amount of time.

I can't see any angle where Rude can theoretically win a decisive match against someone like Sheamus.

Sheamus is a walk. Multiple time world champion, beating Cena (x2), Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Orton, and Edge.

Rude didn't accomplish nearly as much. While he is certainly a snazzier dresser, that's about it.

So we're going to just ignore that Rude had a very dominant run in WCW where he beat many top guys like Sting and Ric Flair, had 3 World title runs (which was essentially the NWA championship with a different name) and a lengthy US title run, was the top man of the Dangerous Alliance stable not to mention he was a top heel in a time where you actually had to be OVER to have such a spot? REALLY?

Am I really supposed to be impressed by Sheamus' accomplishments because the truth of the matter is they aren't that impressive. I'm glad he often win gimmick matches against big name talent through bullshit means but when has he ever beaten a big name wrestler in a standard 1 on 1 match with no advantage? I can't think of 1 time he's actually done that but I can think of plenty times Rude did it. His career is not that impressive and everything the guy has ever accomplished was utterly forgettable, at least Rude actually did some noteworthy stuff and was a top guy because he deserved to be a top guy. From a literal standpoint I can't think of 1 area Sheamus is better in, not 1 and because of that I can't in good conscious vote for the guy.

Don't vote for the rooster because he became friends with the right people, vote for the guy who is just flat out better. Vote Rude.

Sheamus wins. He beat Cena. He beat Daniel Bryan. He beat Orton. Multiple time WWE champion, including winning it after being only on the Raw for what 2 months? Rude was part of DX but it was better without him. Vote Sheamus.

Fuck Sheamus, Rick Rude gets a much higher respect in my eyes than Sheamus. Sheamus has his world title claims after beating John Cena and cashing in plus having a terrible match with DB for a second tier World Title. But Rick Rude has fought much bigger competition and has world title reigns of his own in WCW. Rude is ten times more watchable than Sheamus, is far superior on the mic and had a bigger impact on wrestling than Sheamus has had so far.

Rick Rude with a Rude Awakening on Sheamus for the win.

So we're going to just ignore that Rude had a very dominant run in WCW where he beat many top guys like Sting and Ric Flair, had 3 World title runs (which was essentially the NWA championship with a different name) and a lengthy US title run, was the top man of the Dangerous Alliance stable not to mention he was a top heel in a time where you actually had to be OVER to have such a spot? REALLY?

He had a decent run in WCW, but very dominant is over-stating it to a large degree. The NWA title was long past the days of its golden age with Thesz and the like, and the NWA had separated from WCW by the time Rude won it for the first time. The WCWIWHC lasted for less than a year and always played second-fiddle to the core WCW championship during its time. I've addressed the other points in my previous post.

Am I really supposed to be impressed by Sheamus' accomplishments because the truth of the matter is they aren't that impressive. I'm glad he often win gimmick matches against big name talent through bullshit means but when has he ever beaten a big name wrestler in a standard 1 on 1 match with no advantage? I can't think of 1 time he's actually done that but I can think of plenty times Rude did it. His career is not that impressive and everything the guy has ever accomplished was utterly forgettable, at least Rude actually did some noteworthy stuff and was a top guy because he deserved to be a top guy. From a literal standpoint I can't think of 1 area Sheamus is better in, not 1 and because of that I can't in good conscious vote for the guy.

The funny thing is, I can apply the exact same logic to Rick Rude in terms of only defeating top stars in standard 1 on 1 matches with a significant advantage. The difference between them is that Sheamus has had clean 1v1 victories against people like Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio (who is honestly underrated, and I'm surprised he didn't make the tournament, but I digress).

And Sheamus has accomplished a lot, he's won more world championships than Rude in a shorter time-span, he's won the Royal Rumble, and has reached the final 4 without failure since, and has a much better record against top guys than Rude. 2 out of 3 of Rude's best victories (which again, were not clean) have resulted in him losing the feud to Warrior and Sting respectively.

Don't vote for the rooster because he became friends with the right people, vote for the guy who is just flat out better. Vote Rude.

It seems as if you're voting with your heart, not your head, and that's fine. But don't try to create a rational argument for Rude if you're voting against Sheamus because you dislike him.

He had a decent run in WCW, but very dominant is over-stating it to a large degree. The NWA title was long past the days of its golden age with Thesz and the like, and the NWA had separated from WCW by the time Rude won it for the first time. The WCWIWHC lasted for less than a year and always played second-fiddle to the core WCW championship during its time. I've addressed the other points in my previous post.

I'd call a 3 time heavyweight champion and a US title reign lasting over 400 days a little bit better than decent. Even though the NWA was past its prime he was still world champ and WCW treated the title damn near on the same level as the WCW World champ so don't act like it was some second fiddle title, they sure as shit treated it better than the WWE treated the World Heavyweight title that's for sure. Rude was a legit top guy in WCW, no question about it and was at worst the #2 heel behind Vader most of his run as well. Say what you will but Sheamus was never at that level in his career, no matter how hard WWE tried to put him there.

The funny thing is, I can apply the exact same logic to Rick Rude in terms of only defeating top stars in standard 1 on 1 matches with a significant advantage. The difference between them is that Sheamus has had clean 1v1 victories against people like Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio (who is honestly underrated, and I'm surprised he didn't make the tournament, but I digress).

Really because there were plenty of big matches Rude won clean during his WCW run, he didn't always have the advantage and this is the same guy who beat Sting in the same match that ended his career, that doesn't sound like much of an advantage to me. Don't put guys like Del Rio and Orton on the same level as guys like Ric Flair and Sting because they aren't even close.

And Sheamus has accomplished a lot, he's won more world championships than Rude in a shorter time-span, he's won the Royal Rumble, and has reached the final 4 without failure since, and has a much better record against top guys than Rude. 2 out of 3 of Rude's best victories (which again, were not clean) have resulted in him losing the feud to Warrior and Sting respectively.

Rude ended his career with a victory over Sting and the match was clean so nice try there. The only top guy Sheamus beat that's a bigger star than anyone Rude's beaten is Cena, 1 was an absolute fluke, 1 was because of a ton of interference, both were gimmick matches, this one ain't. I get Sheamus has been treated well in WWE but that has very little to do with his skill and actually being deserving and it certainly doesn't make him better than Rude. The only way Sheamus is winning this is if Triple H or Vince is booking that match.

It seems as if you're voting with your heart, not your head, and that's fine. But don't try to create a rational argument for Rude if you're voting against Sheamus because you dislike him.

It's true I like Rude better than Sheamus but that doesn't change the fact he's a better option to win this match. Yeah Sheamus has plenty of accomplishments but even with all those accomplishments none of them are noteworthy and all of them were at a time the talent pool really wasn't that great. I'm not going to just vote for a guy that's been pushed incredibly hard yet somehow still struggles to get over, especially over a guy who didn't get half the push Sheamus got yet still had a better career in spite of it. You want to know why a lot of fans think highly of Rude? Because he actually did stuff during his career that is actually WORTH remembering, he wasn't just on top because of his workout buddy or the fact that he's Irish, he actually did some very noteworthy things and even at a time where the wrestling business had some of the greatest wrestlers the world has ever seen Rude's diamond still shined brighter than most.

There are plenty of times I've voted for guys I hated over guys I loved but that's because the guys I hated were better choices. You can shell Sheamus' accomplishments until the cows come home and it still doesn't make him a better option, a better choice, a better wrestler.

I'd call a 3 time heavyweight champion and a US title reign lasting over 400 days a little bit better than decent.

1 of those reigns was instantly reversed the moment he won it, and the other lasted less than a month. During his first reign, his only pinfall victory was over Ray Traylor.

And of course, his US title reign where he successfully defended his title 4 times, where Steamboat got his win back at Beach Blast '92 in a non-title match and Dustin Rhodes tied him at Beach Blast '93.

Even though the NWA was past its prime he was still world champ and WCW treated the title damn near on the same level as the WCW World champ so don't act like it was some second fiddle title, they sure as shit treated it better than the WWE treated the World Heavyweight title that's for sure.

Perhaps during the time that Sheamus won the WHC, sure, but the two times the NWA title headlined a show (once during its unification), Rude was not involved. Yet the WHC headlined just as many PPV's in the same period as late as 2010. I'm not insinuating that when Sheamus won the WHC, it was relevant, but Rude only won the NWA title when it was slightly more relevant than the WHC in 2012, which had been around for 10 years at that point; the WCWIWHC lasted less than 1. Both were the #2 titles at the time, but I would agree that the NWA title at the time was more prestigious.

And I'd argue 2012 Alberto Del Rio is a bigger deal than 1993 Ray Traylor to defend your title against.

Rude was a legit top guy in WCW, no question about it and was at worst the #2 heel behind Vader most of his run as well. Say what you will but Sheamus was never at that level in his career, no matter how hard WWE tried to put him there.

Rude was always over-shadowed by Sting and Vader throughout his career in WCW. During his early tenure, Luger was in the top spot, before Ron Simmons was transitioned into the spot in '92. Shortly after Simmons's time in the limelight, Flair came back and Cactus Jack rose to prominence. So I wouldn't suggest that Rude reached the top #3 position of the company for any extended period. At best, he was #4.

Sheamus has, at his best, been the #2 face in WWE behind Cena, which given the competition he had from Punk and Orton, says a lot. Who, other than Vader, did Rude have to compete with early into his run?

Really because there were plenty of big matches Rude won clean during his WCW run, he didn't always have the advantage and this is the same guy who beat Sting in the same match that ended his career, that doesn't sound like much of an advantage to me. Don't put guys like Del Rio and Orton on the same level as guys like Ric Flair and Sting because they aren't even close.

But none of those matches were won cleanly.

And yes, I know Rude was a heel, and cheating was a large part of his gimmick, but if we're going down that route, we may as well count the fact that Sheamus beat Cena non-clean twice and won the WWE title at Fatal 4-Way against Cena, Edge and Orton non-clean. You can make the exact same arguments for Sheamus as you can Rude, the difference being that Sheamus could actually beat Orton and Del Rio without cheating. Rude beat an injured Sting and cheated to beat Flair.

Rude ended his career with a victory over Sting and the match was clean so nice try there.

No it wasn't.

The only top guy Sheamus beat that's a bigger star than anyone Rude's beaten is Cena, 1 was an absolute fluke, 1 was because of a ton of interference, both were gimmick matches, this one ain't. I get Sheamus has been treated well in WWE but that has very little to do with his skill and actually being deserving and it certainly doesn't make him better than Rude. The only way Sheamus is winning this is if Triple H or Vince is booking that match.

Sheamus has put on several great matches, is strong on the microphone and has a natural charisma to him. If this was a debate over who was the better in-ring worker, than yes, I'd say Rude was more talented. But it isn't. The fact is, whether you want to call foul play or not, Sheamus has achieved more than Rude ever had. And a booker, in a decisive match between a heel who lost virtually everyone of his feuds in the end, and a upper-midcard face, would book the face to go over.

It's true I like Rude better than Sheamus but that doesn't change the fact he's a better option to win this match. Yeah Sheamus has plenty of accomplishments but even with all those accomplishments none of them are noteworthy and all of them were at a time the talent pool really wasn't that great. I'm not going to just vote for a guy that's been pushed incredibly hard yet somehow still struggles to get over, especially over a guy who didn't get half the push Sheamus got yet still had a better career in spite of it. You want to know why a lot of fans think highly of Rude? Because he actually did stuff during his career that is actually WORTH remembering, he wasn't just on top because of his workout buddy or the fact that he's Irish, he actually did some very noteworthy things and even at a time where the wrestling business had some of the greatest wrestlers the world has ever seen Rude's diamond still shined brighter than most.

Rude absolutely was given the opportunity to succeed, with several flirts with the main event and leading a major heel stable, yet came out worse each time. And just because Sheamus is Triple H's workout buddy doesn't change the fact that Sheamus would be booked over Rude and has accomplished more than Rude in his career.

And the talent pool of early 10's WWE was equal to, if not wider than the talent pool of early 90's WCW.

1 of those reigns was instantly reversed the moment he won it, and the other lasted less than a month. During his first reign, his only pinfall victory was over Ray Traylor.

So? He still won it, he still won it over top guys. You can't ignore victories over WCW top guys because it's inconvenient to do so.

And of course, his US title reign where he successfully defended his title 4 times, where Steamboat got his win back at Beach Blast '92 in a non-title match and Dustin Rhodes tied him at Beach Blast '93.

Yet during that entire time Rude was treated as a big deal. Also, he defended the title more than 4 times. You do realize this was in an era where most title defenses weren't televised and often not acknowledged right?

Perhaps during the time that Sheamus won the WHC, sure, but the two times the NWA title headlined a show (once during its unification), Rude was not involved. Yet the WHC headlined just as many PPV's in the same period as late as 2010. I'm not insinuating that when Sheamus won the WHC, it was relevant, but Rude only won the NWA title when it was slightly more relevant than the WHC in 2012, which had been around for 10 years at that point; the WCWIWHC lasted less than 1. Both were the #2 titles at the time, but I would agree that the NWA title at the time was more prestigious.

To be fair the WHC came in noting all the greats that wore the title before HHH was even given it and it was established enough that for the 1st year and a half it headlined damn near every PPV including Wrestlemania 20. It was everything after that made the WHC a mostly forgotten deal. During Sheamus' face run he was in mid card matches the entire time and outside a few times on Smackdown it was NEVER the main event. The point I'm trying to make is even though the WCW World title was the #1 title (which it was) they still treated the International heavyweight title like it was a big deal and that was pretty much the entire time, you can't say the same for Sheamus' 2012 title run.

Rude was always over-shadowed by Sting and Vader throughout his career in WCW. During his early tenure, Luger was in the top spot, before Ron Simmons was transitioned into the spot in '92. Shortly after Simmons's time in the limelight, Flair came back and Cactus Jack rose to prominence. So I wouldn't suggest that Rude reached the top #3 position of the company for any extended period. At best, he was #4.

I said he was the #2 heel which he was, Sting and Flair were both faces at the time. To be fair #2 heel (both in WWF and WCW) is better than Sheamus has ever done.

Sheamus has, at his best, been the #2 face in WWE behind Cena, which given the competition he had from Punk and Orton, says a lot. Who, other than Vader, did Rude have to compete with early into his run?

#2 face? I guess that's why Cena and Punk were always in higher profile matches, got cheered alot more and sold more merchandise, because Sheamus was #2. He wasn't even above Ryback in popularity during his face run.

But none of those matches were won cleanly.

And yes, I know Rude was a heel, and cheating was a large part of his gimmick, but if we're going down that route, we may as well count the fact that Sheamus beat Cena non-clean twice and won the WWE title at Fatal 4-Way against Cena, Edge and Orton non-clean. You can make the exact same arguments for Sheamus as you can Rude, the difference being that Sheamus could actually beat Orton and Del Rio without cheating. Rude beat an injured Sting and cheated to beat Flair.

So? Rude is a better heel and could easily cheat his way to victory here. Why can't he.

No it wasn't.

Yes it was. Rude last won the title beating Sting in Japan, during the match Sting did a dive over the top rope and Rude landed on the step, injuring his back and ending his career as a wrestler. The title was later vacated, which Sting won and then was unified in a double title match which Flair won. So yeah, Rudes last full time match (I think he had one in 97 ECW but not 100%) was a world title match where he beat Sting for it.

Sheamus has put on several great matches, is strong on the microphone and has a natural charisma to him. If this was a debate over who was the better in-ring worker, than yes, I'd say Rude was more talented. But it isn't. The fact is, whether you want to call foul play or not, Sheamus has achieved more than Rude ever had. And a booker, in a decisive match between a heel who lost virtually everyone of his feuds in the end, and a upper-midcard face, would book the face to go over.

Accomplished more in a fixed sport? Yes, Sheamus is more accomplished (then again who isn't in the modern era) but he has never really gotten over as a heel or face. Even with all those accomplishments he was never more over than Rude and he was never a bigger deal than Rude. Rude was definitely a better wrestler and could do everything Sheamus could and alot better I might add.

Rude absolutely was given the opportunity to succeed, with several flirts with the main event and leading a major heel stable, yet came out worse each time. And just because Sheamus is Triple H's workout buddy doesn't change the fact that Sheamus would be booked over Rude and has accomplished more than Rude in his career.

And the talent pool of early 10's WWE was equal to, if not wider than the talent pool of early 90's WCW.

Rude did succeed though, every single time he was given a chance. The only reason he never feuded with Hogan is because Hogan was legitimately afraid of Rude and during Hogan 2nd run Rude was at worst the #3 heel in WWF, at best #2 (which is better than Sheamus no question). He was at worst the #3 heel pretty much his entire WCW run and he was always over win or lose.

What does Sheamus do whenever he loses the title? He disappears into the abyss for a year or 2, doing absolute jack the entire time and you know why? Because he's not that good. Sheamus always falls back into nothing every single time he loses the title and whenever he does have it he's never done anything worth even mentioning, Rude did more to get noticed in his first 6 months in WWF with his Roberts feud, that alone trumps anything Sheamus has done.

Accomplishments like title runs in this day and age usually mean very little and they meant almost nothing every single time in Sheamus' case. At least with Rude he did shit worth remembering.

Sorry dude, vote however you want but Sheamus doesn't deserve this win. He's one of the most forgettable Champs ever and even with all his accomplishments there isn't a single one worth remembering.

Are the WWF and NWA/WCW all that counts here? Do Rude's three NWA Southern Heavyweight Championships, NWA American Championship, and WCCW Heavyweight Championship carry no weight?

So? He still won it, he still won it over top guys. You can't ignore victories over WCW top guys because it's inconvenient to do so.

You also can't place his last two title reigns on the same echelon as his initial run because it's convenient to do so. At least with Sheamus, besides his last reign with the WWE Championship, his reigns were of a consistent length, and as such, it's fair to group them together.

Yet during that entire time Rude was treated as a big deal. Also, he defended the title more than 4 times. You do realize this was in an era where most title defenses weren't televised and often not acknowledged right?

Yes, I do, but factoring house shows and un-televised events into the equation makes things very messy for both parties since they aren't decisive matches and often can have drastically different results to television matches. I'm not using them to base my judgement for either party, Sheamus or Rude.

To be fair the WHC came in noting all the greats that wore the title before HHH was even given it and it was established enough that for the 1st year and a half it headlined damn near every PPV including Wrestlemania 20. It was everything after that made the WHC a mostly forgotten deal. During Sheamus' face run he was in mid card matches the entire time and outside a few times on Smackdown it was NEVER the main event. The point I'm trying to make is even though the WCW World title was the #1 title (which it was) they still treated the International heavyweight title like it was a big deal and that was pretty much the entire time, you can't say the same for Sheamus' 2012 title run.

As I've said, I concede that the NWA title at the time was a bigger deal than the 2012 WHC. But the NWA title was DOA the moment the NWA split from WCW, whereas it took 8 years for the WHC to reach the same point the NWA title was on after the split.

And just because the title had degraded in value doesn't necessarily mean the talent contesting for it had. John Cena was the final official WHC champion, and it helped elevate stars to the next tier like Daniel Bryan (as much as people complain about 18 seconds, and whilst I agree people were cheated out of a good match, this ended up helping Bryan's career more than hurting it). It simply wasn't being accentuated as a primary draw, something that the WCW's NWA title couldn't claim either unless Sting was attached.

I said he was the #2 heel which he was, Sting and Flair were both faces at the time. To be fair #2 heel (both in WWF and WCW) is better than Sheamus has ever done.

Again, other than prime Vader, who was there to give him competition in the early days of his run as a heel? Sheamus had prime Cena, prime Punk and prime Orton to contest with.

#2 face? I guess that's why Cena and Punk were always in higher profile matches, got cheered alot more and sold more merchandise, because Sheamus was #2. He wasn't even above Ryback in popularity during his face run.

At the best of times, I would say so. Punk turned heel before Summerslam, and I don't think Ryback ever reached Sheamus's level of popularity.

So? Rude is a better heel and could easily cheat his way to victory here. Why can't he.

Not all of Sheamus's biggest wins involved interference, flukes or heel tactics. Rude has not only won his big matches non-clean, but has lost several matches in an attempt to win matches non-clean.

Yes it was. Rude last won the title beating Sting in Japan, during the match Sting did a dive over the top rope and Rude landed on the step, injuring his back and ending his career as a wrestler. The title was later vacated, which Sting won and then was unified in a double title match which Flair won. So yeah, Rudes last full time match (I think he had one in 97 ECW but not 100%) was a world title match where he beat Sting for it.

Rude hit Sting with the title, pinned Sting, only to have the decision reversed. At best, it's a non-clean win for Rude, at worst, it's a loss. Sting refused the title, so it was vacated.

And yeah, he had a 6 man tag match in '97 ECW, but I won't count that for the sake of your argument.

Accomplished more in a fixed sport? Yes, Sheamus is more accomplished (then again who isn't in the modern era) but he has never really gotten over as a heel or face. Even with all those accomplishments he was never more over than Rude and he was never a bigger deal than Rude. Rude was definitely a better wrestler and could do everything Sheamus could and alot better I might add.

But that's the thing, wrestling is a fixed sport. From a kayfabe perspective, Sheamus would be put over Rude in a rubber match between the two. And I've explained why Sheamus would be put over Rude from a booking perspective; it makes more sense.

And I do think you're underestimating Sheamus; sure he gets a degree of flak from the IWC, but he was very popular amongst the casual fans throughout his face run. He can put on good matches, and is comfortable using the mic, which is more than can be said for a lot of other guys.

Rude did succeed though, every single time he was given a chance. The only reason he never feuded with Hogan is because Hogan was legitimately afraid of Rude and during Hogan 2nd run Rude was at worst the #3 heel in WWF, at best #2 (which is better than Sheamus no question). He was at worst the #3 heel pretty much his entire WCW run and he was always over win or lose.

Not saying that Rude wasn't over, but again, you're basing the reaction of the IWC towards Sheamus as the entire perspective. He was very popular amongst casual fans and got good reactions consistently.

What does Sheamus do whenever he loses the title? He disappears into the abyss for a year or 2, doing absolute jack the entire time and you know why? Because he's not that good. Sheamus always falls back into nothing every single time he loses the title and whenever he does have it he's never done anything worth even mentioning, Rude did more to get noticed in his first 6 months in WWF with his Roberts feud, that alone trumps anything Sheamus has done.

Sheamus doesn't "disappear into the abyss", he falls out of the top card, an area of the card that he has had far more success in than Rude. At his very worst, Sheamus has been a successful mid-carder, and to his credit, so has Rude. But Sheamus has had far more success than Rude in the upper echelons.

Accomplishments like title runs in this day and age usually mean very little and they meant almost nothing every single time in Sheamus' case. At least with Rude he did shit worth remembering.

So winning the Royal Rumble in 2012 wasn't as memorable as anything Rude did? Right...

Sorry dude, vote however you want but Sheamus doesn't deserve this win. He's one of the most forgettable Champs ever and even with all his accomplishments there isn't a single one worth remembering.

I respect your opinion, and you've made a good case for Rude. What it boils down to me is that Rude has had very little success at the top of the card, whereas Sheamus has at least had some. Rude's accomplishments look more meaningful on paper than they are in reality.

I'm a bit torn on this one. Rude has always been overrated in my eyes, not nearly the big deal the forum likes to make him out to be, but Sheamus, despite his World Title reigns, has been pretty forgettable.

This is one match where I am going to take my time on and read the arguments. I can easily be swayed on this one.

Yaz nailed it. Forgettable. Years after Sheamus is retired or dead, we wont be speaking much of him. Love or hate how Roode is seen he still goes down as a great heel people still remember.

Clearly Rude will be the heel in this match & quite frankly, Sheamus as a face is pretty worthless. Add in either Heyman or Heenan and you have a combination that will easily take out Sheamus.

I don't see why the fans never cheer or boo for Sheamus. He doesn't look stupid you see. Perhaps he is. But he is a natural heel and he never bores me in the ring. He is strong and had given some great matches which were received poorly due to the awful crowd reactions. Rick Rude is a natural heel magnet I agree, but in-ring wise, Sheamus is better than him. Believe it or not, I would invest my money on the League of Nations just because of Sheamus and Barrett. Sheamus wins this one quite easily.

Sheamus wins this, and it isn't even close.

I understand your arguments for Sheamus, but "isn't even close"? Really? Sheamus is a has-been barely 5-6 years into his career, and Rude is still revered years after his death.

As for showing you a scenario where Rude can win a decisive match over Sheamus...I'm thinking you're forgetting his feud with Warrior. Sure, he cheated, but as long as you don't get caught, you stick with what works. Rude was far better in the ring, and way more interesting outside of it, than Sheamus could ever dream of, and I like the guy.

Are the WWF and NWA/WCW all that counts here? Do Rude's three NWA Southern Heavyweight Championships, NWA American Championship, and WCCW Heavyweight Championship carry no weight?

Everything counts. WWF/E, WCW, ECW, TNA, AWA, Japan, Mexico, Germany, Canada...whatever they've ever done.

Rude over Seamus and wait for it...

it's not even close!

Seriously, some of the arguments for Seamus here really just seem more about arguments against Rude... and some of the points against Rude here just really highlight the usual WZT lack of knowledge about anything prior to the Attitude Era, or how the business even used to work.

In Rude, we're talking about a guy who was a top guy literally everywhere he competed. Not the 'mid-carder' that he's been referred to here. He was champ in Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Intercontinental Champion when that title was at worst the 3rd biggest and most prestigious title in North America. US Champion in WCW when he actually managed to make that title the primary focal point of the company. Remember how last year, fans got so excited about Cena's US title run and how he was elevating the title? Take that, and multiply it by 100 to get an idea.

In 1992, despite the fact that he apparently only defended the title 4 times (?!?!?) while working a couple hundred matches... he was considered by many to be the best in the business. Period. Now whether he actually was or not is of course debatable, but this wasn't just coming from some fanboys. The magazines were talking about how they felt he had become the best. The dirt sheets were talking about it. His peers would talk about it. Informed, knowledgeable people considered this 'mid carder' as he's so affectionately referred to by some in this thread, as the best professional wrestler anyone could find anywhere.

Please, tell me any time in his life that anyone of any note in wrestling circles has considered Sheamus to be the absolute best in professional wrestling? And please do not embarrass yourself by saying when he was WWE Champ, or World Heavyweight Champ, because that's just a prop we're talking about, and it's been quite a long time since it's been considered the symbol of who the best in the business is... if such a time ever existed.

In kayfabe or WZTeze... I remember many arguments in the past about how the Ultimate Warrior should beat this guy and that guy because he never lost, never quit, was just unbeatable. Who beat the unbeatable guy? Rick Rude. Who beat Sheamus? Quite a few people. As of last year, he didn't even have a .500 PPV record (since that's what matters most apparently).

Ravishing Rick Rude was iconic. Sheamus is forgettable. Get it right. Vote Rude.

Lets just make this one fun and simple.

Rude has a moustache that is rivaled by only Magnum P.I. & Ron Swanson. Sheamus looks like he has ginger dingleberries in his beard.

Case closed.

I understand your arguments for Sheamus, but "isn't even close"? Really? Sheamus is a has-been barely 5-6 years into his career, and Rude is still revered years after his death.

Honestly, after researching it heavily, and debating it with deanerandterry, it was closer than I initially expected. I still maintain that Rude has been over-glorified in terms of accomplishments, and he never reached the level Sheamus has achieved on occasion, but I have been over-estimating Sheamus myself, fighting fire with fire if you will. Nonetheless, I believe Sheamus has enough credentials to go over Rude in all of the areas that matter.

I also think it's extremely unfair to lump Sheamus into the forgettable category. Rude's era is one that has achieved nostalgic value, whereas Sheamus's era occurred this decade. Honestly, with the nostalgia goggles removed, I really thought Rude was a one-trick pony during his time as a heel. He was a good heel, but nothing ground-breaking like people seemed to suggest he was. Sheamus wasn't ground-breaking as either a face or heel either, but he still captured the interest of a lot of fans, in an era where people are far more aware of how wrestling is booked and who receives what push. Add to this Rude's tragic death at a young age, and you have someone who is given more credit than is really warranted, especially considering Sheamus's era having a natural disadvantage.

And yeah, Rude has a fucking sexy moustache.

If we limit Rude's career to WCW and WWE, then yes, he really wasn't that impressive and Sheamus (Shame-Us) has more accomplishments and success. We can't limit Rude's career though. As has already been said, everywhere that Rude went he was highly successful. Winning many championships and this was back when titles actually meant something and they weren't hot potatoed from one guy to the next. Not to mention that Rude is absolutely one of the greatest heels of all the times. It's not an exaggeration to say that the women wanted him and the men wanted to be him. He was entertaining and always put on a good show. Which is a hell of a lot more then I can say for Shame-us.

Be smart and learn some history. Vote Rude.

You also can't place his last two title reigns on the same echelon as his initial run because it's convenient to do so. At least with Sheamus, besides his last reign with the WWE Championship, his reigns were of a consistent length, and as such, it's fair to group them together.

The length of the reign doesn't really matter. The Rock did more with his initial reigns (most of them less than a month) at the end of 98- beginning of 99 than Sheamus did in 6 months.

Yes, I do, but factoring house shows and un-televised events into the equation makes things very messy for both parties since they aren't decisive matches and often can have drastically different results to television matches. I'm not using them to base my judgement for either party, Sheamus or Rude.

I'm just saying Rude obviously defended the title a hell of a lot more than 4 times and back when Rude was US champ title defenses were rarely on television so saying he only defended it 4 times is extremely unfair and flat out incorrect.

As I've said, I concede that the NWA title at the time was a bigger deal than the 2012 WHC. But the NWA title was DOA the moment the NWA split from WCW, whereas it took 8 years for the WHC to reach the same point the NWA title was on after the split.

And just because the title had degraded in value doesn't necessarily mean the talent contesting for it had. John Cena was the final official WHC champion, and it helped elevate stars to the next tier like Daniel Bryan (as much as people complain about 18 seconds, and whilst I agree people were cheated out of a good match, this ended up helping Bryan's career more than hurting it). It simply wasn't being accentuated as a primary draw, something that the WCW's NWA title couldn't claim either unless Sting was attached.

I find the value of the title is often dependent on who holds it. When Sheamus held it, the WHC was no question a mid card title. Sheamus wrestled in mid card feuds and wrestled mid card guys. He may have been world champ but he wasn't treated as such.

I think it's very fair to say that Rick Rude in his WCW title reigns was treated a little better than Sheamus was during his run. Rude was treated as a top heel pretty much that entire run. Sure, guys like Vader were over him but he was still treated like a big deal. Sheamus has never been treated like a top guy or a big deal, or at least not from what I've seen.

Again, other than prime Vader, who was there to give him competition in the early days of his run as a heel? Sheamus had prime Cena, prime Punk and prime Orton to contest with.

Cactus Jack, Luger, Sid, Anderson and Zybysko aren't exactly lightweights when it comes to being a successful heel. Rude had some pretty good competition as a heel and did very well considering. Not only that there were plenty of great heels in WWF '89 and the only one that was above Rude at that point was Savage. Guys like Luger and Sid may not be on the level of Cena and Orton but guys like Savage, Andre and Dibiase sure as shit were.

At the best of times, I would say so. Punk turned heel before Summerslam, and I don't think Ryback ever reached Sheamus's level of popularity.

Considering Ryback headlined 3 PPV's and was in one of the most anticipated matches in the last 6 months of 2012 (his cell match with Punk) I would say Ryback was definitely more over than Sheamus. He was higher on the card, got louder cheers, was in bigger storylines and was treated like a bigger deal. Frankly, I would say Ryback's 2012 run was more over than ANY run Sheamus has ever done.

Not all of Sheamus's biggest wins involved interference, flukes or heel tactics. Rude has not only won his big matches non-clean, but has lost several matches in an attempt to win matches non-clean.

This doesn't even matter. I mean we're talking about wrestling here.

Rude hit Sting with the title, pinned Sting, only to have the decision reversed. At best, it's a non-clean win for Rude, at worst, it's a loss. Sting refused the title, so it was vacated.

And yeah, he had a 6 man tag match in '97 ECW, but I won't count that for the sake of your argument.

To be fair the only reason it was reversed was because Rude blew out his back and had to retire during the match. Either way, he still retired beating Sting in a World Title match.

But that's the thing, wrestling is a fixed sport. From a kayfabe perspective, Sheamus would be put over Rude in a rubber match between the two. And I've explained why Sheamus would be put over Rude from a booking perspective; it makes more sense.

I don't see it. Sheamus' success is solely dependent on when he wrestled, Rude's wasn't. If both were in their primes and on the same roster there is no way in hell that Sheamus would be higher on the card than Rude and I don't see him beating Rude either.

And I do think you're underestimating Sheamus; sure he gets a degree of flak from the IWC, but he was very popular amongst the casual fans throughout his face run. He can put on good matches, and is comfortable using the mic, which is more than can be said for a lot of other guys.

Not saying that Rude wasn't over, but again, you're basing the reaction of the IWC towards Sheamus as the entire perspective. He was very popular amongst casual fans and got good reactions consistently.

I know there were casuals out there who liked Sheamus but he was never the type of guy you'd pay to see. Even if the casuals did like him it wasn't ever enough to make Sheamus a draw. Rude did things in wrestling that actually drew money, and quite a bit of it I might add, that's something Sheamus can't say.

Sheamus doesn't "disappear into the abyss", he falls out of the top card, an area of the card that he has had far more success in than Rude. At his very worst, Sheamus has been a successful mid-carder, and to his credit, so has Rude. But Sheamus has had far more success than Rude in the upper echelons.
Rude has done very well in the upper mid-card/main event level and has proven that more than once. Sheamus can't hang at that level and never has despite how much WWE wants him there.

So winning the Royal Rumble in 2012 wasn't as memorable as anything Rude did? Right...

For fans who have been around for long enough to remember what's more memorable? Sheamus winning the 2012 RR (which earned him an opening match at WM) or when Rude hit on Jake Roberts' wife and Jake ran down, stripping him down?

It's like I've said, Sheamus' accomplishments are rather forgettable. I still hear fans 30 years ago that mention that Rude/Roberts feud and I hear it quite a bit. I don't hear anyone mention anything that Sheamus has done and there's a reason for that.

I respect your opinion, and you've made a good case for Rude. What it boils down to me is that Rude has had very little success at the top of the card, whereas Sheamus has at least had some. Rude's accomplishments look more meaningful on paper than they are in reality.

The ultimate accomplishment in wrestling is to get over with the fans, connect with the fans and make a lot of money for yourself and the company you work for. Although I don't knock your opinion I have no problem saying Rude was more over, connected with his fans more, and drew more money than Sheamus ever has (maybe that will change after Ninja Turtles 2 comes out). Because of that I got to put him over Sheamus.

Yes, Sheamus is a multiple time champion and has accomplished a lot in his fairly short time in WWE, but he's not a big draw by any means and gets over about as well as a lead balloon. Rude, on the other hand, has had his fair share of championships all over the place and is one of the best heels of his time. Maybe Rick's time on top wasn't the best in the world, but it was certainly more memorable than Sheamus's time.
Vote Rude.

Rude's tights are more memorable than anything Sheamus has done.

Really who can forget that!! Anyhow I've voted for Sheamus because of his hard work. It seems like I've started to like the League of Nations for some reasons. I'm not talking about ifs and buts, perhaps Sheamus hadn't drawn much but he had beaten the likes of John Cena, Daniel Bryan amongst the many others. He's a Royal Rumble winner, Money in the Bank winner and even had won the King of the Ring! Vote Sheamus

Rude's tights are more memorable than anything Sheamus has done.

Seriously, I was just about to mention this.

I said before, this forum has a tendency to overrate Rude, but Sheamus is booty. When was the last time you remember anything Sheamus did? When he won KOTR, it was a worthless tournament. When he won the RR, everyone agreed that Jericho should have won. When he won MITB the crowd went silent. Sheamus deserves his place in this tournament, but he should fall to Rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back