• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aren't we tired of Super Punk yet?

Been waitin for a thread like this.

Im so sick of CM Punk. Hes not entertaining at all. Ill Put this in a list with examples so CM Punk blowers dont cant complain

!. He Says the same crap every week all the time.
Every week he comes out and says "I am still your reigning WWE Champion for who gives a shit many days. You all doubt and boo me because you cant stand the fact that im still wwe champion. IM THE BEST IN THE WORLD EVEN THOUGH I CANT BEAT RANDY ORTON!!" He cant win a match without anyone interfering to help him by beating up the other person. EXAMPLE: John Cena who doesnt want to wrestle past his 9 favorite moves beat him last week one on one because no1 beat him up. When hes talking to AJ "You hate me because i rejected your proposal and now your taking it out me. Why dont you tell every1 how i was the best in the world?" "Vince McMahon is just pissed at me because i gave him the beating of his life" STFU last time i checked he beat the fuck out of you till you were on your knees begging for mercy.

2. Hes Not fit champion. This is mainly where everything fits

Since he came in ECW hes been good as a mid card guy. I cant remember anything about his career that sticks out. He is so boring. Things i know about his career that are big. He Never beat randy orton. Spilled soda. Talking at the top of the stage. Leaving with the title.... Nothing else. Since he became champion iv completely zoned out on the title picture and wwe all together. Hes a mid card guy running around bragging about being champion in a scripted wrestling show. He is teriible as heel. Dont anyone try to tell me that when he was trying to turn heel he had to try his fucking hardest to and he still gets cheered. People started booing him because the canadians did it and their the nicest people so they thought we must hate his. He does the same moves all the time. Elbow drop, high knee. head kick, gts, anaconda vice, axe hammer. Six moves, count them SIX MOVES and you people complain about Cenas 8 or 9 moves. People say "Oh hes so great got the mic let me hear another pipe bomb." Anyone else notice how much he stumbles and stutters now? If cant beat AJ Syles in the indies but he goes on twitter and talks trash about him just because hes in wwe and AJs in TNA. Hes still better.

Because hes champion the Championship has been completely irrelevent. Especially since they added AJ into the Punk Bryant fued which sucked to begin with. All he has the right to do is brag about how many days hes been champion because he hasnt succesfully defend by himself since Jericho and Bryant because they didnt want to push Jericho and Bryant is a nobody.

I know people hate it but the only sensibly thing to do is give it back to Cena. At least he has the popularity, and skills to hold the title at least untill they bring up another top card like Orton, or create another Edge, because right now i dont see anyone else fit to hold the title.

Wow this might be the stupidest thing I have ever wasted time skimming through!

You rip Punk for saying and doing the same thing week after week BUT want to give Stale Cena the belt who's WORSE and BORTON?????????

The writers have to dumb down people like Punk and DB with their abilities when they wrestle people like Cena and Ryback BECAUSE they can't wrestle. Irrelevant? Hardly! If it wasn't for them wanting to keep Cena as their face of the company, Punk would still be outselling him. It was Punk's choice to go heel FYI as he knew Cena was the one who was always going to be the top face.

A bit of advice, spell check is a valuable tool.

The writers have to dumb down people like Punk and DB with their abilities when they wrestle people like Cena and Ryback BECAUSE they can't wrestle.

The writers have almost nothing to do with the matches other than big spots and endings. The matches themselves are generally worked out by the wrestlers themselves.

Besides, I don't get this whole "Cena can't wrestle" argument. It's an extremely immature point of view, only held by people who are ignorant to the realities of the business they supposedly love. The only "wrestling ability" that actually matters is the ability to draw money, because drawing money is the only reason the industry even exists.

As some others have pointed out, Sly was being sarcastic in his post. The whole point of his post is basically pointing out that the IWC can't be pleased.

For years, people have been screaming for CM Punk to be pushed as a main eventer. The WWE does it, yet they still complain. People sceam for CM Punk to be WWE Champion, the WWE does it, yet they still complain. People scream for longer & more meaningful title reigns, the WWE does it, yet they still scream the title is worthless and it goes on and on.

It's true that Punk didn't get as much attention in the first half of his run as Cena did. People were still interested in Punk and what he was involved in even though he wasn't pushed as hotly as Cena was. Despite not getting as much time as Cena, they were still interested in seeing Punk wrestle & who he was wrestling against. Punk's matches garnered main event level interest even though his matches weren't closing the show, with his matches often being the best on the card no matter what spot they were in. Punk's a star and that's just all there is to it. But because Punk didn't close the shows, some want us to believe that somehow renders his entire run worthless or that he's not a main eventer. Smarks & haters have to gripe, even if it's an excuse they have to pull out of their asses.

Just like Cena, Punk deserves the spot he's in and the push that he's gotten. Why? Because he's good. Even if Punk incorporated mega tons of flashy moves into his matches, usually at the sacrifice of storytelling, there'd still be as many complaints among the IWC as ever. Just like Cena, Punk generates a lot of money for the WWE. So let's see:

Items For Being A Main Eventer

Able To Draw Money? - Check
Great In-Ring Ability? - Check
Great Promo Ability? - Check
Charismatic? - Check
Keeps Fans Interested? - Check

Reactions: IHW
The writers have almost nothing to do with the matches other than big spots and endings. The matches themselves are generally worked out by the wrestlers themselves.

To elaborate on this, there are also "road agents" who work with the wrestlers to plan the matches. For example, it was Dean Malenko who helped plan out Cole versus Lawler at WrestleMania - and yet not one Texas Cloverleaf!

The "dumbed down" argument is stupid. What's often the case is that wrestlers rely on lots of spots and a stiffer style in the independents, but are taught how to be more conservative, portray a character and work a crowd on their way into - and, indeed, during their time in - WWE. Their matches become somewhat, well, Pavlovian (this is the part where I don a monocle and pipe) rather than relying on dozens of suicide dives and flips to pop the crowd. Thus the 'amended' wrestlers are accused of dumbing down or selling out or-- something.

As a matter of personal taste, I'd put any Punk/Cena match over any Punk/Joe match, and I was more impressed by Daniel Bryan's match with Sheamus at Extreme Rules than I was by any of his ROH stuff I've seen.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I'm not totally averse to the "indie style". If you're not a fan of the WWE style, there's still plenty of indie feds out there catering for that niche. Shit, ROH's doors are still open, aren't they?

Besides, I don't get this whole "Cena can't wrestle" argument. It's an extremely immature point of view, only held by people who are ignorant to the realities of the business they supposedly love. The only "wrestling ability" that actually matters is the ability to draw money, because drawing money is the only reason the industry even exists.

I disagree that John Cena is a bad wrestler, but not because he draws money. The best actor isn't the one with the biggest box office gross - or so most think - but this logic sometimes gets flipped on its head when talking about wrestlers for some reason. John Cena isn't a bad wrestler because - get this - he wrestles well. He puts on good matches. He makes his opponents look good, he knows how to create tension, and he knows what points on the list to tick to make a crowd pop. He knows when to play up to expectations and when to defy them. Incredibly, he's also capable of bad matches, as any wrestler is, and isn't above criticism just because he fills Vince's coffers.

What's with all these posters talking trash and saying: "Oh, the IWC complain about something, get what they want and then bitch & moan."

Yes we complain because we want real entertainment as well as great talent.

Why do we complain afterwards? Because the creative and wrestlers fuck it all up afterwards. Look how excited we all were last year during the "Summer of Punk" when he was the "Voice of the Voiceless" and dropped all of his "Pipe-Bombs", one year down and some of of us are sick and tired of him because he dropped all of that and the creative aren't creating well enough story-lines to get him over. Look what happened during the start of this year till about Summer time, he did not main-event one single Pay-Per-View.

A lot of people (*cough* not including me *cough*) grew tired of Cena, why? Not because of his 5 moves (which I don't think is a problem, read my last post) but because of his gimmick which was based around children and again, because of the bookers and creative because they had him "win every match and pounce right back up as "Super-Cena" and win in his typical fashion.

So yeah, we complain, get what we want, bitch and moan and then that is a re-occurring cycle. We didn't do it before in the WWF Attitude-era because they didn't do all of this bullshit then now did they? What the hell is their problem now?

Reactions: Lee
I'm not tired of "Super Punk" as you put it. However, I am tired of the screwjob finishes in the last 3 PPVs. How many more stupid finishes are they going to have before he wins or loses clean?

People started hating CM Punk because WWE turned him into a corny face after Summerlslam 2011. People started booing Cena when he stopped doing what people liked about him in the first place his "Thugonomics" character. People liked heel Orton but WWE had to turn him into a boring face with limited mic-skills so people started hating him.

People start hating a certain wrestler because WWE changes what they liked about them in the first place.
Again, you are missing a point...

WWE turned Punk face because people cheered for him, as well as Orton(who btw always had that limited mic skills but is arguably best technical wrestler in WWE now). They boo Cena because, well I don't really know. Never really so much fan of a guy but he is just playin his character, his "Superman" gimmick, and he does it very well. I guess "haters gona hate". Thats why Slyfox draw a parallel between him and Punk now(but was sarcastical about it).

So you see, WWE serves people something they like at first, but then eventually hate and bitch about it. We love Punk- Punk is stall, We want longer title reigns because small title reigns degrade the belt- Why does that guy wins all the time in every way possible, We want attutude era back and program to be more edgy and not just for kids- Why does Punk mockes Jerry Lawrel, it's offensive(we got like 10+ pages thread on this last one). And the problem is not WWE, the problem is IWC who always bitches even when WWE gives them what they want. Not all the IWC because it will be the generalisation of things but some part of it...

I think he is doing a pretty good job as champ. He went from being a pretty cool face to a arrogant heel. I think the cheap wins are kind of stale but he's a heel, I am not going to complain anymore about it.

Plus: The rock will probably take the belt off him so he won't be champ much longer. Not that I agree with that!:shrug:

I wouldn't call him Super Punk but he is indeed getting dull to watch as Super Cena. Even the ratings proves it. Raw lost viewership during his celebration.

As much as I like Punk, it's sad to say that he just went from a very good face to a very generic arrogant heel.

How is it CM Punk gets to win every title match he's in? It's the same thing all the time, where Punk looks like he is about to lose, and then somehow leaves with the title. Punk only has like 6 moves anyway. I, for one, am getting sick of seeing Super Punk hold the title for forever. Not to mention, he keeps carrying around that stupid spinner belt.
:wtf:

Very funny post. Sarcasm at it's absolute finest. Reading the responses of some of the people who's head this thread went completely over is priceless.

Throwing in the "lol" and the inarticulate grammar was a great touch and definitely made for a great read. I have nothing to add to this thread other than, "Bravo!".

From what I've read your actually a very good moderator? And this was mostly just for the lolz,but if not then allow me to retout.Once again i think this is a joke...:lmao::lmao::lmao:

First off when it comes to the 6 moves comment WWE gives each wrestler a specific move package. They have freedom within a certain limit. They have to get each moved cleared before they can use it. If you look at matches of punk before he was in wwe you will see his vast knowledge of wrestling techniques. I find it hysterical when ppl point out ones move set when if you really take time you'll notice set moves.

I hope Super Punk loses the title soon. Maybe he can lose it to a good wrestler like Ryback, someone who actually looks legitimate in the ring and not some phony. Maybe Ryback can be Punk's kryptonite lol. And then Ryback can come out on Raw the next night, talk about how Super Punk's belt is such a kiddy toy, and bring back a title with prestige, like the Attitude Era belt.

WTF HAPPENED??? I luv CM Punk, but WWE fucked this guy all the way up. now they put him up against a no-talking, no-talented, no-skilled dufus like Ryback? Lol Punk's many skills unless he's against someone with actual skills. now Raw gets a 2.4 rating, making Punk the lowest rated WWE champion in over 15 years. way to go, WWE.

It's time the WWE kills Super Punk. We're all sick of him, the ratings keep getting worse and PPV buys keep going down. Punk only knows 6 moves, and he keeps saying the same things over and over on the mic, things which make intelligent fans roll their eyes. Only little kids actually boo him like he's supposed to be booed. He's obviously doing a terrible job as a heel.

Now looking at punk on the whole he really maybe the best character on tv right now IMO. He went from getting the biggest face pops to extraordinary heel pops in the matter of weeks. He really is a heel that will do whatever it takes to win. Who expected Brad Maddox to screw over Ryback? Who expected the nxt guys at survivor series? Without Punk those things don't happen there would be no need. To be honest punk is making Ryback better. Punk makes you hate him so much it actually makes Ryback look better in the ring. I do like Ryback but he can't carry a feud and they're trying to make him something inorganic.

I say we start a petition to get the WWE to quit shoving Super Punk down our throats. Who is with me?

I want you to take that petition... shine it up real nice... then turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it straight up your candy ass!!! :p:p:p

lol.....just lol.

lol look at all these people getting bent out of shape. They can flame the hell out of Cena and make up their own facts about him, but when someone does the same to Punk then all hell breaks loose. There's only one real difference between Cena's year long reign and Punk's. Cena didn't turn the title into a midcard belt and bomb as a baby face. Punk did. I'm liking him as a heel, but he's already proven he'll never be the face of the company.

How is it CM Punk gets to win every title match he's in? It's the same thing all the time, where Punk looks like he is about to lose, and then somehow leaves with the title. Punk only has like 6 moves anyway. I, for one, am getting sick of seeing Super Punk hold the title for forever. Not to mention, he keeps carrying around that stupid spinner belt.

I hope Super Punk loses the title soon. Maybe he can lose it to a good wrestler like Ryback, someone who actually looks legitimate in the ring and not some phony. Maybe Ryback can be Punk's kryptonite lol. And then Ryback can come out on Raw the next night, talk about how Super Punk's belt is such a kiddy toy, and bring back a title with prestige, like the Attitude Era belt.

It's time the WWE kills Super Punk. We're all sick of him, the ratings keep getting worse and PPV buys keep going down. Punk only knows 6 moves, and he keeps saying the same things over and over on the mic, things which make intelligent fans roll their eyes. Only little kids actually boo him like he's supposed to be booed. He's obviously doing a terrible job as a heel.

I say we start a petition to get the WWE to quit shoving Super Punk down our throats. Who is with me?

lol I get what your saying here... and no i dont think you even believe it litterally. Your right the same things people complained about cena can be said about punk now...and its about now when it will start... the 1 year championship reign was right about where cena hate started. I'm as guilty of being one of those stupid internet smart marks at the time myself... but Cena is fine being the same character day after day doing little to freshen up his character. I respect cena, think he is decent in the ring and loves this business.

Punk however I think understands this business better than cena to the extent of he knows how to work the crowd. Cena tried for along time to not acknowledge the boos, I'm sure him and vince both thought, "if we ignore it, it'll go away." Punk however knows that when what he's doing stops working, its time to change it. Thats how you stay relevent and keep people tuning in week after week. You never know what CM Punk will do next. You can almost always predict cena's next move.

CM punks reign as champ has been nothing short of awesome! I'm not tired of "super punk" and I think his reign should continue.. (and Im not a huge punk fan) but for those of you who are sick of it, don't worry.. royal rumbles coming up soon!

Wow this might be the stupidest thing I have ever wasted time skimming through!

You rip Punk for saying and doing the same thing week after week BUT want to give Stale Cena the belt who's WORSE and BORTON?????????

The writers have to dumb down people like Punk and DB with their abilities when they wrestle people like Cena and Ryback BECAUSE they can't wrestle. Irrelevant? Hardly! If it wasn't for them wanting to keep Cena as their face of the company, Punk would still be outselling him. It was Punk's choice to go heel FYI as he knew Cena was the one who was always going to be the top face.

A bit of advice, spell check is a valuable tool.
Of course im gonna rip on Punk for saying the same thing every week. EVERYONE HERE DOES cept u Punk blowers. I know how bad Cena is everyone knows, and your an idiot for implying that i actually think hes great.

And yea like the writers have to dumb down and script every move that their allowed to do in the ring. that jus sounds like a load. And yea its irrelevant. honestly i dont care who has the belt BECAUSE of Punk. I want him to lose it so he'll STFU every week with the same thing. Even when hes not fight them HE DOES THE EXACT SAME THING. look at him fighting Shaemus, Rey Mysterio, Orton and Bryant all the same minus the elbow drops. Cena has been out of the pictures for months on the title picture b4 now doing boring as hell side jobs with ryder and AJ and punk still wasnt the face of the company because he cant do anything to get up their. Im pretty sure if it was his idea of turning he wouldntve done a piss poor job of it and doing everything he could to be heel. Jus give it to Cena already until they find someone better or good enough to take it. If they have power and no technical skills that doesnt mean theyll lose the match or have to be fought against with restricted moves

And how is Orton worst than Cena and Punk? you can sit there all day and say Punk is the best at everything the writers just dont want him to beat Orton. I really doubt he could. Since hes face now he doesnt do his vicious moves like he used to when he was heel.

I dont see how hes still in the spotlight after Cena left the fued the 1st time it all went down hill with the title. the only interesting match he had for his title without Cena was with Jericho.

:banghead: where is your actual argument that says hes doing a good job as champ and deserves to have it? and dont be one of those people who say hes the best in the world, best talker, and fighter with no proof, or just say it to say it. Hes only champ because he was one of the best in the indies and the wwe signed him so no1 could have him and finally give a push because of that years later. now i dont see a reason for him still to be champ. would you sign one of the best guys in the indies only to make him mid card(where is still is IMO) and not do anything with him?

And like 99.9% of people who post on the internet we dont care for spell check. and our fingers slip

For the lulz:

You say Punk knows 6 moves? Yet in your deluded scenario, you want Ryback!? Punks a great champion. Think before you come out with such ridiculousness.

It seems yet again another internet fan isn’t happy about something.

You killed your rep with that ridiculous statement.

You are the main reason why people hate the IWC.

Brilliant idea once again from an IWC moron.

Are you serious, Sly? o_O

Wow... just wow. In what parallel universe do you watch wrestling??? :lmao:

The amount of ignorance in this post is beyond belief.
Again with this "Super Punk" thing. You guys know why they called him SuperCena right? It wasn't a winning streak. It was his literal invulnerability.
Really? His LITERAL invulnerability? So you could have LITERALLY shot John Cena with a gun during a match, and he'd be fine. No problem. Super Cena OP as fuck!

You're entitled to your opinion and to like whoever you please, but the fans don't lie.
Wait, wut? Wrestling fans don't lie? You've got jokes, kid.

If you need a wrestling fix watch TNA, or ROH, or CMLL or just about any promotion you can think of on YouTube. You have all the power, just change the channel.
What you don't know is that Sly actually has no power. He lives in a cave in the Misty Mountains, and the only channel he gets is USA at 8pm EST on Monday Nights. It comes on automatically, and will not go away until the show is over. During that time he is strapped to a chair and forced to watch. By magic.

First of all Cena and Ryback can't wrestle.
RUTHLESS... AGGRESSION!

So Jericho was a very believable champion when he defeated Rock and Austin in the same night? Jericho was a cruiserweight in WCW. If Punk is not believable as champ so is Jericho
You need to take two steps the fuck BACK from Chris Jericho, buddy. You don't say "Triple H sucks" around NorCal, and you don't talk shit about Chris Jerichi (in ANY era of wrestling) around me. You're probably one of those annoying fans that doesn't know the difference between the Lion Tamer and the Walls of Jericho. ARMBAR!

People started hating CM Punk because WWE turned him into a corny face after Summerlslam 2011.
#CornFace

This thread has made me lose all faith in the IWC. When did it become so filled with Cena Fanatics and 12 year olds?
When DID the IWC become filled with Cena fantastics and 12 year olds? That would be awesome. For me, because I want more Cena fans in my life. And for D-Man, because he likes 12-year-olds.

I just drank half a bottle of wine by myself, and upon reading this thread woke up my house mate because I was laughing so hard at 2AM. Some of the best trolling I've seen in years. And like a fucking pro, Sly makes the thread, leaves and doesn't come back. That is the sign of somebody so confident in their ability to troll, that they don't need to come back and stir the pot. This thread. So much this thread. God I'm drunk...

I have to LOL at all these posts declaring Punk one of the best "technical wrestlers" on the roster.

Not by a long shot. The best technical wrestlers on the roster are Brock Lesnar and Jack Swagger. By a mile. You know why? They are actual wrestlers. NCAA champion wrestlers, to be exact.

Punk is a great sports entertainer, one of the best the WWE has, but he's not a great "technical" wrestler.

are you seriously arguing this point? you can't honestly be serious?

CM Punk is an amazing wrestler, he deserves to be where he is right now, dunno why you're calling him super punk though. He's not John Cena, he doesn't get his ass kicked then come back with a five moves of doom and win every time, he uses his wits and cunning to win, and heel tactics. You bitch about the belt, he didn't event the fucking thing, he hates the design as much as everyone else says so himself, WWE are in the process of making a new one which will probably debut sometime next year. You say Ryback is a better wrestler, how many moves have you actually seen him do? I'm not hating on Ryback I like Ryback, he has a lot of potential and I'm sure will be a future champion. But you're just trying to turn a Cena argument on Punk. As for Punk being a crappy heel, did you see him mock Jerry Lawler, the heat he gets is insane. He's a damn good Champion and kept the championship picture relevant throughout the year, he's one of the best wrestlers in WWE, not a bodybuilder who doesn't know a suplex from a powerbomb, like it or not WWE is taking a new direction with the wrestlers they're bringing in and CM Punk is the poster boy of those guys and I along with the majority of the real fans am all for it!

Wow, your lack of intelligence astounds me. Super Punk? I bet you are a fan of Cena as well. The guy who really is Superman and never loses fairly. Punk has brought prestige back to a title that Cena tarnished with his subpar wrestling abilities.
Do you really think Punk is the one being shoved down our throats? He has been WWE champion for a year and only main evented when he was against Cena. Cena even main evented against Laurinitis. Who exactly is REALLY getting shoved down our throats.
I say thank God for wrestlers like Punk. People like Punk almost make the WWE's love for talentless guys like Cena and Ryback bearable.

It took me a foray into the spam section to realize that you, Slyfox, are the OP. I WZ from my shitty old phone with all the settings slide back to zero, so I didn't have a sig or a pic (long story).

At first it looked like some WZ noob (like me), but then I realized: This is Slyfox, a respected poster and mod, so the thread is meant to be satirical. And a good job at that as well!

Punk does have a massive IWC fanbase. Even though I never cared for him, I grudgingly respect him as a talented, well-rounded superstar, which he is. I just don't think he's THAT great, mainly because how his feuds with Daniel Bryan and Jericho disappointed me.

He does have many similarities to Cena, like the limited moveset, homages to past wrestlers and a character that gets repetative, yet Cena gets bashed for it, but Punk gets adored for it.

I became fed-up with Punk a while back, especially with all the ''best in the world'' crap. ''One of the best'' maybe, but if he's top heel, then it shows the dire straits the company's in, talent-wise. Also, the Austin-rumours made me dislike Punk even more. If Stone Cold only has one more match (which would probably be a risk, anyway), then why waste it on a pretender to the throne like Punk?

I'm not bored of him. I'm a big fan of Punk always have been. I'm just bored of his opponents. Cena and Ryback are just boring to watch. I don't care that they're popular for the kids.

His feuds with Jericho and Bryan were excellent because those 2 can actually wrestle and this showed in the matches. WWE needs to find someone who can match Punk for ability. As much as I don't like him The Miz would be a great opponent. I'd be very interested in a feud between those two.

Can we just have a Punk v Ohno or Punk v Rollins or Punk v Ambrose feud. They would be brilliant.

Yeah, I agree with the thread starter. I'm tired of Punk. If Cena is the yardstick and he sucked, Punk is really no better, and I mean that from the very very bottom of my heart. Just look at all the PPVs Punk is in, is there any match that stands out. It's not his opponents, it's him. His match is boring as hell, it's the same few moves with every opponents, and the same match with every opponent. The longer he holds on to the title, the less it worth to me. Give the belt to someone who would look more convincing as a champion, or to someone who had actually worked hard and can give us terrific matches in the ring. Give Ryback, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan and Dolph a chance. It's time for Punk to hand over the belt.

I'm not the biggest Punk fan but I'm nowhere near as sick of Superpunk as I am of supercena. Cena had a good 10 years in the spotlight while Punk has only had two, and much of those two have been an uphill battle for him. Is it time for him to lose the title, absolutely. Is there anyone around other than Cena to take that title away from him? No. You cant drop the title on Ryback. Ryback is too green and giving him the title too early can have the same effect it had on Del Rio's career. Keep this rivalry going for a month more and have someone like Orton attack Punk after it so Punk can finally drop the title to someone.

Apparently, the rest of the world is, as well. I was looking at the overruns, just for shits and giggles. In the history of Monday Night Raw, CM Punk has been the focal point of the top five worst overrun ratings of all time. Worse than the Miz, worse than Alberto Del Rio, worse than the Nexus at its absolute worst. Now, I should be upfront and admit that three of the top five worst overruns are in the new three hour era, which Punk apologists can point to as the reason for the decreased rating. That said, here were the top five worst overruns up to last week.

1. Punk/Bryan/Ryder vs. Alberto/Ziggler/Miz – 12/19/11 – 2.67 overrun rating
2. Punk/Ziggler vs. Team Hell No – 10/1/12 – 2.7 overrun rating
3. Cena/Punk/Heyman in-ring segment followed by Punk/Foley/Ryback backstage – 9/24/12 – 2.74 overrun rating
4. Punk vs. Sheamus lumberjack match followed by Punk/Ryback brawl – 10/22/12 – 2.89 overrun rating
5. Punk vs. Bryan/Tensai – 5/7/12 – 2.94 overrun rating

That was, of course, until last week, when the CM Punk celebration and the Turtlenecks (my name for the "Shield") scored a 2.87. That actually means that Punk holds the distinction of having the top 6 worst overruns of all time. It should be noted that overruns for special 3 hour Raw episodes didn't have their overruns cut nearly as much as these top five. Now granted, there is a massive problem with the three hour era of Raw, but not every Raw in the three hour era is suffering from these abysmally low overrun ratings. Punk may not be the main factor in driving off fans, but there definitely seems to be a correlation. PPV business is, for the most part, up; that's just as easily attributed to the returns of Rock and Brock Lesnar, than for anything Punk has done. There seems to be a large disconnect between the push Punk has received, and the amount of viewers that he's attracting.

Punk fans will argue, "Haiku, you're a fucking idiot. Why have they kept the belt on him for so long?" The answer, my dim witted friends, is as simple as The Rock. When the Rock announced in July that he was challenging for the WWE Title at the Rumble, it built in a natural storyline, that has made it so the WWE can't hotshot their belt, as they are wont to do. I mentioned earlier Del Rio's push to the top; Del Rio didn't have the guarantee to face The Rock at the Rumble, so the WWE could afford to hotshot their belt to Cena when ratings started to tumble. The Rock and Punk have had an angle building for six months, and because the WWE wants to make Rock's return mean something for his eventual run at Wrestlemania, they've decided they can't hotshot the belt, and they have to build Punk up, in spite of the fact that he seems to be ratings death.

So, yes, Punk fans, I'm sorry; your boy is ratings death.

Something's not clicking,
and Punk working with the Rock
is his saving grace.

I personally think Sly was nice and clever in his original post here because he kind of has a point.

There are so many people that whine when Cena was holding the belt for so long that are still all about CM Punk despite the length of the reign and a decent amount of predictability.

I will say there are some major differences about Punk's reign (this one and the one before the short Del Rio run). In Cena's two mega reigns, he was a face the ENTIRE time. He did get run out there against some solid opponents though and had some great feuds, but he remained a face the entire time and there were a TON of matches where going in you knew for a fact that Cena was coming out on top.

With Punk's reign ... you have a longterm face title holder that morphed into a heel title holder and has been legit the entire time, that is pretty significant. He didn't turn heel to get his title back ... he turned heel while already holding the title. That simply does not happen very often. He also has come out of feuds without losing when it seemed he might.

We all definitely thought Jericho might take the belt to only drop it right back. He didn't. We all thought it was a good possibility that Bryan could take the strap for a month only to drop it back. He didn't. We all thought that Cena was the man that WWE was going to have end the run. He didn't.

I feel like there has definitely been a lot more of Punk winning when it seemed possible he might lose, while during Cena's runs that did not happen so much (except for the magnificent Edge cash-in).

But, I am a fan of both guys because they drive reaction and drive the E right now. Anyone who argues otherwise is either a troll or a hater. Even if you don't love the guys, it is not difficult to see who the crowd reacts to and who sells the merch.

Punk needs to move out of the way and stop hogging the spotlight so guys like Kofi Kingston can get a chance to shine! Maybe Punk is a racist like Vince and doesn't like black people. Yeah, that MUST be why Kofi isn't world champion... or Shelton Benjamin.

Whoa, that's some racist thing to say. Wasn't Mark Henry a two time champion? Or was it more? I don't see it in Kofi either. Shelton Benjamin on the other hand impresses me in the ring, but I've not once hear him talk. If you could find a black guy who is built like Sheamus, or a guy who is as comfortable in the ring and on the mike as Daniel Bryan, then yes, maybe they are racist.

The Rock is half black too, right?

SMH...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back