• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are All Americans The Same?

Is MacFarlane close to being proper Irish? Doth the plot dare thicken?

According to his Wikipedia entry his family comes from Canada by way of London and even has ancestry going back to a Mayflower passenger. It would appear that his nickname is a red herring in this case.

Dragon I am from the north western united states and I want to say that most Americans have a superiority complex. I blame the very vain and superficial ideas that the mainstream media (television, movies, music, everything) have tried to be shoved down the American populations throats since the 1980's. No way do I go around acting better than anyone I meet and I certainly wouldn't go to another country and do the same. It's disrespectful and it gives Americans like me, who want to get away from that stigma a bad name. I'v heard from many people that when they go to another country they say that they are from Canada so people don't know they are from the US. It's horrid and I'm sorry you had that experience.

Nah, should you come to the States, I think you'll find that most Americans are just like you. You'll probably be at an advantage with US women though since they love French accents and any accents from the UK.

Tonight was pretty much the same order of business, but with a twist, as it was Gay pride.

So I had a group of homosexual Brit's in, some female and some male, who were great to me and the other staff, they were respectable, when I asked them to kindly move aside they did, when I told them to wait a couple moments while we restocked they'd no problems, literally a great bunch of people. But for the Americans the pattern continued - a girl on the floor staff was told to "hurry up" because it took her more than two minutes to get the group their drinks, whenever floor staff tried getting at their glasses which the barmen need to continue serving as its a gradual cycle they were refused which is totally out of the ordinary and disrespectful, and when a manager took a glass from a homosexual American he got lambasted for it - best part is my manager can tell him where to go and he did, it was one of the highlights of my night.

However I met a lovely American girl who was the perfect customer and person. She basically wanted to talk to me all night because she sat in the same position at the end of the bar which is where I'm placed so I could talk to her while serving, she was respectful, as were her friends, they were from Jersey and despised Jersey Shore which is always a plus, and tomorrow their taking the day out to experience an Irish gaelic football match in Croke Park, the eight biggest stadium in Europe. She is an example for me that you're not all alike, just that most seem to have their heads well in their asses.

Maybe bartenders and waitstaff are just better over here. No one tells us to temper our expectations when we travel abroad. :p

Seriously though, most people have their head up their ass. It seems to me this is more of a cultural thing than a real issue.

It happens everywhere man.

My dad was born and raised in America, has a few bucks and therefore thinks he owns whatever building he goes into. One night we were having dinner at Cracker Barrel after coming home from a Reds game and there were about 150 people in the restaurant. Due to a bad set of circumstances, there were five waitresses on staff. It took awhile to take our order, to get our order to us and to get it right, but given the circumstances it's more than understandable. My dad of course was ticked off because HE wasn't their top priority. He went to the rest room and I told the waitress to ignore everything he said and that she was doing fine given the circumstances.

I don't get why people are like that and it's really annoying. Waiting five minutes isn't going to ruin your day and if it does.....actually I don't have anything sarcastic here. Just get over yourself because everyone else is paying the same prices you are for whatever you're having.

They did it on South Park long before American Dad existed.

Either this thread is a sarcasm-free zone, or I have a reputation for being very serious.*

I'm well aware that American Dad! didn't originate it. I used American Dad! in concert with a ludicrous statement that "our humor" was being stolen and an over-the-top America! Fuck Yeah! video because it fit the obnoxious American theme. I was playing. I guess for clarification's sake I should point out that I was also being sarcastic about MacFarlane's shows being original and funny. "Plagiarismo" and "Plagiarismo Di Plagiarismo," as The Simpsons put it.

*Or I just amuse myself, and what I say is lost in translation. Yep, that's it.

Dr. said:
Either this thread is a sarcasm-free zone, or I have a reputation for being very serious.
Whenever I'm being facetious, I add #heel to my post. Helps clear things up.

Whenever I'm being facetious, I add #heel to my post. Helps clear things up.

Yeah, this isn't the first time it's happened. Maybe I should label my posts. On my end, I see a statement like "American Dad! made up this decades old joke" as patently absurd, but I can't count on everyone taking it that way. I can't steal your gimmick, though. Maybe I'll find one of the lesser used smilies.

Watch out. You're starting to live up to your reputation of being very serious.

I like Dr.. He's generally pretty funny, doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body, and whenever he gives me a reach around every time he checks my prostate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back