• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

All music today sounds the same

Sweeping general statement? Yeah, but you all get what I mean. I'm listening to the radio and each song sounds like it's by the same artist. There is nothing that compels me to go out and buy a particular artists' CD. I may buy a song from said CD, but everyone sounds the same and there's nothing differentiating the bands. Why should I prefer The Academy Is over Theory of a Deadman, or whatever? At least in the UK they have Prodigy, Calvin Harris, La Roux, and others to break up the monotony.

America is boring when it comes to current hits. It's all droning and shit. I don't get how people can rag on electronic music for all being the same or easy to make, and then they go listen to radio stations full of stuff like THAT.

Lies. Taylor Swift rapes worlds.

I listen to my local rock station, mainly for the morning show, but a lot of what they have for music is solid. Rock is always good at least to an extent.

As for "popular" music such as rap/hip hop or pop (note: the more popular stuff, not all) is just repetitive. It boggles my mind that rap is always dominating the top ten. A segment that the radio station i listen to does is Rap Masterpiece Theater. They read the lyrics from the #1 song in the country like a Shakespeare piece to show how stupid it sounds.

Rock isn't much better KB. All of the currently popular rock bands are pretty much massive pieces of shit. Nickelback? Quite possibly the worst band on the planet. Foo Fighters? Blander than white rice. What other popular rock bands are there? Kings of Leon? Make me want to jump out of a high-rise building.

All of the good music is underground these days. There are very few popular music artists that don't suck massive amounts of balls right now.

I like some of the current rock bands, like Nickelback, but to be fair I'm a novice compared to most of the music lovers here.

I just noticed that the "d" in Klunderbunker wasn't a "b" I think I'm going to go get tested to see if I'm Dyslexic.

Firstly, watch this video. My feelings on modern rock are the same, though I do like electronica, and trance, so disregard that portion.

[youtube]AyRDDOpKaLM[/youtube]

Now, if you truly dig the foreign metal, Doc, give these guys a listen.

[Youtube]UllQX-GtnQU[/youtube]

Mayhem. The name of the song is Chainsaw Gutsfuck, off of Deathcrush. These guys are what black metal is all about. They are, and Echelon can back this up, "Pure Fucking Armageddon".

Reactions: X
Rock isn't much better KB. All of the currently popular rock bands are pretty much massive pieces of shit. Nickelback? Quite possibly the worst band on the planet. Foo Fighters? Blander than white rice. What other popular rock bands are there? Kings of Leon? Make me want to jump out of a high-rise building.

All of the good music is underground these days. There are very few popular music artists that don't suck massive amounts of balls right now.

I couldn't agree more with most of that post, other than the fact that I actually like Foo Fighters most of the time.

I tend to like bands that... while they aren't exactly what I'd call underground, they're just beneath the surface of popular. Like, for example, KMFDM and Nightwish. Two of my favorite bands, and I think most people are aware of their existance and might even like a song or two, but I still don't think you could go so far as to call them popular. There's a large chunk of music that could be described that way, and that's where the bulk of my musical taste comes from.

I tend to listen to very good music & stay away from the radio. I use my iPod for great diverse music! You know, the best of the best... Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, The Doors, AC/DC, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Queen, Michael Jackson, KoЯn, Van Halen, Elton John, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Nightwish... do I need to keep going with this?

... alongside the best of the more modern stuff like Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Cascada, Evanescence, A7X, Duffy, Green Day, Mariah Carey, Ne-Yo... get my point? And yes, I said Cascada is great.

We have at least half a century of music... I'm sure if you collect the best of these years you will find a reason why not to care about the repititive music. I know the bar room is for sorrow or the like... but be positive like me! But in terms of bar room forum talk... stop caring!

I think most of the other poster's have gone into good detail about the range of other different hard rock style music. But if you want something quite different to all of that- give a listen to some northern European music.

Iceland in particular has a lot of relatively new interesting bands, such as Sigur Ros, or alternative composers such as Johann Johannasson or Olafur Arnalds. I am not sure how big they have got, but you should definatly check out a British band called the Foals, they call themselves "Math rock" and its hard to describe them, album was brilliant though. In terms of pop Florence and the Machine's album is good too, as well the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs's album. All of these are available on spotify and all worth a listen in my humble opinion :)

I think most of the other poster's have gone into good detail about the range of other different hard rock style music. But if you want something quite different to all of that- give a listen to some northern European music.

Iceland in particular has a lot of relatively new interesting bands, such as Sigur Ros, or alternative composers such as Johann Johannasson or Olafur Arnalds. I am not sure how big they have got, but you should definatly check out a British band called the Foals, they call themselves "Math rock" and its hard to describe them, album was brilliant though. In terms of pop Florence and the Machine's album is good too, as well the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs's album. All of these are available on spotify and all worth a listen in my humble opinion :)

I especially like the symphonic/gothic/melodic music that comes from around this area. Nightwish, After Forever, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom... great interesting sounds.

BLAND, that's exactly the word I was looking for! It all sounds the same. Why should I prefer Kings of Leon over Theory of a Deadman, for example? They have done nothing to make themselves interesting. I'm glad I have the cord that lets me listen to my iPod while driving now.

A lot of stuff. I'll go down the Artists list on my iPod.
A.F.I.
ABBA
Above the Ruins (That's my band)
AC/DC
The Adventures of Duane and BrandO
AE
Aerosmith
Akeboshi
Albano
Alice Cooper
Alice Deejay
Alphaville
Ambassadors of Funk
Aoi Shoudo
Aqua
Asian Imagination
Ayumi Hamasaki
Bad Religion
Banya
Barenaked Ladies
Basshunter
The Beatles
Billy Joel
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
Blumchen
Bo Burnham
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Bon Jovi
Buckner & Garcia
Bus Stop
Calvin Harris
Captain Jack
Caramel
Carl Douglas
Cascada
The Charlie Daniels Band
Cher
Chris Jericho
Cobra Starship
Coheed & Cambria
COIL
Collie Buddz
Countdown
Crazy Loop
Daft Punk
DC Talk
Dead or Alive
Dexy's Midnight Runners
The Divinyls
DJ Sharpnel
DM Ashura
DragonForce
Dream Theater
Dune
Duo de Pelikaan
Eiffel 65
Europe
Fireball Ministry
Flip & Fill
Fukuyama Yoshiki
Funtastic Power
Game Over
Gecko Yamori
Girls Aloud (Shut up, "Untouchable" is a good song.)
Gorillaz
Groove Coverage
Guns N' Roses
Gunther
Haddaway
Happatai
Hellogoodbye
Iceman
The Immortals
Initial D
Instant Remedy
Interphace
Iron Maiden
Jamiroquai
Jan Van Valburg
Joe Redifer
John Desire
Johnny Cash
Jose the Bronx Rican
Justice
Kansas
Khuskan
The Killers
Kutless
Lady Gaga
Lemon Demon
Lester
The Lonely Island
Magical Trick Society
Matthew Wilder
Men At Work
Metallica
Metamorphosis Jazz Band
Metro Station
Michael Jackson
Michael Sanders
Mindless Self Indulgence
Monty Python
Motley Crue
Motorhead
mrSimon
Murray Head
Muse
N-Flame
Neuroticfish
Nightwish
Nine Inch Nails
O-Zone
o2
Oasis
One Up Studios
Ozzy Osbourne
PargonX9
Patrick Cowley
The Pet Shop Boys
Plus Tech Squeeze Box
Project 86
Prozzak
Pupo
Queen
Quiet Riot
Raffi
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rednex
Reverend Horton Heat
Rhapsody
Rick Astley
Rickrollerz
Ryashon
Sayaka Morita
Scapegoat Wax
Scatman John
Scooter
September
Shamen
Shannon Moore
Simon & Milo
Sonata Arctica
Special D
Star Salzman
Steve Porter
Switchfoot
T Spoon
Takeharu Ishimoto
Takia
Tears for Fears
Three Days Grace
Tina Cousins
TNA
Toy-Box
Tune Up!
Ulfuls
Uncle Kracker
Utada Hikaru
Vanilla Ice
(A load of people from DDR and Overclocked Remix that got sorted into "V" for "Various Artists")
The Very Low Sodium Band
Vinylshakerz
Waterproof Blonde
WCW
Weird Al Yankovic
WWE
Yellowcard
187 Lockdown
65daysofstatic

Kutless
Project 86

I bet someone got dragged to christian concerts by their parents like I did, and found out some of those christian metal bands aren't half bad, right? That's how I know of both of those bands.

I mean, whether you agree with their message or not, some of those guys are fantastic. Demon Hunter is another example. Great band that happens to be christian. Ditto Relient K (if you dig the pop punk thing, I happen to like it). Ditto Norma Jean. etc etc.

My goodness my eyes must be going. You know I think I checked that list twice and I didn't come across Radiohead. :blush: I really must see about getting my eyes tested ;)

I noticed quite a lot of Europop- I didn't know that much of that played in across the pond.

Wow Doc... & you say that the music on the radio is bland. lol. You have Vanilla Ice instead of VH... well I show you a real list:

A.F.I
ABBA
AC/DC
Aerosmith
After Forever
Alannah Myles
Alice Cooper
Alice In Chains
Alien Ant Farm
The Allman Brothers Band
Anastacia
Anthrax
Arch Enemy
A7X
Avril Lavigne
Billy Idol
Billy Joel
Black Label Society
Black Sabbath
blink-182
Bob Seger
Bon Jovi
Boston
Breaking Benjamin
Britney Spears [one song "everytime"]
Bullet 4 My Valentine
Celion Dion
Cheap Trick
Children Of Bodom
Choirboys
Chris Brown
Colbie Caillat
Cold Chisel
Creed
The Cure
The Darkness
Daughtry
Def Leppard
Delta Goodrem
Dio
Disturbed
The Doors
DragonForce
Dream Theater
Duffy
The Eagles
Eddie Money
Electric Light Orchestra
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Europe
Evanescence
Fall Out Boy
Finger Eleven
Fleetwood Mac
Flyleaf
Foghat
Foo Fighters
Foreigner
The Fray
The Getaway Plan
Goo Goo Dolls
Green Day
Grinspoon
Guns 'N' Roses
Heart
Helmet
Hinder
Hoobastank
In This Moment
Incubus
INXS
Iron Maiden
The Jacksons
Janet Jackson
Jeff Beck
Jet
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Eat World
John Butler Trio
John Farhnam
Jordin Sparks
Kelly Clarkson
The Killers
Killswitch Engage
Kim Carnes
KISS
Kisschasey
The Knack
KoRn
Lacuna Coil
Lady GaGa
Ladyhawke
The Last Goodnight
Led Zeppelin
Lenny Kravitz
Leona Lewis
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Lita Ford
Living Colour
The Living End
Lynard Skynard
Machine Head
Mariah Carey
Maroon 5
Mary J. Blige
Matchbox 20
Meat Loaf
Megadeth
Metallica
Michael Jackson
Midnight Oil
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Ne-Yo
Nickelback
Nightwish
Nirvana
The Offspring
Ozzy Osbourne
P!nk
Pantera
Papa Roach
Paramore
Pat Benatar
Pearl Jam
Poison
Powderfinger
Queen
R. Kelly
REM
Rage Against The Machine
Ram Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rihanna
Rise Against
Robbie Williams
The Romantics
Santana
Scorpions
Seal
Seether
Silverchair
SlipKnoT
The Smashing Pumpkins
Something With Numbers
Soundgarden
Steely Dan
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stone Sour
Stone Temple Pilots
Survivor
System Of A Down
t.A. T. u.
Tenacious D
Thin Lizzy
Thristy Merc
Timbaland
Toto
Trivium
Twisted Sister
U2
UnSun [new Polish band. The song "Whispers" is my entrance theme music for wrestling!]
Usher
Van Halen
The White Stripes
Whitesnake
Wings
The Who
Willie Nelson
Within Temptation
Wolfmother
ZZ Top
2Pac
3 Doors Down
30 Seconds To Mars

I think I prefer mine...

Ninja Rap is a fucking great song, so don't be dissing Vanilla Ice. It's crap, but in a good way.

Nitafrong: Well, I like Europop. I visit the UK every summer and I think they have a way better selection over there. Some of the European bands I've found out about through internet memes and such. I actually like the stuff.

Dexter: Well, my best friend's dad was a preacher, back when I lived in Florida, so that's how I found out about Relient K and DC Talk. Kutless was because of a cool song "Million Dollar Man" I heard on Youtube, and Project 86 was because of SvR08.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back