• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are All Americans The Same?

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
Ever since I was a young lad, playing football in my back garden and beating up kids cause I watched wrestling and thought it was normal, I always viewed America as "it" in a way. I mean, America is apparently the ideal world we should all strive to live in, majority of great minds and ideas come from your part of the world, weren't you if not aren't (because I'm not too into economics) the richest country or thereabouts in the world?

But I've realized in recent years and especially in the last few months working in not only one of the busiest pubs in Dublin but Ireland as a whole, an apparent "premiere" holiday destination for those of the United States that you are the home to some of the most naive, pretentious, arrogant fucks in the entire world!

Ireland is bad. I mean the stereotype you read about drinking to excessive levels and being fond of a fight is true, no denying that, but the American stereotype - which outside of America isn't that you're a bunch of fat apes, which is what you assume - that your extremely ignorant and think no matter where you go in the world you own it, was verbally conveyed live and in living color for me tonight.

I was working, I'm a barman, I tend to an average of 2,100 customers every night (just as an example, out stock in take this morning was approximately €3,800, on top of the leftovers of previous days) and we managed to bring in over €4,900 for the night, between six in the evening to one-thirty at night, and because we're centered in the heart of Dublin our biggest consumer in the summer months? Tourists!

Tonight I dealt with three American tourists who brought me to the desire of physical beating! The first one was during rush our, between 9:00pm and 11:00pm, we tend to have inside and outside an estimate of 1,000+ customers, so it'd not easy to tend to everyone. Now the average Irish and having drank, holiday'd and known several British people time for an order to actually get to you after ordering in an extremely busy atmosphere is three minutes. Within one minute, if even after two Americans asked me for three Guinness they were shouting at me - not asking, not talking - but shouting at me, "do you know who we are?"

I wanted to shove a pint glass down each of their throats and watch them gag on their own stomach fluid! Do I know who you are? Your a cunt who has came to my country, probably claiming to have some heritage - because lets be honest, the best parts of America weren't built by Americans themselves but the Irish who emigrated there - and then when I respond by shrugging my shoulders I get three odd looks as though, "who does he think he is?"

I had no real power of those Americans, nor did I over the duo who asked me, "where are the toilets?" to which I responded, "their down the stairs." These idiots literally walked down the stairs, were inches away from the lads toilets but in some stupidity turned back, found me to tell me, "the toilets aren't down the stairs, we looked," you looked? They were inches from you, you stupid prick! So when I gave them the instruction, "down the stairs, walk forward and to the left" I was then told, "you should have said that first, your first direction wasn't good." Wasn't good? Because your to thick to walk down a small hallway and look to either side?

But the best is as always left to last. Bar closes at 1:30am, that are when the final round it taken in, customers are handed a leaflet of possible places to head once we're closed. Guess what a certain group of Americans decides? "We're not moving, we're staying right where we are, and when we order drinks after the final call we'll argue because we're on holiday". I not only had to help assist an American from the building due to his behavior but when he went to the nightclub across the street, was told no access and then began a fight about it with security because, "I'm on holiday and some of my ancestors are from Kerry" had to request they leave the AREA, which includes six pubs, two nightclubs and a hotel on the same street.

I am begging some of you who are American that this is just some coincidence, that the worst of you do travel abroad and when they do, they make a bad name for those who are decent folk? That your not all naive, ignorant, edjits who think the entire globe revolves around, because if you do you should truly see what the rest of the world thinks of American and those who consume it. I know what people think of the Irish and the stereotype is so true, but we've not got all that bad of one, Americas is one which you'd want to disprove.

Yes, yes they are.

Also...

All Russians - muscular, communist spies
All Scottish - kilt-wearing, woaded bag-pipers
All Australians - boomerang-throwing bush-people
All English - tea-drinking snobs
All Chinese - kung-fu masters
All Indians - turbans with twenty children
All French - cowardly onion-farmers
All South-Africans - xenophobic racists
All Germans - war-mongering fascists
All Italians - well-dressed sissy-boys

Are we having fun, yet? ;)

It's challenging when our stereotypes get confirmed, but in reality "all God's children are terrible".

I think you vastly underestimate the size, diversity, and population of the United States. We've got swaths of Americans who don't like America. We've got races, religions, and groups who would wage war on each other if it weren't for the common bond of being American. I've lived on both coasts, in the north and south, and different parts are like completely different countries in their own right.

That said, American exceptionalism is very much a real thing, and a vast, vast majority of us, regardless of race, religion, or location are guilty of it. We think we're the best, and frankly, it's not without cause. I don't mean that as any kind of an insult to any other nation. It's just that as a nation we've come extremely far in a relatively short amount of time. Our military has won impressive victories, our scientists have made major discoveries, our industrialists have climbed to the top of their industries. All of these things have made us very patriotic, very proud, and too often perhaps, very big ********s to the rest of the world. We have an implicit feeling of imperialism; that is to say, most Americans (whether they realize it or not) feel that they live in the capital of the empire of the world. Those that don't fall in line with our culture, eat our fast food, speak our English, and listen to our music are looked at sideways more often than not.

I'm generalizing to a degree, perhaps a bit of hyperbole as well, but I think the gist of what I'm saying is true. If it makes you feel any better, the other shoe is dropping. This generation of Americans is growing fat, decadent, and lazy. We stand on the shoulders of giants, reaping the benefits battles won and achievements made long ago. If we didn't import doctors from India/the Middle East, farm workers from Mexico, and technology from Japan and parts of Asia, we'd be a second world power with a badass military. As it stands, though, we're doing pretty good over here and we're cocky because of it. A poor person here is undeniably wealthy by most other nations' standard.

Sorry if some of us come to your turf and act like assholes, but to be honest, if you were from here, you probably would too.

No, sorry, we're all terrible people. Every little boy and girl lucky enough to be born in the country that invented freedom, baseball, and fake boobs (in ascending order of importance) is taught that we pretty much own whatever we see, sharing is for communists, and not to break for foreigners.

Some people are just assholes, and some people are much bigger assholes after they've gotten a couple drinks in them. For every one American that visits Dublin and acts like a complete nob, I'd reckon there are ten that visit Dublin and are perfectly respectful. You just don't notice that latter crowd because they do a nice job blending in, apart from them taking pictures of stuff you see every day and think nothing of, like cars with steering wheels on the right side of the car.

OH the horror stories I could tell about tourists from mainland China...
Basically anybody from a region with sudden influx of wealth and has the ability to travel overseas for the first time...
oh the horror stories...

I know I've wanted to punch several of my fellow Americans when I traveled abroad. There are a lot of entitled dipshits, but as JGlass said, you notice the bad ones, you don't notice the dozen or so trying to blend in. There is a certain cocky, frat boy, sub-culture that brings all of us down.

I'm wondering what's the stereotype you guys have of Brazilian, Portuguese and Spanish? Dragon Saga you probably encountered some Portuguese a few years back, when the Europe League final was held in Dublin.

I've never met a Brazilian girl that wasn't HAWT! Worked in a tasting room on a wine farm and quite a bit of them came by. Spanish girls were a little hairy and a few were blonde, to my surprise.

All Russians - muscular, communist spies

Speaking as one who has lived in Russia for almost a year, this is patently untrue. The Russian's are not particularly muscular.

I'm willing to bet money an American barman ham the exact same story in regards to Irish people.

There are assholes everywhere. Welcome to the real world.

I know I've wanted to punch several of my fellow Americans when I traveled abroad. There are a lot of entitled dipshits, but as JGlass said, you notice the bad ones, you don't notice the dozen or so trying to blend in. There is a certain cocky, frat boy, sub-culture that brings all of us down.

Enough beating around the bush, it was the NJexus, wasn't it?

:lmao:

Rough night at work Saga?

I used to frequent an Irish Pub in Chicago and it would get infested with young Irish men and women in the summer. It was awful. They were there in droves. They never seemed sober. It was like walking through a crowd without bumping on someone was a foreign concept.

One night one of these guys puked right next to the bar. The bartender who also happened to be Irish picked the guy up and dragged him in to a back room. The bartender came back a minute later and explained the kid would be out in a minute to clean up his own puke.

We the dude came back pushing a mop and bucket but there was a catch. He had taken all his clothes off. It was gross and hilarious all at once.

All Irish are drunk, naked, janitors.

I think I should have elaborated on the issue being not just mine but everyone on staff.

After we finish work we finally have twenty minutes or so to discuss the night and all issues seem to be either beggers (majority which are foreign) hanging around outside or an American making a demand, criticizing something because it doesn't fit their idea of what it should be or just causing general annoyance. We have issues with other too, our own regularly causes issues as do some British, but very few British in all honesty. I don't think we've had any major problem this summer with someone from Scotland, England or Wales, and if we have its not to my knowledge which it usually is as we have to keep tabs on peoples faces as to not let them in again.

I'm obviously not saying only Americans causes us issues and even own up to the Irish living true to our stereotype, but the vast majority of problems are Americans. Spanish people are very nice and respectful, I've even noticed that Canadian's find American's also visiting Dublin very rude, whereas they just seem to float about the place, never making demands or orders. And I'd been told before beginning the job to have a thick skin as it pertains to certain people, but last night it was American tourists and it had me wondering, "they can't all be like this?"

Having gone to the States on holiday I do recall finding the manner which people generally acted odd, but turn on a television screen or even talk to some of you on here or other forums and you're what I would define as normal, real to life people. So it really is just weird.

I'm wondering what's the stereotype you guys have of Brazilian, Portuguese and Spanish? Dragon Saga you probably encountered some Portuguese a few years back, when the Europe League final was held in Dublin.

I wasn't working in Dublin at the time of the Europa League Final but there is a Portuguese pub a street over so we usually get a lot of Portuguese because they tend to notice how busy our street is. I've had no issues with anyone Portuguese and I'd even compliment them on how they tip.

Any smart, unassuming American would be wise to pose as a Canadian while travelling so as not to be judged on the reputation of their fellow countrymen.

Any loud, ignorant Americans need only keep doing what they're doing. Yeehaw!

Any smart, unassuming American would be wise to pose as a Canadian while travelling so as not to be judged on the reputation of their fellow countrymen.

They made that joke on American Dad!. Stop stealing our humor.

[YOUTUBE]7R5A0pg4oN8[/YOUTUBE]

To the individual who said that America invented freedom you did not. It does sum up why people think Americans are arrogant dicks though.

I'm not Irish. Personally I like Americans it's just that some behave badly and you all get tarred with the same brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back