Another Student Denied Diploma

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-denied-diploma-for-using-hell-in-speech?lite

In short, she said "hell" in her valedictorian speech and the school won't give her her diploma. A few notes.

1. She was valedictorian.

2. These students were on average 18. You hear the word hell in G rated movies.

3. This speech was made in May. She was denied the diploma in August. Before she gets her diploma, she has to write an apology letter.

3a. What kind of school takes three months to give a diploma?

3b. Who is she apologizing to? The teachers? Younger students?

4. Really? This is the point we've reached?

I think both sides are being obstinate jackasses here. The school is being ridiculous because this woman worked hard for years to get her diploma. And the women is being ridiculous because all she has to do is write a short paragraph apologizing for offending people.

Too much ego, not enough common sense.

I think both sides are being obstinate jackasses here. The school is being ridiculous because this woman worked hard for years to get her diploma. And the women is being ridiculous because all she has to do is write a short paragraph apologizing for offending people.

I wouldn't write it. She's gotten a full ride to school and if they're going to be that absurd about it, I wouldn't really want the diploma. Yeah she could end this quickly though, which she more or less has by not taking the diploma.

It's a matter of principle. People can be offended by anything, it doesn't mean they're justified in it. She has nothing to say sorry for and I wouldn't either.

It's a matter of principle. People can be offended by anything, it doesn't mean they're justified in it. She has nothing to say sorry for and I wouldn't either.

I agree. For all we know, she probably said something like, "its been a helluva ride" or something close to that. I just hope this doesn't turn into a lawsuit.

I wouldn't write it.
Why not? If you truly did say something accidentally, as she claims, why not apologize?

When she wrote her speech and submitted it to the school, she had written the word "heck". When she gave the speech, she said hell. If she truly did it on accident, why would you not apologize?

I disagree completely. If you truly did not mean to say the word that offended people, why wouldn't you apologize? Are you telling me you've never said something in jest that offended a friend or a loved one? If you have, then you've probably apologized to them, because you didn't mean to offend them and you're trying to do the right thing.

This is not a matter of principle. This woman is not in the right. She's not in the wrong either, but she's not in the right. You stand upon principle when you are in the right. She changed the word from what was approved by the school ahead of time, to a word which offended people. She made a mistake. In what world should a person not apologize for a mistake, if it truly was a mistake?

I agree. For all we know, she probably said something like, "its been a helluva ride" or something close to that. I just hope this doesn't turn into a lawsuit.

If you research it, it's well documented what she said.

Kaitlin’s father David told KFOR in Oklahoma City, “Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said ‘How the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.’ He said the line was inspired by movie "Eclipse: The Twilight Saga," and that when Kaitlin submitted her speech to school officials, she used the word ‘heck’ but slipped in the actual speech.”
http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...nied-diploma-after-saying-hell-in-speech?lite

The damn brat needs to write that damn apology. She offended the school.

Should they be offended? Ehh, probably not. But what she said was not approved and could be construed as offensive. Since it was against what they approved and they don't like it, they have every right to hold onto everything and demand an apology, and the brat kid should do it. Hell, I'd be surprised if the college she is going to lets her in without any High School paperwork.

She needs to learn that the world doesn't center around her and she needs to do what she's told. If this was a work environment she'd be suspended or even fired. She's lucky she just has to write a stupid apology.

And worst of all is she said she was inspired by the Twilight movies. I mean really.

Why not? If you truly did say something accidentally, as she claims, why not apologize?

When she wrote her speech and submitted it to the school, she had written the word "heck". When she gave the speech, she said hell. If she truly did it on accident, why would you not apologize?

I wouldn't because it was so stupid I wouldn't have wanted to validate their ideas/opinions on it.

I wouldn't because it was so stupid I wouldn't have wanted to validate their ideas/opinions on it.

What's stupid? Graduation is full of elderly people, full of children. She said something which was not approved and obviously was considered offensive. She claims it was a mistake, why not apologize?

I don't understand what you're (meaning if you were in her place) trying to prove here.

What's stupid? Graduation is full of elderly people, full of children. She said something which was not approved and obviously was considered offensive. She claims it was a mistake, why not apologize?

I don't understand what you're (meaning if you were in her place) trying to prove here.

Prove? Nothing. I just don't see the need for her to apologize over something so small.

But it's obviously not small to some people. If it's small and insignificant to you, why not write it, especially since it was a mistake?

Because I already earned the diploma and am already starting college on a full ride. If people are offended by something that insignificant, I feel sorry for them but I wouldn't write out some formal apology. I'd probably say something like "I'm sorry if I offended someone. Can I have my diploma now?"

This is not a matter of principle. This woman is not in the right. She's not in the wrong either, but she's not in the right. You stand upon principle when you are in the right. She changed the word from what was approved by the school ahead of time, to a word which offended people. She made a mistake. In what world should a person not apologize for a mistake, if it truly was a mistake?

Principle can be a matter of opinion or personal integrity, being true to oneself (yuck) I believe it's called. I don't believe it was a mistake, I think it was quite intentional but then I believe that she shouldn't have been pre-emptively edited in the first place.
Just because people are offended, doesn't mean they have a right to censor or are justified in their outrage. The schools reaction is quite unacceptable, as is their determination to suppress any position or attitude contrary to their own.

Because I already earned the diploma and am already starting college on a full ride.
I agree. So why are you going to fight something which you consider insignificant?

If people are offended by something that insignificant, I feel sorry for them but I wouldn't write out some formal apology. I'd probably say something like "I'm sorry if I offended someone. Can I have my diploma now?"
Are you really telling me you can't spare enough time for a simple paragraph?

"On May 15th, I accidentally let slip a word I have since learned offended some people. To anyone I offended, I sincerely apologize and will strive to avoid similar mistakes in the future."

That took me 30 seconds.

I agree. So why are you going to fight something which you consider insignificant?

"On May 15th, I accidentally let slip a word I have since learned offended some people. To anyone I offended, I sincerely apologize and will strive to avoid similar mistakes in the future."

That took me 30 seconds.

And if she didn't believe she did anything wrong?

That took me 30 seconds.

I wouldn't fight it. I'd tell them to keep their diploma and leave. She graduated, she's out of the school, she's gotten accepted to the university and isn't paying a dime and if they're that uptight then let them keep it if it's that much of a principle to them. It's a piece of paper that she can't have because someone got offended over a teenage girl being excited after working hard for four years and said a single word. If that's such an offensive and huge ordeal to them, I wouldn't care if I had the paper or not.

I am having a hard time taking Sly seriously here. If it was him I doubt he would be writing that paragraph so easily. They specifically recite the reason she won't as she doesn't feel she did anything wrong. Sound like anyone you know?

If she didn't believe it was wrong, why did she change the word in the first place?

She was graduating from high school and had accomplished a lot of goals while doing them better than any one of her classmates. After all that she's at a celebration for her and her friends and she was excited. That's my guess.

In my yearbook the word "fuck" was left uncensored in my end of year quote, if I hadn't offended a couple people I'd have been somewhat disappointed in myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back