• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alex Riley's Finisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInfamousOne

The One And Only
Lately Alex Riley has been using the floating DDT as his finisher. Apparently this is a tribute to Edge. While I am a huge Edge fan, Riley doing the finsher looks terrible. It look so unimpactful each time I have seen him hit it. This got me to thinking and I went back and looked at some FCW/NXT footage of Riley. His finisher, "You're Dismissed" which is a Fireman's carry Cutter looks pretty good. I don't believe anyone is using it at the moment and i dont see to many people he wouldn't be able to hit it on. So the question is, Does he keep using the floating DDT or go back to the old finisher? I have included a little clip of him hitting it on Kaval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6mMyQuNc4

Man, I was thinking about making a thread about this, too.

I really don't get why they switched his finisher! Riley's kind of on fire right now, fans are behind him a surprising amount, but the conclusions of his matches are so underwhelming, because I don't think anyone realizes the match is over after he hits this pretty generic looking DDT. "You're Dismissed" is a much more impressive and recognizable move--once he hit it a few times, I think crowds would be much more fired up after his victories.

Plus, it looks way too similar to R-Truth's new finisher. IMHO.

I fully agree..........the new finisher is awful, and he struggles doing it almost every time. The only reason i can see why they changed it, is that several top guys have firemans carry finishers (punk-gts, cena -aa) and they didn't want to have a third. Still.....the DDT is not good.

It does look forced a lot and not effective and I will have to agree with both of you that it should be moved to his old one.

However, atleast to me watching him hit the spinebuster like he does is a piece of work. That most of the times look a hundred times more impactful then the finisher. It even looks better than HHH's at times.

Yeah, the DDT is not working for him. Whenever he hits it, I expect Miz to kick out. :shrug:

His old finisher on NXT worked pretty well, maybe even give him a different DDT variation(maybe reverse?).

I don't think his finisher is all that relevant, I mean Edge, who is arguably a better wrestler than Riley, used to use it, and his opponent always kicked out, but now when Riley uses it it's supposed to have a big impact on his oppenent and be considered a big match ender?

I mean honestly, if he wanted to pay tribute to Edge, he should have just wont with Edge's modified version of the shrapshooter, which was called the Edgucator or something along those lines, Edge made it seem like a match ender before he had to retire, so it's more relevant than the Edgecution.

The finisher he uses now needs some type of set up to it. Now, it seems as if he hits it from no where without any crowd reaction; the move is not over. Before he started using the move, Alex Riley should have acknowledged the fact that it's a tribute to Edge. Thus, establishing a bit of credibility with the move. The move isn't terrible, I actually like it. He looks good using it, it's believable, and could end a match without a doubt. But Alex Riley really needs to hype the finisher a few times before using it so quickly during a match.

@silrock316
I think it's unfair to say that. Loads of people helped The Miz get over at there expense and Alex Riley will clearly be a star one day. I think once The Miz is done with Riley, he'll get back to the main event, and Riley will join him.

Anyway, the finisher is terrible. I watch it and vomit. If he had done an Edge pose before the move, it would've been awesome. Then he should've hit Your Dismissed. Then again, he'll change as he develops.

Personally, I like Riley and I think he'll have a great future, as long as he changes that finisher. With that changed, he is almost the perfect superstar. The looks, the moveset, has had experience with big guys like John Cena, The Miz, Randy Orton and The Rock and the fan base.

Edge took the move from Gangrel anyway.. so it's not originally Edge's.. anyway, I didn't think Riley's looked that bad.. but I think he should just use the TKO as a finisher, last person I really remember using that was Marc Mero..

and I never really cared for people using a DDT as a finisher (unless you're Raven or Jake Roberts) because everyone uses it as a regular move these days anyway

yeah i dont like the new DDT. Edge used it merely as a set up for the spear. You could count on 1 hand the guys he actually pinned with it

But to be honest i really like his SpineBuster like someone above mentioned. I would much rather see him use that as a finisher then the TKO.

Its just more of a finisher that a face should have. He could hit it out of nowhere (ala RKO)

Edge took the move from Gangrel anyway.. so it's not originally Edge's.. anyway, I didn't think Riley's looked that bad.. but I think he should just use the TKO as a finisher, last person I really remember using that was Marc Mero..

and I never really cared for people using a DDT as a finisher (unless you're Raven or Jake Roberts) because everyone uses it as a regular move these days anyway

Thank you for calling the move by its actual name. A-Ri said "your dismissed" one time while delivering the move and now everyone calls it that. I have no clue why it pisses me off so much.

Any who. His version of the TKO looks weak as hell too. Maybe he should use a power bomb or some kind of neck breaker as his impact finisher. I also think he should use a submission such as the sharpshooter or cloverleaf.

I totally agree with the OP. I was actually just thinking the exact same thing while watching RAW last night. Pretty decent match going with the MitB participants, bunch of guys doing decent spots, and then Riley runs in.

-He has the tackle/spear thing that he does every match now, but it seems like the announcers weren't really ready for it. I think it was King who yelled "What a spear!!" when it was just him tackling whoever and punching him a few times. I know Riley used to play football, but he needs to decide what exactly that move is.

-I have never been a huge fan of anyone using the DDT as a finisher. The only person who I think does a decent one currently is Maryse. When you have move that other guys use as part of their normal arsenal and people kick out of all the time, it just doesn't seem believable (I know, it's wrestling, how believable is it supposed to be, but at least stick to the fake rules you've made up). Riley is on a push, he's kind of a bigger dude, he pulls of the spinebuster pretty convincingly, I feel like he needs a move that shows off his strengths better. The floating DDT just does not cut it.

Yes I hate that DDT as his finisher and would love to see him use the TKO as his finisher once again. The only people that made a DDT look like a legit damage inducing finisher are Arn Anderson, Jake Roberts, and Raven.

It's hard to get a new finisher that isn't already used by someone else. And many guys who debut or turn face or heel or whatever don't get good ones right off the bat.

Many guys start with a swinging neck breaker, or some kind of DDT, or some weird slam.

Someday Riley might get a good looking one, they just have to come up with it.

seeing how the crowd pops whenever comes in and spears someone, I think the spear could work well...he's an athletic guy, I think he played football, so the move makes sense for him....hell the spinebuster he uses could be his secondary finisher because it looks better than the DDT he uses

Man, I was thinking about making a thread about this, too.

I really don't get why they switched his finisher! Riley's kind of on fire right now, fans are behind him a surprising amount, but the conclusions of his matches are so underwhelming, because I don't think anyone realizes the match is over after he hits this pretty generic looking DDT. "You're Dismissed" is a much more impressive and recognizable move--once he hit it a few times, I think crowds would be much more fired up after his victories.

Plus, it looks way too similar to R-Truth's new finisher. IMHO.
Agree with this one hundred percent. I liked the F5 he used in NXT much better. But I liked his portion of the match last night. The spine buster and even though it is underwhelming, I like him giving Edge a tribute.

I have to say that his spinebuster looks simply devastating, and so does his spear/football tackle move. Both of those look like they'd crack a damn rib.

The current finisher needs polishing, or replacing, I have to agree.

IN THIS BUSINESS NO MOVE IS ANYBODY'S MOVE, THERE ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO USED IT BEFORE YOU, SO IT DOESN'T MATTER EDGE USED IT BEFORE.

AND AS FAR AS IF IT'S OVER OR NOT, HOW MANY TIME HE HAS BEEN USING IT? 2 MONTHS? GIVE HIM AND THE MOVE TIME TO GET OVER, IF HE CONTINUES TO USE IT AND WINS TITLES AND MATCHES WITH IT, I EXPECT TO SEE ALL OF YOU SAYING A LOT ABOUT THE MOVE AND HOW OVER HE IS, TIME TO GET OVER

The finisher is no good. He doesn't make it look or feel like it should end a match. Its over rated just like him and he will not be a superstar. Those same people who think he will are probably the same people who think evan bourne will be a world champ one day.

Nothing wrong with him doing the finisher, it just hasn't caught on yet. Given time, Alex Riley will become more over with the fans, and his finisher will in turn become over. It's a fine and suitable finishing move. It'll catch on.

Also, I think it looks believable enough. Remember, wrestling isn't based on realism. As long as the move seems impactful to the fans, that's all that matters, and eventually I think it will catch on.

As my 20 some odd years of watching pro wrestling (i call a spade a spade) i have always thought in my head when you hit your finisher it shows your ready to win the match ie.... hogans shitty leg drop even for how weak it was you know when he hit it, 95% of the time flush and clean and it going to be one two three, victory. If he takes some time practicing it, maybe ALOT more time, it will be a good move ONE DAY BUT THAT DAY IS NOT TODAY NOR 3 MONTHS FROM NOW.

i agree it does need replacing. Riley seems more like a power move guy, not an out-of-nowhere ddt guy.

have him do the jackhammer. i can really see him doing that well

a powerbomb of some sort (as previously mentioned) could work as well

everytime i've seen Riley try to hit that DDT it looks awful. Of course, i was real disapointed when i realized he was no longer using the TKO as his finisher. The moment i saw him use that move on Kaval on Nxt i liked it and in my opionion thats a huge downgrade from the TKO to the DDT. I mean he could still use the DDT in honor of EDGE but it should just be a part of his normal move set. I dont really like the spear and then punching but i can live with it. But i agree with everyone else, the spine buster is gold.. it reminds me of the spinebuster Rock uses before he drops the people's elbow. Riley also has a build like Rocks. But I'm not saying Riley is comparible to the Rock or at least yet. Anyways, back on point, yes he needs to go back to his old finisher or find a new one. But every star evolves over time. For example, Miz use to use a neckbraker, and now he has the Skull Crushing Finale so anything could happen.

way way too many people use the DDT as a finisher!!! His new finisher does indeed look weak and not very convincing!! TKO could work for him!! A-Ri is a big dude why not have him do a powerful move!! Maybe a running powerslam like Davey boy used to do!! Too bad the piledriver is banned or that could work also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back