• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A "Real" WWE Hall of Fame

sXeB34ST

To Define, Is To Limit
It's quite apparent to many of us that there is no real WWE Hall of Fame. You're given a plaque and a ring, and are solidified as a legend in mere status quot, and labeled such on WWE programming. However, how credible can that really be? How viable of a 'Hall of Famer' truly be if there isn't a literal Hall of Fame for the past WWE superstars?

In light of Bruno Sammartino's frequent decline of all WWE related offers, I believe this truly reenforces my point. I can still understand doing such for being honored by one of the greatest entertainment industries on this planet, however it really doesn't mean much at the end of the day. Bruno's stated on numerous occasions that there is no physical Hall of Fame, and it's the truth.

My questions are, how do you all feel about the Bruno Sammartino situation that's arose over the last several years? And how viable do you see a Hall of Fame induction being, if there's no physical Hall of Fame to visit for superstars, legends and fans alike?

we do have a wwe hall of fame (sort of) but what we really need is a pro wrestling hall of fame that all companies support. but i do agree that the wwe hall of fame is a bit of a joke at times when guys like Sammartino and Savage age not in it. it is about half and half - half legit people who should be there and the other half are guys that are there because it helps out business wise(someone from AWA or another company they bought out). as for an actual building, wwe has been working on that for years but i don`t know how eager they are to do it. look at wwe new york or wwe niagara falls - they were popular for a while but both are closed.

truthfully, we need a hall of fame that is for all companies and that places like tna and wwe will support. Sting is a great example - him going into the tna hall of fame is good but what about his time in wcw? sure, you can say he can go into the wwe hall of fame but it really does not make sense since he never worked for vince. buying the company does not mean you buy the legacy. and there is no longer a wcw hall of fame so that is not an option. in the end, no matter which one he was in, his legacy from the other is somewhat ignored and that is not fair. but a pro wrestling hall of fame would allow you to induct people based off of their history, not the company they work for. and it would mean a little more consistency with the people in it. you would not get guys being inducted simply because they worked someplace for 20 years.

You don't really think that Bruno declining the hall was because there isn't a physical location do you? It was obviously based on personal issues rather than being displeased he doesn't have a plaque in some random town. There is a reason plenty of wrestlers are moved to tears and have put disputes behind them to accept the induction. For one, money, and 2) because they do feel honored by it the way it is. As for an actual hall, it would be cool in theory but unless it's in the bottom floor of Titan Towers or something, I don't see it working. I don't know how many people travel to Canton for the Hall but I don't see many wrestling fans traveling anywhere for a hall of fame. If they had some memorabilia on the bottom floor of their building they can run it for low cost but to rent out anywhere would be a waste.

I dont see how difficult it would be for the WWE to open up a HOF building in CT by their headquaters. I mean how much would it cost for then to have it? a couple of million at most? they would make it back within a yr or so. I think not having a physical HOF to visit kinda hurts the fact bc theres nothing to go and see.

Whether a Hall of Fame is physical or not it doesn't really matter considering how viable it is or not. At this point I don't think it means too much, the WWE Hall of Fame that is. Ultimately the decision is based on who is in charge so politics play a huge part in who gets inducted. Look at Randy Savage, he's not in but there's no question he deserves it more than lets say Koko B. Ware or 90% of the current inductees. Whether its "real" or not doesn't really matter, its still honoring wrestlers and personnel who are deserving to be in the HOF. Besides I hear they are planning on making a physical HOF as it is.

With Bruno not being inducted I frankly think it has to do with his volatile relationship with Vince (same with Randy Savage). I know Bruno has been asked several times but keeps turning them down. When Vince steps down from being the boss I think Bruno will finally get in there. From interviews I've seen with Bruno his biggest issue with Vince is that he doesn't feel Vince treats the legends that helped build the WWE with respect, don't know if that's true but that's how he feels. Bruno said he would go in if Vince showed him the same respect as all the celebrities that get involved with the WWE from time to time. It pisses Bruno off that someone like Piper will come in and get paid a grand for an appearance but someone like Mike Tyson will get paid 6 figures for doing the same thing, he feels its a slap in the face to all legends who busted their ass for Vince and help build his empire.

I think Bruno will be in when Vince steps down. Triple H will come in, show Bruno respect (Bruno apparently likes Triple H) and Bruno will go in, I think it comes down to the fact that Bruno don't like Vince.

At one time, they were takling about the possibility of having it in Orlando, Florida. I haven't heard much more about it, but I think it would be a good thing to have. As for the whole Bruno thing, he clearly hasn't gotten over his issues that he has with WWE, and he may never. He would definiately be a great addition to the Hall of Fame!!

we do have a wwe hall of fame (sort of) but what we really need is a pro wrestling hall of fame that all companies support.

There is a Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. It is located in Amsterdam, NY. Their website is here: http://www.pwhf.org.

As to the OP, I know it had been discussed in the past to create an actual WWE Hall of Fame building (I remember reading it was mentioned for either Stamford or Tampa, FL). I don't think having a building really matters, because the WWE does their induction as a way to honor the wrestler's accomplishments. At least Bruno was cordial enough to talk to Triple H about the induction possibility. That's a huge step considering some of the reports of the animosity between Bruno and Vince.

They wwe fall of fame is a joke. They need to stop inducting losers like the blackjacks. Only the best of the best should be in the hall of fame.

Split it into 2 sections. 1 for the actual greats like Hogan, flair, austin etc. And the other side have the celebirties/jobbers like the blackjacks, koko b ware etc.

I find it a disgrace to put so many undeserving people into it.

First, the WWE HOF is a pro wrestling HOF, IT IS NOT FOR WWE ONLY SUPERSTARS. If it was then a whole lot of current inductees who totally deserve to be there would not be in, including Steamboat, The Von Erichs, Dusty Rhodes (anyone who watched wrestling in the 80s knows only Hogan was more popular for the decade as a fan fave than Big Dust), Nick Bockwinkle, & Verne Gagne, Harley Race too. Vince has done the right thing for the industry's history and its best performers by including these people in the HOF. Of course Vince makes $$ from it selling DVDs, etc to fans that otherwise would not be supporting his product but regardless of how much of his motivation is monetary and how much is honorable, Vince is 100% correct in honoring wrestling's heritage, not just WWEs heritage since he took over.

There is also the fact that if WWE didnt honor these people the HOF would be a total joke. Imagine a HOF without Flair, Rhodes, The LOD, Gagne, honestly why bother. Vince is smart enough to know that without credibility there is no "honor" in induction. I for one would have no interest at all in a HOF that limits induction to your WWE career (if you had one). Thats like if baseball only honored players from the National League.

I have heard that WWE wants to build a physical HOF. I would expect at some point they will, especially since Vince & Co own the video footage to every wrestling TV program and PPV in the US since at least the early 70s.

Bruno Sammartino's feud with Vince is well documented. He blamed Vince for firing his son in the 80s for drugs while keeping other wrestlers on the roster with similair issues (Duggan & Iron Shiek busted for possession, Anvil Neidhart arrested for assault, etc). Bruno also claimed Vince continually tried to force him into active wrestling in the 80s after he wanted to retire, promising his son promotinal pushes that never came. Years later Bruno publicly eviscerated Vince for his "trash" TV during the Attitude Era. Bruno has never shied away from being critical of Hogan (lousy performer, selfish), Flair (too repetitive), Austin (horrible character symbolizing WWEs innappropriate programming). He's publicly called Vince a liar & a crook. Have Vince & WWE tried to patch things up in ordes to get Bruno in the HOF ? I believe they have. After all, Vince has made peace for the sake of good business after bad blood with Hogan, Brett Hart, Austin, and others. Vince could induct Bruno without his consent but that would only invite Bruno to get more publicity trashing WWE, its top stars, etc. Not what Vince wants Im sure.

No one knows why Savage hasnt been inducted. Over the years several wrestlers have stated in interviews that they dont know the reason for "bad blood" between Vince & Savage. No doubt Savage had many serious issues with Hogan but Hart had or has legit heat with Hogan, Flair, HBK, HHH, & Vince but once he was ammenable to returning he was inducted. No doubt both deserve induction, I believe at some point they will be unless their families absolutely fight against it.

As for Sting, he was a tremendously talented, charismatic performers of all time. a huge draw, he almost singlehandedly kept WCW afloat after Flair, Luger, LOD, Sid, etc all left. His televised main event vs Flair in 1988 at the 1st Clash of Champions drew huge ratings and reportedly cost WWE several million dollars in lost revenue from their WrestleMania PPV, to the point that McMahon threatened cable operators that he wouldnt allow them to carry future WWE PPVs if they didnt pressure Ted Turner to never air another TV special opposite his PPV (ironic since WWE purposefully aired the 1st Royal Rumble special on USA opposite the Bunhouse Stampede PPV 3 months earlier). Sting's Starrcade 97 match vs Hollywood Hogan was a high water mark in the mega success of the NWO angle and helped lift the show to the most watched PPV of the year. A HOF without him is a joke. Since Vince and WWE prefer inductees to appear during the ceremony. Since Sting is under contract to TNA he will likely get his moment when he retires. Hopefully he will get a much deserved retrospective DVD also.

Should WWE honor all of wrestling with it's HOF ? Yes, it would be an insult to both the wrestlers and the fans and lack credibility if they didnt. Should Bruno & Savage be inducted ? Definately, but their exclusion may have more to do with themselves than Vince McMahon. Should WWE build a real HOF ? Yes, but rumor has it they are planning it.

As for a location for an actual HOF building, the best location would be a city that already has major attraction to tourists, IE New York, Chicago, Orlando (thanks to Disney). As popular as wrestling is, I dont think a stand alone facility in a small place like Cooperstown (baseball) or Canton (football) would draw enough visitors on its own to be viable. However, in a major tourist city a wrestling HOF would get people in the area for other reasons who would visit since they are already there in addition to die hard fans who would visit regardless of location.

I also agree, how the hell are they gonna have Drew Carey in it before Randy Savage?! You have to put people who contributed a lot to the WWE in the hall. Not guys like Drew, Koko, etc.

What the heck is taking WWE so long to construct a physical Hall of Fame? For me that would be the only reason I would care. I'm 99% sure it's just a matter of time before one is erected (Ahem) then I will look at it as a big deal. I heard that it was going to be in Tampa which I would be excited for since I live 30 min away lol. But my Tampa bay rays ain't exactly rocking crazy attendance so maybe a bigger city would be more prudent.

WWE HoF is a current means to promote DVDs that WWE actually makes decent amount of money off, unlike their movie ventures. It is a nice little get-to-gether with the boys and a way for Vince to rule his power beyond his current roster, afterall you get sick of jobbing guys around and treating everyone like crap, how many times can you make Slater, Ryder, Miz, Swagger and all the other guys look like absolute geeks before it loses its luster?

This allows Vince just another means of wielding his power. By putting in celebs such as Drew and former boxing champion like Tyson, they are just hoping to get some media attention to spike up that PPV buy ever so slightly.

On this whole Bruno situation, he actually ends up looking like a much bigger star by declining WWE HoF, it gives the vibe off "I know i am a legend i dont need you" thing going on.

Bruno should have been one of the first guys in there easily, i suppose for him, when he's sitting there seeing guys like Drew Carey, who've contributed pretty much nothing to wrestling get inducted it must make him frustrated.

In a way i suppose Vince doesnt pay more attentoin to guys like Morales and Sammartino etc.

You don't really think that Bruno declining the hall was because there isn't a physical location do you?

Of course I'm more than aware the reason was differences with the brass that operates the corporation, not so much the physical absence of a proper Hall of Fame building. Though, I never in my initial post said such and you're statement is out of context. Bruno, however, has stated "How credible can something be if it technically doesn't even exist." And with that rationale alone, I think you're honing in on what I specifically said more than what you should be centered on; being the question at hand.

No hard feelings, however, as the initial statement was indeed vaguely phrased.

I also agree, how the hell are they gonna have Drew Carey in it before Randy Savage?! You have to put people who contributed a lot to the WWE in the hall. Not guys like Drew, Koko, etc.

Well there is a simple answer to this question. death. Randy Savage hated Vince and would have never agree to go to the WWE hall of Fame, but since he was dead Randy couldn't do anything about it.

As for a Real hall of fame, if you have never been to one they take a serious amount of upkeep and that means to stay a float they need to make money. Statistics need to be posted, busts need to be made. something has to be put in place that is visible for fans. This means investment to what end, if the fame goes under the WWE looks like a joke.

If the WWE wants to make it work this is how you do it.

1) Find a place in a major city ( wwe needs the draw)

2) The Hall needs to be place in a location big enough to hold the hall, statics board ( most wins, Submission wins etc). Also this arena needs to hold 500 -1000 people. ( tell me it won't work TNA does it each week)

3) Each year prior to WWE's Wrestlemania their is a event held specifically for this event. Ticket prices start at about 300$. You use this to see how many people show. if the scalpers are out in force then you raise the price next year.

4) Instead of having the induction ceremonies at WM have them held at the Hall's location. Fans will pay to get there and then pay to meet and greet the Hall of Famers afterwards. Tickets for the ceremony, tickets to get in the hall, and then Merch. if you add in the Event, tickets and Merch you will cover the cost of the Hall.

5) Stop inducting people on the whim. those deserving get in.

6) Having a list of people that want to get in then have a current HoF vote and a fan vote. the fan vote can be by texting like some idol show does. More money

7) Have the hall of fame inductees, Sign autographs once a month ( a different guy or girl each month) This will draw fans (some) to the event. Everyone has a favorite and would go see them if they never had.

That complete's your WWE Hall of Fame and allows the WWE to not cut in to the profit margin to keep the Hall afloat.

When you consider how there are only a few wrestlers in the hall then, as it stands, what they do at Axxess is sufficient for now. It was cool walking around the HOF section this year and seeing classic ring stuff and videos/entrance attire and the like. When there's a fair few more then it'd be worth it.

Also, though the WWE HQ is in Stanford they don't really have a location that is THE WWE place. Sure MSG is the star arena but that's hardly exclusive to WWE. The Arsenal stuff is at the Emirates Stadium because that's our home ground, would make sense to do it that way (when they can finally get it to at least turn even)

I fault several people for Bruno not being in the Hall, and this includes Vince & Bruno. I don't really know the whole story behind everything but I'm sure knowing McMahon, he pissed Bruno off and that Italian swore a blood oath to never be inducted (no offense to Italians but Bruno is Italian).

He does have a point though. The WWE Hall of a Fame is a HOF only by name. That's it. There's no physical Hall that fans can go to where they can see championship belts, old WWE/WCW PPV Posters, members making appearances, nothing. It's just a designated weekend that has honestly 95% of some guys who doesn't belong and then maybe 1 or 2 big names. The list of stars who AREN'T in who deserves to be in, no matter where they wrestled or who they wrestled for is enough to create another HOF and make it a viable one at that.

Sammartino also probably feels that maybe Vince needs to come to him personally instead of HHH, IDK so don't quote me on that. But not having the 2 longest reigning WWWF champions in the Hall is like not having Elway & Marino in the NFL HOF or Michael Jordan and Bill Russell in the NBA HOF. It makes no sense. I'm not saying Bruno is a Jordan, but honestly, he DID help to create the WWWF out of nothing and Backlund (the other former champion I'm mentioning) had some classic matches with Flair, Harley Race, Superstar Billy Graham and countless others. It's ignorant to not have these guys (as well was Randy Savage among others).

But as far as The Living Legend, he's being a prick I think for the sake of undermining McMahon and the WWE. Okay Bruno, we know you're mad at McMahon, but who else has Vince screwed before? Damn near everybody. Hell, he fucked over Bret Hart on live TV, and went on TV two weeks later to say Bret Screwed Bret. I mean Jesus, Bret accepted what happened and eventually got over it and moved on. Bruno, you're beef is like 30 years old. Let it go dude. And if it's recent events, be a man, not some girl and iron that out. The fans deserve to hear from you because honestly as much as you helped the WWWF in its beginning stages, it was those fans who packed Madison Square Garden night after night to see your kick, stomp, punch, repeat routine. I mean, you were the longest reigning, but that's where the Legend stops, IMO.

Do I see him getting in? No. Not because they don't want him, but because he wants to play hardball and be a prick & a self centered jerk who believes his own press. Too bad. Maybe in death he'll get in. Figures the majority of the guys are going in that way anyway...

There should be a real WWE Hall of Fame. The problem is that there is a lot of wrestlers that were put in there in a rush job yet others who should have have been delayed. People who have been put in fast were Eddie Guerrero, Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair (I am not saying that they did not deserve it just that they were put in really fast after their last matches).

As for the Hall of Fame it is easy to say New York, etc. But what about Hartford? Besides being the headquarters for there for years it would draw people there and show respect to Hartford.

A physical Hall of Fame featuring statues of the Hall of Famers and items related to them inside a glass cabinet or something would make it much more real and much more interesting. A building in Hartford, CT or New York, NY would be the best place really. I think a huge building should be put in place, like a museum, which also features the physical Hall of Fame. I think it would be an awesome idea and would make the Hall of Fame more credible.

As for Bruno Sammartino, I personally think no superstar needs a Hall of Fame induction, but hardly any casual fan watching today will have a clue who he is, and many other old WWE superstars, so in that respect, the Hall of Fame is a chance to bring them back and get the casual fans learning more and more about the history of the company. If he wishes to decline, fair enough, but I think it would do his legacy better if he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back