• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Major Heel Turn.... soon?

keehlnate

Rise Above Hate
With CM Punk giving up his spot as the "top heel" of WWE by turning face again, there should be someone filling up that role. Someone who can show up on a regular basis and can go on antagonizing with major feuds like what CM Punk just did. So who do you think is the next top heel?

Brock Lesnar - while he can easily fill up that role, he won't do that on a regular basis. He is a special attraction afterall, just picking his spots so he can't be the next top heel.

Curtis Axel - obviously, even with Paul Heyman, he is too young to be in that role.

Randy Orton - Perhaps that most safe and plausible choice. Randy Orton has been shelved, but well maintained for quite some time now. He is just waiting for the go signal.

Dolph Ziggler - With how he was booked, a face turn will be more logical than going through the top heel route.

Alberto del Rio - I believe there is a limit on how much Del Rio can be as a heel, and I don't think he can fill up that role.

Daniel Bryan - Perhaps the unpredictable candidate but plausible. A sudden turn from being the most amusing superstar in the roster can work for him.

Ryback - Like Del Rio, I believe this guy has a limit on what he can do as a heel. And besides, he just got beaten by Cena so no, he can't.

The Shield - while WWE is slowly and safely building them for that role, they are not ready.

Mark Henry - he had his time from his WHC title run, and I don't know where he can go from here after (possibly) beating Cena. And I believe this is his last feud before he really go.

Sheamus - Much like Orton, he is shelved but well-maintained for quite sometime. But I am not sold to believe that he can be the top heel.

Chris Jericho - I believe jobbing to some stars since his return somehow affected his credibility to take that major role.

John Cena - the best choice, but won't happen.

Curtis Axel will be 34 in October. He is far from a spring chicken.

I would like to see John Cena finally turn heel. That heel turn though should be saved for Wrestlemania though as it will be a huge turn and has to be handled correctly. As for the current, there really is no one. Maybe Mark Henry but he is a heel already.

I think you should have titled this "TOP HEEL" instead of "HEEL TURN".....

They could go the Bray Wyatt route. The could just continue the Shield's domination. Orton would be the most logical choice, he could easily turn hard on Daniel Bryan by getting sick of hearing about the weakest link thing.

Orton's turn is probably the most logical one. They may have already planted the seed with him using the Punt Kick on the Big Show at Extreme Rules, with Show(apparently) turning face after. A Punt Kick to Daniel Bryan once he's had enough of Bryan's weak link crap would certainly set the wheels spinning on that. What happened after the Orton-Bryan match on Raw would be a little confusing, though.

Curtis Axel will be 34 in October. He is far from a spring chicken.

I would like to see John Cena finally turn heel. That heel turn though should be saved for Wrestlemania though as it will be a huge turn and has to be handled correctly.

Think he meant the character that is Curtis Axel, not Joe Hennig. But, if they build him right, maybe he can be WWE's top heel or thereabouts come the new year and beyond.

Also, Cena turning would be a *huge* turn. Comparisons to Hogan's turn with the nWo would certainly be made. So, yeah, they really do have to handle it carefully if they ever plan on going down that route.

Randy Orton AND The Shield.

WWE has to have someone like Randy Orton step up into the heel role, but I think Shield will be right there as the top heel's in the game.

I'm doubting Cena will ever turn heel.

There was talk of turning Jericho heel either at or right after Payback, but it didn't happen. I'd keep Jericho face as it just feels much fresher for him. Generally speaking, Jericho has been a heel for the last several years and given that his current role is, for the most part, putting over younger stars while still maintaining his own high level of stock in the company; being a face works best in my opinion.

Orton is probably the safest, as has been mentioned, choice. He might also be the most likely choice. The past few weeks, WWE has teased the Orton heel turn that a lot of fans, and Orton himself, have wanted to see for quite a while. It was announced on Main Event last night that Bryan will face Orton in a return match from Raw on SmackDown!, whereas it was originally scheduled for Bryan vs. Ambrose. Depending on what happens in that match, Orton could possibly turn. If Bryan winds up winning that match, I think it'll lead to a rubber match that happens either on Raw this Monday or at the MITB ppv in which Orton will fully turn.

As for Daniel Bryan, I could see WWE turning him heel as part of this "weak link" angle but, I personally think it'd be a mistake. Right now, Bryan is the hottest thing in wrestling and the babyface response he's been getting the past 6 weeks or so have been right there with the likes of Cena, Punk and Orton. Right now, again just my opinion, there's too much upside for Bryan as a babyface because fans WANT to cheer for him.

Ziggler's off this list because, according to reports, WWE is going forward with a babyface push for him. One reason for this has been the response Ziggler got at Payback and from his attack on Del Rio this past Monday on Raw. Like Daniel Bryan, people want to cheer for Ziggler right now and it's too obvious to ignore.

I don't see Del Rio being the top heel overall. I do think that we've seen some fresh life injected into Del Rio as he gave his best promo in WWE in quite some time. Ultimately, however, I think Del Rio is going to be built well as a solid heel champion over the next couple of months before ultimately dropping the strap back to Ziggler. As a result, Ziggler will finally get that strong run as WHC, only as a babyface.

I think Sheamus going heel would be a welcome change. I like Sheamus, I have since he was moved from ECW to Raw because I saw the potential he had. I enjoy Sheamus much, much more, however, as a heel. I just think he's flat out better and more interesting as a heel than as the jovial, somewhat laid back Irish lug babyface we've seen. I don't see Sheamus as the top heel right now, but maybe a little later down the line.

As far as Ryback goes, I think it's sort of up in the air at this point in time. The only way I see Ryback becoming the top heel in WWE, at least at least anytime in the near future, is if he winds up winning the WWE Championship MITB ladder match, successfully cashes it in against John Cena and has a strong heel run in which he fends off some major challenges.

Curtis Axel is someone that I don't see being the top heel anytime soon. Right now, with Paul Heyman at his side, I think WWE's best chance to show that Axel has the potential in the long run is to give him a strong heel run as IC champ. The title has been effectively buried since the night after the Royal Rumble and has taken poor Wade Barrett with it. WWE has an opportunity to elevate both the strap and Axel while eliminating the kiss of death aura that's surrounded the IC title spot for the past several months.

The Shield are exactly where they need to be. They've been established as a dominant force in WWE for the past 7 months roughly, so giving them strong title runs in their current spots is the next logical step. They're all three quite young with a lot of promise, but now's not the right time for either of them to be the next top heel.

Brock Lesnar can't really be the "top" heel in the WWE because he's only around a few times every couple of months. Brock Lesnar is a special attraction WWE trots out whenever they want to help jack up ppv buys because Lesnar has no interest whatsoever in anything that really approaches even a part time schedule. Using Lesnar in this manner has paid off for WWE because he's contributed significantly to the buys of every show he's been part of.

Mark Henry gave an incredible performance on Raw this past Monday. He had me completely fooled once I saw tears in his eyes & streaming down his face and once I could hear that hitch in his voice. Henry has been great for the past few years, yet we keep underestimating him out of habit I suppose. Ultimately though, I mostly just see Mark Henry as someone to fill up some time for John Cena over the next month or two. I'd be thrilled to see Henry get a strong heel run as WWE Champion, however.

Speaking of Cena, a heel turn for Cena would immediately generate a massive buzz and would instantly make him the "top" heel in the company. However, as much as some dislike it, John Cena as a babyface has proven very profitable for WWE and that's something that no wrestling company with any degree of common sense can simply ignore. If WWE had plans to turn Cena, turning him while he was feuding with The Rock and/or following his loss to The Rock at WM 28 would have been the ideal time. However, for those still holding onto the desperate hope that Cena will go heel at some point, there's talk of Cena being the one to challenge The Undertaker at WM XXX. Against Taker, Cena is going to be booed by most fans even if WWE books it as a face vs. face encounter. So if WWE wanted him to turn heel, doing so against Taker would also be an ideal opportunity to do so. If WWE goes through with Taker vs. Cena, then I expect Cena to drop the WWE Championship sometime fairly or extremely late this year and such a loss could be used to facilitate a slow turn, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

WWE doesn't need anymore heels, they have far too many already who are becoming likable because of the issue. As far as filling Punk's heel vacancy, Punk has been gone a while and they didn't really do so then did they? So why would they do so now? Anyway, for me, I don't even feel like WWE consists of faces and heels anymore. Whoever the crowd like, WWE make likable even with heel characteristics. But the funny thing is, right now in WWE the top heel is Alberto Del Rio. That's hilarious. I'll just say, I see Cena, Punk and Ziggler being the top 3 faces this year. And Orton, Lesnar (If they can use him properly) and The Shield as a stable as the top heels. Can't see much else. Oh, Henry aswell. Wyatt Family needs time, Axel is 34 so if he's getting a push he'll need to draw heat fast.

Ziggler, Ryback, and Henry are the most plausible choices from the names you listed. Ziggler's injury may sideline him for some time which makes it less likely that WWE would make him take up such a huge role. Henry definitely has the years behind him to be a credible heel but he doesn't seem over enough to take on the roll. Then theres Ryback. His lack of wins at ppvs isn't doing him any favors, but he is the most over heel on the roster and could inconspicuously slip into the role. However, considering his program with Cena has evidently run its course, I wouldn't count on it. Honestly, I'm not bold enough to make a prediction because knowing WWE it'll be a spur of the moment decision and it could possibly be someone no one is expecting at all.

There was talk of turning Jericho heel either at or right after Payback, but it didn't happen. I'd keep Jericho face as it just feels much fresher for him. Generally speaking, Jericho has been a heel for the last several years and given that his current role is, for the most part, putting over younger stars while still maintaining his own high level of stock in the company; being a face works best in my opinion.

I agree. Further, his frequent absences from WWE make him more believable as a face. A heel needs to be on hand all the time, performing his dastardly deeds on unsuspecting good guys week after week. Meanwhile, a guy who comes in and out of the roster is better off as a face. If he's as well-regarded as Chris Jericho, fans are going to cheer when he comes back just because they're glad to see him again. Look at C.M. Punk; when he took his vacation, he was as reviled a villain as could be, right? But the company knew damn well what his reception would be upon return, especially since they staged it in his home town of Chicago.

Same thing with Jericho. He can put upcoming stars over while claiming some big victories himself, but it's far more feasible if he does it as a face. He can go from WWE to Fozzy to WWE.....and still be cheered to the rafters whenever he does.

Of course, when you've reached the legendary status of a Chris Jericho and possess his flexibility of character, you can do the heel bit, too. I'd be surprised if a lot of the roster doesn't envy him. On the other hand, if anyone dares to complain, I would think Vince McMahon would tell the guy he can have Jericho's privileges when he's had Y2J's accomplishments.

This is just basically a fantasy, but I'd love it if after MITB, post-raw, John Cena (If Cena comes out as champion that is) issued a challenge to anyone backstage, everything goes silent for a few seconds then boom, Batistas music hits and he comes out as a heel, eventually ending with Cena dropping the title

I suspect that the major heel turn is, in fact, happening and it isn't a wrestler - it's within the hierarchy and the major heel that are going to emerge will be Vince who can use the heels currently on the card (like the Shield, Heyman's guys, Henry, Ryback, Del Rio etc) to go after the main guys and, at the same time, forward the feud they are building between him and Trips.

As for Daniel Bryan, I could see WWE turning him heel as part of this "weak link" angle but, I personally think it'd be a mistake. Right now, Bryan is the hottest thing in wrestling and the babyface response he's been getting the past 6 weeks or so have been right there with the likes of Cena, Punk and Orton. Right now, again just my opinion, there's too much upside for Bryan as a babyface because fans WANT to cheer for him.

That is why Daniel Bryan is a plausible candidate for the top heel spot. He is the most over guy in the roster and turning him will definitely gain a lot of reaction. He just need a shocker that will propel him to that position like how CM Punk flatten out The Rock on RAW 1000th.

Not to mention his upgraded moveset that can make an instant classic on main-eventing those PPVs.

Del Rio, Henry, Ryback, and to an extent, Lesnar are the main heels right now. There is a second tear of talented guys such as Barrett, Sandow, Rhodes, Axel, Cesaro and Jack Swagger.

For me the "top heel" cannot be Lesnar for he is on a part-time contract. Henry is ageing; Swagger/Cesaro are in a stable; Ryback and Del Rio are just not good enough to be the "top heel".

In my opinion, the next top heel that should replace CM Punk should be Wade Barrett. He has proven that he can put on good matches; he is good on the microphone; and he plays the role of heel very well. He is definitely not as good as CM Punk but with the right booking and now he has dropped the IC Title he can be the main heel for the company.

I hope it's Randy Orton who turns heel. I don't mind Orton as a face but I do find it a bit boring and I much prefer him as a heel. As a heel he has many potential feuds with the likes of Punk, Bryan, Kane, Dolph, Jericho, RVD, Sheamus and it's been years since the Cena and Orton feud. But as a face there doesn't look to be as many guys he can feud with. Even turning Orton heel there's not much money that's going to be lost because Cena, Punk and Bryan will make that money. So for me the sooner Orton turns heel the better because it's a little overdue.

But I am worried that WWE may turn Bryan heel. I can see this happening because, I don't agree with much Madden says but, there is a glass ceiling. But I only see benefits of keeping Bryan face. He's super over with the fans and it looks as though he can sell merchandise like a true star. His current storyline is also very entertaining. So I really hope they don't turn Bryan heel.

John Cena: Yes of course i would love to see him go heel who the hell wouldnt. The return of the Doctor of Thuganomics would most definitely be a breath of fresh air. But he makes way too much in terms of merch sales,Kids love him to pieces,he has granted more make-a-wish wishes than any other athlete ever.. He is the no1 guy in the company. A heel turn would need to happen slowly and surprising. WM30 would be the perfect time to turn him heel but i just dont see it happening.

Jericho:I enjoy him as a babyface i do. He is one of the guys one of the few that can play both roles to satisfactory levels,and the old saying been there done that applies to him playing a heel. I might be in the minority but unless he was back full time i have no desire to see him as a heel..

Ryback: Well he is most definitely much better in his role now than as Feed me More chants. He is believable as a heel a monster no doubt. But unless he wins MITB and cashes on a Prone Cena or Henry then i just dont see it happening..

Sheamus: Ahhh this is annoying. I miss King Sheamus,the guy that just trashed HHH at ER a few years back. Made him miss the rest of the year gave him such a beatdown. This Jovial,Golly oh shucks Irishman is just not doing it for me. Sheamus operates better as a heel. If they turn Sheamus heel,i say let him run with it. Hes young,and if they make him a heel,sheamus has the potential of being the Top heel in wrestling in a quick time.

Orton: Probably the most logical choice,as his mentioned heel turn has been coming for a bit now. We all thought it was gonna happen at WM,then at ER,most definitely at Payback. But so far no heel turn for the Viper. Why? Well,it could be the WWE doesnt have faith in Orton that he can stay clean and check his attitude at the door. Orton IMO should be the WHC now not ADR,and could be the no1 or 2 heel in the company. But once a company loses faith in you,it is damn there impossible to regain that trust back.

Mark Henry:Oh man he is already a heel,but IMO he is the top heel in the company. His oscar winning performance on Raw had everyone eating crow that night. BIg ol humble slices. Henry is brilliant,he needs the WWE title to his already HOF resume just to stamp that bitch.

Elevate Rhodes. He's got a great moveset and can work w/anybody even making Khali look decent. Rhodes is good on the stick and can capture the imagination of the WWE Universe. Cody just needs a push and the company to get behind him.

Orton is the obvious standout choice to me, he's been treading water since he dropped the WHC to Henry in 2011 and he's openly admitted he wants to be a heel again. I think the well is dry for him as a face and it's never been as successful for him as his heel persona even though he gets big pops, storyline-wise it's just never quite panned out, his epic feuds have been when he's a heel.

Sheamus could do with a turn as his current character is basically a second rate Cena with an Irish accent. A big cartoon blusterer that really comes off as corny, but somehow I think WWE are content to just let him tread water as a face they can push into a title match here and there.

Cena wouldn't go heel nore does Bryan or Sheamus. I even have the balls to say that Cena doenst need to go heel(at least right now).

My money would be on Orton or Ryback. Bryan has a good thing coming as the face and Orton didnt had anything meaningfull to do for years and Ryback is a heel anyway and they did invest a lot in him anyway...

The WWE has been pushing Ryback to the brink for the past year now, only for him to fall short. He has the tools to be a top heel and decent enough mic skills to pull it off. But I think eventually the fans are just going to get tired of him as a whole, if they haven't already.

Orton is the logical choice, since his heel turn has been talked about for months now. The way his character is set up, it's more built for the heel anyway. I was glad to see that it could work as a face, but it's time to change him back and let his character thrive as the 'bad guy'.

If anyone is going to turn heel it is going to be Orton. But I don't know if its just me but I really, really don't want to see him turn heel, he gets the third best pop under Daniel Bryan and I've always loved Orton. Either way he'll make it work.

I wouldn't say CM Punk or Ziggler was a face YET, more like tweeners, and neither of them might not actually turn face, stranger things have happened in the WWE, so there might not be a top heel spot to fill, will just need to see what happens I guess.

looks like the major heel turn is almost a gurantee to whoever wins the mitb all star match. Breaking down the participants:

RVD - will WWE give him that role considering that he came from the other show? I don't think so.

Christian - possible but unlikely. They might give him this one for his "glorious exit" but I don't think Christian is in that stage yet. Besides, he got some score to settle with Ambrose.

Sheamus - Nah. Stay as face fella.

Daniel Bryan - interestingly plausible.

Kane - the strength of Kane is that his character is versatile whether he is a face or a heel. But will they give him that "embrace the hate" line against John Cena again? I don't think so.

CM Punk - unlikely since he just turned face and a major angle with Lesnar.

Randy Orton - perhaps the best candidate. If WWE plans to turn him heel, this is the chance. And besides, Orton hasn't won the MITB ladder match yet.

I think Kane should have stayed Heel like when he came back for Cena. I will say his outfit still looks like shit but the mask is nice and ge could have put black paint around his eyes. He would have been vicious had he stayed Heel IMO. Hope we see a dominant Heel turn soon for the Big Red Monster

Orton should be top heel already right now but they keep holding off on Orton's heel turn for some reason but Orton has been needing a heel turn ever since 2012 but here is hoping WWE finally, finally pulls that trigger because it just needs to happen

Randy Orton.
I would love to see him go back to a more vicious character. He has been wrestling much more aggressively in the past month. His matches against Daniel Bryan, and the one on RAW last week against C.M. Punk have been great. He has been proven to be a pretty good heel. I would like to see a mix of his most recent heel persona and the legend killer.

Curtis Axel
He isn't that great on the mic, but he isn't horrible. With Paul Heyman as a mouthpiece, I could see him rise up through the ranks as a viable threat to John Cena.

Sheamus
I really liked Sheamus as a Heel, but he is extremely over as a face, almost to a Cena point, where turning him heel wouldn't be a very smart business decision

Daniel Bryan
I feel that He and Orton are the best bets. He was a very entertaining heel as World Champion on SmackDown a few years back. I would like to see a less comedic heel though. It would be hard to make him a believable contender against Cena, or any other face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back