48.7's thread of taughty, narrow minded ignorance

Ok, I'm not a religious guy by any means, nor am I incrediably well educated on this but common sense should tell you the Bible was written as a tool to help spread the word of god, it was inspired by god and written for individual interpretation, it was not written by god, people who follow the Bible so blindly should really do a little research, there is plenty of shit online to prove all the things people have been saying in this thread about the Bible and it's translations, interpretations, etc. you just have to know what to look for and keep an open mind

and yes Lee, it is believed Jesus may have studied Buddhism, form what I've read it's believed he may have studied it in the 30 or so "lost years" that he's not mentioned in the Bible

agree there, especially the bit people use to say it's the word of god literal is in itself a bible verse. It's like me writing a book and saying yeh this is all the word of god, it's cool because I write it in the book it's about

and yes Lee, it is believed Jesus may have studied Buddhism, form what I've read it's believed he may have studied it in the 30 or so "lost years" that he's not mentioned in the Bible

The guy was a jew, jews would only have studied Judaism

See there's is where ignorance from your side comes in, christianity is an extension of Judaism, which is the second oldest religion (hinduism is the first) I also very much doubt that Jesus studied Buddhism

Eh Lee, not being a dick or nothing here, just wanted to point something out. Paganism was way before Judaism, and if you want to get real technical, evidence of Goddess worship was found in caves far before Judaism was ever thought up.

But that brings up another point as well, Catholicism actually borrowed a shit ton of things from the Pagan religions. Why? Because in order to convert people to Christianity, they had to make it look just like Paganism so people wouldn't be so appalled to do so. For example, Pagans worshiped multiple gods, Catholicism has multiple Saints for specific ideas, many of the Christian holidays such as Christmas, Easter, and All Hallows Eve share the exact same dates as many of the Pagan holy days they held dear. Christmas= Yule, Easter = the Spring Equinox, and All Hallows Eve = Samhain. The list goes on so I'm not going to sit here and write out a ton of info on it, but the fact remains many things people consider "Christian" were Pagan to begin with.

Oh and the Bible, like many others have said, is a book to be interpreted by man, not a literal word for word book of law handed down by God. The only actual part of the Bible that was intended to be Law was the Ten Commandments. Just like any other religious writings, the intention was the for the individual to interpret it their own way, not for an organization to take the wording in it, and make it an absolution the way the leaders of this said organization sees it. This is a major why I don't agree with organized religion, because they create an environment where individual interpretation is frowned upon, and thus the individual does not have the will or want to go and think up their own ideas. That is a contradiction in today's world, but in the Middle Ages, it was commonplace. So why follow a path that lead to wars and the death of people for no reason over half a millennium in an age where you are taught to inquire and learn as much as you possibly can?

You got a good point about the borrowing Ty. In fact, the reason that Christians don't have to be circumcised or eat a kosher diet was because Saul/Paul told converts they didn't have to because they wouldn't convert if they did have to

go look them up. ive seen them.

Besides, its absurd to think someone could possibly choose it. let me ask you something, could YOU chooose to get a hard-on becuase of a naked man?

yea, right, what your thinking in your mind this very second absolutely disproves the wild notion anyone could claim that gay people choose to be gay.

your goingto have to understand that you cant just go aorund saying 'Oh but the bible!!!" the bible is merely a book, no different than the cat in the hat to most people. so, uh, come up with something else. I have just as strong a faith in Jesus as anyone around these parts, but im not going to run around telling people "oh the bible, so its right" becuase none of us know.

Like I say. What makes your book written by men better than other books written by men? Are you god? who are YOU to tell others they are wrong, and your stuff is right?

is our lord not a kind, loving, inclusive god? you make him to be quite an elitist asshole. Is that what you think he is?

Does he sound like what you say I'm making it out to be in the Gospels? No. He sent his only Son to die so that all may be saved.

John 3:16-18 said:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

All he requests is that you keep his commands. That's all.

And as for abomination? I can quote the Bible too...

Seems like being gay is as bad as eating a prawn.

Jesus did away with many of those Old Testament rules and standards.

By biblical standards, I think you pretty much are restricted to vegitarianism, or high protien (beef, fish, chicken) diets. Porks allegedly out of the question, along with all the good seafood (lobster, shrimp). that's why I'm a happy sinner.

Mark 7:14-15 and 18-19 said:
Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. "All of you listen," he said, "and try to understand. You are not defiled by what you eat; you are defiled by what you say and do!

"Don't you understand either?" he asked. "Can't you see that what you eat won't defile you? Food doesn't come in contact with your heart, bit only passes through the stomach and then comes out again." (By saying this, he showed that every kind of food is acceptable.)

contradictions? You have them;

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Often in those days, men would be called more than one name. For example, the apostle Matthew was also called Levi and Simon called Peter.

1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

Funny, because the only contradiction I see is in the first one it says forty thousand, rather than four. In my Bible, it says four thousand.

1 Kings 4:26 said:
Solomon had four thousand stalls for his chariot horses and twelve thousand horsemen.

^^

MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

Jesus said a total of seven things while on the cross and he may have said all of these things.

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Did the Lord command David to take a census because of the people's wickedness? Who was the instigator of that wickedness? :)

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

Ask someone more knowledgeable than I. I don't know, in this case. I know he cast down the money and died in both cases, though.

"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2KI 2:11)

"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... the Son of Man." (JOH 3:13)

Elijah didn't technically "ascend" to Heaven. He was grabbed and then disappeared. But... My Bible says this in John 3:13.

For I only, the Son of Man, have come to Earth and will return to Heaven.

Some manuscripts, it says in a footnote, "who lives in heaven."

2SA 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

2SA 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

II Samuel 21:8 said:
But he gave them Saul's two sons Armoni and Mephiboseheth whose mother was Rizpah daughter of Aiah. He also gave them the five sons of Saul's daughter Merab, the wife of Adriel son of Barzillai from Meholah.

You liar.

2KI 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

My Bible says eighteen in both passages.

ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

I read it as the people heard the sound of the voice and saw the light, but no man and didn't hear the words spoken.

“And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, ‘THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Matthew 27:37

“The inscription of the charge against Him read, ‘THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Mark 15:26

“Now there was also an inscription above Him, ‘THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Luke 23:38

“Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It was written, ‘JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—John 19:19

Really? Those are all essentially the same. Jesus, The King of the Jews.

The Jesus freak asking for evidence.

Lulz?

What's your problem, Coco?

How people can take the Bible as fact, and completely ignore all the other religions that go back way further than Christianity, religions that Jesus himself studied (Buddhism, for one example), is truly beyond me.

If there is a Heaven, I highly doubt sexual orientation would have anything to do with whether or not someone gets in.

I've studied Buddhism, but that doesn't mean I'm a follower. Since when is something that is the oldest correct? The theory that the Earth is the center of the universe is much older than saying the Earth revolves around the sun. Which is correct?

I go to church on a regular basis and respect the idea that religion plays a great role in giving some people's lives meaning or guiding people to do the right thing. On the other hand, 48.7 and any other nuts who believe the Good Book word for word as the will of God need to be locked in a padded room and treated for their delusions. If not for them, than for the safety of society at large.

Please?

Listen. I don't go and attack you for whatever you believe and I have done nothing to warrant you saying these things. I don't attack Muslims, atheists, etc. Why do you do that to me, then? I'd really appreciate it if you stopped with the snide remarks.

That's all that I'm going to say on this matter. This is how I've been raised and it's what I believe with my whole heart. As I've said previously, I respect all of your opinions and beliefs and I ask to receive the same respect in return.

Yeah Ty, I knew that about paganism, I meant of the major religions, my bad.

Also what bible translation do you have?

People with delusions are clinically ill and could probably use treatment for the good of themself and those around them. I don't see what's wrong with saying that, 48. It's certainly a greater sign of sanity than your beliefs/gimmick.

Alot of you seem to be talking directly out of your ass when referring to the changes made to the bible over the years. (Well not some of you, Lee, Ty & several others)

Some things were in fact "lost in translation" as it were, but that's not what I'm talking about. That's completely trivial stuff right there. No, I'm talking about concious efforts made by men of power to omit and/or add things to the Bible.

Here are two examples.

The Books of Chronicles, believed to have been written during or shortly after the Babylonian Exile, was based on the Deuteronomic History, but changed many of the accounts, particularly from the the Books of Kings.

The Jewish Council of Jamnia, believed to have been held around 90 CE, halved the Book of Esther and excluded 18 psalms known as the Psalms of Solomon.

There are many more.

Anyways, let me just say, I'm not criticizing you for being religious 48 (I didn't even start this thread). I was really just responding to your belief that homosexuality is unnatural. A few questions in regard to that.

1) How is homosexuality "unnatural"?
2) How do you possibly explain that people "choose" to be homosexual?
3) How do you explain homosexuality in the animal kingdom (of which there is a huge amount of)? Do turtle's choose to be homosexual as well?
4) How can you judge something purely scientific like genetics from a religious text?

Yeah Ty, I knew that about paganism, I meant of the major religions, my bad.

Also what bible translation do you have?

I was raised Catholic, so I have a Catholic Bible, and a King James Version as well.

Consequently I am not Christian, I have some Christian beliefs but I tend to lean towards being a spiritual Universalist. What I mean by that is I take parts of different religions and philosophies to create my own beliefs and thoughts on a spiritual matter, I have Pagan, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Taoist, Buddhist, Confucian beliefs, and I also use philosophies from Nietzche, Lao Tzu, Sun Tzu, Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, and Aquinas among others. I also have and continue to study alchemy, occult practices, and metaphysical feats as well.

People with delusions are clinically ill and could probably use treatment for the good of themself and those around them. I don't see what's wrong with saying that, 48. It's certainly a greater sign of sanity than your beliefs/gimmick.

I already said that I wasn't going to respond further in this thread, but this statement was too much. Coco, I don't know what problem you have with me, but I would really appreciate if you would stop.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

The Bible isn't what God would say if he could directly talk to us. Anyone who thinks that is incredibly ignorant. It's just the values that were around at that time written down. Maybe saying God wants whatever to happen was just their way of justifying hating gay people.

If we took everything in the Bible so seriously, we'd have to wear tassles on our clothes or else we'd all go to hell.

1. I don't see how 'a man shall not lay with another man' doesn't mean to not have sex with dudes. I'll grab my Bible in a few and find some passages where it talks about people doing wicked things, such as sleeping with the same gender.

Because, the original Aramaic says a "man shall not lie with another man, and it is thought that it could be a edict against conspiracies to form a band of thieves.

:confused:

sjff_03_img1248.jpg

02.jpg

48.7 believes what he believes and there should be no criticism because of it. Me personally, I don't accept homosexuality but I can tolerate it. It doesn't matter what to me what they do in their lives because it's not for me to judge. I don't go seeking homosexuals and yelling at them that it's an abomination because it's not my place to do that. I'm just going to keep on living the way I was raised to live and believe what I was raised to believe. If anybody wants to criticize me or has a problem with it, then I don't care because I don't have a problem with it.

I already said that I wasn't going to respond further in this thread, but this statement was too much. Coco, I don't know what problem you have with me, but I would really appreciate if you would stop.
Stop what? Expressing my beliefs?

I think the situation calls for it.

In that Hitler hates gays almost as much as 48.7.

48.7 Vs The World indeed.

I hope he doesn't get sent to prison and banned we just started getting along

Really attacking 48.7's beliefs is uncalled for. Now a discussion on a religious topic, there is no problem but when you start comparing more strict Christian interpretations to insanity or Hitler, then you're going over the line. Lay off, he has every right to believe what he wants, just as we have every to believe what we want. This attack on his beliefs is discrimination and is just as bad as racism. Enough is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back