48.7's thread of taughty, narrow minded ignorance

My Bible says in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, "Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, and swindlers---none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God."

so then.....FEMALE prositutes are ok? People who have fucked before are out?

you mean, you take that writing right there, something that was put in fucking YEARS ago by people with very little understand of anything scientific, over genetic testing which PROVES that homosexual and bisexual people have different chromosomes than hetero sexual people? isnt it our god who GIVES those people their chromosomes? is there punit charts of fucking genetic chaining in that book your holding?

I love how you justify the old testament laws, read the rest. I bet there's about 50 you don't keep.

And yeah, there are contradictions in the Bible.

Sorry.

People say this, but I haven't seen a SHRED of evidence. Proof, please.
Unless you know where to find the very first bible and can translate Aramaic to English I won't be able to provide the proof you want.

use common sense though humans have agendas. Why would men translating the bible not add stuff in to help their cause and take stuff out that hurts it?

there is nothing to respond to. there is PROOF, man.

that book was written by men, just as every other religous book (like the Quran) was written by men. So what the shit makes your man written book better than everyone elses?

the god that is foretold in YOUR book would not EVER exclude so many. that, in and of itself, is a massive contradiciton made over and over.

It's all about the wording, I think. So many passages are altered because during translating the Bible, some words don't exist going from Aramaic, to Latin, to Greek, and finally to English (as we know it). Since some words didn't translate, they had to slightly tweak the wording. Also, kinda off topic, but how can anybody say the Bible has never changed, when the Vatican has blatantly omitted various Gospels? Sounds like a huge oversight/change to me.

so then.....FEMALE prositutes are ok? People who have fucked before are out?

You have to remember, the apostle Paul wrote this letter to the Church at Corinth. This wasn't a list of all things that are sins, but it was addressing the problems the church at Corinth was facing. Female prostitution is a sin, as evidenced by many other passages in the Bible, but there wasn't a problem with it to be addressed in Corinth. Either that, or they already knew it. And sexual immorality is a sin. Good thing there is forgiveness.

You have to remember, the apostle Paul wrote this letter to the Church at Corinth. This wasn't a list of all things that are sins, but it was addressing the problems the church at Corinth was facing. Female prostitution is a sin, as evidenced by many other passages in the Bible, but there wasn't a problem with it to be addressed in Corinth. Either that, or they already knew it. And sexual immorality is a sin. Good thing there is forgiveness.

Which is the basic framework for the vast majority of the bible. can you not see this?

and are people to be forgiven for the chromosomes that god created them with then?

Which is the basic framework for the vast majority of the bible. can you not see this?

and are people to be forgiven for the chromosomes that god created them with then?

1. No. False. The majority of the Bible is history and poetry. The New Testament was split about 50/50 between the life of Jesus and Paul's letters to the church. Then you have the books such as Revelation and Acts.

2. Still haven't seen that evidence.

go look them up. ive seen them.

Besides, its absurd to think someone could possibly choose it. let me ask you something, could YOU chooose to get a hard-on becuase of a naked man?

yea, right, what your thinking in your mind this very second absolutely disproves the wild notion anyone could claim that gay people choose to be gay.

your goingto have to understand that you cant just go aorund saying 'Oh but the bible!!!" the bible is merely a book, no different than the cat in the hat to most people. so, uh, come up with something else. I have just as strong a faith in Jesus as anyone around these parts, but im not going to run around telling people "oh the bible, so its right" becuase none of us know.

Like I say. What makes your book written by men better than other books written by men? Are you god? who are YOU to tell others they are wrong, and your stuff is right?

is our lord not a kind, loving, inclusive god? you make him to be quite an elitist asshole. Is that what you think he is?

Haven't read it all, but this is what I need to say.

Firstly, 48.7, if you think that the bible existed as a well defined thing before 400AD, you are gravely mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-canonical_books_referenced_in_the_Bible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gospels

There's some books that were in the Bible but aren't anymore, and you say it hasn't changed?

Look, the translation is a million miles away from the original, both in terms of translation itself and human interpretation.

And as for abomination? I can quote the Bible too...

Leviticus 11:10-12 said:
10And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Seems like being gay is as bad as eating a prawn.

Haven't read it all, but this is what I need to say.

Firstly, 48.7, if you think that the bible existed as a well defined thing before 400AD, you are gravely mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-canonical_books_referenced_in_the_Bible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gospels

There's some books that were in the Bible but aren't anymore, and you say it hasn't changed?

Look, the translation is a million miles away from the original, both in terms of translation itself and human interpretation.

And as for abomination? I can quote the Bible too...

Seems like being gay is as bad as eating a prawn.

By biblical standards, I think you pretty much are restricted to vegitarianism, or high protien (beef, fish, chicken) diets. Porks allegedly out of the question, along with all the good seafood (lobster, shrimp). that's why I'm a happy sinner.

contradictions? You have them;

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2KI 2:11)

"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... the Son of Man." (JOH 3:13)

2SA 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

2SA 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

2KI 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

“And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, ‘THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Matthew 27:37

“The inscription of the charge against Him read, ‘THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Mark 15:26

“Now there was also an inscription above Him, ‘THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Luke 23:38

“Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It was written, ‘JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—John 19:19

That's just a few.

I'm here now if anyone still wants in on this. An atheist with some knowledge of Catholic theology and church history should be a good side to speak from.

You can't take the Old Testament as fact. Most of it is metaphorical language, as is Revelations in the New Testament, so you have to look at the time when it was written to see what they were talking about and who they were talking to. Also, don't forget that the Old Testament is really just the Jewish Bible. If there is a contradiction between the Old and New Testaments, you always take the New as fact because we care more about what Jesus has to say than a bunch of old Jews, lol.

How people can take the Bible as fact, and completely ignore all the other religions that go back way further than Christianity, religions that Jesus himself studied (Buddhism, for one example), is truly beyond me.

If there is a Heaven, I highly doubt sexual orientation would have anything to do with whether or not someone gets in.

See there's is where ignorance from your side comes in, christianity is an extension of Judaism, which is the second oldest religion (hinduism is the first) I also very much doubt that Jesus studied Buddhism

I go to church on a regular basis and respect the idea that religion plays a great role in giving some people's lives meaning or guiding people to do the right thing. On the other hand, 48.7 and any other nuts who believe the Good Book word for word as the will of God need to be locked in a padded room and treated for their delusions. If not for them, than for the safety of society at large.

Please?

A former word for word literal bible believer, I had a look for myself and just think that there are far too many contradictions for it to be the word of god.

You have to look at the setting for the writing of the Bible to be able to understand where it is coming from, and that is why you can't take it word-for-word. I believe in God, but the Bible, not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back