• Sonic the Hedgehog

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
250px-Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

250px-Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

What isn't there to love about Super Mario 64, besides the awkward swimming controls? It is LOADED with the charm that you would demand from a Mario game.

Even the mindless whatever you call it before you even press the start button can provide some serious entertainment. I know I wasn't the only one poke at Mario's face for a while before even pressing the start button. :p

The worlds have that classic appeal of having repeated models, but it doesn't matter because they tweak them so everything feels fresh. Like even now, you still feel frustrated over some stages or things that you have to do o get a star. I still want to shoot that penguin for his freaking races. :glare:

I think the music is a lot of fun too. It may not be the most extensive collection, but I love the track that plays while you are underwater.

But I think the biggest thing to love about this game is the replayablity of it. Anyone who has played and enjoyed the game in 1996 can easily get hooked on it all over again. Heck, my 5 year old niece LOVES this game. Since she first played it a year ago, all she wants to do is here that "It's a-me, Mario!" and play the game even if she doesn't have all the cognitive skills needed to play the game.

While Mario 64 might have had the larger impact on gaming, I picked Sonic because I enjoy it more. It has simpler gameplay, better music, and more nostalgia for me. Playing through all of the original zones facing the original forms of Robotnik is still fun. Well, ok not level 3 of the Labyrinth Zone, but everything else. I don't think Sonic will win here but it has my support regardless. Both games deserve to move on.

Well isn't this just an interesting matchup, on one hand you have the lead man of Nintendo in Mario and on the other it's the lead animal of Sega in Sonic. Both franchises help make the gaming world what it is today. Mario 64 basically started the 3D platforming genre while Sonic the Hedgehog started the Sega consoles. I'm going with Sonic though as it was the first game I played on any Sega console so for nostalgia reasons I'll go with the Hedgehog here.

why are you making me choose between these 2?

Super Mario 64: Great game with a new twist. Instead of just going through the levels to get to Bowser you have to collect stars in paintings in order to progress through the castle to get to Bowser and save Peach. The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen on the N64. I love this game and is an awesome addition to the Mario franchise.

Sonic the Hedgehog: This is the first good game I can actually remember playing. a Genesis was the first home console I ever owned and this game was a big part of my early childhood. I love this game to this day and it will always have a special place in my heart due to the memories that are associated with it.

Due to reasoning all that out I'm going with Sonic the Hedgehog although if Mario wins i will not be disappointed at all.

Still torn on this match. You have two of the biggest, most recognizable characters in video game history going up against eachother again! This is the second time this round I believe. Both games are incredibly fun and very different in retrospect. Mario 64 differed from most previous games in the series by making the level selection an open world of sorts. The controls were great, the music was great, the replay value was great because you wanted to get every star available, and the gameplay was fun and addicting. Sonic on the other hand, was just a fun fucking game to play. Incredibly simple, yet so addicting and fun. I am leaning towards Sonic for the simple fact that I have played it more recently than Mario, and I want an upset, but both games are amazing, and deserve to go on.

both are great games. however i personally liked super mario 64 better then sonic the hedgehog. sonic the hedgehog isnt as diverse as super mario 64. plus i kinda prefered the 3-d format for super mario 64 gameplay over sonic the hedgehog, however both were great games for their time.
therefore my vote goes to super mario 64.

While I think Mario 64 is the best mario game made I'm voting for Sonic. How could I not? The game made me a gamer. If it was not for Sonic I probably wouldn't be playing games today. While I understand that Mario 64 was probably instrumental to the future of 3-D gaming, the controls were horrible. I was forever missing enemies and items due to the ridiculous camera angles. I understand that it wasn't really the games fault but it was still very annoying. With Sonic the only problem was the lack of a spin dash.

Another thing i disliked about Mario 64 was the repititon of the same style of boss battles against Bowser. You had to swing him with the alkward analogue controls into bombs everytime you fought him. I disliked that, they could have easily made it much better. In Sonic every boss battle was different and more challenging.

Don't get me wrong I really liked Mario 64 even for all it's control faults but I prefered the original Sonic so much more.

SM64 for me here. Yup Sonic is brilliant but it did so well because it was up against SMB3 (an 8bit game) once World and the SNES was released then Sonic had to move with the times (and the much better Sonic 2).

Sonic gave us speed in games and some great platforming prowess, SM64 opeend the world of platforming and adventure/RPG gaming into 3D. On top of that it was massive, it was good fun and everything worked so well together.

Close but SM64 gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back