The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket;
Round 2, Match 6

The Sixth Sense

sixthsense.jpg

vs.

The Matrix

matrix-neo.jpg

Hm.....

The Sixth Sense suffers from being sort of made popular by its ending and its "I see dead people" quote. Meanwhile, The Matrix was built up as a god amongst films, and that was essentially because they found a different way to tweak slow motion.

Sixth Sense gets a point for Bruce Willis and Matrix gets a point for Hugo Weaving.

Both have cool titles.

But you know what this essentially comes down to? Effort. If you remove Sixth Sense's twist ending, you're left with a pretty standard film. Matrix is able to organize a much more complex story with much more symbolism and accomplish it rather well.

The Matrix.

I'm with NoFate, but no exactly for the same reasons. I remember when SIxth Sense came out, there was a great hype to it. Everyone said that you had to see it, and that it was a ghost movie. That at least gives you an idea of what to think when you go in. The Matrix, you had no knowledge at all. It was a complete guess as to what the movie was about. To make a movie this big and well thought out takes amazing work. The sequels ruined it, but the first is just sweet. The music, the clothes, Reeves finally finding the role he was born to play, everything just clicks perfectly.

Sixth Sense is great, but it loses here.

The Matrix has become almost irrelevant now. The sequels really fucked with that films popularity. It's still good, but my enthusiasm for it is currently nonexistent. It's been ripped off that many times that it just doesn't have the impact that it used to. It's now just a good sci-fi film, not the classic it should be.

Well since we are voting for The Matrix original, and not the sequels, then it has more power, just like Return of the King could have less power. The Matrix beats The Sixth Sense here with some ease in my mind, I really did not have to think about it. The Sixth Sense was an average film with a spooky ending. The Matrix was a mind fuck, with a guy who can dodge bullets, and fights inside a computer program. They had to work hard with the Matrix to make it look good. Any chinks in the armour, and it would have failed. It would have looked cheap if they were lacking on the special effects. For that, it deserves praise alone.

Ignoring the fact that I made the mistake of buying the sequel the day it came out and having to deal with the disappointment 'Reloaded' entailed, it's impossible to get past the fact that the Matrix has repeatability. You can watch it and appreciate the intelligence behind the movie and the fact it was unique.

With the Sixth Sense, you had a clever plot with a massive twist...but the fact is, if you didn't see it and someone said 'Bruce Willis is a ghost', well that was it ruined. You had a clever plot ruined because you knew what was going to happen. It's like 'A Beautiful Mind'... stunning film and easily better than Sixth Sense, but yet you can't watch it again once you know the twist. Matrix you can just keep enjoying.

It takes it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back