Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket;
Round 2, Match

Saving Private Ryan

privateryanL2308_468x304.jpg

vs.

Titanic

titanic.jpeg

For me, it's Saving Private Ryan by miles and miles. The first battle scene alone beats out Titanic the movie, in my opinion. That shit is beyond epic. Both of the movies are really long, but I would rather watch Saving Private Ryan any day of the week. Titanic has a good story against the backdrop of one of the most famous disasters in American history. That being said, it can't contend with Saving Private Ryan's realistic scenes or its' story in general.

Saving Private Ryan

Both are extremely great movies, and this is now the hardest match-up that has come along. How do you vote against the highest crossing movie of all time? How do you vote against the movie that has won the most academy awards (tied with Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Ben-Hur). This tells a lot about the movie, because I am voting for Saving Private Ryan. It was a masterpiece of a war movie. The characters well well defined, which is hard in a war movie, the battle scenes are top notch, and the movie isn't totally biased towards one side. Saving Private Ryan wins out here, against one of the biggest Blockbusters of all time.

While Saving Private Ryan was a great film, and an excellent war film, it is not my favorite from the genre. That honor gets to go to Full Metal Jacket. Titanic is one of my all time favorite movies of all time, period. The film captures the imagery and the symbolism of not only the time period of American history, but also the lives of its people. The film captures the imagery of the chaos, the cowardliness, and the bravery of the passengers on board as the boat begins to sink. The cowardliness of some of the men that dress up as women to get a free pass to the lifeboats, the bravery of men that stay behind and through their quick thinking manned the lifeboats - thus more lives were saved. The symbolism of the orchestra continuing to play upbeat and lively music as the boat the boat is sinking, providing a bit of light in a truely grim and bleak situation.

Titanic was not supposed to be a happy movie, not by a long shot, its not a movie that you watch to feel good about yourself. But what truly makes this film unique is this a romance movie, and a particular bleak one at that. Titanic is not one of those soppy chick flick movies, as it sheds light on one of the worst oceanliner disasters in history. The Romanticism of the movies ties into the symbolism and the culture of the time period of the people on board.

Saving Private Ryan was a good film, but there is a reason why Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time. Its entertaining, it sheds light on one of the worst ocean disasters that America has ever faced and it stays true to the symbolism of that time period, the movie doesn't attempt to change anything - it tells the story exactly how it was

I'm giving my vote to Titanic

Man, another matchup of Spielberg vs. Cameron. Two wonderful films. Now, I will start that i have seen Titanic only once. That's all i've needed to see of it. It's such a long movie, and it honestly will probably lose it's effect the second time I watched it. I was disappointed with the movie when I saw it, because I was expecting more. However, it is a great film, that often gets overly criticized today because of it being not Macho to like this movie.

All that being said, Saving Private Ryan destroys this film in about every category possible. From action to character development to sadness, it simply is a better film all around.

To me, Titanic is the epitome of overrated. I watched this movie about two years ago for the first time ever, and I was just unimpressed. The boat is mindblowing, but that's about it. Its ok, but I don't think its the movie that its built up to be. On the other hand, we have Saving Private Ryan, which to me is the best war movie ever. There's so many little things in it that make it work. Hanks is dead on, as is the rest of the cast. I'll take Ryan in a runaway.

I love Titanic. But the dialogue is awful. And when the the ship doesn't start to sink until half way through that becomes a problem. Also shouldn't the story of a big ass ship sinking be entertaining enough without having Billy Zane trying to shoot Di Caprio?

Titanic should get Oscar nominations, but it shouldn't win any of them. Unlike Private Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back