Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket;
Round 3, Match 2

Saving Private Ryan

Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

vs.

The Matrix

the-matrix.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of either of these movies. I don't own either one. I feel both of them are given a little too much credit at times - SPR by the "academy" type and Matrix by fanboys and such.

BUT....

I have to basically repeat what I said before about them. Saving Private Ryan to me has a story that doesn't match up to its film making. The best part about it is the opening sequence and then it goes downhill. If you had any other director doing the exact same film script, nobody would know it even existed similar to other war movies like uh...Hart's War? Is that what it was called? The only other thing that this has over Matrix is acting.

Now, the Matrix is overrated in its slow motion technique. Its not as amazing as people make it out to be. But the style of the film outside of that holds up as well. And on top of all that, it has a much more complicated story, as well as a more interesting story.

So Saving Private Ryan gets 3 points for acting, cinematography, and the opening sequence, while Matrix gets 4 for style, story, complexity, and cinematography.

It pains me that I have to keep voting for it, but...

The Matrix.

I feel both of them are given a little too much credit at times - SPR by the "academy" type

And those who actually fought in the battles... Many say it seems more realistic then films that do exist of the battles. Veterans were amazed that they were that able to recreate one of the most important battles in World War Two.

and Matrix by fanboys and such.

For every fanboy that likes the Matrix, if you are thinking of the core Matrix fans, not very few would not appreciate Saving Private Ryan.

That is how I am starting this off. The Matrix was a good movie for its revolutionary, and later heavily replicated use of new technology in its movies. But really, what does that mean? Back To God's Country was revolutionary in 1919 for its use of nudity, and the creation of liberalism. But would you consider it to be a great film? No. It did something good, will earn itself a spot on the timeline, and little after that. Saving Private Ryan on the other hand, is an epic film. Starting off in Omaha Beach, it makes its way through France during World War Two. They are on a search that leads them to large battles all across the warzone, until finally meeting Private Ryan at a Bridge they must defend. The bridge scene, probably even better than Omaha Beach is one of my favorite scenes in movies, especially war or battle scenes. It is an amazing movie, and that is why, Saving Private Ryan gets my vote.

Saving Private Ryan, easily. The Matrix was a great Sci-Fi movie, despite the ineptness of it's two follow ups dragging it down. It made you think, and truly screwed with your head when you were done with it. It's one of those movies you have to watch twice to completely get. It's a nice Sci-Fi movie, but it doesn't compare.

The characters, the effects, the story, the emotion, the acting, everything is just better in Saving Private Ryan. The opening sequence has never been touched by another movie since in it's sheer sense of epicness, and this is coming from an admitted Star Wars nerd and the Revenge of the Sith opening. Saving Private Ryan touches more on more levels then the Matrix could ever hope for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back