Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1990's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 11

The Matrix

neo.jpg

vs.

Speed

speed_l.jpg

The Matrix. Interesting two Keanu Reeves movies ended up facing each other in the first round. Of course the Matrix is the better movie here, it was revolutionary. It was well made, the effects were top notch, and the story was good. Speed was a good action film in its own right, made me a little scared up public transit, but was good. Matrix also had Trinity, and I'll vote for anyone named Trinity. Matrix will go deep in the 90s, it was one of the defining movies of the 90s.

Although I feel that the Matrix is HIGHLY overrated (bullet-time is no revolutionary concept like CGI, its just a variant of slow motion) I can't argue that it isn't the better film here. The Matrix itself is worthy of moving on due to the higher level that it holds itself. Speed is just a thriller while The Matrix was trying to be a sort of fable for the computer age. Reeves is a horrible actor and they could've done a much better job with Neo being played as someone else, but the fact that the Matrix is up against Speed makes it an easy win. Plus, Agent Smith IS a cool villain and all lol.

The Matrix.

Speed is incredible thriller, with Dennis Hopper playing his villain role amazingly. But The Matrix brought back the Sci-Fi genre from the dead. It's amazing special effects and revolutionary concepts make for one hell of a movie. The sequels probably weren't needed (neither was Speed 2: Cruise Control for that matter) but that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the original. Speed is great, a movie I thoroughly enjoy. That being said, it does not have the impact that The Matrix does.

The Matrix, all the way.

Matrix. Speed is Die Hard on a bus. Matrix was one of the few movies that was insanely successful with the previews saying nothing at all about what the plot was. Once I saw it, it took me three viewings of it to get the idea of everything that was going on. Its special effects are great and hold up to this day. The only flaw in it was Trinity. Couldn't stand her. The ending was perfect with Rage Against the machine being the perfect name for the band. Matrix in a walk.

I remember actually liking "The Matrix" when I first watched it, but I think I only watched it that one time, and I know for a fact that I never watched either sequels. So, I guess, I'm not really a fan of it, lol.

However, I do love "Speed" and it does get my vote in this match-up. I rented it when it first came out on video and watched it with the family, and it was great. Thrilling as fuck, and I can still watch it to this day and get caught up into it. Keanu Reeves was awesome in it (my second favorite movie from him, right behind "Point Break"), and so was Sandra Bullock. Great movie.

Speed was a nice fun movie, but in the end, it was simply a nice summer action movie. The bus not going below 35 mph was a nice twist, but as someone said earlier, it's Die Hard, on a bus.

The Matrix was a fucking mind trip. Put the sequels, or at least try to, out of your mind. This movie came out, and no one knew what to expect. The vast majority of the commercials were simply, "What is the Matrix?". It got people interested, but gave absolutely nothing away. By the time that movie was over, you had to watch it again, because you simply couldn't absorb everything you just watched.

Personally, I'm going with Speed. I was never a big fan of any of The MAtrix movies. The first I've seen a couple times. Reloaded I saw once, and from that one viewing, I decided to skip Revolutions. It has some good special effects, and the principle cast turned in some really good performances, especially Larry Fishburne and Joey Pants. The script is decent, if confusing.

But Speed is pretty much, like it's been said, Die HArd on a bus. And I mean that because it was pretty much the most original and badass actioner of the 90's. To correct Shocky, the bus can't go under 55 miles and hour (and if I'm wroing and Shocky's right, then Shocky feel free to stamp me an ASS). It's a very original concept IMO, and everything just clicks. The screenplay isn't Shakespeare, but it gets the job done. Keanu is about as tolerable as he's ever going to get, and we get introduced to the beautiful and tal- beautiful Sandra Bullock. Jeff Daniels also turns in one of his patented superb supporting roles, and OF COURSE, we have the great Dennis Hopper as one badass motherfucking psycho. This movie is a Must See for any fan of action movies. For me, it's RIGHT there with T2: Judgement Day.

I hate both movies equally. But The Matrix was revolutionary, it created a buzz, and it also started a new path for movies to be made. The actual movie wasnt good, but it was revolutionary. Speed is horrible. Maybe it's just Keanu Reeves, but I hate all of his movies. But in the end here Im going to go with The Matrix, only because of influence.

The Matrix isn't half the film it used to be in most peoples eyes. I doubt anybody can deny that over the past couple of years, since the sequels, the franchise has taken a nosedive. It's a shame because it's a great movie. But several years ago this would have been near the top of everyones top 10 list, that's not the case anymore. But it's still a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back