10 years of Hell

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
It's hard to believe, but this match has been around for ten years. In this thread, I intend on going through each match one at a time. I'd like for people to keep the conversation to the current hell in the cell match being discussed, and move on from there. At the end, we can discuss which one was the best one, so on and so forth.

So We'll start with the Hell in a Cell that started it all, and set the bar for this specialty match.

In Your House: Badd Blood 1997: Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker

The Hell in a Cell match was first introduced by The Undertaker at the Badd Blood pay-per-view event on October 5, 1997 in St. Louis, Missouri, when he challenged Shawn Michaels for the number one contendership to the WWF Championship. The Undertaker had been feuding with Michaels since SummerSlam 1997, where Michaels was a special guest referee in a match between the Undertaker and Bret Hart for the WWF Championship. In the match, Michaels swung a steel chair at Bret Hart, but missed and hit the Undertaker instead, costing him the match. Out for revenge, the Undertaker devised the Cell not only to prevent Shawn Michaels' D-Generation X allies from interfering, but also to create an environment that would cause Michaels the most pain.

From the beginning the Undertaker dominated, though Shawn Michaels was able to fight back several times. At one of Michaels' most offensive points in the match, he had managed to tangle The Undertaker in the two top ropes, immobilizing him. Michaels then proceeded to charge the subdued man, only for The Undertaker to flip him over the top ropes and onto a cameraman. Frustrated that this wasn't the first time that a cameraman has gotten in his way, Michaels proceeded to beat the cameraman while he laid on the ground. After several more minutes of Michaels having the upper hand, Sgt. Slaughter came down to ringside and ordered the cage door unlocked to bring the cameraman out for medical care.
82.jpg

26.jpg
At this time, Shawn Michaels hit his finisher, Sweet Chin Music, on the Undertaker, but instead of Michaels covering for the pin, the Undertaker did his signature sit-up (a move he does when it seems an opponent has him beaten, only for him to sit back up, revitalized, in accordance with his Deadman gimmick) and went back on the offensive. With the door now open, Shawn forced the referee aside in an attempt to escape the Undertaker, leading to both men battling outside of the cage. The Undertaker started by ramming Michaels head first into the cell several times, leaving his face a bloody mask. Michaels escaped by delivering a low-blow to the Undertaker and climbing to the top of the Cell. Naturally, The Undertaker followed, and once on top, he bodyslammed and backdropped Michaels on the roof. Again trying to outrun the Undertaker, Michaels began to climb back down the Cell. He was left hanging off the side when the Undertaker stomped on his hands, causing him to fall through the Spanish announce table at ringside from a height of around 10-12 feet. This spot is seen as a precursor to a far more famous fall taken by Mick Foley from the very top of the cell. Despite this, Jim Ross yelled, "My God, he may be broken in half! Michaels may be broken in half!"

The Undertaker climbed down the cell and continued his assault, dragging Michaels back into the cage and the ring ("Back into Purgatory," as Jim Ross stated). After giving Michaels a clothesline, a chokeslam from the top turnbuckle, and a vicious chair shot (Michaels stated in his autobiography that after this shot he felt as if his own eyes were about to "pop out of his head"), it seemed that the Undertaker was bound for victory. However, when he gave his signature throat slit signal (indicating his finisher, the Tombstone), Paul Bearer and Kane entered ringside to interfere in the match. This match was the first appearance of Kane, the Undertaker's on-screen half-brother. Kane ripped the door of the Cell from its hinges and confronted the Undertaker in the ring. After a brief stare-down,
baddblood-2.jpg
Kane performed his own version of the Tombstone Piledriver on the Undertaker and exited. Michaels then, with great effort, crawled out of a pool of his own blood and onto the unconscious Undertaker for the pin, gaining the contendership that would set the stage for the infamous Montreal Screwjob one month later.
28.jpg

Wow, for my money, this was the best Hell in a Cell period. The WWF was getting its ass kicked by WCW, but easily was the better show for the last 6 months. The shows were just better, and the foundation for the attitude Era was being laid.

Summerslam 97, which I feel maybe one of the 5 most under appreciated pay per views of all time, set the groundwork for this match. Taker vs. Hart, with HBK as the referee. HBK nails taker with the chair, and the rest is history. This was the birth of DX, the end of the Hart Foundation. The Undertaker vs. HBK, although they had been in the same company and arguably two of the biggest draws ever, had never faced off on pay per view one on one. Groundzero saw the two battle to a No Contest.

The Cell was introduced to keep DX out, and for all intents and purposed, punish the hell out of Shawn Michaels. Say what you will about 97 Michaels and his arrogance, but there is no denying the mans big match ability. Sure, the eventual Big Spot in the match is tame by todays standards, but for the time it was amazing. At the end you get the introduction of Kane as a force in the WWF, and the final chapter of Bret Hart in the WWF begins as well.

All I have to say is, I burned a hole in my VHS tape of this match watching it. This match got many of my friends hooked on the WWF going into 1998. It was one of those moments where I was damn proud to be a wrestling fan.

What are your thoughts on this match?

Shock, first off, fantastic thread idea. A look at the match that redefined the steel cage, one step at a time.

I cannot, for the life of me, think of two athletes I'd rather have kick off Hell in a Cell than HBK and the Undertaker. Shawn, on one hand, made his CAREER by revolutionizing the sport in innovative matches. He launched the ladder match for WWE. He launched Hell in a Cell (winning it no less!) and later helped launch the elimination chamber.

Taker on the other hand was a WWE master at brutal, blood feud matches. He also ALWAYS took care of his opponent in dangerous spots and was respected for how clean he was in the ring. His ominou presence was almost overshadowed by the steel structure, yet somehow they worked in tandem.

The match set the stage for so much. The FUNNY thing is, people don't really remember Undertaker vs HBK as a major feud (it didn't make "Best of the 90's - Feuds!) whereas the two feuds spawned off of this match, Undertaker vs Kane and Michaels vs Hart are LEGENDARY.

By the way, I was at that Summerslam in NJ where Bret beat the Undertaker after Shawn's misplaced superkick. People left in what I can only describe as a state of disbelief. Looking back on it now, I can see why Hell in a Cell started the way it did.

The thing that I absolutely loved in this match is the psychology of it. You got the sense that HBK was freaked at the idea of being trapped inside of this cage with the Phenom. The most vivid part about the match was when HBK got his hands on a steel chair for the first time. The way that he was hitting Taker seemed like the act of scared, desperate man.

I also remember the announce table bump and how I actually thought HBK was dead. At 14 years old I marked out thinking that Shawn Micheals was literally killed by the Undertaker. To this day, there is no other match that has created such a reaction for me.

This match will forever be in my top 5. Good idea for the thread, Shockmaster.

I just want to start off by saying, Shocky your are a bastard. This was my idea. I had it in my head months ago. You steal my Brian Pillman one and I will ban yo ass.

By far the best HIAC. There's not really much I can say if were doing each match individually and not doing HIAC's as a whole. But this one certainly set the standard. Personally I would have prefered it if Kane hadn't arrived until the match had finished. Would it really have harmed either Taker or HBK to job?

Excellent idea here Shock as always. But this was the beginning of the rise for the WWF at this time. It was match that told a story in itslef and was built up quite nicely IMO, which is something that the WWE doesnt do enough today.

The match itself was a joy to watch as it gave everything you could have wanted and more. Just the fact that youy had HBK and Taker going against each other one on one was just icing to the cake. No one at that time figured Kane would show up before the end of the match be he did. Nice match and it was hard for any other HITC to reproducewhat this one did

Sorry Jake, I've been thinking of this one for a long time as well, and figured it was getting close enough to do it. And yes, this means the 10th Anniversary of the Screwjob is coming, but I'm dreading that thread. And, again, I won't steal the Pillman one, but I'll make sure it gets the respect it deserves. Growing up in Cincinnati, Pillman is godish around here.

I think people have hit the nail on the head. The Cell was given it's structure and image during this match. The Cell became Unforgiving and all of that. The WWF did a helluva job hyping what kind of danger Michaels was in during this match. He was locked in Hell with the deadman himself.

I understand what you're saying about Kane Jake, but I think with the way the match went, it did a great job of establishing Kane as a force in the WWF. The Undertaker had destroyed HBK throughout most of the match, then all of a sudden Kane comes down, rips the door off the cage, leaves the Undertaker lying, and HBK gets the pin. Instant heel heat, and a legit monster is born.

Plus, just the structure of the cage itself was great. Sure, we had seen cages similar to this in WCW, but that cage was god awful. IF someone hit into it, the cage wall went 3 feet off of the ground. The thing was so damn flimsy it was hardly intimidating. The cell itself was just a stiff rigid piece of metal that tore flesh, truly a great structure.

Jake, good question about Kane. I have to say that, making this event a no-decision, I can see the concern. The Cell is supposed to "settle something" and Kane's arrival "settled nothing." I get that.

But a no-decision in that manner, I feel, made WWE fans truly SALIVATE over the next Hell in a Cell knowing what the match was capable of. And when the next installment is posted, well, we will discus whether that drool was warranted.

Now for the sake of people not getting upset, I am skipping the two Hell in the Cell matches that were just hotshots on Raw. There was no build up, and both of those matches ended in a no contest. They were dumb, and really didn't do anything.

So this brings us to...Hell in the Cell II at King of the Ring 1998. And if you haven't seen this match, then where the hell have you been.

King of the Ring 1998: The Undertaker vs. Mankind

The Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring 1998 between The Undertaker and Mankind (Mick Foley) has since become one of the most famous professional wrestling matches in history. In preparing for the match Mick Foley asked longtime mentor and friend Terry Funk for his advice on how to top the first Hell in the Cell, which Foley considered a great match. Funk's fateful advice was to start the match on top of the cage. In his autobiography, Have a Nice Day, Foley jokes (after a previous Funk suggestion had caused both men serious burn injuries in Japan), "You'd think I would know better by now than to listen to Terry Funk."

When the match started, both men climbed on top of the cage before the bell had even rung. As the two walked on top of the cage, one of the caged sections buckled and broke through under their weight. After a short battle, The Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the cage through the Spanish announcers' table 16 feet below,
kingring2.jpg
takervsmankind-kotr98.jpg
narrowly
Hellinthecelldrop-slower.gif
avoiding monitors and other A/V equipment. Emergency medical technicians and other staff quickly rushed to his aid, while announcer Jim Ross screamed "Good God almighty! Good God almighty! That killed him! As God as my witness, he is broken in half!" Foley was lifted onto a gurney, and the technicians started to wheel him up the aisleway. Meanwhile, Undertaker remained atop the cage, which had begun to rise back towards the ceiling to allow room for the EMTs to wheel Mankind away on a gurney. Even though the fall from the cage was planned and well executed, Terry Funk and Vince McMahon broke kayfabe — at the time, both were involved in feuds with Mankind — to come down ringside and check on Foley's condition. Later, Foley would claim that he had introduced the idea of the throw from the top of the cage earlier in the day; the wrestler portraying Undertaker, Mark Calaway, at first resisted, asking him, 'Mick, do you want to die?", but reluctantly agreed.

As he was being wheeled up the aisle, Mankind got off of the gurney, and, despite having a dislocated shoulder, walked back towards the ring and climbed back on top of the cage, much to the delight of the fans. The match continued, even though the roof of the cage was buckling under both of them with every step they took.

During the ensuing fight, The Undertaker chokeslammed Mankind on the roof of the cage.
Foleyfall-ani2.gif
Unlike the throw from the top of the cell, what happened next was not planned or even anticipated by either Foley or Calaway, as the section of the cage roof that Foley landed on gave way and Foley fell hard into the ring where he suffered a concussion and was knocked out cold for around a minute and a half. Foley has maintained that this fall was accidental. Terry Funk wrote in his autobiography that both falls, including the second one through the cage, were planned. Some sources, including Power Slam magazine and Pro Wrestling Torch, reported that Foley denied planning this bump to placate his wife, who was furious with him after the match. The weight from the two wrestlers (almost 600 pounds) on top of the cage both before and after Foley's fall was said to be a key reason for the collapse of the cage. Making matters worse, the ring was one of the older style rings used by the WWF, which had less give to its surface so as to make the matches more realistic looking on television. A steel chair lying on the roof of the cage fell through and struck Foley in the face, dislocating his jaw and knocking out one and a half teeth as well as creating a large cut beneath his lip (Calaway has since stated in interviews that after the fall, he thought for sure Foley was dead). Upon seeing the fall, Jim Ross yelled out, "Good god, good god!" and Jerry Lawler said, "That's it, he's dead." Ross continued, "Will somebody stop the damn match?! Enough's enough!" Terry Funk and other personnel immediately ran into the ring to aid Foley.

A famous picture taken a few minutes after the fall through the cage depicts Mankind apparently smiling while one of his broken teeth, which he had aspirated into his sinus cavity, protrudes from his nostril. In his first autobiography, Foley wrote that he was trying to show off the hole below his lips by sticking his tongue through it, but because of his thick beard and excesses of blood, the hole was not seen and this was misinterpreted as a sick smile.

The Undertaker jumped down through the new hole in the cage roof (despite a broken foot which he suffered before the match, which nearly caused him to lose his balance when he landed) and improvised a bit with Funk to give Foley a few minutes to recover. Despite suffering from a head injury, Foley was able to continue and finish the match. Calaway deliberately over-sold Mankind's offensive moves in order to work at a pace more conducive to Foley's heavily injured state.[citation needed] The Undertaker backdropped and chokeslammed Mankind onto a pile of thumbtacks and then delivered a Tombstone Piledriver to win by pinfall. Despite his injuries, Mankind managed to go ahead with his planned interference in the main event later that evening, a First Blood Match between Kane and Steve Austin.

In the end, the match left Foley with a dislocated jaw, a dislocated shoulder, a bruised kidney, 2 broken ribs, one and a half missing teeth, a concussion, and 14 stitches for the cut beneath his lip. He took 2 months to recover. In one of Mick Foley's autobiographies, he said he could only remember bits and pieces of the 1998 Hell In A Cell match up until the second fall, and absolutely nothing of the match after that, and had to rewatch the entire event in order to write about it in any detail. Additionally, he wrote that his wife frantically tried to call him immediately after the match, and pleaded with him to never do anything like that ever again. Vince McMahon even reportedly gave very serious thought after the match to never holding another Hell In A Cell, due to the severity of the injuries that Foley had sustained. By Foley's own admission, some of those injuries never fully healed.

A humorous anecdote Foley has shared several times, including his first autobiography, was when he and the Undertaker were receiving medical attention backstage shortly after the match. Still dazed, he reportedly turned to the Undertaker and asked "Did I use the thumbtacks?" (the use of thumbtacks had become something of a trademark of Foley's during his time in Japan), to which The Undertaker replied, "Mick, look at your arm", as there were thumbtacks still stuck there. Foley also wrote that Calaway was extremely concerned during the match. He thought that the first time he threw Foley off the top of the cell that he had paralyzed him and ended his career, and that the second time that he had killed him, but Calaway continued the match without breaking character. He was also relieved when Foley was able to get back up both times and continue the match, especially since he and Foley are very good friends in real-life.

Many elements of this match, including the fall through the roof of the cage, were reused in Foley's retirement match against Triple H at No Way Out 2000. Video clips of the two falls have been some of the most replayed clips on WWE television.

Now without question, this maybe the most memorable match of the Attitude Era, if not all of wrestling period.

This was another match that the build up was just great. The Mankind vs. Undertaker feud had been going on for the better part of two years, and finally, it had to come to an end.

We all saw what happened in the first Hell in the Cell with Michaels, now we had Foley, so we only knew it was going to be really bad for one person in this match. I remember this match starting off on the top of the cage, and watching it with my cousins like, oh shit, you are kidding me. Before you know it, Foley goes flying off of the cage and we were all stunned to hell and back. It still to this day maybe the best highspot in the history of wrestling. I think even more so then Shane O'Mac's Titantron dives. The chances of falling off the cage and missing the table were probably better then him hitting the cage.

The match stops, which we were pissed off, but in all actuality, it should have stopped there. Then Foley comes back and we were like, you've gotta be kidding me again. That was insane. He struggled to get back up on top. Then, we all know what happens next, the cage buckles due to the chokeslam. Just insane.

The match itself afterwards wasn't great, but what could you expect from all that had happened prior. Plus, I didn't realize the Undertaker was wrestling with a broken foot as well. You have all of that, then thumbtacks at the end, the first time that had been used in the WWE I believe.

I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been said a thousand times about this match. This solidified the Cell as a legit must watch match in the WWF. The Undertaker began his tweener heel turn heel. The "almost Satanic-like" reference described by the announcers was great foreshadowing for the end of the year. This match made Foley's career though. No where near his best match, but easily his most memorable. It got him over as a sympathetic character, which led to him being voted Times Man of the Year in 1998, and winning the WWF title.

This match, while on a technical level was average, on a memorable level, none come close.

Worst HIAC ever. Terrible match. Truly overrated. Most of the poeple who say it's the greatest haven't watched it properly. Here it is in a few words.

Entrances.
Bump off the top of the cage.
Fucking about for a bit.
Hello there's the Funker.
Bump through the cage.
Bump on tacs.
Fin.

That's essentially it. Possibly in the wrong order but that's it. Sure the bumps are impressive but for some reason like the Iron Man match in 1996 this is lorded up like some sort of classic. If anything it ruined the HIAC gimmick forever. Because whenever there's another HIAC match everyones dissapointed when it says in the cage.

Crap.

EDIT: And not many matches can make a total non event out of a bump on some tacs. Especially when the spot wasn't being used every other show.

I agree with Jake to a certain extent, but I do believe this is going to be an all-time classic. It added fuel to the fire of the attitude era. I would have to say this to me was the last good HIAC match.

I agree with the above statements. That HITC was overrated but very memorable. You can pretty much ask any wrestling fan, What was the most memorable match of the Attitude Era? Most would say this one.

The match lives off 2 spots. Take away the 2 spots and the image Foley's tooth up his nose, It wasn't very entertaining and very sloppy throughout. I found the HBK/Taker more classic than this one but there is no denying that this match made the HITC what it is today, But like Jake said it sets expectations to high whenever there is another that only stays inside the cage.

It gave us a great build up and ending to the feud and 2 of the greatest spots ever but was very sloppy,overrated and puts HBK/Taker in the shadows.

good thread
the first hell in a cell was a classic you cannot fail when you put two of the best wrestlers of the last 20 years in any type of gimmick match plus putting a roof on the cage was innoative at the time

the foley undertaker was a classic only for the spots but still memorable all the same. but not as good as the original.

i wont spoil your thread by talking about the rest before you put them on but I will say there has been no hell in a cell yet this year but i can see it happening at no mercy, im praying to god that they dont let orton job to cena in that cage and they let morrison and punk continue/finish their feud in that cell it would be awesome

Hi everyone, this is my first post here of hopefully many.

I agree that this was an amazing HIAC match, but I also agree it really wasn't a wrestling match. I was at the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh to see the HIAC live, and let me tell ya, it was something else to witness that. Everyone in the arena just stood there in shock because we couldn't believe what we just saw. The effect that the match had on people made it a classic moment, no doubt about it. They could've ended the match right then and there and I believe people would still talk about it like they do almost 10 years later (Except we'd have no sweet images of Mick Foley's tooth hanging from his nose). However, there was little to no actual wrestling in this match.

Two important things came out of this match:

1. This proved that wrestling isn't 100% fake. There was no determining how Mick Foley's body could've moved in the air, he could've completely flipped and landed on his head. There was no direct spot he could've fallen on either, he could've missed the table all together. He was in some serious pain.

2. This match showed the heart and drive Foley has for professional wrestling. What other wrestler would've fallen that far to only climb back up the cage and get chokeslammed through it? THEN, he took out thumbtacks and was tombstoned on them. This left fans in total shock!

After the fall off the cage, everyone thought it was over. Stunned as I was, I was also hungry, so I went and bought a hot dog and a drink, when I came back into the arena, I saw the Undertaker grab Foley by the throat and choke slam him through the top of the cage, I dropped my drink and dog. I looked around and everyone was standing still, mouths open, in complete shock. I've never seen such a reaction to a wrestling match.

As stated before, this wasn't so much a wrestling match, but a classic wrestling moment. The WWE made a statement to people saying, hey, this wrestling stuff isn't as fake as you think it is. This also boosted the Undertaker's career a lot more (even though he didn't need more boosting) because he was the guy that threw Foley off the cage. This earned Foley a lot of respect for being able to go out there and do what he did. Yes, the Undertaker was the winner, but in reality so was Mick Foley.

Well I think most people have hit the nail on the head already and that is this HIAC is more now for the what happened with Foley and his near death experiences rather than the wrestling.

Truth be told it this was built up very well as Mankind and Taker has a good feud and this was the best way to finish it off. Though you have to think this match is also know for putting Foley over with the people something that carried him for the rest of his carrier. Looking at it what Foley did to himself in HIAC it was amazing that he was not dead as those bumps were nasty. This match is what attitude lovers remember most of the era and this is what the cell brought. No way you could have any other match than this one.

In a way it was this HIAC IMO that really put over how dangerous the Cell really is and gave it that feel and made fas embrace it for what it is. This was the Cell that IMO put the Hell in the Cell on the mark for dangerous aspect if it.

We fast forward nearly 9 months ahead to the only Hell in the Cell match to appear at Wrestlemania. Hell in the Cell III: The Undertaker vs. the Big Bossman.

WrestleMania XV: The Undertaker vs. Big Boss Man

This contest took place at WrestleMania XV and featured the bodyguard of The Corporation, Big Boss Man, against the leader of the Ministry of Darkness, The Undertaker. It is the shortest pay-per-view Hell in a Cell match to date (lasting 9:46), and is noteworthy mainly for its bizarre ending. After the match was over (which ended with Big Boss Man receiving a Tombstone Piledriver and being pinned by The Undertaker)
wm15a.jpg
, The Brood was lowered from the ceiling to the top of the Cell, where they lowered a noose to The Undertaker. The Undertaker proceeded to hang Boss Man from the cell as it rose to the rafters.
bossman.jpg
Bossman returned to action a few weeks later, with no mention of the hanging spot (it was suggested during the match, however, that the hanging was the "symbolic" hanging of The Corporation by the Ministry of Darkness).

This was just another one of those, what the fuck was WWE thinking about when they had this match. There were too many storylines going on at this point with "insert random person" vs. the corporation. You had Foley vs. Big Show, Rock vs. Austin, X-Pac vs. Shane, Triple H vs. Kane. There really wasn't anyone left to book against the Undertaker, and leaving him off the card altogether would have been just plain dumb.

So looking back, this match blew donkey balls. There was no reason to have the Cell, except to get cheap buy rates, which you shouldn't need at Wrestlemania. The Cell had gained it's reputation as a must watch match from the previous Cell, and this one failed to deliver. The only think people remember was Bossman being hung from the rafters.

Glad to see you were so kind on this HIAC shocky lol. But I'm with you on this this one was WTF are you thinking WWE? Really this deserved not to be at Mania but from my POV it was boring and lets face it boss man was not meant for a match like this. But when i remember it i remember boss man hanging and that about it. Shitty match that really could have gone on its own with the Cell. This was one HIAC that you like to forget and move on.

Crap. But still better than the Mankind/Taker one. I agree that there's no need for a gimmick like this at Mania. In fact I dont see the need for Ladder matches at Mania. The biggest show of the year should draw without the need for them.

The only memorable thing is the hanging and Cole saying you could get a finger caught in the mesh. Which I found amusing. But other than that I dont remember the Cell being used much. Then again this match is a taster of what was to come with HIAC matches ie very little interaction with it.

My personal opinion of Hell in the Cell matches are iffy at best. I like the fact that its a glorified cage match, with extended sides & a roof, but outside of that.. some people go too crazy over it.

My personal favorite HIAC would have to be either H.B.K. v. Triple H. (Bad Blood '04) or the Armageddon 6 Man HIAC. (were I never would've thought Rikishi of all of them was taking the bump off the top)

Regarding the Armageddon one, it was greatly done, but honestly with all those stars didn't need the extra gimmick. Triple H., Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, & Rikishi. Out of all of them, Rikishi is the only one who's never lived up to anything huge. (no pun intended) So they honestly should've had a 6-pack challenge, or my personal favorite type of match.. an elimination style match.

By far, in my opinion, the worst HIAC that I can remember would have to be.. Undertaker v. Brock Lesnar, as they didn't hardly interact with the Cell at all. The only thing they ever did with going outside it, was after Brock won, then he climbed it to celebrate.

No Way Out 2000: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack

After Triple H defeated Cactus Jack in a bloody Street Fight at the 2000 Royal Rumble to retain the WWF Championship, the two booked a rematch for the title: Hell in a Cell at No Way Out 2000. Stipulations held that if Cactus Jack did not win, Mick Foley would be forced to retire.

Things got violent quickly. Some of the highlights of the match were Triple H throwing the steel steps at Cactus Jack, Cactus Jack jumping off the top rope to the outside of the ring crushing Triple H with a steel chair (and breaking his own nose in the process), and Triple H getting his face grinded into the side of the cell. At one point Triple H was going to give Cactus Jack a pedigree on the steel steps, but Cactus reversed it and spring board launched Triple H face first into the cell. Cactus threw the steel steps at Triple H, who got out of the way. The steps then broke through the side of the cell. Cactus Jack then rammed his body into the hole, making it big enough for him and Triple H to get through. After Triple H was piledriven into one of the announce tables, Cactus pulled out a barbed-wire 2x4 and struck Triple H with it several times in the forehead. Soon after, Triple H climbed to the top of the Cell, and Cactus attempted to follow. However, Triple H stomped his hands, and Foley fell off the Cell and through the Spanish announce table.

After managing to climb to the top, Cactus resumed his offense with punches. After back-and-forth exchanges where both wrestlers came very close to the edge of the cage, Cactus Jack set his barbed-wire 2x4 on fire.
foleyblood_nowayout.jpg
After Triple H got back to his feet, Jack struck him with the weapon.
2000.jpg
He then tried to piledrive Triple H onto the 2x4, but Triple H countered with a back body drop. The cage roof broke under Foley's weight, causing him to fall into the ring. Upon impact, he broke through the canvas, which had been rigged to collapse to make the fall safer for Foley
foley-nwo00.jpg
. After the fall, a shocked Triple H
hunterblood_nowayout.jpg
re-entered the cell. After watching Cactus lie motionless for a few minutes, Triple H poked his arm with his foot. Jack rose his arm, which prompted the fans to begin cheering and Triple H to seethe in shock. Cactus began to emerge from the hole in the ring, and tried to get to his feet. Triple H connected with several punches and then hit his finishing move, the Pedigree, to win the match by pinfall and retain the World Wrestling Federation Championship.

As a result, Mick Foley was forced into "retirement". However, he would return one month later to headline WrestleMania 2000 along with Triple H, The Rock, and Big Show.

I'll be interested to see the reaction on this cell match as compared to the second Cell match.

I think this is a damn fine match in itself. Triple H can work, and Cactus Jack at this time could work as well. There match the month before at the Rumble was a treat and a half. The street fight was brutal to all hell, ending with the thumbtack Pedigree, maybe one of the sickest spots I have seen to date in wrestling.

Yes, the cage is violent, and yes the cage is brutal, but it's supposed to symbolize that the feud itself has reached the level to where the two wrestlers just need to beat the hell out of each other to end the damn thing, and that's what we got in this match.

I loved how it seemed there would be no way the Cactus was getting out of the cage, even though he promised to go up to the top one last time. Then the stairs get thrown and Triple H moves, but the steps go through the cage. Brilliant, I didn't see that coming. I cringed when you can watch Foley's arm get ripped open as he lunged through the cage, still sickening to this day to watch.

Anywho, the match goes to the top, and foley treats the WWE to it's first experience with flaming weapons, with the barb wire 2x4. Truly awesome for it's time. Triple H does the back flip, and even though the fall was much safer for Foley this time, the move looks so much more devastating when the ring collapsed around him.

I thought this match was a fitting end to the career of Mick Foley. It was brutal, it was violent, and in the end, he did the job, cough cough Bret Hart. Sure, he wrestled a month later at Mania, but that was really not too big of a deal. He stayed retired for nearly 4 years from in ring competition, which made this retirement match legit. It sucked to see him go, but very thankful for the memories that Cactus Jack/ Mick Foley left the business. Without him, guys like Steve Austin, the Rock, Triple H, or the Undertaker wouldn't be half the stars they are now.

This match was fantastic. Truth is, I thought Foley was taking it. When Triple H won, I was stunned, and the fans gave Foley a great send-off.

I was a bit upset that they tainted the result by allowing Mick the Wrestlemania match so quickly. But even still, this match had a few high spots, violence, anger, a great story line, solid ring psychology (the eerie "I'm still alive spot" usually reserved for The Undertaker...) and some decent wrestling.

This may have been my favorite Hell in a Cell ever.

That was a goo cell match. I was one of those thinking Mick was going to walk out with win as i figured this was up Jacks alley no way the game could win, but he did.

I think Shock and Irish said it best with the things they said, I mean Foley took a bump even though it was planned was still great and the flaming 2X4 was awesome as well. Good cell as the action was there plus the violence and blood.

Awesome Cell great way to end their feud to say but talk about build up for WM16

Definately one of the more underrated Cell matches. People tend to say that it was just a ripoff off the Mankind/Taker HIAC, but the only things they had in common were two similar bumps and Mick Foley. It was a much better match overall, and in alot of ways it was more brutal. Granted, Foley was legitimately hurt in his first HIAC, but HHH/Jack looked worse bcause of the flaming weapons, etc. One of my favorites.

Armageddon 2000: Kurt Angle vs. The Rock vs. Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi

It featured six men, The Rock, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Triple H, and Rikishi, and was for the WWF Championship. In the weeks preceding Armageddon, Vince McMahon had tried to convince the six superstars to step down from the match (he claimed to be concerned for the health of each man), only to receive a Stunner from Austin, a Rock Bottom from The Rock, and finally a Last Ride from the Undertaker in response. The match started on a brutal note, as each man chose another to assault, often leading to rather gruesome attacks (including Steve Austin dragging Triple H's face against all four sides of the Cell). Each competitor would also hit their respective finishing moves on one another.

About ten and a half minutes into the match, Vince came out with a truck and demolition crew with the intent on destroying the Cell and ending the match. The truck ripped the door to the Cell off its hinges, but Commissioner Mick Foley would come out and have Vince removed by security guards, and the match continued. The six men then headed out of the now open cell and fought among and utilized several demolished cars set-up as decorations for the event (notable bumps include The Rock receiving a pedigree from Triple H on the roof of a car, Austin swinging a camera boon knocking Triple H off of a car, and Triple H being sling-shot onto a windshield). The Undertaker and Kurt Angle would eventually brawl their way to the announcer's tables. Shortly after, Triple H began to climb to the top of the Cell to escape from Steve Austin, who climbed after him.
cage.jpg
While the two fought on top, Kurt Angle and The Undertaker began their way to the top of the Cell, and finally, as Triple H and Stone Cold began to make their way down, Rikishi started climbing up to escape The Rock. The Undertaker managed to obtain a steel chair by threatening a timekeeper (saying that if he didn't give him a chair, he would "Come down and rip his head off"), but it was ultimately utilized by Rikishi. Angle climbed down as Rikishi and Taker brawled, which resulted in the most brutal bump of the match, Rikishi being choke-slammed off the Cell into the bed of the truck.
rikishi3.jpg
The truck was full of hay and the suspension very loose so as to break his fall.
rikishi6.jpg
Shortly afterwards The Undertaker collapsed from exhaustion and blood loss on top of the cell and remained there for the rest of the match.

Now back in the Cell, the remaining four wrestlers continued their fight in the ring. After a brief bout, a series of finishers and attempted pins led to The Rock lying unconscious from the Stunner, with Triple H and Stone Cold fighting each other. While the two were distracted, Kurt Angle, who had received a Rock Bottom from The Rock, crawled his way onto the unconscious man for the pin and, against the odds, won the match and retained the WWF Championship.
angle-a00b.jpg

This was what I would call, the last of the old Hell in the Cell matches. The first four matches all had that, what did the cell do to someone moment, even though the Bossman one was lame. This would be the last Cell match before it took a year and a half break and return in may of 2002. Obviously this version of the cell match was the birth of the Elimination Chamber.

Anyway, onto the match. The Match itself, while interesting, was just so damn jumbled. Too many people and too many fights breaking out. It wasn't a bad concept, but I hate multi-wrestler matchups myself.

McMahon rips the cage door down, parking the truck, which it was obvious at that point that someone was going into it. The match outside in the set was okay. A lot of violence and people going threw car windows.

So this match, the entire underlying theme was, who the hell was the Undertaker going to make famous? It got crazy when five of the six guys got up top. (I lost complete respect for the Rock during this match, as he pussed out and didn't climb the cage, while everyone else did, pussy).

Rikishi? Fucking Rikishi gets thrown off the cage. That was insane. Probably the best choice though, as he had the most to gain from this match. However, Kurt Angle in this match was the man, and this match really solidified him as a main event player in the WWF. I figured there was no way in hell that Angle would win, and he proved me wrong.

First, congratulations Shocky for the thread. Awesome idea, just like the great debates, the tag team tourney....ok, enough of love for Shocky :D back to the thread:

I remember before I first watched this match, I was so hyped up by the fact of having the Top of the Crop in one match.

I was dissapointed, but the end saved it all. Let me explain.

As stated by shocky, Angle had almost no chance of winning, but in the end, the reason prevailed. If any other man had won this, It would have been like watching another average RAW.
The match was ok IMO, not a pile of shit, but no great AT ALL, despite being possibly the most star studded macth in years (obviously Rumble doesnt count)
The are some good notes however, like Triple H getting beat by he Rock and Austin (yes, Triple H getting beaten! when was the last time you saw that?) and now that you mention it Shocky, you are right, The Rock acted like a pussy here, what a shame for the People's champ :)
Undertaker climbing the cel: mmhhmm, obviously, someone would be chokeslammed either inside or outside the cell, and Rikishi hit the jackpot there. I dont know if that helped his career at any instance, but it definitely was a must for the macth.
Think on this match as a Finisher training camp: I swear I watched the Rock bottom like a thousand times, not to say that sick Pedigree on a car roof.

Good match, and yes, this was the beginning of the elimination chamber, who I miss so much, not an epic start though.
I guess people got what they paid for: Watch their favorites superstars beating the shit out of each other with their finishers.
Angle winning the macth: Priceless.

Why do you need 6 big names in a HIAC? It was pointless. The Cell should draw on its own. that's what I dont like about Elimination Chambers. Good match but not amazing.

And Rikishi's bump? Meh. It's ok. A fat ass falling on loads of padding is not impressive to me. Foley's looked dangerous. I would have taken the Rikishi one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back