WWE Survivor Series 2011: Aftermath & Discussion

Just to comment on the NYC/Madison Square Garden crowd: Being there last night was amazing! Anyone from NY knows that we don't hold anything back. The random chants for superstars, Taking it back to the attitude era with the "Sexual Chocolate" had Big Show laughing. Its a great feeling being around and part of a crowd who has a historical knowledge of wrestling and appreciates the character by cheering for their portrayal rather than face/heel. (Cody Rhodes cheer, Mark Henry cheers, Overwhelming CM Punk cheer) Randy Orton had to pause and look at the crowd in disbelief as the Cody cheers were so loud and Cody ate it up. The only thing that the crowd didn't really like about the overall show was the fact that there weren't a lot of surprise appearances or comebacks (besides Howard Finkel, and obviously the Rock) We thought that at least Mick Foley would come back as he's from NY and was in Boston the week before or maybe a Kane, Undertaker, HHH appearance.

Aside from this, I was probably one of a few people over the age of 18 who actually cheered heavily for the Rock and didn't boo John Cena. I don't really see any reason not to like him. Contrary to popular belief he actually can wrestle as he has proven any time those "You can't wrestle chants" come up and I just generally feel bad for the guy cause most people just jump on the bandwagon and dislike him (I have a friend who loved John Cena till like a year ago and now hates him). If he makes a character change following Survivor Series, Do you think he will garner some fans back or would he just be hated even more?

Not trying to turn this into a John Cena thread just pondering over the direction of not only Cena's character against the Rock but how Cena's character would play on his storylines not involving the Rock from now till WM.

Survivor Series= A turning point for Cena/Rock or WWE as a whole?

Did anyone notice the panels next to the Titan Tron last night? Each panel featured a star from the match that was being wrestled. Dolph had a panel during the opening bout, and Morrison had the panel on the opposite side. Eve Torres and Beth Phoenix each had a panel. During the traditional SS match, Team Orton was on one panel with Team Barrett on the opposite ... Yet during the main event, one panel was reserved for Cena while the other was reserved for The Rock.

And that should pretty much tell you how the WWE felt about the participation of Awesome Truth in that match. They were after thoughts. This match was about Cena, The Rock and nothing else. For the past few months, the WWE has been building Awesome Truth as a great team that was going to do whatever necessary to get top spots. In one night, they went from being a legitimate threat to being enhancement talent in a match that was as close to a squash match in recent WWE memory.

And for what? To build up a match that won't take place for four more months? To help build up a former star of yesteryear that won't show up on Raw for another three months?

Can someone please explain to me how building The Rock up as this awesome force is going to turn around business for more than one night? The true colors of those in the IWC are finally showing. A majority of you continually complain about hot shot booking ... about how younger guys get buried in favor of the established bunch ... about how the WWE simply tries to give you short-term shock value to increase a rating or a buy rate while not worrying about anything long-term that might increase their numbers for an extended period of time.

Well, complaints about Survivor Series could certainly fit into those categories - but instead of noticing it, most of you were just happy to see The Rock. Some of you have even tried to justify it by saying that "The Main Event did what it needed to do; it built up WrestleMania..."

It did no such thing. I can say with near certainty that no one is more likely to buy WrestleMania in March because The Rock and John Cena teamed up at Survivor Series. That match sold itself; an appearance by The Rock sells itself. Hell, WrestleMania's buy-rates were up last year because people wanted to see The Rock hold a microphone. Reports for SS this year all said that VKM was hellbent on getting 1 million buys for the pay-per view and brought The Rock in because Vince knew he would make that happen. Do you need any other proof that The Rock/Cena match at 'Mania would have sold big-time without this SS match? Then why did it need to happen the way it happened?

For those of you wondering if I thought Awesome Truth should have won last night, the answer is: Hell yes. It didn't need to be due to a turn or a double-cross, but it could have happened due to a miscommunication by Rock and Cena. That would have accomplished a hell of a lot more than a little rock bottom to end the show - and it would have added a lot of steam to the legitimacy of Awesome Truth moving forward.

The WWE needs to use these appearances by The Rock to help establish their current wrestlers. Those are the guys that will still be around for the next three months until Rock returns again. Those are the guys that will be around after WrestleMania when The Rock takes another 7 years off. A win by Awesome Truth would have helped those two ... and it could have enhanced the Cena/Rock rivalry.

Instead, we got two of their top guys getting buried ... their absolute top guy getting laid out ... and a guy we won't see or hear from for a few months standing tall at the end of the night.

You can tell me all you want that this match accomplished what it needed to accomplish. But you'd be dead wrong.

Very good point and I agree with a lot of it:

But in my opinion the lead up to survivor series including survior series was building up the character of the Rock. Reigniting the love for the Rock in the older fans and introducing him to the younger ones. As said by Cena after Survivor Series, "This was your night." Now that Survivor Series is over WWE can concentrate on Cena's character and building up the rest of the characters/storylines like they do for other Wrestlemanias.

Did anyone notice the panels next to the Titan Tron last night? Each panel featured a star from the match that was being wrestled. Dolph had a panel during the opening bout, and Morrison had the panel on the opposite side. Eve Torres and Beth Phoenix each had a panel. During the traditional SS match, Team Orton was on one panel with Team Barrett on the opposite ... Yet during the main event, one panel was reserved for Cena while the other was reserved for The Rock.

And that should pretty much tell you how the WWE felt about the participation of Awesome Truth in that match. They were after thoughts. This match was about Cena, The Rock and nothing else. For the past few months, the WWE has been building Awesome Truth as a great team that was going to do whatever necessary to get top spots. In one night, they went from being a legitimate threat to being enhancement talent in a match that was as close to a squash match in recent WWE memory.

And for what? To build up a match that won't take place for four more months? To help build up a former star of yesteryear that won't show up on Raw for another three months?

Can someone please explain to me how building The Rock up as this awesome force is going to turn around business for more than one night? The true colors of those in the IWC are finally showing. A majority of you continually complain about hot shot booking ... about how younger guys get buried in favor of the established bunch ... about how the WWE simply tries to give you short-term shock value to increase a rating or a buy rate while not worrying about anything long-term that might increase their numbers for an extended period of time.

Well, complaints about Survivor Series could certainly fit into those categories - but instead of noticing it, most of you were just happy to see The Rock. Some of you have even tried to justify it by saying that "The Main Event did what it needed to do; it built up WrestleMania..."

It did no such thing. I can say with near certainty that no one is more likely to buy WrestleMania in March because The Rock and John Cena teamed up at Survivor Series. That match sold itself; an appearance by The Rock sells itself. Hell, WrestleMania's buy-rates were up last year because people wanted to see The Rock hold a microphone. Reports for SS this year all said that VKM was hellbent on getting 1 million buys for the pay-per view and brought The Rock in because Vince knew he would make that happen. Do you need any other proof that The Rock/Cena match at 'Mania would have sold big-time without this SS match? Then why did it need to happen the way it happened?

For those of you wondering if I thought Awesome Truth should have won last night, the answer is: Hell yes. It didn't need to be due to a turn or a double-cross, but it could have happened due to a miscommunication by Rock and Cena. That would have accomplished a hell of a lot more than a little rock bottom to end the show - and it would have added a lot of steam to the legitimacy of Awesome Truth moving forward.

The WWE needs to use these appearances by The Rock to help establish their current wrestlers. Those are the guys that will still be around for the next three months until Rock returns again. Those are the guys that will be around after WrestleMania when The Rock takes another 7 years off. A win by Awesome Truth would have helped those two ... and it could have enhanced the Cena/Rock rivalry.

Instead, we got two of their top guys getting buried ... their absolute top guy getting laid out ... and a guy we won't see or hear from for a few months standing tall at the end of the night.

You can tell me all you want that this match accomplished what it needed to accomplish. But you'd be dead wrong.

I agree with you that Miz and R-Truth were treated like afterthoughts. WWE basically wasted all the build up of them by having them get squashed in this match. However, of all the guys on the roster, they were chosen to job to the top guy in the company right now and a legendary wrestler who most consider an all-time great, making his return after 7 years. They should consider that an honor and a privilege. How many of the guys on the current roster have ever wrestled in a match with The Rock?

They did get a raw deal though. They should have won the match. If they had won, no matter how they won, it would rocket them to the top of the WWE.

The way that match played out and ended, does nothing for WWE. Putting over Miz and Truth would have done much, much more.

I agree with you that Miz and R-Truth were treated like afterthoughts. WWE basically wasted all the build up of them by having them get squashed in this match. However, of all the guys on the roster, they were chosen to job to the top guy in the company right now and a legendary wrestler who most consider an all-time great, making his return after 7 years. They should consider that an honor and a privilege. How many of the guys on the current roster have ever wrestled in a match with The Rock?

They did get a raw deal though. They should have won the match. If they had won, no matter how they won, it would rocket them to the top of the WWE.

The way that match played out and ended, does nothing for WWE. Putting over Miz and Truth would have done much, much more.

Agree!

I honestly thought that at least they would have had the Miz and Truth jump Rock at the end of something...

I think that the WWE is very complacent on certain things; it's as if they are not trying to take things to another level any longer at times.

Survivor Series was a good PPV but the ending sucked lol

I feel the same way about SS as I have every PPV since MITB. It had its moments. For the most part it was decent, but i think it had more flaws than not.

1. Why is Ryder not in that match? They have been pushing him toward it, and, with it being in NY, it was the perfect time. I couldn't concentrate on the US title match because of the chants.

2. I know he wants to cash in at WM, but last night would have been the perfect time for Daniel Bryan to cash in. He gets his ass handed to him by Mark Henry the past 2 weeks, and then Henry's ankle is being put in a cast, perfect opportunity to cash in. It would have made sense seeing as how it would have been the logical thing to do given the feud they have developed in the last 2 weeks. But, hey, its the WWE were dealing with, I think we all know it would be a lot better if we wrote the show.

3. Cena didn't turn heel. And I am starting to wonder if he ever will. I sure hope so, because now he's just getting painful to watch.

Ok guy's thanks for all of the generally posative feedback last week. One thing you should know going into this is that I'm a pretty sarcastic/tounge-in-cheek kind of guy. So don't take EVERYTHING I say too seriously. Now then...

Let's be serious...

The Rock pinning Miz via a people's elbow... not a big deal! He's pinned countless opponents with the people's elbow, including but not limited to: HULK HOGAN (hello!), HHH, Kurt Angle, Big Show, Undertaker. It isn't a travesty that Miz got pinned via a people's elbow, its and honor, and...

Let's be serious...

Last night was the biggest moment in both The Miz and R Truth's careers thus far. And they both delivered. Think about it, I realize that Miz headlined mania. That's good and all, but this is THE ROCK! He's a household name not just for wrestling fans, but for... everyone. And he always talks about how he has the respect of all the grown men in the audience. Well he also has the children because of the fact that he's done a lot of kid friendly movies. And for Miz and R Truth ( I still think they should be called truly awesome, so I refuse to say their actual name. Kind of like chris benoit... without the murder.) to stand up toe to toe and go one on one with the great one AND ABSOLUTLY kill it. To me that trumps any wrestlemania. Which brings me to my next point.

Let's be serious...

John Cena is absolutly screwed right now. He looked week and dumb last night. The Rock made a complete fool out of him. He was better in the ring, had a better physique, didn't get his ass beat for 20 minutes, and the crowd really speaks for itself. In a perfect world, last night should set up a heel turn for cena. He can now stake claim that the crowd turned their backs on him, and cheered for The Rock, and cheered for CM Punk even though they could care less. Make it happen, or Cena is just going to continue to look weak, and dumb everytime Rock is around.

Let's be serious...

CM Punk got just about as loud of a pop last night as the rock. He deserves to finally have a long title reign. And I'm thrilled that the time has finally come for that to happen.

Let's be serious...

Last nights crowd was the best crowd I've heard in a long time. NYC delivered in only a way a few crowds can. The chants were not only loud, but cleaver. When they started the daniel bryan chant, they had me ACTUALLY believing that D Bry was going to cash in right there, and honestly I think they should have called an audible and done so, because that place would have went NUTS!

Let's be serious...

The fink needs to come back. Maybe not full time, but for big events. He is The Rock of wrestling announcers. Even whilefighting back tears, voice cracking and all, he was better than what's -his-face who is announcing now. Bring back The Fink!!!!

Let's be serious...

Women's matches... no one cares. Even in the attitude era when their boobs were always hanging out, and they wrestled in thongs no one cared. I don't care if she did the glam slam off the top rope, I'm still going to take a poop when they're out there.

Ziggler vs Morrison first up, funny to hear Ryder chants..should of made the match a triple thread.Still Ziggler is a blue chipper, solid match for a PPV.Eve vs Beth was good, actually I think Eve should be the face of the Women's division on the babyface side, but we all know why not won't happen.Stil is a better Wrestler than Kelly, and Kelly is falling into the darkness.. just like Morrison.Team Orton vs Team Barrett, boy did the NY crowd have a man crush on Cody, and he was the MVP of the match, he distracted Randy for Wade to get the win.Cody World Title run coming my friend.Overall that match was good, damn Cara was really injured.sad to hear that today, but I thought Cara would eliminate Hunico.Did anyone feel Hunico out there was weird, known Wrestlers compared to him, a guy who just arrived? Henry vs Show, damn Savage like elbow drop from Show, good match not better than the one they had previously, but when Henry was attacking, I was marking..for Daniel Bryan to come out, that idiot! Punk vs Del Rio best had these two had against each other for sure.You know Del Rio will want a rematch..but I thought if Del Rio defeated Punk he would stamp his name a solid champion, after beating Cena a month before that.What to do with him now..hmmm..Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth match of the night for sure...Rocky shined...Fans were nuts, I thought Cena dropped the ball a little no really showing his skills to the Rock..Ending seemed weird to me as well, I was hoping Cena to turn heel, since he will be at WM..Maybe he will get even the next coming months...Overall the show was a 9 out of 10 crowd was hot like Mickie's bootie..

Quick little review

Dolph Ziggler vs. John Morrison- Very good opening match. I think this was a way for the WWE to make Morrison look bad again. I dont think he is resigning. They knew the garden crowd would be all over him and would be chanting for the hometown favorite. 3/5

They brought Ryder out right after the match to save the rest of the roster from being verbally assaulted by the Ryder mob. :lmao:

Beth Phoenix vs. Eve Torres - Not as good as their Vengeance match. Finish was alright. The diva division is really boring. 1/5

Team Orton vs. Team Barrett - good match. It was a little surprising that Team Barrett won. But the booking was perfect. Sheamus got dq and Orton just lost because he was out numbered. Neither looked bad and Orton help put over two future top heels from his brand. You wished they booked Team Cena vs Nexus at Summerslam like they did this match. 3/5

Mark Henry vs. The Big Show - Wow the fans were not into this. The "Sexual Chocolate" and "D-Lo Brown" chants were funny. The "Boring" chants are probably the worst chant you could give during a match. Its one thing if an idiot or two are chanting that but when the whole crowd is chanting that you are in trouble. The Big Show elbow saved the match from being a disaster. 2/5

Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk- This was probably the match of the night. Having Finkel be Punk's personal ring announcer was nice. Punk is very smart.. he knows what appeals to his fanbase. Boy did Del Rio have a shitty reign. Punk no sold his injury when the match was over- 3/5

John Cena & The Rock vs. Awesome Truth- This match went down exactly how I thought it would. It was very predicatable- 2/5

IMO it was a pretty disappointing ppv.

WWE Survivor Series 2011

Dolph Ziggler/With Vickie Guerrero VS John Morrison- United States Championship

I thought this was a good opening match. This one really did feature some good back and forth action, and this match did have a nice competitive feel. Usually, Vickie Guerrero is the biggest distraction during a match, when she roams around the ringside area, but the MSG crowd stole the show here. Vickie did do her best to help Dolph win the match (placing Ziggler’s leg on the ropes, when Morrison tried to go for a cover), but nothing could top the VERY loud “WE WANT RYDER!” chants from the crowd. Ziggler and Morrison were actually having a good match inside the ring, but the loud chants were very distracting here, and the crowd did take a good amount of focus off of the match. I don’t know what’s next for Morrison, but the chances of him wearing some mid card gold are very slim, and a push towards the WWE Championship seems very unrealistic. Morrison might fade away into obscurity soon enough, or he could part ways with WWE, but a push of any kind probably won’t happen anytime soon. Zack Ryder received a warm reception from the live crowd during his post match attack on Ziggler. Ryder has gained a good amount of momentum over the past couple of months, and I actually hope WWE pulls the trigger on him in the near future, because a US title win could give him a nice boost. Match Rating- 7/10

Eve VS Beth Phoenix/With Natalya- Lumberjill Match- Divas Championship

I haven’t had any real interest in the Divas division for months now, and I didn’t expect anything good or great from this match, but this was actually a surprise for me. There was some decent back and forth action here, and Beth’s Glam Slam from the top rope looked unreal. Going to the top rope made her finisher look a lot more devastating, and Eve did a good job of selling her inevitable doom, because Eve’s look of fear before she hit the mat was priceless. I actually enjoyed the match, but I really didn’t understand the point of the Lumberjill stipulation here. The Lumberjills in this match were reduced to the roles of cheerleaders, and they didn’t help influence the outcome of the match at all. I guess WWE wanted to provide some extra eye candy here, but the Lumberjills really didn’t play a major role in this match, and their presence at ringside did feel very meaningless. As far as Beth’s next challenger for the title goes, I can’t say I care too much. The Divas division has had this overwhelming lackluster feeling for months now, and The Divas Of Doom haven’t brought anything special to the table. Match Rating- 6/10

The Rock Backstage

The Rock was able to pump up the crowd with his hilarious and energetic promo from the backstage area. Rock’s mentions of the past wrestling shows, concerts (Frank Sinatra), and sporting events (Ali VS Frazier) provided a good amount of nostalgia, and he did do a good job, as he built up the mystique of Madison Square Garden. Also, I enjoyed Rock’s timeline of his personal history at MSG, and the mentioning of Andre The Giant’s name did get a good reaction from the crowd, and this was an nice moment. This was a very enjoyable promo, and this was a good way to build some more hype for the big main event tag team match.

Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Hunico, & Dolph Ziggler VS Randy Orton, Sheamus, Mason Ryan, Kofi Kingston, & Sin Cara- Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match

The early moments of this match did feel exciting, and there was a quick pace here, but Sin Cara’s injury did kill all of the momentum. This was an unfortunate moment, and the sudden injury was a tough break for Cara, but everything eventually picked up again. This match had a nice steady pace, and some of the eliminations were jaw dropping and surprising (Orton’s RKO on Hunico, and Sheamus’ DQ for losing his temper). This was a pretty enjoyable Survivor Series elimination tag team match, I always look forward to these matches, and this one was very entertaining for the most part. Match Rating- 7/10

Mark Henry VS Big Show- World Heavyweight Championship

The crowd almost killed this one for me, because it was kind of hard to ignore the VERY loud “BORING” chants from the crowd at MSG, but I still enjoyed this match. This match did have a slow pace, but Henry and Show still delivered another entertaining battle of the big men for me. I enjoyed the tests of strength in the early stages of this match. Both men wanted to flex their muscles, and both men wanted to showcase their power. This match was pretty physical, and Show’s elbow drop from the top rope looked unreal. It looked like Show was legit scared, as he contemplated the move on the top rope, and his elbow drop was an amazing spot here. The ring break after the suplex at Vengeance did feel more shocking and jaw dropping, but the elbow drop was still an impressive spot. Henry’s low blow on the Big Show was a surprise for me. I had a strong feeling Henry would retain here, but the DQ finish did catch me off guard. Although, I thought the low blow was a nice touch, because this moment was completely unexpected, and the crowd was pissed. This match had actually gained a nice amount of momentum towards the very end, but Henry took the easy way out, and he really looked like the dirty heel, who didn’t want to fight fair, and he wanted to retain his title at any costs. Henry suffered an injury during Show’s post match leg drop. Show got some revenge, as he returned the favor for Henry’s attack back at Money In The Back, and I really want to see how this storyline will unfold. What’s next for Henry? How will be the new #1 contender? Will Henry take time off because off the injury? There are some very interesting questions that need to be answered, and Mark Henry’s reign as the World Heavyweight Champion is STILL interesting. Match Rating- 8/10

CM Punk VS Alberto Del Rio/With Ricardo Rodriguez- WWE Championship

Wow. I was literally in shock, when Alberto Del Rio tapped out to the Anaconda Vise, because I didn’t think Punk had a chance here. I thought someone would find a way to screw Punk out of the title again, but I’m kind of happy they didn’t go down that route. Yeah, I know, Punk is supposed to be the underdog, but eventually, the underdog has to prevail, so Punk would have to win the gold at some point, if WWE is serious about him being a top dog in the company. This was an enjoyable WWE Championship match, and the MSG crowd was firmly behind Punk here. Ricardo played his usual role as the loyal lackey, he did cause some distractions, and he did interfere in the match, but his shenanigans didn’t bother me too much here. This match featured some very solid back and forth action, and there was a good amount of suspense in the final moments of this one. Punk couldn’t hit the GTS, because Del Rio softened up his left arm, with numerous attacks throughout the match. Punk had to go with the Anaconda Vise, and Del Rio’s frantic struggle did provide some good suspense. As far as Del Rio’s future goes, I really don’t know what to expect as of right now. Sure, he’ll have his rematch against CM Punk, but I highly doubt he’ll win the title back so soon. WWE obviously has a lot of faith in Punk, and he might receive a lengthy run with the belt this time around, and Del Rio probably won’t see too much main event spotlight in the near future. Alberto Del Rio has received a HUGE push this year, but I think he needs to take a long break from the world title picture. The bar has been set very high for the man of destiny, but Del Rio’s time on WWE’s flagship show has felt very disappointing most of the time. Del Rio’s time on Raw hasn’t been that spectacular, and both of his WWE Championship reigns were very forgettable. I think Del Rio could use another fresh start, and a future move to Smackdown could help him, and maybe he could have another try at the main event scene in the future. Match Rating- 7/10

The Miz & R-Truth VS The Rock & John Cena

The Rock didn’t show any signs of ring rust, because he was sharp as ever here. The Rock was in great physical condition, and he was in the zone during the entire match. The Rock looked very good here, this was an impressive in ring return for him, and he really didn’t show any signs of a seven year layoff. As far as the match goes, I thought this was a pretty entertaining tag team match. This match had a lot of hype surrounding it, and for the most part, I thought it delivered well. The crowd was really into this, you could feel the tension between Rock and Cena here, and this match did feature some good energy at times. Also, the Rock Bottom on Cena during the post match celebration/argument was a nice touch here, because a friendly handshake and the “I don’t like you, but I respect you” stuff would’ve been incredibly lame and corny here. If they DO plan on doing something like this, I hope the friendly truce happens after the match after Wrestlemania. This will be a big match at Wrestlemania 28 next year, this feud needs to stay fresh, and staying on the “these two superstars don’t like each other” path is a good choice. The post match Rock Bottom threw some more fuel on the fire, and these two won’t have a friendly contest at Wrestlemania, because The Rock took another shot at Cena. This rivalry will have more steam heading into Wrestlemania, and everything seems a little bit more interesting now. This was an enjoyable main event, this tag team contest did help build some extra hype for the match at Wrestlemania, and this was a nice way to close out the show. Match Rating- 8/10

Overall Show Rating 8/10- Survivor Series 2011 was a pretty good show overall. Both world title matches delivered, and Punk could finally breathe some new life into the WWE Championship picture. It always felt like this show could’ve been more epic, because we did see Rock’s long awaited return to the ring here, but this show was still very enjoyable. Rock and Cena VS Miz and Truth was a fun main event, and Punk winning the WWE Championship did provide an amazing highlight for this show.

1. Dolph Ziggler vs. John Morrison for the WWE United States Championship - Solid match as expected from these two. I knew Ziggler would win, but I was hoping after he won that Teddy Long would come out afterwards and say Ryder has a shot at the title right now. Oh well.

2. Beth Phoenix vs. Eve Torres for the WWE Divas Championship - Other than the Gland Slam from the top turnbuckle, the match was just there. Lumberjills were pointless. Hopefully they do a submissions match one day.

3. Team Orton vs. Team Barrett - Good match, but why did they have Sheamus get disqualified for not breaking at 5? There was no point to that. Right people survived.

4. Mark Henry vs. The Big Show for the World Heavyweight Championship - This match sucked. It was so boring as the crowd rightfully chanted. Bryan should have had some type of involvement in this.

5. Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk for the WWE Championship - Did anybody else think that Punk's personal ring announcer was going to be Colt Cabana? I did and I'm sure it would have been entertaining. Anyway this match was great! Easily the match of the night. These two need to have a submissions match next.

6. John Cena & The Rock vs. Awesome Truth - Match was ok. There was a lot of stalling, but when they worked it was good. The Rock still has it in the ring like he does with his promos. John Cena is awful and there didn't seem to be anybody cheering him. Please turn him full heel! It would have been cool if the Rock demanded Michael Cole got the hell out so Jim Ross could announce the main event. That would have gotten a good pop.

1. Dolph Ziggler vs. John Morrison for the WWE United States Championship -

I liked the match. It really wasn't hyped up or anything but these guys really worked very well. I really liked the ending when Ryder came out and did his thing.

2. Beth Phoenix vs. Eve Torres for the WWE Divas Championship -

There were some good spots, but the best was the one where Beth does the glam slam on Eve from the top turnbuckle. I wish Vince would stop screwing around and either have the Divas play more of a role or just drop the division altogether. The fact that the Divas showed up to stand around the ring and had very little involvement when you have TNA, using their Knockouts, really pisses me off.

The Rock - You can't have Rock at a PPV without him talking to the fans. The fans would have been really disappointed. Did he do the whole 'Finally the Rock has come back to ...' I can't remember. Any how good to see the WWE used the Rock's mike ability to please the crowd.

3. Team Orton vs. Team Barrett -
I'm really glad they did a traditional survivor series match. I hated that Kingston got eliminated and it's really too bad about Sin Cara. The fact that Wade Barrett and Rhodes were sole survivors really turned me off. I would have been happier if it were Swagger and Rhodes. But not a bad match.

4. Mark Henry vs. The Big Show for the World Heavyweight Championship -

No one expected a fast paced match but the fans weren't behind this as much as the other matches. They came alive when Show came off the top with an elbow though. I didn't like the finish with the deliberate DQ, but it was ok.

5. Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk for the WWE Championship -

Match of the night. These guys really pulled out the stops and I'm glad Punk won. The problem for me is with the Rock being the headliner of the event, the attention will go to Rock and Cena.

6. John Cena & The Rock vs. Awesome Truth -

This was the reason people bought the tickets and the PPV. I have to be honest, I expected and wanted more. I mean the way th match ended was a letdown for me. it was too short an I thought they could have done more. They had two of the industry's biggest stars and we saw no tag teaming between them. I mean fans would have gone nuts for that and the fans didn't get that. Cena was pummelled, then put in the Rock and let him get pummelled then he tags in Cena and the two of them clean house. It shouldn't have ended with a Rock bottom or an FU. They could have done better with the storytelling. I'm glad for Miz and Truth because that match will more than likely give them more exposure than any other match they'll ever have, I just wish it was a better match. The two of them pummelling the Rock, and executing some of their moves on him would have really added to more to this match an shown they can step up. Them pummelling on Cena is nothing new, them pummelling on the Rock would have gotten them even more heat with the crowd and increased fan interest in the storytelling of the match as much as the star power involved in it.

It was a decent event and had some real great moments. The problems ? Divas aren't being utilized. They aren't great but they could have had a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 elimination Survivor Series match with Beth Phoenix and Natalya leading a team against Kelly and Eve's team. If you're going to have Ziggler defend and be in a five on five, why not have Rhodes defend and be on a five on five ? BTW, where the hell is Daniel Bryan ? Why isn't he on any of the ppvs ? The final problem is the main event underperformed so badly that it sort of made it hard to really like the whole event.

I give it a B-, good but not as great as I thought it should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back