WWE Summerslam General Discussion & Reviews

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I have an absolutely awful feeling for Summerslam. With the amount of rematches/people who still need to get on the card it's looking like a very long long PPV.

You could easily have any or all of the following:

Nakamura vs Baron 2
Owens vs AJ 3
Cena vs Mahal
Khali vs Orton (or any Orton match)
Natalya vs Naomi
Another Smackdown Diva Match Charlotte and Becky vs tamina Lana
New Day vs Usos 2 many
Fashion Police Segment/Match
Bray vs Finn
Jason Jordan match
Miztourage vs Seth Rollins and Dean
Raw Tag Fatal Fourway
Alexa vs Sasha
WWE championship match
Big Cass vs Big Show and Enzo
Tozawa vs Neville
Truth vs Goldust

That still leaves Rusev, Ryder, Crews, Ziggler, Gable, Mike Kanellis, Zayn, most divas off card. It's poised to be overkill.

I get that some of these will be dealt with on TV but after tonight's PPV I have a really scary feeling it could drag badly.

I have an absolutely awful feeling for Summerslam. With the amount of rematches/people who still need to get on the card it's looking like a very long long PPV.

You could easily have any or all of the following:

Nakamura vs Baron 2
Owens vs AJ 3
Cena vs Mahal
Natalya vs Naomi
New Day vs Usos 2 many
Bray vs Finn
Jason Jordan match
Raw Tag Fatal Fourway
Alexa vs Sasha
WWE championship match
Tozawa vs Neville
Truth vs Goldust

That still leaves Rusev, Ryder, Crews, Ziggler, Gable, Mike Kanellis, Zayn, most divas off card. It's poised to be overkill.

I get that some of these will be dealt with on TV but after tonight's PPV I have a really scary feeling it could drag badly.

Man, that card you posted looks awful. I have little to no interest in like 75% of those matchups. With a deep and talented roster, how can they not have strong cards for the major PPVs?

I guess you forget the Kickoff Show is 2 hours again this year. Plus there's 4 weeks between now and then. So i think a couple of those will be done on RAW & Smackdown during the buildup.

That card is excessive but it'll be much like last year. It'll be a real drag.

My recommendation, if you're nervouse about being overwhelmed by mediocre wrestling action, don't watch all in one go. Ta-da!

The Card needs more quality and less quantity on matches....

6 Raw Matches
1) Lesnar vs. Reigns vs. Stroman vs. Joe (Universal Title)
2) Bliss vs. Banks (Women's Title)
3) Ambrose/Rollins vs. Sheamus/Cesaro (Tag Titles)
4) Balor/Anderson/Gallows vs. Wyatt/Rowan/Harper
* Club reforms and Rowan/Harper move to Raw
5) The Miz vs. Jason Jordan (I-C Title)
6) The Hardy's vs. The Revival

5 Smackdown Matches
1) Jinder Mahal vs. John Cena (WWE Title)
2) Owens vs. Nakamura (US Title)
3) New Day vs. Uso's (Ladder Match)
4) Naomi vs. Natalyia
5) Styles vs. Orton vs. Corbin vs. Rusev (#1 contender to World Title Match)

Storylines that should happen on the way to Wrestlemania......

Cena wins the Rumble (Challenges Reigns at Wrestlemania)
Styles wins back WWE Title and faces Nakamura at Mania
Charlotte wins gold on Smackdown faces Rousey at Mania
S. Banks wins gold on Raw faces Auska at Mania
Broken Hardy's move to Smackdown and face New Day at Mania
Wyatt family reforms on Raw and has extended feud with Balor/Anderson/Gallows
Jason Jordan has extended run as I-C champ and becomes heel like his "Dad"
Owens has face turn and reunites with Zayn (they move to Raw when Hardy's flip brands)
Paul Heyman starts to manage Baron Corbin, Big Cass, & Braun Stroman after Lesnar exits the company.

Most of that matches jusr serve as B level PPV fillers and dont even deserve to be on any PPV. Summerslam would be much shorter. So you could easy scrap at least 5 of those matches.

They've already announced Summer Slam will be 4 hrs. just like it has been for years now. Most of those matches will be saved for TV, two of them will likely be on the kickoff show, & some of them will be combined for multi-man matches.

Not everybody is going to get on the card and that's ok. Some people will be left off that probably shouldn't but when you have such a massive roster, that's pretty much unavoidable, even when the show is 6 hours long. As others have said, some feuds will probably be thrown together and others will be on the pre-show.

Nakamura vs Baron 2
Owens vs AJ 3
Cena vs Mahal
Natalya vs Naomi
New Day vs Usos 2 many
Bray vs Finn
Jason Jordan match
Raw Tag Fatal Fourway
Alexa vs Sasha
WWE championship match
Tozawa vs Neville
Truth vs Goldust

You could considerably narrow this list down to...

Pre-show:

Raw Tag Title Match
Smackdown Women's Clustermatch
Neville/Tozawa

Main Card:

New Day/Whoever for the SD Tag straps
Owens/AJ/Corbin/Nakamura for the US strap
Nattie/Naomi for SD Women's strap
Alexa/Sasha for the Raw Women's strap
Bray/Finn
Miz/Rollins/Ambrose for IC strap
Orton/Khali
Cena/Mahal for the WWE strap
Lesnar/Reigns/Joe/Strowman for Universal strap

Sure that leaves guys like Zayn, Rusev, Jordan, Cass, etc. in the lurch but like I said, not everybody needs to be on every PPV, especially the dual-branded ones.

I honestly don't understand why people complain about the PPVs these days when they are all on The Network now. The Big 4 should be treated more special than the B Shows and try to get as many guys on the Show as possible. You can say what you want about the length of them but when it's your own Network you can do what you want.

I'm going to the show(unless I sell my ticket) so I don't mind that it will be long. More bang for my buck. If you are not going to the show and don't have the network then don't worry about it. Just don't watch if you feel it will bore you. If you have the network, it will go on demand so you can skip through the stuff you don't want to watch.

I don't understand how you have this FANTASTIC roster and these are the rumored matches. It's your second biggest show of the year not a battleground.
This is what I would happen:
Preshow
- smackdown tag
-smackdown women
-cruiserweight match
Main card
- universal championship fatal four way
-bray vs balor
- triple threat IC title
- raw tag team fatal four way
- Sasha vs Alexa
- cena vs Nakamura
- AJ vs Orton- wwe title
- Kevin Owens vs Tye Dilinger or fatal four way with zayn and mike in it

What will happen
Preshow
- smackdown tag
-smackdown women
-cruiserweight match

Main card
- universal championship fatal four way
-bray vs balor
- triple threat IC title
- raw tag team fatal four way
- Raw women fatal four way
- Aj vs Kevin US title
- Corbin vs Nakamura
- Jinder and Khali vs Orton and cena

SummerSlam is a big four event and realistically, not everyone needs nor should be on the card. I'd say a few of the ongoing feuds will be dealt with before the event on television most likely, and we could get some throw away multi-man tag team matches to compensate. WWE just needs to focus on the feuds that matter, including making the title matches as big as they can be. Sometimes not cramming everything in is what is best. Plus, with a two-hour pre-show, some of the shorter mid-card matches can be dealt with there because the reality is that nobody really cares about feuds like Mike Kanellis vs. Sami Zayn.

We all know the drill by now. Keep all future discussions on SummerSlam, aside from officially announced matches, in here.

Confirmed matches for the show thus far are:

WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman
WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley
WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Naomi vs. Natalya

On the Raw side of things, I think some of the likely matches we'll see are:

WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins
WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville vs. Akira Tozawa vs Ariya Daivari
WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. the Hardy Boyz vs. Anderson & Gallows vs. the Revival
Singles Match - Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt
Singles Match - Big Show vs. Big Cass

For SmackDown, some likely matches, or at least possible matches, are:

WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal vs. John Cena
WWE United States Championship - Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles
WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship - New Day vs. the Usos
Singles Match - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Baron Corbin
Singles Match -Randy Orton vs. the Great Khali

DFrIbIsXoAA6JSh.jpg:large

I think this could be a pretty good card:

WWE Universal Championship- Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman- Roman Reigns is rumoured to be winning this bout and defending against Brock in a No Mercy rematch to finally beat him one-on-one with the title on the line clean. If that does happen I'll have something to add to my thread "WCWF did it first" considering the exact same circumstances lmao. But this could lead to us getting the biggest dream match of this era in Cena vs. Reigns at WrestleMania 34 for the Universal Championship. Maybe we see a double turn happen, maybe we see the whole "passing of the torch" hugging, cheesing, hand-raising, pyro moment.

WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura-
I would imagine Jinder would retain, setting up a rematch at Hell In A Cell without outside intereference hopefully this time with Shinsuke defeating Jinder to win the title and defeating him in a rematch, Shinsuke moving on to feud with another top heel (Rusev and winning the feud, before defending against 2018 Royal Rumble Winner, "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles in one of the main events of WrestleMania 34. Based off the poster we could see some sort of Triple Threat with Cena here though. Even though Cena is on ever major PPV poster so take that with a grain of salt.

WWE United States Championship- AJ Styles vs. John Cena-
Big rumor is this match is set for SummerSlam over the obvious. AJ retaining here and both icons shake hands, and AJ moves on to feud with Baron Corbin where he would eventually drop the title later in the rivalry.

Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens-
Seems to be where they're going here. Owens beating the crap out of Shane in this one.

Singles Match - Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt-
Bray is rumored to be winning this while bringing out "The Demon" persona of Finn, and moving on to feud with Reigns for the Universal Title beginning possibly at Survivor Series.

WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks-
Sasha heel turns her way into this. Either that or it remains one-on-one with Sasha costing Bayley.

WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Naomi vs. Natalya-
PLEASE LET NATAYLA WIN!!

WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Jason Jordan-
Miz retaining cheaply, but evetually dropping the title to the latter.

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. The Shield (Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose)-
Rollins and Ambrose wins the belts on their march to a potiental Shield reunion. I imagine this reunion will only last to build to Rollins vs. Ambrose at Mania.

WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship- New Day vs. The Usos-
Who really cares? Feud has been decent, matches has been good, but I have no interest in The New Day at alll.

Triple Threat Tag Team- The Hardy Boyz vs. The Club vs. The Revival- Filler, only on the main card because of The Hardy Boyz.

Kickoff Show:
Singles Match - Big Show vs. Big Cass-
Quick match that would probably swap places with the latter tag match on the main card.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship- Neville vs. Akira Tozawa vs Ariya Daivari-
Should be great. Neville should retain and eventually drop the belt to Cedrick Alexander, who's fans reactions is one of the key reason why they brought back a complete division and title, rather than just a tournament.

Singles Match-Sami Zayn, Chad Gable, Tye Dillenger vs. Baron Corbin, Rusev, Mike Kanellis-
Filler get these incredible stars on SummerSlam.

I left Orton, Khali, Jericho off as I feel Orton may take a vacation, Jericho is not completely back, and that (hopefully) the return of The "Great" Khali was just a one night deal.

I wouldn't mind if Orton didn't wrestle on the show, but you know wwe. They like the guy so much that they will find a place for him. He is so stale it's not even funny.

After tonight's SmackDown Live, the card looks like this:

WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman vs. Samoa Joe
WWE United States Championship - AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens w/ Shane McMahon as the special referee
WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley
WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Naomi vs. Natalya
Singles Match - Randy Orton vs. Rusev

As to the rest of the card, I think the following are probable matches:

WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Jason Jordan
WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville vs. Akira Tozawa
WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins
WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship - The New Day vs. The Usos
Singles Match - John Cena vs. Baron Corbin
Tag Team Match - The Hardy Boyz vs. The Revival vs Gallows & Anderson

What is the point of Summerslam being a dual-branded ppv if there are no interpromotional matches? This was the perfect opportunity for them to give us Reigns vs Cena. I'm not a fan of either guy, but I do realize the match could easily headline this event and would sell. Cena is supposed to be a free agent, so have him show up on Raw, issue an open challenge, and have Reigns answer it. Instead we're getting Cena vs Corbin, which would be fine if I thought for one second that they might actually put Corbin over. They've been following the same formula for years now where the MITB contract winner goes on a losing streak up until he cashes in. Why not keep the contract winner's momentum going so he looks unbeatable when he becomes champion? I don't know, it's just annoying watching everyone hover around a .500 record all the time.

Anyway, there should be at least one interpromotional match. Last year it was Orton vs Lesnar. Apparently we aren't getting one this year.

It just occurred to me that John Cena doesn't have a feud or opponent for Summerslam, since Shinsuke Nakamura is essentially the one who will meet Jinder Mahal for the WWE title.

Now on Smackdown, all possible individuals(worthy of facing Cena) are locked to participate against one another- Styles-Owens, Rusev-Orton, and of course Mahal-Nakamura.

So I contemplated whether there's anyone else who doesn't have a Summerslam opponent, barring the Sami Zayns, Mike Bennets and Aiden Englishes :)lmao: ). I just realized Baron Corbin is the only one on Smackdown without an opponent for Summerslam.

It's also noteworthy that SDL already has these three matches, a match for the women's title, and possible some tag team match as well? Which makes up 5 matches.

On the Raw side too, everyone who could be a worthy opponent for Cena is already entangled in a match/feud-Joe, Roman, Lesnar, Strowman, Wyatt, Balor, Rollins, Ambrose, etc.

A random name which comes to mind is Big Cass(yawn). You never know, if they were really eager to push Cass, after his decimation of Enzo and Big Show, they would need someone to put him over and they may just have him beat Cena. I'd rather Cena put over Sami Zayn than Big Cass or Baron Corbin.

So is Cena going to feud with someone from Raw or SD I cannot conceive of, or is he off Summerslam? If it's the latter, it's sort of hard to conceive.

On a Side note, I feel like the WWE made a colossal mistake giving away Cena-Nakamura without any build(similar to their plans of having Austin put over Brock on a random KOTR Qualifier on Raw), which could easily have been a huge SummerSlam co-mainevent, if not some sort of a "dream match".

Perhaps they didn't have any opponent for Mahal from the SDL roster. But whatever may be the case, Cena-Nakamura deserved to be a first-timer for Summerslam.

He's facing Corbin.

They did something after the show which is on WWE's youtube channel. Cena hit the AA through the announce desk on him which all but confirms the match.

Should be good. Except Corbin to lose and then win the title later in the night setting up a Corbin/Cena rematch for the title.

He's facing Corbin.

They did something after the show which is on WWE's youtube channel. Cena hit the AA through the announce desk on him which all but confirms the match.

Should be good. Except Corbin to lose and then win the title later in the night setting up a Corbin/Cena rematch for the title.

Jesus are you trying to get the fans to crap all over everything? Give the belt to Nakamura, only to have him lose it to Corbin minutes later, THEN have Corbin feud with Cena?? Then why have Nakamura win it in the first place? Why not just go Mahal vs. Cena instead if that were the case? The longer term fued is Nakamura/Corbin, they were feuding before all of this with no resolution yet, Corbin then basically steals the belt from Naka, then they continue the feud over the belt.. Even though I don't think Corbin is ready for the main event title picture. Cena's going off the make movies and go to Raw. That's mainly why he's not the #1 contender now and Nakamura is, Nakamura is taking his place as the top babyface on SD!

Based on various reports, the layout of the WWE landscape right now and a little guess work, the final card should look something like this:

WWE SummerSlam Kickoff Show
1. WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville vs. Akira Tozawa

2. WWE SD Tag Team Championship - The New Day vs. The Usos

3. Tag Team Match - The Hardy Boyz vs. Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson

WWE SummerSlam Main Card
1. WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

2. WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman

3. WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Jason Jordan

4. WWE United States Championship - AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens

3. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks

4. WWE SD Women's Championship - Naomi vs. Natalya

5. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose

6. Singles Match - John Cena vs. Baron Corbin

7. Singles Match - Randy Orton vs. Rusev

8. Singles Match - Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt

9. Singles Match - Big Show vs. Big Cass (with Enzo Amore suspected above the ring in a shark cage.)

Apparently we aren't getting an interpromotional match this year. I really thought this was the best time for Reigns vs Cena, but they could be waiting til Mania since Cena is apparently moving to Raw.

Other than that, Charlotte is the only one I think you overlooked. I'd prefer to see her in a 1 on 1 match, but I think they'll end up throwing her in a tag match. Something like her and Becky vs. Camella and Tamina/Tamina and Lana.

I think outside of the hardy'S and charlotte, every major name has a match on summerslam this year.

I wouldn't be surprise if we get some sort of tag match between Charlotte and becky vs lana and tamina on the summerslam kickoff because it seem to be headed this direction with lana challenging charlotte for a match tonight.

As for the hardy's, i don't know what you are going to do with them at summerslam. The only thing i could see is if they put them in a match with gallows and anderson but at they did that match so many times lately, i don'T thing it's main card worthy and if they decide to do this, it might be a kickoff match as well.

Also forgot about The Miz but i wouldn't be surprise if they decide to do a Miz TV segment to advance is storyline with Jason Jordan.

Outside of that, with Cena'S match probably being confirm on tonight'S smackdown, i don't see anything else missing this year. it'S not a great card but they have some really strong matches schedule for the show.

WWE SummerSlam Kickoff Show

1. The Hardy Boyz & Jason Jordan vs. The Miz & The Miztourage - We already saw this match this past Monday on Raw, so the only reason to do it again was to give the heels a win, which is what happened. As a result, we'll probably get the rubber match on Raw. It was an okay match for a kickoff show match, nothing overly special though it did continue the build for what looks like an eventual IC title feud between Miz and Jordan. The Miz scores the win for his team after making a blind tag and hitting Jordan with the SCF a little past the 10.5 minute mark. **1/4

2. WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Akira Tozawa vs. Neville - It was a good effort overall and both these two have good chemistry with one another. However, the ending is one of those where it makes me think that Vince suddenly changed his mind for seemingly no apparent reason. Neville was in the middle of a great 200+ day run, so why interrupt it simply to put the title on someone for less than a week? Neville regains the title about the 12 minute mark after hitting Red Arrow. ***1/4

3. WWE SD Tag Team Championship - The New Day vs. The Usos - Another fantastic match in a series of fantastic matches featuring these two teams. Each match of their feud has been a bit better than the one before it and this one was no exception as they just have that magic with each other. There were some great near falls scattered through the match and everyone involved was given an opportunity to shine. Why this wasn't on the main card is another one of those things that makes you wonder just what Vince is thinking. The ending was a bit of a surprise as I expected the New Day to retain the titles. The end comes about the 20 minute mark with Big E taking a double Samoan splash with one Uso landing on his upper body while the other landed across his lower body for the clean win. ****1/4

WWE SummerSlam Main Card

1. John Cena vs. Baron Corbin - It was weird seeing Cena in the opening match. The match was pretty solid overall, it went pretty much the way I figured it would. Corbin got in a good amount of offense but I never once felt like Cena was even in the slightest bit of danger. Cena hits the AA for the win maybe 20 seconds past the 10 minute mark. **1/2

2. WWE SD Women's Championship - Naomi vs. Natalya - This was an entertaining showing for the ladies. They worked hard and it was a nice mix of athleticism vs. technical ability. Naomi managed to escape the Sharpshooter once in the match and showed some courage. The end comes with Natalya countering a split legged moonsault attempt from Naomi by getting her knees up. She then slaps her in the Sharpshooter once again, this time forcing Naomi to tap out about the 11 minute mark. ***1/4

3. The Big Show vs. Big Cass - This was the weakest match of the night. That's not to say that it was completely awful, Big Show did a great job of selling his injured hand throughout the match and the told a decent story overall. The problem was that the offense was just flat out dull and the fact that everyone was waiting to see how Enzo would try to affect the match didn't help. Enzo managed to slip through the bars of the shark cage after pouring some oil all over himself he had stashed in his underwear though he wound up eating a running boot from Cass the moment his feet touched the mat. Cass hit a couple of running boots on Big Show before hitting the Empire Elbow for the win at the 10.5 minute mark. *1/4

4. Randy Orton vs. Rusev - This match was too short to rate but I was entirely satisfied with how this turned out. I had less interest in this match, which is to say I had no interest whatsoever, so I'm glad they kept it very short. It ultimately started with Rusev jumping Orton from behind before the match started while Orton was doing his pre match posing and posturing to the crowd. After spending a few minutes beating Orton around on the outside, he rolled him back into the ring and the ref separated them, checking on Orton to see if he was okay to start the match. Orton gives the ref the okay, the bell rings, Rusev charges into the corner but slams into the turnbuckles after Orton moves, he staggers out of the corner a bit before eating a wicked looking RKO and Orton wins in about 10 seconds. NA

5. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks - Another good women's title match and this match ultimately went about like I figured, except for the ending. Bliss works well with Sasha as this one, plus their last encounter at Great Balls of Fire, has been her best in-ring work on the main roster. Some good storytelling and action all around and I liked how Bliss kept countering the Bank Statement by putting pressure on Sasha's "injured" arm at various times. The match ultimately ended about 20 seconds past the 13 minute mark with Bliss finally tapping out to the Bank Statement, making Sasha Banks a 4 time Raw Women's Champion. ***1/4

6. Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt - A good match, though nothing terribly special apart from Balor's entrance and it was interesting to see Bray Wyatt coming off as a bit intimidated by Balor's "Demon" persona. The entrance and the persona are the only reasons why this match really even went down. Balor picks up the win at the 10.5 minute mark via the Coup de Grace. **3/4

7. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins - This was a helluva match with both teams working hard and the crowd being completely invested. It started off slow but really picked up in the last 12 minutes or so with some really fun near falls and a few flashy moves from Rollins here and there. The end comes about the 20 minute mark after Rollins delivers a springboard hurricanrana that takes Cesaro off the tope rope and drives him into Sheamus as they attempt to deliver their double team White Noise finisher. Rollins then catches Sheamus with the big knee only for Ambrose to hit Dirty Deeds to pick up the win and the tag titles. ****1/4

8. WWE United States Championship - AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens - A great effort from both men that featured just the right amount of involvement of Shane McMahon as the special referee. Shane had some moments, mostly those where he wound up being accidentally hit through shenanigans of Kevin Owens, but nothing he did or happened to him overshadowed the match itself. There was a nice little false finish after Owens hit Styles with the Pop up Powerbomb, Shane did technically count three but he saw that AJ Styles had his foot on the lower rope about the same time his hand made the three count. As the match continued, Styles eventually gains the upper hand and winds up hitting the Phenomenal Forearm before putting the finishing touch on Owens by hitting the Styles Clash for the win about the 18 minute mark. ***3/4

9. WWE Championship - Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - This match was just plain dull because Jinder Mahal is just plain dull. I've kept waiting to see if Jinder would break on through to that next level, I haven't criticized the guy or blasted WWE for putting the title on him as I wanted to give him time. Well, it's been over 3 months now and Jinder is still dull in the ring, he's dull as a character, he's dull on the mic and all of his matches end the same with the Singh Brothers providing some sort of interference to help him win. At the very, very best, Jinder is an average wrestler with a phenomenal physique and it's getting time for him to drop the strap. **

10. WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman - This was one highly energetic, chaotic brawl that pretty much obliterated the ringside area and made Braun Strowman look even more like a star than he already has. Strowman owned Lesnar tonight, there's just no other way to put it as their interactions resulted in Strowman physically dominating Lesnar the way Lesnar dominates just about everyone else. The spots where Strowman powerslammed Lesnar through two announce tables really got the crowd going, though they were going from bell to bell. Reigns and Joe both got their licks in on Lesnar as well, giving strong showings of themselves. Lesnar himself also came off looking like a badass after staggering back to the ringside area after being carted out on a stretcher due to Strowman's powerslams. The end comes about the 21 minute mark after the ring is cleared except for Reigns and Lesnar, Lesnar delivers an F-5 to Roman Reigns to retain the Universal Championship. A very, very satisfying ending to a well built match. ****3/4

Final Thoughts - From an overall perspective, I thought SummerSlam was a fun show. there were a few decisions that were head scratchers such as why Neville regained the Cruiserweight Championship less than a week after his 200+ day reign was ended, and why the morst boring wrestler on the roster, Jinder Mahal, is still WWE Champion. The matches that ultimately delivered the most were both the Women's & Tag Team Championship matches, the US Championship match and the Universal Championship main event. SummerSlam was a much stronger show, in my opinion, this year than it was last year but it wasn't remotely as good as TakeOver: Brooklyn III though I can't say I was at all surprised by that.

Grade: B

The WWE held its 2nd biggest show of the year tonight. This year's Summerslam event had a very stacked card, much like Wrestlemania did. I'd say that it met expectations. There were plenty of matches from both brands and every title was up for grabs except for the Intercontinental Championship. Let's take a look at this show.

Pre-show: Hardys & Jason Jordan VS Miz & The Miztourage
I missed this because I was out getting snacks and waters for the PPV party before the main card started. I'm not in any way unhappy that I missed this. The end result was dumb, but since it was on the pre-show it doesn't matter anyway.

Pre-show: Akira Tozawa VS Neville [Cruiserweight Championship]
Neville should never have lost the title to begin with. This made Tozawa's win completely pointless. I hate it then the WWE does this. It's one of my biggest pet peeves with them. No surprise at all that this was on the pre-show.

Pre-show: New Day VS The Usos [Smackdown Tag Team Championship]
This ended up being good, especially for a pre-show match. The titles going back to The Usos was just about as dumb as Neville getting the Cruiserweight Championship back. Really not sure where they are going here unless Breezango needed heels to feud with for the titles. They should be next instead of continuing this feud further.

Baron Corbin VS John Cena
Yeah, this sucked. Corbin must have made the wrong people angry backstage. It's a bad sign when the most entertaining thing about Corbin is when he gets called a Dumpster Fire by Cena. He wasn't ready for a big push and I doubt he recovers from this week. The new entrance theme is cool at least.

Natalya VS Naomi [Smackdown Women's Championship]
This was about as good as it was going to get. Natalya is better than Naomi so her winning was the right call, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I would much rather Becky or Charlotte had gotten the title shot at this show. I am genuinely shocked that Carmella did not cash in.

Big Cass VS Big Show
Stupid, stupid, stupid! Shark Cage matches are always dumb. Enzo escaping from the cage after all his weird antics up there, only to get kicked by Cass was the only good thing about the match. Cass should move on to another feud next and Big Show can keep on being boring in some other feud.

Randy Orton VS Rusev
Seriously? This can't even be called a match. I love the RKO finisher as much as the next fan, yet I'm not sure why this was so short of a match. Granted it was lazily built up, so at least we got it over with.

Alexa Bliss VS Sasha Banks [Raw Women's Championship]
The better of the two Women's Championship matches. I do like Alexa more though I would have been fine with either outcome. Not much else to say here. It was fine and an improvement the string of stupid matches we had before it on this show.

Bray Wyatt VS Finn Balor
Much better! Had a lot of fun with this one. Finn winning was the right call and he got a good match out of Bray here.

Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins VS Sheamus & Cesaro [Raw Tag Team Championship]
The story had been awesome going into this match. It ended up being the second best of the night, behind the Universal Championship match. I'm really glad Dean and Seth won. They'll be much better Tag Team Champions than Sheamus & Cesaro were. One of the funnier moments of the night was Cesaro going after the beach balls to pop them.

AJ Styles VS Kevin Owens [United States Championship match with Shane as guest referee]
This was another fun one. I've enjoyed the feud overall and the addition of Shane as the ref gave it additional layers. Owens arguing with Shane was funny. I'd imagine AJ moves on to Sami next. Owens, despite losing in the midcard title match, moving on to Jinder wouldn't surprise me. Stranger things have happened.

Jinder Mahal VS Shinsuke Nakamura [World Heavyweight Championship]
Dang, even Shinsuke couldn't get an entertaining match out of Jinder. The India tour must be why he retained. The guy isn't entertaining in the ring and he's generic in promos. Time for someone else to get a shot and hopefully dethrone Jinder.

Brock Lesnar VS Roman Reigns VS Samoa Joe VS Braun Strowman [Universal Championship]
Even though I disagreed with Lesnar retaining.... This was the match of the night. The big star was Braun Strowman. The table breaking spots, throwing chairs, and the battle he had with Roman using the steel steps were all great. Strowman should have won in all honesty, he has never looked more like a monster and they need to put the Universal Championship on him sooner rather than later. My big concern is that we get stuck with the main event level guys having nothing to do until Brock decides to show up again. The only thing stopping this from being a match of the year contender was the result.

Overall Thoughts
The show for the most part was good. The two World Championship matches having the wrong result hurt it and that string of stupid matches in the first half of the show prevented it from being the best show of the year. Still a pretty big step up for the blue brand's content compared to Battleground. Raw's content was a step down from Great Balls Of Fire. I put it at #3 of the year so far. NXT had the better event yet again for a Big 4 weekend. We're back to single brand shows next month with Raw's No Mercy. Smackdown doesn't appear to have a September event, oddly enough. Unless I missed something.

Dagger's 2017 WWE PPV Rankings
1. Wrestlemania 33
2. Great Balls Of Fire 2017
3. Summerslam 2017
4. Money In The Bank 2017
5. Elimination Chamber 2017
6. Royal Rumble 2017
7. Backlash 2017
8. Payback 2017
9. Extreme Rules 2017
10. Battleground 2017
11. Fastlane 2017