WWE Great Balls Of Fire General Discussion & Reviews

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Keep all discussion about the GBOF card in general here. Thus far, the two top matches on the card are:

WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe
Ambulance Match - Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman

As for the rest of the card I think these matches are probably guaranteed or, at least, plausible

WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville vs. Akira Tozawa
WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro vs. the Hardy Boyz

As for the women, it's hard to tell. They may go with Alexa vs. Sasha as well as some sort of tag team match featuring the women or some big multi-woman title match.

Add Balor vs Elias and Wyatt vs Rollins possibly. Not a bad card at all, but they need to do more with the names they have. It's like they have a Ferrari and they're keeping it stored in the garage.

The name still sucks although the logo has improved a bit.

Considering the booking, it hasn't been considered much of a PPV. More of a specific TV programming that'll have some title defenses.

Hoping that Miz faces a new challenger soon. Also, about Bálor Vs. Elias, I can't really believe that the latter can defeat the former.

Wyatt won't get the win against Rollins either. Just like always for him.

Card looks pretty good but the name of the PPV has got to be the more hilariously awful and ridiculous name that I've ever heard. It's like a writer pitched this name as a complete joke on a dare and IT ACTUALLY GOT THROUGH!

Most of the time the name of the PPV doesn't really factor into my interest in a PPV, but this is an exception. The laughable name actually takes away from my overall interest in watching, and certainly paying for a show with such a silly name.

WWE struck out on the naming of the PPV and they should pay for it, otherwise it'll just get worse.

Next new WWE PPV? CRAZY FUN TIME EXPLOSION! Imagine a wrestler having to say that in an intense promo and keep a straight face! It's hard enough with Great Balls of Fire!

The final card, unless they decide to just toss on Balor vs. Samson for some reason, is this:

Kickoff Show

1. WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Neville vs. Akira Tozawa

Main Card

1. WWE Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe
2. Ambulance Match: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman
3. WWE Intercontinental Championship: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
4. WWE Raw Women's Championship: Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks
5. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship 30 Minute Ironman Match: Sheamus & Cesaro vs. The Hardy Boyz
6. Singles Match: Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt
7. Singles Match: Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass

On paper, it looks like a really good card and the build has been especially good for Lesnar vs. Joe, Reigns vs. Strowman, Miz vs. Ambrose, Enzo vs. Cass and the tag title match.

WWE Great Balls of Fire Kickoff
1. WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville (c) vs. Akira Tozawa
- Along with Rich Swann vs. TJP from last Tuesday's 205 Live, this was probably the best CW match since Neville vs. Aries I from the WrestleMania kickoff show. Neville and Tozawa worked at a good pace in front of an energetic crowd and, again like Swann vs. TJP, is more along the lines of what most of us were expecting/hoping when watching the CWC this time last year. The ending and overall performance of this match is an indicator that Tozawa is in line for another shot, hopefully on the main card. The ending might seem a bit anti-climactic but I thought it worked as it did a good job of selling how rough Neville kicking the top rope while Tozawa was crotched on it was supposed to be; realistically, if you take anything that's supposed to be even a glancing nutshot, it pretty much takes the fight out of you. ***1/4

WWE Great Balls of Fire Main Card
1. Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt
- I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this match but it ultimately turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting. There was some good, physical back & forth stuff while they worked at a good pace with few rest holds. Rollins' athleticism complimented Bray's brute force in a good showcase for both of them. I was surprised, albeit pleasantly, that Wyatt won as he seems to always come up short in ppv matches. If this program is to continue, I hope they jack up the intensity over the course of the coming month. Wyatt scored the win with Sister Abigail's Kiss after a poke to the eye. The loss didn't hurt Rollins and it gave Bray something he's needed for a the past few months. ***1/4

2. Enzo Amore vs. Big Cass - Not really too much to say about this. Enzo's pre-match promo, while probably a bit longer than necessary, showed more of his charismatic mic work but the match itself was a general squash. If the plan is to keep this feud going but to keep having Cass squash Enzo, then I'd rather they just moved both guys on. If the purpose was to make Enzo look like a scrappy underdog, then it failed because Cass simply didn't deliver nearly the sort of beating necessary in order to really make Enzo look sympathetic. This is 100% speculation on my part but after watching everything go down last night, I'm wondering if they simply cut this match short. *1/4

3. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Sheamus & Cesaro (c) vs. The Hardy Boyz - I thought this was a really fun match that made intelligent use of the ironman concept. The tactics employed by the heels was smart, old school tag team wrestling that helped keep the fans engaged throughout. The first 10 minutes might've seemed a bit slow, but it was also logical when you consider that Sheamus & Cesaro's strategy of getting a fall almost immediately after the bell rang would be to keep the faces grounded and vulnerable. The last 10-12 minutes or so were especially good as the match had built up very nicely while telling a great story as now the babyfaces were gaining momentum and they needed to up the tempo if they hoped to close the gap on Cesaro & Sheamus. When the ending came, or rather just before it, I distinctly heard a slapping sound when Sheamus was pushed back towards his corner, we didn't see the tag on camera but I quickly assumed that it was either Cesaro making the blind tag and/or the ref seeing it and slapping his own hand to acknowledge that he'd seen it. Jeff nailed Sheamus with the Swanton Bomb, only Sheamus wasn't legal, and Cesaro rolled up him to put the heels up 4 falls to 3 with about 25 seconds remaining. Cesaro then running to get away from Jeff Hardy, to run down precious seconds on the clock, also was a great bit of storytelling and even though Hardy managed to hit the Twist of Fate, time ran out really just as the ref delivered a 1 count. Personally, I think they need to end the feud as I think they've done as much as they can. ****1/4

4. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Sasha Banks - The ladies had a tough job following the 30 minute ironman tag team match, but they did a good job in what I think was Alexa Bliss' best match on the main roster. It was a nice physical outing with a good sense of urgency. The ending of Alexa taking a count out loss was initially disappointing but I enjoyed it when I saw she and Sasha brawling up to the commentary table. Sasha's leap onto Alexa was a nice spot and makes me feel that their next bout, which will probably be at SummerSlam, will be a Falls Count Anywhere match. I don't know exactly why I think that, it just seems like it's a means of keeping Alexa from doing something to get counted out or disqualified at what's generally the 2nd biggest show of the year. ***

5. WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz (c) vs. Dean Ambrose - This bout wasn't nearly as good as their last one and left me feeling disappointed. Their last bout had a sense of urgency and energy about it whereas this one mostly felt like they were generally just going through the motions. When you consider that they feuded for a good while on SmackDown before moving to Raw, I think it's time to end the program. Miz scored the win via the Skull Crushing Finale and he has his flunkies out there helping him, so I think it's time for new challenges. **

6. Ambulance Match - Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman - This was a really fun, chaotic brawl that had me genuinely wondering who would win and left me highly excited in seeing the fallout of this match on tonight's Raw. Even though the post match happenings with the ambulance might not technically count as part of the official match, I'm counting it because it's such a big buzz generator and was so over the top fun, like a lot of what's gone on with the Reigns vs. Strowman feud. Both of them worked hard and delivered a physical outing that had some big moments, such as Reigns putting Strowman through the LED screens up on stage. The ending seemed a bit weak, however, as it looked like a way to give Strowman a victory without "beating" Reigns. Reigns has Strowman lined up and is ready to spear him into the ambulance only for Strowman to sidestep him, Reigns goes flying into the back of the ambulance and Strowman slams the door about the 17 minute mark to officially win. As Strowman celebrates, Reigns emerges from the back of the ambulance looking murderous and assaults Strowman before locking him in the back of the ambulance. Reigns pulls the driver out and takes off before stopping backstage, puts it in reverse, floors it and crashes the ambulance into an equipment trailer. As Reigns stumbled from the scene, everyone's screaming for help backstage while an "impromptu" match between Heath Slater and Curt Hawkins is happening, though we didn't see hardly any of it as the cameras were backstage when the fire department and paramedics used the jaws of life to open the ambulance to retrieve Strowman. Strowman did a helluva job selling the "injuries" he sustained in the ambulance, he had blood all over his face and elbow, was walking with a bad limp and was incoherently rambling as he shuffled off. My guess is that Strowman's "injuries" will keep him on the shelf so that he misses SummerSlam, thereby giving Roman Reigns the shot at Lesnar's Universal Championship. If that's the case and Reigns wins, then he automatically has credible opponents in Strowman and Joe as each of them hold a couple of victories over him. ****1/4

7. WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Samoa Joe - While I think they could've done a bit more with this, they ultimately accomplished what they wanted and needed to in spades. The match itself officially lasted about 7 minutes, though the pre-match attack by Joe ultimately stretched things out to probably around 10 minutes or so of action overall. Joe's assault on Lesnar and Lesnar selling it in a similar manner to what we've seen most of Lesnar's opponents do, which is selling each move he gives as though you've just been hit by a rhino on PCP, was a nice touch as it further enforced the notion that Brock Lesnar was in danger of losing. Joe did go to Suplex City but he continued to give as good as he got and commentators did a great job in selling the effects of the Coquina Clutch and how, due to Lesnar's struggles, prevented Joe from locking it in 100%. I will say this about Lesnar: nobody in wrestling is able to make you believe that they're ready to pass out and drop dead from a submission better than Lesnar. The guy turns a half dozen different shades of purple before your eyes and it actually does look kind of scary when you get down to it. In the end, Lesnar manages to slip out of the final Clutch attempt and hits Joe with an F5 for the win. The commentators also did a great job in selling Lesnar "surviving" against Joe in that it wasn't some cakewalk and Joe's intense glare as Lesnar was making his way up the ramp only enforced the notion that I'd like to see these two go at it again. As I said, all in all, the whole thing was only about 10 minutes but it was an insanely good 10 minutes. ****

Final Thoughts - Silly name aside, Great Balls of Fire was a damn good show and, in my view, the best of the Raw brand ppvs. The low points of the show were Enzo vs Cass and Miz vs. Ambrose, but the rest of the show delivered. To be honest, I think they should've done the whole Enzo vs. Cass bit on the kickoff show and put the Cruiserweight Championship on the main card. Aside from Enzo vs. Cass and the IC title match, every bout on the card was, in my view, between 3.25 and 4.25 stars. Rollins and Wyatt delivered a surprisingly good opener, the 30 minute tag title ironman match made terrific use of the concept, Alexa vs. Sasha was Alexa's best showing on the main roster to date, Reigns vs. Strowman was great chaos and Lesnar vs. Joe delivered in a way that made Joe look like a badass.

Grade: A-

Last night WWE's Raw brand held its Great Balls Of Fire event. With a name as silly as that, few were likely to know what to expect. I had been hoping WWE would put forth all the effort to make this show work and it lived up to expectations. I attended this show in person so I'll have some live thoughts included in with this review. I ended up buying the red AJ Styles shirt along with the event specific shirt for this show before getting to my seat. The fans HATED Michael Cole, and that wasn't much of a surprise. Very loud boo's for him when the announcers made their entrances before the show went live.

Pre-show: Akira Tozawa VS Neville [Cruiserweight Championship]
They had to pre-show something so it more or less makes sense for it to have been this match although I'm surprised we didn't have R-Truth VS Goldust or something else like that on the pre-show instead. The match was good enough to have been on the main card. Titus is progressing well in his managerial role. Tozawa had a good showing here even though I did not think he would win. If Austin Aries couldn't dethrone Neville then who can? Then after the match ended a ton of officials ran out to the ring to get the ropes changed quickly from purple to red. It was funny looking.

Bray Wyatt VS Seth Rollins
The main card kicked off with Bray and Seth. Not a bad match. I like both guys so the end result doesn't bother me too much although I wanted Seth to win. Hey, on the bright side Bray finally got a win on PPV. Being one of the fireflies during Bray's entrance is always fun too.

Big Cass VS Enzo Amore
Awesome promo by Enzo before the match began. Enzo had the biggest face reaction of the night. Cass has some strange new music, maybe it will grow on me. The match did what it was supposed to do. Even though I am disappointed that the split came before they had a chance to win the Raw Tag Team Championship, this feud delivered. Where do they go from here may be the bigger question. If they don't have a Summerslam rematch then I expect Cass to move on to the Intercontinental Championship scene while Enzo goes on to become the one to dethrone Neville for the Cruiserweight Championship. The match may be the weakest of the night if I had to pick a bottom match in a ranking, despite that I still liked it. Lots of "Cass-hole" chants for Big Cass which was fun to participate in.

Hardys VS Sheamus & Cesaro [Raw Tag Team Championship]
This match started off really boring but it got really good at the end. The Hardy's looked like they had it for a moment there. The feud needs to end now. Let some other teams have a chance, please! I don't think this was the right stipulation to have gone with. In a one VS one setting Iron Man matches are great with the right competitors. In a tag team setting it didn't seem to fit right. A best 2 out of 3 falls would have sufficed here and saved everyone time. Had a good time with the "Delete!" and "Brother Nero" chants. Biggest heel of the night? Up until Reigns showed up later on, it was the ref from this match. The crowd got thunderously loud in telling the ref what they thought of him.

Alexa Bliss VS Sasha Banks [Raw Women's Championship]
This was great. The ending may have been a bit anticlimactic for some, but Alexa retained in clever heel tactics. There were lots of dueling "Let's go Sasha! Let's go Bliss!" chants here. I would have been happy with either outcome as I am a big fan of both, although Alexa retaining was the right call. Rematch at Summerslam in a gimmick match would be awesome!

Dean Ambrose VS The Miz [Intercontinental Championship]
This went on way later on the card than expected. In fact, it basically switched places with Bray VS Seth in where I thought each match would end up. The crowd was behind Ambrose here and it was decent. The two of them have made a seemingly endless feud stay interesting. I really do think The Miz should move on to another challenger after this. There's plenty of other guys who should get a shot. Not sure about Dean, some random filler feud in the midcard is likely next for him.

Braun Strowman VS Roman Reigns [Ambulance Match]
This ended up being the match of the night for me. Massive boo's for Reigns. The crowd was boo'ing like crazy before he even made it to the ring and when he came out it was so loud you could hardly hear his music. Braun using the steel steps as a weapon we great. I liked several of the spots used in the match and them going through the set was crazy! The crowd really got into it with "He's not finished!" chanting. This feud has been nothing short of a war and with the aftermath, it might STILL continue into Summerslam. Reigns crashing the ambulance into the truck while Braun emerges full of blood refusing to stop was epic.

Curt Hawkins VS Heath Slater
So instead of Finn Balor VS Elias Samson we get this random unadvertised match. I felt bad for Slater and Hawkins. The crowd didn't even give them a chance. They quickly were hit with "We want Balor!" chants. I can't say I blame the crowd as I would have preferred to see Balor VS Samson or even Goldust VS Truth since, you know, they weren't randomly thrown together at the absolute last second with zero advertising. Not that it matters since the match was interrupted by the ambulance aftermath segment anyway. You can hardly even call this a match. They were just out there to take up some time before the segment aired.

Brock Lesnar VS Samoa Joe [Universal Championship]
The crowd went insane for Joe here giving him the biggest face reaction of the night other than Enzo. I didn't like that Lesnar retained, however it could have been SO much worse. Joe looked very strong in his effort here and that was what mattered if he wasn't going to win. I just hope Lesnar loses the title at Summerslam. They can only do so many #1 Contendership matches. People had been discussing how much better Raw has been this PPV cycle. Maybe, just maybe, it might have had something to do with there actually being a top prize up for grabs this round. Whether it's a triple threat with Strowman & Reigns or if Joe gets a rematch I don't care. Brock needs to lose the title and they missed a perfect opportunity for that here. Good match despite that.

Overall Thoughts
I had a lot of fun attending this show. There wasn't a single weak match on the entire card unless you count Hawkins VS Slater. The matches all served their purpose and were entertaining. The right calls were made in most of the results and the crowd made the live experience even more fun. As for the show itself, this is the best Raw brand PPV since the return of the brand split and exceeded all expectations for me. It's second only to Wrestlemania 33 for my top show of the year. Well done, WWE. Smackdown has an extremely tough act to follow with Battleground in a couple of weeks.

Dagger's 2017 WWE PPV Rankings
1. Wrestlemania 33
2. Great Balls Of Fire 2017
3. Money In The Bank 2017
4. Elimination Chamber 2017
5. Royal Rumble 2017
6. Backlash 2017
7. Payback 2017
8. Extreme Rules 2017
9. Fastlane 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online