WWE PPV Evolution

BOSS Productions

Pre-Show Stalwart
First off I am Sorry if this topic was done before,I was banned to long to notice but I have checked some topics and I have not seen this topic done yet so once again sorry if this topic was done before.

Also this does belong here right? I am not talking about Current WWE PPV matches so it should not go in the PPV Discussion it is about how WWE PPVs are evolving so this has something to do with WWE and so this is the right section.

OK so everyone pretty much knows that WWE PPVs are evolving (well the smaller ones anyway) and I think it is some what good up until a certain point that is. As you can see WWE has been changing PPVs like crazy giving them gimmick stipulations in their main events well it is some what good prove ? Well I will list them below this.

Lets go into further detail when you think of a WWE PPV you usually think about the BIG 4 (WrestleMania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble) and never cared about the rest in most cases, so adding these gimmicks kind of spice up the small PPVs and give you a reason to order them , especially since most people such as myself only order the BIG 4.now let us compare some of the good changes and bad changes.

No Way Out 2000-2007 - Just a normal PPV with a name that made no sense.
No Way Out 2008-Present- A great PPV with my favorite match Stipulation Elimination Chamber which made a lot of sense because there is literally no way out of this match, whether it is the POD or the Chamber itself and is a huge improvement when it comes to catching a persons eye.

Now a bad change in PPV

Unforgiven 1999-2008
- a decent PPV does not really catch a persons eye but it was decent and the name really does symbolize a huge factor in a on going WWE feud. For example when Kane destroyed HBK in 2004 which led to HBK returning and letting Kane know he was not forgiven and the hype led to a great match at Unforgiven 04.

Breaking Point 2009-Present- Crappy PPV and Crappy Match Stipulation. I mean most of the WWE superstars these days barley use submissions and now they have 3 submission matches in one night that is crazy and bores me to tears. What makes it more stupid is that the submission experts like Y2J and HBK are not even in a submission match, I guess Undertaker is good but not good enough to carry a PPV that is based on Submission. It is not like we have Benoit,Angle and Bret Hart in WWE so basically Submission matches are dead and can not rise as they were not that popular to start with.

Now the point of this thread is to tell me the good Changes in a WWE PPV and the Bad ones and If you could change them How would you change them gimmick and name wise.

My Changes - Change Breaking Point back to Unforgiven and make the Main Event Matches Last Ride Matches why because when I think of Unforgiven I think of last chances and feud enders.So Last Ride Match is a no brainier and they are barley used anyways.

Also Change Hell in A Cell back into No Mercy or my custom name Hells Fury why there is nothing wrong with the PPV it is just that Hell in A Cell is a match not a PPV name your not going to see Backlash changed into Steel Cage at least I hope not well post your thoughts .

Breaking Point 2009-Present- Crappy PPV and Crappy Match Stipulation. I mean most of the WWE superstars these days barley use submissions and now they have 3 submission matches in one night that is crazy and bores me to tears. What makes it more stupid is that the submission experts like Y2J and HBK are not even in a submission match, I guess Undertaker is good but not good enough to carry a PPV that is based on Submission. It is not like we have Benoit,Angle and Bret Hart in WWE so basically Submission matches are dead and can not rise as they were not that popular to start with.

First off, I would never consider HBK a "Submission Expert." He added the Figure 4 to his move set recently, but no one ever submits to it. He throws people in the Crossface in memorium to Chris Benoit, but nobody ever submits to it.

Secondly, I'm glad the B PPVs are spicing themselves up a bit. I was looking forward to Breaking Point until I found out it would be Cena vs. Orton again. I can't believably think that Orton can come up with and master a submission move powerful enough to make the Invincible John Cena submit. Otherwise, I like the stipulation becaue I think the WWE is trying to be much more wrestling-centric. More ROH if you will, where the show is more about the matches.

As for No Way Out, agreed, the Elimination CHambers are awesome and semi-unpredictable. Didn't see this year's results coming.

I like Night of Champions in theory, but technically, coming from the days where we only got 5 PPVs (King of the Ring + The Big 4), all titles should be on the line at every PPV. That is why there are titles in the first place...to be defended in large public gatherings where a large profit can be made. (I amend my own statement by saying I don't ever want the Divas titles defended on PPVs, because it's a waste of my money, but that's a seperate thread.)

Extreme Rules is great too, although this year's "extreme" matches were pretty tame.

Overall, in order for WWE to expect you to spend $35-$40 every month on their product, this was necessary and welcome. You're noticing this because it is starting to work.

I think Breaking Point should have the I Quit submission matches that resemble around Austin vs Bret at Mania 13 which also makes me think the ending will resemble the ending to the match of orton vs cena at breaking point where cena will pass out from pain but wont say i quit and orton will keep the belt

First off, I would never consider HBK a "Submission Expert." He added the Figure 4 to his move set recently, but no one ever submits to it. He throws people in the Crossface in memorium to Chris Benoit, but nobody ever submits to it.

Secondly, I'm glad the B PPVs are spicing themselves up a bit. I was looking forward to Breaking Point until I found out it would be Cena vs. Orton again. I can't believably think that Orton can come up with and master a submission move powerful enough to make the Invincible John Cena submit. Otherwise, I like the stipulation becaue I think the WWE is trying to be much more wrestling-centric. More ROH if you will, where the show is more about the matches.

As for No Way Out, agreed, the Elimination CHambers are awesome and semi-unpredictable. Didn't see this year's results coming.

I like Night of Champions in theory, but technically, coming from the days where we only got 5 PPVs (King of the Ring + The Big 4), all titles should be on the line at every PPV. That is why there are titles in the first place...to be defended in large public gatherings where a large profit can be made. (I amend my own statement by saying I don't ever want the Divas titles defended on PPVs, because it's a waste of my money, but that's a seperate thread.)

Extreme Rules is great too, although this year's "extreme" matches were pretty tame.

Overall, in order for WWE to expect you to spend $35-$40 every month on their product, this was necessary and welcome. You're noticing this because it is starting to work.

I know HBK is nowhere as good as other wrestlers when it comes to submissions but what I meant was he is one of the only guys who could make a submission match entertaining those moves he uses are at least better than some wrestlers such as Batista who do not use any submissions at all and Cena who only uses one that's all I meant but I do not think that one match should be at a specific PPV like I want to see Hell In A Cell at Summerslam and WrestleMania do you get what I am saying.

i like how u say its a lame PPV, and it hasnt happened yet, and has never happened before. the Cena Orton match is I Quit, thats cool, means no rules. and the Taker Punk match is subbmission, thats all i see for the submission stip. i think ur bitching about something we dont know about yet. so u should shut ur mouth about it until it happens. when it goes down, and if it does suck ill be right there with you bitching but not until it actually happens.

i like how u say its a lame PPV, and it hasnt happened yet, and has never happened before. the Cena Orton match is I Quit, thats cool, means no rules. and the Taker Punk match is subbmission, thats all i see for the submission stip. i think ur bitching about something we dont know about yet. so u should shut ur mouth about it until it happens. when it goes down, and if it does suck ill be right there with you bitching but not until it actually happens.

Listen I am not Bitching about anything and how can I take your opinion when you cannot even spell SUBMISSION right.What I said was this match was dead for how long and all of a sudden it rises and they expect to make a PPV out of dead match HUH ever think of that.That is like having a feud between Cena and Orton and then making the main event at breaking point Orton VS Henry.Which quite frankly makes know sense at all it is the same case here they have not mentioned this match on TV up until Last Monday Night Raw and now they have a PPV with this match type and secondly this match was never the most popular ever since it was created.So no hype and no popularity makes a PPV that makes no sense and next time answer the questions I want you to before you just make up some idiotic post on Bitching.So All in All why don't you SHUT YOUR MOUTH and KNOW YOUR DAMN ROLE.

you know its funny how you act like whiny chris jericho in real life

I think we have to ride the whole new PPV concepts out. We cannot judge something we havnt seen yet, so why complain now?? Breaking Point is just a few weeks away, and I think its just gunna be like every other ppv. What are the odds of SUBMITING in an I quit Match with Cena and Orton in it?? Its gunna be a hard fought match, with Orton finding a way to win. Then we will get the recycled main event of HHH vs Orton at Hell In A Cell....which I am really excited for since im going to my first PPV since Backlash 07. The Undertaker Punk match shows alot of interest because, I dont think we have seen all of punk's moves yet, and maybe they do give him the clean win at BP, to have an insane HIAC match at the HIAC PPV.

I think with the 2 name changes we have to wait and see. Its not like weer throwing khali and kane into a submission match, were throwing main eventers in them, that know moves, moves that they know and we havnt seen them use yet. As some people are bitching and moaning about BP, I am looking foward to see if the concept of gimmick PPVs draws the fans ineterest, and the quality of matches they produce.

No Way Out 2008-Present- A great PPV with my favorite match Stipulation Elimination Chamber which made a lot of sense because there is literally no way out of this match, whether it is the POD or the Chamber itself and is a huge improvement when it comes to catching a persons eye.

I don't really see what the name of a PPV has to do with the PPV itself. I mean take No Mercy for example. shouldn't there be no mercy for every opponent? I'm sure HHH had no mercy for Orton at Wrestlemania. And what does royalty have to do with a 30 man over the top rope battle royal? It's just a name, no big deal.

Unforgiven 1999-2008- a decent PPV does not really catch a persons eye but it was decent and the name really does symbolize a huge factor in a on going WWE feud. For example when Kane destroyed HBK in 2004 which led to HBK returning and letting Kane know he was not forgiven and the hype led to a great match at Unforgiven 04.
The goddamn name "unforgiven" does not determine how good the pay per view is. Championship scrambles were great last year and had shit all to do with not forgiving someone. Once again, the PPV has nothing to do with the name.

Breaking Point 2009-Present- Crappy PPV and Crappy Match Stipulation. I mean most of the WWE superstars these days barley use submissions and now they have 3 submission matches in one night that is crazy and bores me to tears.
It hasnt even happened yet. Give it a break. notice how its only the main events contested under gimmick rules. Being that The Undertaker uses the Devils/Hells Triangle, and CM Punk the Anaconda vice. An I quit match does not necessarily denote submission maneuvers (E.g Rock vs Mankind)

What makes it more stupid is that the submission experts like Y2J and HBK are not even in a submission match, I guess Undertaker is good but not good enough to carry a PPV that is based on Submission. It is not like we have Benoit,Angle and Bret Hart in WWE so basically Submission matches are dead and can not rise as they were not that popular to start with.
Ah, because we don't have three particular wrestlers, submission wrestling is dead. And because HBK is such a great submission wrestler he could carry a PPV? honestly, have you ever watched him wrestle? Like...at all? As I've said, do some research. The entire pay per view is not based on submission, just the top of the card, thus, Angle or Hart wouldnt have to "carry the pay per view"

My Changes - Change Breaking Point back to Unforgiven and make the Main Event Matches Last Ride Matches why because when I think of Unforgiven I think of last chances and feud enders.So Last Ride Match is a no brainier and they are barley used anyways.
One of the worst gimmick matches, and it only applies if Taker is in the match. I hate cheesy gimmicks like this, and why not just do a casket match if you really want to go full pelt at the cheese?

I did not like this thread, nor many of the threads you post.

Horns Out,

Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Well, MRC already did this, but I think I can go along too.

A name does not make a Pay Per View great. Of course the B rated PPVs weren't as exciting. They werent' meant to be. That is why the Big 4 are, or were, considered the Big fucking 4. They are supposed to be the better PPVs of the year. And why do you say NWO was just normal from 2000-2007? To start off, 2000 had a HIAC match, hardly a normal PPV match. And hell, even 2002 had the reintroduction of the nWo. But they aren't meant to be better or even close to the Big 4. Why should they be when they aren't?

Now a bad change in PPV

Unforgiven 1999-2008
- a decent PPV does not really catch a persons eye but it was decent and the name really does symbolize a huge factor in a on going WWE feud. For example when Kane destroyed HBK in 2004 which led to HBK returning and letting Kane know he was not forgiven and the hype led to a great match at Unforgiven 04.

Decent? There were some awesome Unforgivens at the beginning of the 2000s. Last year wasn't bad either. Again, it is meant to be a B rated PPV, why does it have to be awesome.

Judging a PPV before it happens. I hope you are psychic man because you shouldn't really say something sucks before it happens. Firstly, (I should quote your other post too, but I'm too tired and lazy) Cena vs. Orton is an I-Quit match. That means anything goes, and the ref is only there for who says I Quit. They can wrap wires around each others necks. Put their or any other limb in a chair and jump on it. Anything goes, maybe I should order this. Fuck I have to work that night, otherwise I would.

Taker vs. Punk won't be entertaining? Both have a submission finisher like MRC stated. Devil's/Hell's Triangle vs. the Anaconda Vice. Punk hasn't used it in a while, but I'm sure that won't affect him much. Besides, no one has any idea who the hell will win, or how it will happen. So don't judge when you haven't seen it.

Also Change Hell in A Cell back into No Mercy or my custom name Hells Fury why there is nothing wrong with the PPV it is just that Hell in A Cell is a match not a PPV name your not going to see Backlash changed into Steel Cage at least I hope not well post your thoughts .

Firstly, punctuation is your friend, use it.

It would be similar to Lockdown in TNA I believe. Where matches would be in the Cell. But I could be wrong. Who cares if the PPV would be called HIAC? It isn't like anyone would be turned off of a PPV just because it is named after a match.

Now for the actual topic. Names of the B Pay Per Views don't nor should they matter. Hell they used to be In Your House:"insert name here". The PPVs that are not Summerslam, WM, Survivor Series, or Royal Rumble are all now being gimmick based. They aren't meant to be better than the Big 4. Come on man.

I honestly think WWE goes a little overboard at times, but while I was on the fence about the Breaking Point at 1st, I warmed up to it. Now, while this pay-per-view would have been better like 25 years ago when wrestlers were great technical stars, this could really show the untapped poltential that some of these stars have. Imagine Undetaker breaking out a new submission hold that we've never seen and otherwise would have never seen if this pay-per-view didn't exist. On the flip side, I'd vomit in my mouth if I'd have to sit in the stands and watch Randy Orton lose to John Cena by Cena giving that bitch ass STFU to Orton. Now, as far as PPV name changes, I think it's good because change is usually always a good thing and most people don't follow history of wrestling or anything else long enough to really understand the importance of a name (if there is any importance to a PPV name that is). But the one thing I'd get rid of is the HITC pay-per-view. I mean, you already got an awesome PPV in the Elimination Chamber, why fuck that up with basically the same thing by calling it something else? Plus, I kinda hate HITC and wish it'd quietly disappear. Other than that, WWE is somewhat doing the right thing, yet like I said in the beginning, taking it a weee bit overboard (i.e. HITC)...

I know HBK is nowhere as good as other wrestlers when it comes to submissions but what I meant was he is one of the only guys who could make a submission match entertaining those moves he uses are at least better than some wrestlers such as Batista who do not use any submissions at all and Cena who only uses one that's all I meant but I do not think that one match should be at a specific PPV like I want to see Hell In A Cell at Summerslam and WrestleMania do you get what I am saying.

I totally get what you're saying. HBK does get those moves on at key points in matches. He is definitely one Superstar who always knows how to turn the momentum of the match in his favor.

I also agreed with you from the start about the concept. I agree that there should be one big stipulation match at each of the big 4, except for Wrestlemania. The Royal Rumble has the Rumble match itself, Summerslam should have a TLC or HITC and Survivor Series should have a big stipulation to go with the traditional 5 on 5's. The B PPVs should continue evolving as they are, with different match types being the key. No Way Out has the EC matches, Breaking Point will feature submission matches, etc etc.

i guess there were some people who agree with me, and sorry my spelling couldnt be as perfect as yours. i love when people have nothing better to say and they just make fun or ur spelling cause obviously its something that totally matters. and anyone who says know ur role and shut your mouth on a online forum is definetly an idiot and an ignorant wrestling fan, we know ur all out there cheering for Cena and buying all the Jeff Hardy merch, and just eating up the DX crap, but really man obviously wat u said is just a load, and u have nothing to bitch about when we havent even seen the final product.

I don't really see what the name of a PPV has to do with the PPV itself. I mean take No Mercy for example. shouldn't there be no mercy for every opponent? I'm sure HHH had no mercy for Orton at Wrestlemania. And what does royalty have to do with a 30 man over the top rope battle royal? It's just a name, no big deal.

The goddamn name "unforgiven" does not determine how good the pay per view is. Championship scrambles were great last year and had shit all to do with not forgiving someone. Once again, the PPV has nothing to do with the name.

It hasnt even happened yet. Give it a break. notice how its only the main events contested under gimmick rules. Being that The Undertaker uses the Devils/Hells Triangle, and CM Punk the Anaconda vice. An I quit match does not necessarily denote submission maneuvers (E.g Rock vs Mankind)

Ah, because we don't have three particular wrestlers, submission wrestling is dead. And because HBK is such a great submission wrestler he could carry a PPV? honestly, have you ever watched him wrestle? Like...at all? As I've said, do some research. The entire pay per view is not based on submission, just the top of the card, thus, Angle or Hart wouldnt have to "carry the pay per view"

One of the worst gimmick matches, and it only applies if Taker is in the match. I hate cheesy gimmicks like this, and why not just do a casket match if you really want to go full pelt at the cheese?

I did not like this thread, nor many of the threads you post.

Horns Out,

Mantaur Rodeo Clown

First of you did not need to insult my threads.
Secondly I am not complaining about the PPV like everyone thinks I am.All I am saying is why make a PPV based on a match that was never popular in the first place, I like how you mention a Last Ride match is cheesy,it may be cheesy but at least people would buy it and if you read my other post you can see that when I said HBK was a submission expert I meant it in the sense that he makes all his matches enetertaining and he may only know 3-4 holds but at least that is an improvement over other wrestlers and the name does matter in a PPV you will not by a PPV named AssholeMania.Well anyways the point is why make a PPV based on match that was never popular to start with when there are much better matches stipulations.By the way it did mean to insult the Breaking Point PPV itself so sorry if anyone thinks I did,when I said crappy PPV I just meant that the match stipulation is dead so sorry if anyone that thought I predicted the PPV was crap.

I totally get what you're saying. HBK does get those moves on at key points in matches. He is definitely one Superstar who always knows how to turn the momentum of the match in his favor.

I also agreed with you from the start about the concept. I agree that there should be one big stipulation match at each of the big 4, except for Wrestlemania. The Royal Rumble has the Rumble match itself, Summerslam should have a TLC or HITC and Survivor Series should have a big stipulation to go with the traditional 5 on 5's. The B PPVs should continue evolving as they are, with different match types being the key. No Way Out has the EC matches, Breaking Point will feature submission matches, etc etc.

Well at least someone gets what I am trying to say.
With that all said I did not mean to insult any PPV in anyway and I get how the B PPVs need to be spiced up but why give them exclusive matches I know guys that want the Elimination Chamber and HIAC on other PPVs not just the B PPVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back