• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Over the Limit- Drew Mclntyre (c) vs. Kofi Kingston-Intercontinental Championship

Gabriiel07

Dark Match Winner

It’s not often that you receive second chances in WWE, but Kofi Kingston gets just that at Over the Limit.

After defeating Christian on SmackDown – and claiming the vacated Intercontinental Championship – Kingston was elated at winning the prestigious title for the second time in his career. The celebration was short-lived, however.

Fired Superstar and ex-champion Drew McIntyre shocked the WWE Universe – and SmackDown General Manger Theodore Long alike – by sauntering into the ring and delivering a written letter – the contents of which prompted Long to order Kingston to hand over the title. Kingston complied, and Long then begrudgingly gave the title to McIntyre.

Later on SmackDown, it was revealed that Mr. McMahon had written the letter. (WATCH) By the stroke of his mighty pen, The Chairman overruled Long’s recent decision to strip McIntyre of the Intercontinental Title and fire him from WWE. (WATCH Long fire McIntyre) Going a step further, Mr. McMahon also declared in his letter that McIntyre is still the reigning Intercontinental Champion.

As evidenced in his match against Christian, Kofi has already proven he has the fire within to become Intercontinental Champion. Now, can he do the same against the seemingly untouchable Superstar personally signed by Mr. McMahon himself? And if McIntyre were to lose, just how far is The Chairman willing to go to keep McIntyre in the winner’s circle?

Find out at Over the Limit, live Sunday, May 23, only on pay-per-view.
Now that this match has been announced in WWE.com, what are your thoughts of this match? Are you happy they are defending the Intercontinental Championship on PPV again?

I am happy to see the IC being defended on a PPV.

However, I think Drew is going to win this one. He's on a roll right now and can't be stopped (literally, or you're fired). One could also argue that Kofi is on a roll, but honestly I see Drew coming out of this one and the rivalry somehow is going to be furthered.

I'd like to see Kofi win this. But I have a feeling Drew will get the V because he actually NEEDS it. He needs to be seen defending the title successfully in the coming months in order to get over and be taken seriously. Right now it seems like he isnt getting any real heat but "go away heat" and a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that he seems to just be carring the belt like a trophy Vince gave him and not as something that he earned and is defending.

Kofi will win. Some time ago, on wrestlezone, there were some matches announced for WWE supershow that will take place after Over the limit, and it was Kofi Kingston vs Drew McIntyre for IC. Now, champions are always listed first... And Kofi whatever needs this win, because McIntyre is a bad champion. He isn't 'bragging' about it like Miz is. He uses the title to... idk why he is still holding it.

Oh sweet, I didn't know of this, actually stated in the Smackdown Review thread that I was hoping for a feud between the two of them, well here we go, I'm happy for that, because I think they can work some pretty good matches, a pretty good feud, and perhaps even properly show off that Drew McIntyre is a champion.

I'm not sure who's gonna win this one, I'm thinking Kofi Kingston, but for some point, I believe Drew McIntyre could very well retain this one, I guess only time will show, for now, I'm calling it blank.

McIntyre will win. If he doesn't then I guarantee you the back-and-forth with the "now it's Vacated-now it's not" Intercontinental Championship will hold no barings much like a weaker Cruiserweight Championship would and McIntyre will be lost in the history books. He needs to win this to prove that he is a serious competitor and not just some random VKM picked out of a lineup.

I only say that because let's face it- Drew McIntyre has not earned our admiration yet. I dig his look and his finisher is interesting, but as a competitor he is still something to just be considered. A win over Kingston is what he needs to be looked at as a real-deal champion. If he loses, then the "You're Fired You're Hired" angle was all for nothing. McIntyre as a heel needs this win to be legitimately booed.

honestly i would have changed a couple of things with this...especially having that crappy outcome that they had with drew just getting the title back..ok this is how i see it and this is after the whole fired thing.

so ok we got kofi and christian in the finals and dont get me wrong, it was a heck of a match, but to build up the whole thing i think the writers or bookers have this match be a ladder match first of all with both guys being as athletic as they are the E missed a great oppurtunity regardless if they were to hold off the match til over the limit to build more time with the mcintyre fired angle and would have been a draw imo..now heres the part i wish they would have gone with...instead of drew bringing that letter they should have had vince appear and mention it or maybe have a vid of him saying it on the .com saying that mcintyre was indeed reinstated but and have them totally disregard the championship to add suspense and question to who the real champ is..and i would have liked to see drew bring around his title and say he is the real champ "ala razor ramone hbk feud" and thus creating the feud tension and build up for the match between them to make the title more prestigious and important in the viewers eyes....i dont know i think that would have put more emotion and spotlight on the title and feud but thats jsut my opinion. wat do u guys think?

MISTER E...

Im glad the title the ic title is going to be defended at a ppv, no matter what the ppv is. So, i got the funny feeling drew will retain the title in this match, they still gonna build his undefeated streak as they say. I don't think they will have him lose against Kofi, who btw I want the title to go to. I mean, he uses the title, he points at it, drew with the title, he acts like a zombie..

So come on Kofi, take the title, but lets face it, drew will retain.

I would like to see Drew retain. People claim that hes a bad champion and doesnt defend it but that is WWEs fault. It is their fault they made the belts almost worthless. How often does The Miz defend the US ?? Barely ever. If Kofi won he would near enough follow suit. The clearly just dont have time for the likes of these belts anymore. I remeber The Ultimate Warrior was the IC Champ and he beat Hogan who was the WWE champ at the time at Wrestlemania. I bet the world champs today would squash the IC or US. In fact Cena did !! Cena squashed Miz if you recall. So I dont think Kofi is going to magically change the IC belt. If they wont make Drew or The Miz a big part player with them, they wont make Kofi.

Kingston to win with Matt Hardy interferrence. Unsure how they'd play it from there though. Who knows, it may be the other way round, Hardy helping Drew, in a ' if you can't beat em join em ' type of mentality. Leading to Kofi v Hardy and Drew v Christian feuds. . .

This should be a pretty fun match. I'd like to see Kofi win as I don't particularly like McIntyre, but I feel the McIntyre will pick up the victory here. He hasn't really had a good defense of the title and is using it, as Pulsar said, as a trophy. Drew needs to look strong and a credible titleholder, and what more to show that then a victory over one of Smackdown's hottest stars?

he pretty much has to defend his title. the last time he defended it was at elimination chamber vs kane (correct me if im wrong). he has to defend it. i think he will beat kofi. but if wwe thinks this kid is so good, they need to have him actually defend his title. maybe drew hits kofi with the belt and gets dq so he keeps it. then he keeps beating down kofi, and then matt hardy comes back and goes crazy on drew

I felt this coming, although i thought it would have been announced on SD! last night.

Im glad that IC tittle is FINALLY getting defended again. And this isnt an exact give a way for the winner (I.E. Drew vs Kane)

Im a little balanced on who i think will win, but im leaning towards Drew McIntyre. But i can see a semi-lengthy feud between the two, and maybe even Christian or Matt Hardy will get involved.

I fully expect Drew to retain here. It wouldn't make sense to "fire" Drew, strip him of the title, re gain it with help from Vince, and then lose it AGAIN a week later. It would be a colossal clusterfuck situation. This should be a good match, and I hope Kofi and Drew are given a good amount of time. Even if Kofi loses, I hope WWE will keep him in the IC title picture. I just hope they will have win the title some where down the line, and not have him chase the champion forever, and come up empty handed. It would be similar to what happened with Dolph Ziggler and Rey Mysterio/John Morrison.

I actually think Drew will win with a Matt Hardy interference, setting up a Kofi v. Matt v. Drew at the next PPV for IC title because Matt wants to take the title from Drew himself after so much punishment.

Those who think Christian will be involved, I think, are wrong. He was just a stepping stone to get Kofi into the mix. I bet Christian will be lost in the shuffle for a while while Matt gets a mini-push.

I like how the Intercontinental Championship is being defended on ppv. However, I don't like how the WWE went about it. I hate how Drew McIntyre is getting all this special treatment because he is the "Chosen One", even if it is kayfabe. Kofi Kingston won the IC Title fair and square, so he should be Intercontinental Champion. I say that because if I'm not mistaken, I believe Mr. McMahon's letter said, "Drew McIntyre is now re-instated... and something about how Theodore Long's decision was overruled." That doesn't sound like he was talking about the stripping of the title, moreso the firing.

But whatever. I think Kofi Kingston should definitely win this. As good as Drew McIntyre been booked since his debut, he has lready surpassed the Intercontinental Title. At this point, he no longer needs it in my opinion. Kofi Kingston has also surpassed the title, however, how he was booked for the final few months of his stint on Raw, the title would definitely help rebuild the momentum he had near the end of 2009 and start of 2010.

However, it's almost never that I get my wish when it comes to the WWE.

Prediction: Drew McIntyre retains the Intercontinental Championship.

i say drew will retain at the ppv and continue his fued with matt hardy i say matt hardy will attack drew during his match with kofi with drew winning by dq and yes

I am happy the Intercontial title is being used more on ppv. Its my favorite midcard title and I glad to see its getting some credability. But as for the match I think its going to open up the show. It should be a decent to good match if given at least 8 to 10 minutes. I see Drew McIntyre retain here because I think that would be stupid to have Kofi win the title when he jus had to foreit. In fact the only way I see Kofi winning is if Matt Hardy came and cost Drew the title.

Well its nice to see the Intercontinental Title on a PPV card again. I see either McIntyre retaining the title or Matt Hardy getting involved somehow (it would make sense considering their feud hasn't finished). Also it wouldn't make sense for McIntyre to be 'fired', come back to reclaim it and then lose it days later. I hope the feud will go further as both Kofi and Drew are the future of the company and could produce a great rivalry. Whatever the result, it will be a good match.

Can't get behind the McIntyre bandwagon. I'm now slowly starting to appreciate Sheamus a bit, but he's definitely a better worker than McIntyre, who isn't actually a bad worker, just a bit generic and meh. The finisher is OK, I suppose, but Sheamus has a better look and the sheer ferocity with which he tears into people is fun. McIntyre doesn't really have anything that stands out to me, other than being buddies with HHH/HBK.

Nor, for that matter, does Kofi. His feud with Orton showed him to be error-prone and to have trouble maintaining heat. Not that he's a bad worker either, just inexperienced and not ready for the main event. But an IC title run - I guess, why not. He needs it, as the feud with Orton ended pretty badly for him and he's done nothing since. Neither guy is near an ME push yet, so I don't expect either to use this match as a launch pad for the top level. As such it's kind of irrelevant. That said, I hope Kofi wins, but McIntyre probably will.

I hope this is a good match.Both of these guys I like, Drew may have not put the Championship on the line for to long but he is doing it soon.I thought that the match Christian and Kofi had was great, I really never watch Smackdown but I tuned in on Friday and the only thing that made me watch the rest was that match.I do think that the whole your fired thing was stupid, I didn't get what the hell they were doing but hey it has started a fued between Kofi and Drew.I hope Drew gets the win here and then they meet again on another PPV were Kofi would win.

It's nice to see the IC title being defended again and on a PPV no less. This is giving the title more prestige instead of making it like some kind of sideshow while giving more exposure to the younger talent. Hopefully, they get enough time to work the match because it has the potential to be one of the PPV's better matches. I see McIntyre winning this match solely for the purpose of furthering the rivalry. Kofi will get his title run eventually but for now, WWE will have Kofi chase after the belt for awhile.

Here's how i hope they handle this match. Kofi and McIntyre have a good match, with no clear winner, then Matt Hardy come out and attack Drew. This helps Matt not just get lost in the shuffle and continue his feud with McIntyre. This also keeps the title on McIntyre, who I think needs to have the title rather than Kofi at this point. As for Kofi, this allows him to possibly move on to a better feud, hopefully CM Punk, who I think is finished with Mysterio now after this PPV.

Should be decent enough, I'd assume, but the problem is there's just not going to be enough build for it. You can't just throw out a Drew/Kofi match with little to no story behind it and make people care. It doesn't work like that when you have 2 guys who haven't really done anything yet. In the ring, it'll be just fine, but the crowd is likely to be pretty quiet.

Not sure why, but I'm really feeling like Drew's going to win here. Vince McMahon thinks he's the future or the company, dontchya know? He wrote a note and everything. Or maybe Matt will interfere and give him the loss or something. Who the fuck knows who'll win this?

VERY excited for a program between two immensely talented up and comers, very disappointed that it barely got any build worth mentioning. I do have high hopes though that this will be the first of a series of matches, and we will get a proper feud and payoff out of it.

I expect an excellent match out of two young, energetic workers, and its really tough to figure out which way this one will go, which adds to how awesome this will be. Very excited, and for now, I will go with a Mcyntire win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back