Wrestlemania XXXIII - Shane McMahon VS AJ Styles

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
It's happening. The fan reaction has been, tepid shall we say. AJ Styles is probably the best in the world at this moment. Shane McMahon is a part-time non-wrestler who has had some entertaining brawls over the years, but at 47 and with only two matches in the past year - hell, 8 years- he doesn't exactly seem like the obvious dance partner for the "Phenomenal One". Yet here we are.

There's a buzz of sorts around this match because it has been such a subject of controversy and because it features two of the most high profile names on the SmackDown Live roster. With rumours rampant that this could be Styles' swan-song for SmackDown before a move to the red show post-Mania, a victory over everyone's favourite(?) spot monkey McMahon could prove memorable; possibly in a bad way, possibly in a good way.

AJ no doubt is going to have to carry this one and with Shane's offence looking less than stellar in his two previous appearances as an in-ring competitor, I'm not expecting much, just an awkward match where Styles carries the bulk of the work and bumps like mad for the middle aged boy wonder. And an AJ win because they wouldn't actually let Shane go over him. Right? RIGHT?!?

Paranoia aside, what do you folks think? Looking forward to seeing some of those 'great' punches of Shane McMahon or maybe you just want to see AJ beat the tar out of him in a cathartic experience?

As much as this is a waste of Styles, with his talent and McMahon's willingness to cripple himself, this should be the match of the night.

Also, Bryan has to give Styles the Knee Plus to help Shane win, which should be the moment of the night.

From a booking standpoint, it doesn't make sense for Styles to lose. He's won against damn near everyone he's faced. Hell, he even won the opportunity to wrestle Wyatt for the title before Orton waffled on his choice. Frankly, Styles winning just gives Shane more reason to move him over to Raw anyway. Shane is mostly just a spot monkey who lays down every match he's in. I could easily see one of his high flying moves meeting a phenomenal forearm, or a missed spot followed by a Styles clash.

As Jake mentioned, this is a waste of AJ Styles ability following a super hot year in WWE but his ability coupled with Shane McMahon's willingness to throw caution to the wind give this match a helluva lot of entertainment potential.

I'm also thinking that this bout may well be made some sort of no DQ match as it's the only feasible way Styles has a shot of losing. Shane McMahon isn't remotely on Styles' level and I personally wish/hope that the commentators note that next week because no matter how much they try to build Shane as a threat, nobody really sees him as one. Because of that and the general feeling that this isn't something that's really worthy of Styles given his ability and the work he's done in WWE over the past 14 months, enthusiasm for this is sort of like Taker vs. Shane last year: fans are interested, though mostly to see how far Shane is willing to go, but they know Shane has no chance.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else cringe when Shane starts "punching" or if that's what they call it in the MMA workout classes he takes at his gym? It just looks so damn stupid and 10 times faker than any wrestling punch thrown that it's kind of embarrassing. The way he holds is arms and the way they just dart all over the place puts me in mind of two valley girls trying to have some sort of prissy slap fight. All the more reason for some sort of no DQ stipulation so Shane can use chairs, kendo sticks and whatever else so he doesn't have to throw his little flailing slaps.

As to who wins, Styles should win this. I don't really see a viable argument for why he shouldn't; To me, it'd look like an embarrassment for AJ Styles, pretty much the best pro wrestler in the world right now, had classics with Roman Reigns, John Cena and Dean Ambrose, holder of one of the best WWE Championship reigns in several years, to lose for a 47 year old company executive who I hope and pray is done wrestling after this because the novelty is damn near gone.

I could something happening on smackdown next week that would raise the stakes for this match. What i would do if i was them is to have shane start the show next week and announce that this match will be a falls count anywhere match or a street fight, either match is fine with me, then this will bring out A.J. Styles that will propose or little side stipulation for this match. He would go on an propose that if he lose, he fired from smackdown but if he wins, he gets faces the winner of the bray wyatt, randy orton match at the next smackdown PPV for the wwe championship.

Shane agrees and A.J. low blow shane and hits the styles clash on shane.

Should be an entertaining little spot fest for the crowd. But this shit bores me.. GM vs Wrestler angles have been done to death. Their hasn't been anything good or special about this one... It isn't appealing to me personally. *Yawn*

I would've preferred another battle between John Cena and AJ Styles but it won't make sense as everything got over at Royal Rumble.

I am mildly interested in this match. There's a huge fear in my mind that Shane could likely win this match which would be a big dumb decision. I hope that Shane doesn't win at any cost. Also, doesn't make Styles look weak like he made The Undertaker last year.

One thing is sure that Shane will execute a high risk move like he did at Smackdown this week.

Again, please don't make Shane win.

Smackdown really on a negative side of Wrestlemania for having good to even great booking on a consistent week by week basis. The Womens Division is more solid in booking at least in comparison to RAW, and they kind of just throw every single one of them into a match that could of had a better combination as a 1 on 1 or even Triple threat. Mojo, Crews, Hawkins, etc are all mid card to Jobber, but they literally all got thrown into the Andre mess. Dean has great matches weeks on end as the initial champion (Especially with Styles). Everyone is well aware of Styles and Cena and what they are capable of on seemingly any occasion. Everyone is also aware of The Miz, Ziggler, and Baron Corbin. The tag division is kind of trash so whatever with that despite people being hyped on American Alpha at a point.

They just gave us a card of matches with a lot of the ideas and feuds rushed which is what usually Smackdown doesn't do. Which is also why people have a much more heavy positive reception for Smackdown.

I get Cena / Miz. It's kind of whatever, and I can see why they'd do it for Mania. I know both aren't going anywhere so I won't complain. Styles vs Shane is like a match I don't think I'd mind seeing, but not with how transparent or forced it was. Also not as Wrestlemania considering Shane's last match was beyond trash and Styles lost to Jericho. The Corbin vs Ambrose match has people trying to hospitalize or near kill eachother, but it's pretty tame.

This match is probably the worst in regards to everything stereo typically or expectantly bad booking. I've seen people say "Oh, well it shows you they're big on Styles, because Shane is working with AJ". I knew that when he walked out with no visit to NXT in the Rumble, and feuded with Jericho. Beat Cena at Summerslam, and won the title from Ambrose. Beat Cena one or two more times, and main evented a majority of Smackdown over guys they had already established on the same show.

I rather not just be hoping the son of the boss can be carried by Styles and he does silly dangerous big spots to entertain. I would of preferred to be invested in it to literally any degree. It's whatever, I'll probably watch how it goes and if it's trash 1/3 or 1/2 through I'll just turn it off and read results.

Smackdown really on a negative side of Wrestlemania for having good to even great booking on a consistent week by week basis. The Womens Division is more solid in booking at least in comparison to RAW, and they kind of just throw every single one of them into a match that could of had a better combination as a 1 on 1 or even Triple threat. Mojo, Crews, Hawkins, etc are all mid card to Jobber, but they literally all got thrown into the Andre mess. Dean has great matches weeks on end as the initial champion (Especially with Styles). Everyone is well aware of Styles and Cena and what they are capable of on seemingly any occasion. Everyone is also aware of The Miz, Ziggler, and Baron Corbin. The tag division is kind of trash so whatever with that despite people being hyped on American Alpha at a point.

There are a couple of problems that've become considered to be THE problems with WrestleMania over the past several years. The one that gets the most attention is the problem of WWE bringing in part time talent and giving them prime spots for WrestleMania as it rubs a number of fans the wrong way. Some of the reasons that it irks them include the fact they feel that stars who're busting their asses year round are getting shafted and the part timers just can't really get it done in the ring. The only part timer nobody really complains about is the Undertaker because of the respect he's earned over the last 2.5 decades.

The other problem is one that has two perspectives. WrestleMania has become the event of the multi-person matches it seems. The past few years have seen cards packed with triple threat, fatal fourway, fatal fiveway, ladder matches, battle royals, etc. and having so many of those matches on one card can sometimes dilute them. At the same time, however, it goes back to what I mentioned earlier about some fans feeling that some wrestlers get the shaft; there are wrestlers on the card who'll never be marquee stars, they'll never be main eventers, they don't get their faces put on the posters or do many media interviews but they put in as much work as the top talent does. They may lose every match they have, but they're still on the road 45 weeks or so out of the year dealing with the same sort of issues as the main eventers. As a result, being part of WrestleMania and sharing in the biggest payday of the year may be the highlight of the year for many of them, so while having so many multi-person matches can be a bit irritating to me as a fan, I have to admit that it's cool that everyone gets a little taste of the biggest show of the year because they've earned it.

While this match could turn out to be very entertaining, it could also turn out to be a disaster. We watched Shane almost kill himself at Survivor Series and totally miss Styles on SD the other night doing what he does best, being a spot monkey jumping off of high places.

Don't get me wrong I like both guys, but I just can't get by the feeling that Styles is totally getting screwed over this year, and the only reason he has Shane as an opponent is because they can't find anyone else to put him in a match with.

It didn't have to be Shane though. The WWE dropped the ball on this one big time and missed a golden opportunity. What they should have done is have Styles attack Shane in the garage like he did. Shane get's so pissed off he wants to fight Styles, but can't get cleared in time. So he does the only thing left, brings in a ringer. He gets in the ring last week and tells Styles he has a match a Mania, but won't find out till then who he's got a match with.

At Mania after they introduce Styles, have Nakamura's music hit and boom, Nakamura comes down and the two of them have the match of the night. That way could bring Nakamura up on a big way and we the fans would get to see one hell of a match.

Would also have Styles win and Shane gets so incensed that he trades Styles to RAW for another big name. It would kill numerous birds with one stone. Nakamura debuts and goes to Smackdown, Styles as Vince wants goes to RAW and SD gets Reigns or Joe.

JH said fans get irked when part timers come into the biggest show of the year and take plum spots. He right and Shane feuding with Styles is the reason why. Every year when Mania rolls around the McMahon's always have to be front and centre. Stephanie up there screaming like a fishwife, HHH having a match and now Shane.

Don't mind HHH as much, but like I've said before he doesn't need a Mania match every year and neither does Shane. They are fine in the capacity they work at without having to take another superstar's place.

While this match could turn out to be very entertaining, it could also turn out to be a disaster. We watched Shane almost kill himself at Survivor Series and totally miss Styles on SD the other night doing what he does best, being a spot monkey jumping off of high places.

Don't get me wrong I like both guys, but I just can't get by the feeling that Styles is totally getting screwed over this year, and the only reason he has Shane as an opponent is because they can't find anyone else to put him in a match with.

It didn't have to be Shane though. The WWE dropped the ball on this one big time and missed a golden opportunity. What they should have done is have Styles attack Shane in the garage like he did. Shane get's so pissed off he wants to fight Styles, but can't get cleared in time. So he does the only thing left, brings in a ringer. He gets in the ring last week and tells Styles he has a match a Mania, but won't find out till then who he's got a match with.

At Mania after they introduce Styles, have Nakamura's music hit and boom, Nakamura comes down and the two of them have the match of the night. That way could bring Nakamura up on a big way and we the fans would get to see one hell of a match.

Would also have Styles win and Shane gets so incensed that he trades Styles to RAW for another big name. It would kill numerous birds with one stone. Nakamura debuts and goes to Smackdown, Styles as Vince wants goes to RAW and SD gets Reigns or Joe.

JH said fans get irked when part timers come into the biggest show of the year and take plum spots. He right and Shane feuding with Styles is the reason why. Every year when Mania rolls around the McMahon's always have to be front and centre. Stephanie up there screaming like a fishwife, HHH having a match and now Shane.

Don't mind HHH as much, but like I've said before he doesn't need a Mania match every year and neither does Shane. They are fine in the capacity they work at without having to take another superstar's place.

I get what your saying but we as fans need to remember that wrestlemania is pretty much become an event for the casual fans and it's the one time of the year where we as fans are not important in the eyes of the wwe. Has much as a nakamura vs aj would have been a good match, casual fans don't know who is nakamura, so it might be an attraction for us but it means nothing to the casual fan. Using somebody like a shane mcmahon is showing out much fate wwe as in aj to put him in a high profile match like this one.

We as fan, don't see what's best for business sometimes and would rather the wwe book for us fan then for what bes for the company in general. I'm not a huge fan of this match in general but I get why this as to be done. They want aj to be in a high profile match and get the rub from a part timer which is what part timers should be use for as mania.

In the end, I rather see aj in this match that been buried in the midcard of wrestlemania in a nothing match. As for nakamura I would rather have him debut on either the raw or smackdown after mania then on mania itself. The guy would get lost if he debut at mania, just like if balor comes back at mania and he deserve better then then the have his debut waste. This guys is money in my opinion and you could create a bigger superstar with a debut after mania then during it.

I get what your saying but we as fans need to remember that wrestlemania is pretty much become an event for the casual fans and it's the one time of the year where we as fans are not important in the eyes of the wwe. Has much as a nakamura vs aj would have been a good match, casual fans don't know who is nakamura, so it might be an attraction for us but it means nothing to the casual fan. Using somebody like a shane mcmahon is showing out much fate wwe as in aj to put him in a high profile match like this one.

We as fan, don't see what's best for business sometimes and would rather the wwe book for us fan then for what bes for the company in general. I'm not a huge fan of this match in general but I get why this as to be done. They want aj to be in a high profile match and get the rub from a part timer which is what part timers should be use for as mania.

In the end, I rather see aj in this match that been buried in the midcard of wrestlemania in a nothing match. As for nakamura I would rather have him debut on either the raw or smackdown after mania then on mania itself. The guy would get lost if he debut at mania, just like if balor comes back at mania and he deserve better then then the have his debut waste. This guys is money in my opinion and you could create a bigger superstar with a debut after mania then during it.

And I get what you are saying, but you forget that Wrestlemania tickets went on sale 5 months ago and sold out. The event sells itself as there is no way back then anyone could have guessed who would be on the card or carrying the belts into the championship matches. You could put a trained chimpanzee in there facing a guy standing on his head in the corner spitting wooden nickels and people would be stuck watching it.

So you don't like the Nakamura idea, put Kurt Angle in his place, put anyone but Shane McMahon. AJ Styles had arguably the best debut year of any wrestler in the WWE recently. To lumber him in a match with a guy who wrestler's about as many times a year as Undertaker is ridiculous. Like I said before, he nearly kills himself everytime he's in the ring and I think he is sloppy and that makes him dangerous. Not only to himself but to his opponent.

There to me anyway is a huge difference between a Brock Lesnar and a Shane McMahon. Lesnar is a trained wrestler, McMahon couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Shane McMahon is the kind of part timer I hate to see on the biggest show of the year, I'm sorry but he just doesn't need to be there, buried in the midcard with one of the best wrestlers on the planet. Styles with what he's done this year deserves so much more at Mania.

And I get what you are saying, but you forget that Wrestlemania tickets went on sale 5 months ago and sold out. The event sells itself as there is no way back then anyone could have guessed who would be on the card or carrying the belts into the championship matches. You could put a trained chimpanzee in there facing a guy standing on his head in the corner spitting wooden nickels and people would be stuck watching it.

So you don't like the Nakamura idea, put Kurt Angle in his place, put anyone but Shane McMahon. AJ Styles had arguably the best debut year of any wrestler in the WWE recently. To lumber him in a match with a guy who wrestler's about as many times a year as Undertaker is ridiculous. Like I said before, he nearly kills himself everytime he's in the ring and I think he is sloppy and that makes him dangerous. Not only to himself but to his opponent.

There to me anyway is a huge difference between a Brock Lesnar and a Shane McMahon. Lesnar is a trained wrestler, McMahon couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Shane McMahon is the kind of part timer I hate to see on the biggest show of the year, I'm sorry but he just doesn't need to be there, buried in the midcard with one of the best wrestlers on the planet. Styles with what he's done this year deserves so much more at Mania.

Just to clarified a point in my comment, when I'm talking about an event for the casual fans, I'm talking about subscription to the network not ticket sales. Like it or not, shane does draw to type of fans. He was a huge attraction during the attitude era.

I think that we as fans seems to be missing the big picture in this match. I know we would want aj to get this classic mania match because he had a great year, and we dismiss shane because he's a non wrestler, but when shane want to, he can actually have classic matches. I think this match will surprise alot of fans that didn't want tis match to happen.

I think while I might not be what we wanted to see for aj at mania, I think this is a great way to cap off what was his best year of his career. He ot one of the headlining match at mania, what more do you want for him.

What I load of BS. If this match isn't a street fight why is this match happening. If Shane isn't jumping off something big or doing something crazy why is he in a match at mania. WASTE

Last night made it sound as though Styles might lose and if he does, then this is a definite waste of a top tier talent. I mean, let's face it, Shane McMahon should be carrying Styles' bag from his car to the locker room and everyone knows it.

I dunno, it'd just be a major pecker slap in the minds of a lot of fans if 47 year old Shane McMahon, who's had maybe 20 or so matches his entire life, went over a guy that's been touted as one of the best in-ring guys in the world for the last 15 years or so. I think Shane winning would also just suck the energy out of the building because the fans simply aren't on Shane's side; fans like the guy and they like cheering him, but not when it comes to him winning a match against AJ Styles. So if Vince does intend to make the idiotic mistake of having his one and only precious baby boy beating the guy that's probably viewed as the best pro wrestler in the world today, then he should put it in the next to last match.

Aftr last night, I could see shane winning this because of how big aj's ego as become which would be some make sense especially if they want to move a.j styles to raw after mania.

I think sometimes, fans then to take the winning and losing stuff to seriously and don't want to see the bigger picture and this match is the perfect exemple of a match serving a bigger purpse then just what the outcome will be

Aftr last night, I could see shane winning this because of how big aj's ego as become which would be some make sense especially if they want to move a.j styles to raw after mania.

I think sometimes, fans then to take the winning and losing stuff to seriously and don't want to see the bigger picture and this match is the perfect exemple of a match serving a bigger purpse then just what the outcome will be

I tend to agree about AJ's ego, but this isn't a B PPV we are talking about or an episode of SD Live, this is Wrestlemania literally the biggest show of the year. He lost to Jericho last year in his Mania debut, and to have Styles lose again to really a non-wrestler in Shane McMahon would be a crime. Last Mania Shane lost to the Undertaker, a man who is 50 years old and can barely walk. To have him go over Styles one of the best in the world, just no.

I like Shane and I like that he isn't a Stephanie hogging the spotlight all the time, but in this case I would lose some respect for him and the McMahon's in general if Shane wins. Said it before, HHH, Shane and the rest don't need to be involved in matches every year. At least not when others who bust their asses are stuck in a Battle Royal for no prize at the end of it. That stadium will be sold out no matter if HHH or Shane is on the card or not.

I tend to agree about AJ's ego, but this isn't a B PPV we are talking about or an episode of SD Live, this is Wrestlemania literally the biggest show of the year. He lost to Jericho last year in his Mania debut, and to have Styles lose again to really a non-wrestler in Shane McMahon would be a crime. Last Mania Shane lost to the Undertaker, a man who is 50 years old and can barely walk. To have him go over Styles one of the best in the world, just no.

I like Shane and I like that he isn't a Stephanie hogging the spotlight all the time, but in this case I would lose some respect for him and the McMahon's in general if Shane wins. Said it before, HHH, Shane and the rest don't need to be involved in matches every year. At least not when others who bust their asses are stuck in a Battle Royal for no prize at the end of it. That stadium will be sold out no matter if HHH or Shane is on the card or not.

These matches are not made for tickets sells, they know that the event will be sold out before the card is announce. These matches are made to increase the network subscriptions number, that's all these matches are all about. While I agree with you that shane shouldn't to win the match, you coild do it so that he looks strong in losing and it's just an mistake that cost him the victory. Which would advance the story where aj wants to leave smackdown after this lost.

You could also do it the other way and aj wins after a tough match and gets a title match agains the winner of orton and wyatt, but you put a stipulation that if he lose the title match at the next smackdown ppv he's fired from smackdown.

It would be ridiculous if AJ Styles lost to Shane McMahon.

Wins and Losses do matter. A lot. See Braun Strowman before Fastlane and then after Fastlane. Just one clean defeat. Saying that wins and losses don't matter is just a way to cover up.

AJ Styles is one of the best wrestlers. Shane is a good part-time wrestler but why would he need a win against AJ Styles?

AJ Styles should win this and also decisively.

Rumor is Aj Styles is due to title match after Mania. So, no way he loses this if they plan to insert him in title feud next. Though, its WWE, he did lost to Jericho last year and was no1 contender against Reigns in next PPV. So logic is not strong side of them. Dont believe he would lose this though.

Definitely not the most desired match for AJ, but beating a McMahon at WM is a big deal, even if it's "only" Shane. It's something very few in WWE have done.

A good match which passed low expectations easily.

Shane has still got it. Shooting Star Press? Damn. Also, I was afraid that he landed abruptly after this high-flying move. The elbow drop through the announcement table was expected. But I didn't expect a Shooting Star Press in my wildest dreams. I'm more happy that the right person won.

Easily, one of the best matches of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back