Who I think should be AJ Styles' opponent at Wrestlemania 33

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I am someone who wants the WWE Title to be Bray v Orton one-on-one, and add no-one to the match. I am sick of Triple-Threat WWE Title matches at WM.

Also, I don't like the talk that it might be A.J. Styles v Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania. Shane isn't a wrestler, all people will want from him is to do some stunt, and he hasn't even been on air for months.

So, who do I want A.J. to fight instead, if I don't want him in the WWE Title match or fighting Shane?

Well, my suggestion is that his WM 33 opponent be- LUKE HARPER!

Harper is currently a face, and A.J. is a heel. Harper has shown himself as a good worker in the ring as a big man (I heard a lot of positive reviews of his performance at "Elimination Chamber") and both "won" the Battle Royal last week.

I want it to happen on "Smackdown" that Orton RKO's both men in their match on "Smackdown" and then say that he will fight Bray after all for the belt.

Daniel Bryan then announces that Luke Harper will fight A.J. Styles in a No 1 Contender's Match at Wrestlemania 33, with the winner getting a shot post-WM.

This would give both guys a significant match on the card, without shoehorning them into the WWE Title Match, which should be a culmination of the Bray-Orton storyline they have built for six months now.

The idea of Harper vs. AJ itself isn't a bad one, I think it would be fun to see. But having #1 Contender matches at WrestleMania is an AWFUL idea.

AJ should be fighting the following people from best to worst:

1. Bray and Cena
2. Bray
3. Bray and Orton
4. UT
5. Orton
6. Cena
789,126,678,356. Bishop Desmond Tutu
Infinity. Harper

Harper is no where near AJ's level and the two of them feuding doesn't intrigue me at all. AJ would get a good match out of him because he's AJ and it's WM but what else is there to get excited about this match up?

I enjoy SD. I enjoy how they're dragging out this storyline. I like what they are doing for Harper but he's still just Harper and his recent pops don't mean shit.

AJ belongs with the top tier of WWE at Mania. Hell, I would love him or Orton to get thrown in to what could be a train wreck of smarks and crap workrate in the Lesnar/Goldberg main event.

Its been leaked and reported on wrestlezone first with an article of AJ Styles wanting to face Randy Orton and it seems wwe is going that direction placing AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Luke Harper for WM 33 WHC main event. I see Randy Orton winning and Luke Harper rejoining Bray Wyatt afterwards as a 2 on 1 beating afterwards but hate to tell you if it is Luke Harper the main event will suck! Yes Shane Mcmoron vs AJ Styles is nothing but a gap filler cause the matches are a snoozefest and let's not forget Shaq is dissing wwe cause it is a joke of a match for him to face Big Slow for a boring match as far boring as Andre vs Big John Studd and Big Slow vs Great Khali
I am sure hoping AJ Styles wins tonight as the best bet for the 3 threat match or make it a 4 corners match with Luke Harper cause this match sure will go to my main man Randy Orton winning his 13th title and he ll surpass cena soon. Rest of the card is a snoozefest that will put you to sleep!

Well just as I said it all along and predicted for months that it will be AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton. I hope wwe stinks to this cause the rest of the card is snoozefest that will put you to sleep. If I had to change matches around and guest host I wouldn't have the 3 stooges hosting and ruining WM extragavanza period cause this isn't a Saturday morning childs show or the Tonight Show. I would place Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman and STING vs underflaker scrap Big slow match as well

I would place Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman and STING vs underflaker scrap Big slow match as well

Look, everyone who posts on these forums fairly often knows that you want Taker vs. Sting but constantly whining about it will not make it happen. Taker vs. Sting is almost certainly never going to happen because WWE will not run the risk of Sting getting injured again. By the time WrestleMania comes around, Sting will officially be 58 years old and Taker will be 52 and it's not exactly like Taker vs. Sting would be a good match. If it was 10 years ago, it'd be a damn good match but neither of these men are remotely what they were 10 years ago. Even though we've been saying this for a long time, this may well be Taker's last WrestleMania and that might explain why they're said to be going with Taker vs. Reigns for some sort of pass the torch sort of deal. I don't have all that much confidence in Roman Reigns being able to help make up for Taker's shortcomings but we'll see.

As far as Big Show vs. Shaq, there's talk that the match might indeed be off according to Shaq himself. I don't know if they're trying to work us or if the match is really off, but Shaq said himself on the podcast that it's not looking good. I immediately got suspicious when Strowman went clean over Show on Raw last week; I figured they'd want to protect Show if he was going to be in a high profile wrestler vs. celebrity match but maybe that's not the case.

As for the idea of Styles vs. Harper, the hell for? He essentially just beat him twice tonight already. I like Harper, have since he first showed up, but he's not on Styles' level right now and being hot shot into a match with Styles at WrestleMania would be better than nothing, but I don't see it going down that way. Unless they go the route of having Styles be idiotic enough to agree to risk his #1 contender's spot against Randy Orton in a match, then it looks like we'll indeed be getting Wyatt vs. Styles vs. Orton. Of course, another possibility is that Shane decides to take it upon himself to force Styles into a #1 contender's match with Orton, Styles loses and this leads up to the rumored Styles vs. Shane match for WrestleMania. I'm over the novelty of Shane McMahon getting the snot beaten out of him by wrestlers and the sight of him pulling off his various high spots. They had Styles win against Harper so he should be involved in the title match at WrestleMania, in my opinion.

Well just as I said it all along and predicted for months that it will be AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton. I hope wwe stinks to this cause the rest of the card is snoozefest that will put you to sleep. If I had to change matches around and guest host I wouldn't have the 3 stooges hosting and ruining WM extragavanza period cause this isn't a Saturday morning childs show or the Tonight Show. I would place Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman and STING vs underflaker scrap Big slow match as well

See, this is why I have a problem with Triple-Threats at Wrestlemania.

Now, it would be one thing if all three had shown hatred towards each other, or A.J. had been involved in the Orton-Wyatt storyline previously.

However, making it a Triple-Threat now screams "A match between two guys who had a storyline and a third guy, because we don't have an opponent for him at Wrestlemania".

Styles had no issue with Orton or Bray previously, or even crossed their path. He feels "tacked on". I would rather Styles have fought someone like Dolph Ziggler or Luke Harper (for those saying that he deserves more than that, have it in the middle of the card, it's not like it would be for a title).

Look past your "Styles" love and see that even Harper in the match would make more sense, since he has an issue with both Orton and Bray.

I wonder why they seem reluctant to have Orton v Bray one-on-one. They fought once, and haven't fought again, not on Smackdown, and not on PPV. 'Mania should have been the blow-off, not a sidetrack.

Especially now that there is a legitimate reason for Orton and Bray to tear each other apart, they instead have A.J. as well, who has nothing to do with the whole thing.

Unless they plan to have A.J. win the belt. If so, then why not have had A.J. have kept it at Royal Rumble, and not involve Orton or Bray in the title picture at all, or had Orton v Bray at "Elimination Chamber", and have Orton v Styles at WM for title, and Bray v Harper.

I remember people complaining about Shawn Michaels being added to the main event of WrestleMania 20, but that match turned out ok, didn't it?

AJ Styles is one of (if not the) greatest wrestlers in the world. He adds a certain element of variation here that the WWE title does not. He stands to use his talent to elevate this match to new heights.

There are two outcomes, and no matter what Orton gets added to the main event. If Styles is removed (he absolutely should not), then who is left for him to compete against?

WWE considers Shane McMahon to be a star. They're not incorrect. He has the name McMahon, a name casuals recognize. There is star power to a Styles vs Shane match, it just doesn't feel like the best way to use a top guy like AJ.

What else is there? Styles could have a show stealing match with Ziggler, he could work show stealing inter-promotional matches with Cesaro, Rusev, or even the recently debuted Samoa Joe. The point is, they're alll a step-up wrestling-wise, they're all a step down entertainment-wise.

WWE will always book to what sells to casuals over hardcore wrestling fans. Hardcore fans want Styles in both a top spot and in a quality match, but the pickings are slim. WWE isn't going to put Styles and Joe together (they won't risk 100,000 people in Orlando chanting 'TNA' at WrestleMania).

Personally I would have run Cena vs Styles again and had a loser leaves town stipulation, or final confrontation, but they want to use Cena in other ways.

They're out of options. Shane doesn't need to wrestle. Styles should be in the main event. It just makes sense. He's a main event guy, and his presence only enhances the WWE title match.

The booking is easy. Orton has reenacted his Rumble win, Styles has one the number 1 contender spot, therefore triple threat. If they decide to write Styles out, he loses his shot to Orton, likely with a Shane blunder or shenanigans (he'll be quest ref or something).

There have been great WreslteMania triple threats (WrestleMania 20) and there have been not as great ones like Cena vs Orton vs Triple at 24 or Cena vs Edge vs Big Show. I don't even remember Angle vs Rey vs Orton, so it probably was non-miraculous. This would mark Orton's third WreslteMania main event triple threat match.

Shane doesn't need a match. The tension will be higher if Bray and Randy face one on one. Styles is one of the best in the world, and facing Shane wouldn't hurt his career. Keep Styles in the WWE title match.

Luke Harper superkicked Shane, let those two fight.

I know that it was done a few years ago. But I think he should face Orton in the opening match with the winner going on to face Wyatt for the title later on in the night.

I still hope it won't be Shane McMahon. I can't help but wonder how that creative meeting went down or how in the living hell Shane McMahon of all people came up as a choice for AJ Styles to face at WrestleMania. What if this isn't even a no holds barred match or anything crazy? What good will it do for anyone for AJ to drag Shane through a 20 minute regular match on the biggest PPV of the year? It's pretty much set in stone that Shane will strip AJ of his title match because Orton is back on. It doesn't make any sense at all unless Shane is turning heel and AJ is turning face respectively.

I was for a while now since I started reading WrestleMania rumors which by the way the past few years have been dead on despite myself and everyone else not wanting to believe them, hoping that Shinsuke Nakamura would be called up to face AJ at the big show. In fact I even made the segment on WWE 2k17 where AJ challenges Shane to a match and Shane declined saying he wouldn't be competition to AJ but that he had signed someone that would be and Nakamura's music hit. Would have been awesome. A long shot I get it as that's a lot for someone straight out of NXT, but it would have been better than what we are most likely getting.

I don't complain to much about WWE and just go along for the ride more often than not but this just seems like a huge waste of AJ at WrestleMania of all places after the incredible first year he had with the company. I don't care if Shane is Vince's son or he was a big deal at one point or just had a snoozefest match last year at Mania with Undertaker. Him having a regular one on one match with anyone let alone AJ Styles sounds laughable unless a gimmick match is added.

If Shane HAS to be on the card give him to Roman Reigns in a street fight. Play off the spear that broke him in half at Survivor Series and give AJ the Undertaker. Countless other options that could have happened and they go with one that left everyone going...huh?

I still hope it won't be Shane McMahon. I can't help but wonder how that creative meeting went down or how in the living hell Shane McMahon of all people came up as a choice for AJ Styles to face at WrestleMania. What if this isn't even a no holds barred match or anything crazy? What good will it do for anyone for AJ to drag Shane through a 20 minute regular match on the biggest PPV of the year? It's pretty much set in stone that Shane will strip AJ of his title match because Orton is back on. It doesn't make any sense at all unless Shane is turning heel and AJ is turning face respectively.

I was for a while now since I started reading WrestleMania rumors which by the way the past few years have been dead on despite myself and everyone else not wanting to believe them, hoping that Shinsuke Nakamura would be called up to face AJ at the big show. In fact I even made the segment on WWE 2k17 where AJ challenges Shane to a match and Shane declined saying he wouldn't be competition to AJ but that he had signed someone that would be and Nakamura's music hit. Would have been awesome. A long shot I get it as that's a lot for someone straight out of NXT, but it would have been better than what we are most likely getting.

I don't complain to much about WWE and just go along for the ride more often than not but this just seems like a huge waste of AJ at WrestleMania of all places after the incredible first year he had with the company. I don't care if Shane is Vince's son or he was a big deal at one point or just had a snoozefest match last year at Mania with Undertaker. Him having a regular one on one match with anyone let alone AJ Styles sounds laughable unless a gimmick match is added.

If Shane HAS to be on the card give him to Roman Reigns in a street fight. Play off the spear that broke him in half at Survivor Series and give AJ the Undertaker. Countless other options that could have happened and they go with one that left everyone going...huh?

After I predicted months of a triple threat match involving AJ Styles vs Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt as this match is the only interesting match so far since rest of the card is a snoozefest. Shane mc moron & HHH should keep out and not hog the spotlight on themselves

Not crazy about Bray Wyatt being a face now.

Bray Wyatt is megomaniacal cult leader who lords over people with fear and manipulation. You can't have the "Eater Of Worlds" be a nice guy.

This is where WWE is inconsistent. They won't turn Cena or Reigns, despite them being booed, they keep A.J. Styles as a heel, even though he is roundly cheered.

Yet they turn Bray because the fans cheer him and yell "You Deserve It" and they turned New Day into faces instead of remaining annoying, disingenious heels.

Some gimmicks work as heel. Bray Wyatt is one of them. The end of "Smackdown" made him look like a fool, and he is supposed to be the master of mind games.

Bray's gimmick will be watered down if he comes out smiling and touching people's hands down the aisle.

I would have had Bray turning on Harper be a ruse, and both of them turn on Randy Orton, who then seeks revenge and invokes his Wrestlemania title shot. Simple!

What if: Owens survives Goldberg somehow.
Following night, Balor returns and challenges Owens. Y2J returns and screws Owens from the title. Balor wins back the Universal Championship.
SD: Shane says that Orton is back on track for the title, so it's Bray vs Orton at Wrestlemania. Styles won't accept this.
Next week, Foley and Steph bring out their newest signee, AJ Styles! Styles says that he's jumping ship, because RAW gave him something Smackdown wouldn't: a shot at the world title.
Shane won't accept this breach of contract, this leads to a Street Fight between Shane and Styles, if Styles wins, he's free to leave for RAW. Of course he does.

And it's Balor vs Styles for the Universal Championship at Wrestlemania.

One can dream, right?

I read all of that for luke harper? No dude. Even shane is a better choice. Obviously nakamura is the best option but they wont do that. But still guys like Finn balor and samoa joe still dont have matches. Or even Undertaker. And just have roman reigns win the universal title before mania instead. There are far better options then luke harper.

The idea of Harper vs. AJ itself isn't a bad one, I think it would be fun to see. But having #1 Contender matches at WrestleMania is an AWFUL idea.

AGREED.

HOWEVER.... If WWE put any effort into consistency in the determining of the #1 contender, then a #1C match at Mania could actually be a pretty big deal.

But, since they don't, it's not, and the idea of a #1C match at Mania is not a good one.

What if: Owens survives Goldberg somehow.
Following night, Balor returns and challenges Owens. Y2J returns and screws Owens from the title. Balor wins back the Universal Championship.
SD: Shane says that Orton is back on track for the title, so it's Bray vs Orton at Wrestlemania. Styles won't accept this.
Next week, Foley and Steph bring out their newest signee, AJ Styles! Styles says that he's jumping ship, because RAW gave him something Smackdown wouldn't: a shot at the world title.
Shane won't accept this breach of contract, this leads to a Street Fight between Shane and Styles, if Styles wins, he's free to leave for RAW. Of course he does.

And it's Balor vs Styles for the Universal Championship at Wrestlemania.

One can dream, right?

Balor vs. Styles would be a fantastic match/feud for me, but if they're going to do it, I say bring Balor to SDL and just have the feud w/o the title. SDL needs a couple more names.

Styles has been botched since Rumble.

* Should've retained at Rumble, Cena with a 2 week title reign? Why?
* Wyatt should've won the Rumble and Styles retains at Chamber

AJ Styles vs. Bray Wyatt (WWE Title at Mania)
* This storyline would've made much more sense. Then when Wyatt wins his 1st World Title at Mania he beats the guy that has owned Cena & Ambrose.

Side Note: Pulled the plug on Orton/Wyatt Family Angle way to early. This could've been something drawn out to a match for the belt at Summerslam.

I know everyone loves Luke Harper all of a sudden, and I'll admit he is fairly underrated, but the simple fact is - he's not credible enough.

When was the last time he won a match? All he has done is take pinfalls so Bray didn't have to. Give him a year, a mid-card title reign, and then maybe but not this year.

Styles should face Balor. It would be the best match, and they have history in New Japan. I know we're getting Styles vs Shane, but I'm completely against it.

I love the idea that was posted of AJ vs Taker. Why not? It goes well with the Shane/AJ friction. Shane tells AJ he has the ideal opponent for him, cue Taker's music. The build would be great and I think the match would deliver. That would be a WrestleMania type match.

I know everyone loves Luke Harper all of a sudden, and I'll admit he is fairly underrated, but the simple fact is - he's not credible enough.

When was the last time he won a match? All he has done is take pinfalls so Bray didn't have to. Give him a year, a mid-card title reign, and then maybe but not this year.

Styles should face Balor. It would be the best match, and they have history in New Japan. I know we're getting Styles vs Shane, but I'm completely against it.
You're right in saying that Luke Harper ain't credible enough. Atleast nowhere near Bray, Styles etc.

As much as I would love Balor Vs. Styles, it doesn't make sense either. They do have a history but it was in NJPW. Not to forget that both are in different brands. It would be a lot better than AJ Styles Vs. Shane McMahon. But the latter atleast has some build while the former doesn't have any.

Balor against Styles makes no sense for a number of reason. First of all they aren't even on the same show and have no history between them since coming to the WWE.

Second of all, Balor's fight is with whomever the Universal Champion is at the moment. He had to give up the title and by rights should get an immediate title show when he returns. Unfortunately we are going to have Styles vs Shane, for some unknown reason that I have yet to figure out. Last time Shane was in the ring he got folded in half by Reigns and has no business being there at all.

Pisses me off when HHH and Shane have to have matches at Mania. Styles has had a hell of a year and deserves better. He'll get a good match out of Shane, but it's bullshit.

Triple Threat with Orton and Wyatt.. If they want to involve Shane that badly in Wrestlemania make him the guest referee.. It's probably way overbooked, but something like that works. I would love to see them close the show at WM. Have the Smackdown brand put on a great memorable title match.

Between Goldberg squash matches, Cena/Miz/Bella/Maryse, Undertaker facing Reigns their is enough gimmicky matches for Mania. I really don't want to see them add another with Shane vs Styles.

They COULD make an AJ Styles vs Finn Balor match work. They'd have to make it that Shane uses Balor as his proxy in the ring. Maybe they have Styles attack Shane, and Shane isn't cleared to compete so he gets a proxy and it's Balor.

Otherwise, it'll be Shane. Orton will win Tuesday. Styles will flip out on Shane and beat the piss out of him. Shane challenges him to Wrestlemania. Probably will be a gimmick match. Blah.

Balor against Styles makes no sense for a number of reason. First of all they aren't even on the same show and have no history between them since coming to the WWE.

Second of all, Balor's fight is with whomever the Universal Champion is at the moment. He had to give up the title and by rights should get an immediate title show when he returns. Unfortunately we are going to have Styles vs Shane, for some unknown reason that I have yet to figure out. Last time Shane was in the ring he got folded in half by Reigns and has no business being there at all.

Pisses me off when HHH and Shane have to have matches at Mania. Styles has had a hell of a year and deserves better. He'll get a good match out of Shane, but it's bullshit.

I think that they should do A.J. v Finn Balor at WM34 instead, since it needs a bit of build.

Here's how I would do it. Move A.J. to RAW, and have A.J. and Balor fight over the Club.

I notice that when Balor comes out, it says "Balor Club" on his video. Maybe A.J. says that he is the leader of the Bullet Club, and Finn says that he is the leader of the Balor Club.

Anderson and Gallows would be involved, and have to decide who they side with. Maybe have the match be that the winner gets to be the leader of "The Club", and Anderson and Gallows will follow that person.

So, like it or not, after last night, it seems like AJ will be feuding with shane mcmahon at mania.

I don't know how they will get to the point we're shane accept the match with aj but if I was booking this I would have aj taunt him until he except the match at mania and I would add the stipulation if shane wins, then aj get send to raw and if aj wins then aj gets the next title shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back