Wrestlemania Plans for Dolph Ziggler

The Eighties

Forward Thinking Nostalgist
Reading around this morning the idea of this seems to bother quite a few people, including the guy that writes for the front page of this site.

The reasoning seems to be that Foley can't bring much any more and that Ziggler would be best showcased in a match with another stellar athlete, but I disagree.

Having a 15-20 minute match with another great athlete is all well and good but we know Dolph can do this, we've seen him do it, what Dolph needs is a feud behind his match to drive him closer to being the main event talent most of us think he can be.

In the past Foley has been used as the legitimizer for Rock, Triple H, Orton and Edge, being the guy that puts the next big heel through the hardcore ringer and then puts them over, whether he has a match like that in him now is debatable for sure;

What is not debatable is that he is a legend and still has the mic skills to get the audience emotionally invested, if Dolph can use this to really flesh out his character and take his mic work to the next level, then a feud with Foley and match with him at Mania will do more for Ziggler than a dozen 5 star matches.

I'm hoping for this match-up so much. Look at Mick Foley's unprecedented past; he's helped establish alot of this generation's most renowned talents such as Triple H, Edge and Randy Orton. Envision him putting Dolph Ziggler over in what could possibly be the best match on the card. Throw in a hardcore-type stipulation and we have ourselves a phenomenal match which could only lead to great things. This is what I've been hoping for; Mick Foley to step back in the ring to help put over some of this generation’s finest up-and-comers. If Ziggler and Foley can manage to deliver in an excellent match/feud for Wrestlemania, there will undoubtedly be enough reason for Dolph Ziggler to garner main event level heat. Once the feud is completed, Dolph will likely be all set for the main event picture – which so many of us want. Mick Foley is the right way to go.

I would be down for it. Foley has the track record of putting over young guys. Look at Orton for example. Everyone viewed him as a pretty boy and his hardcore match showed that he could hang with the best of them. I don't see how it can hurt Ziggler in any way.

It will be great. However, I think that WWE will make him lose, but anyways, lose or win, it will raise him as a wrestler.

I love Foley, he is one of my all time favorites. He was great in the ring and out at using humor and anger to sell his stories. However, I am not interested in this happening at Mania for the following reasons:

- there is enough emotional investment in WM already
- Ziggler is sort of right, no one should have to pay to watch this version of Foley wrestle
- if you already have Rock, UT and HHH involved it's not right to give another spot to a retired or part-time guy
- I'm not a fan of Ziggler but is there anything for him to really gain by beating an out of shape legend that hasn't beat much of anyone in years
- I like hardcore wrestling but hardcore is dead in WWE, whether Ziggler wins or loses going hardcore doesn't really fit his character or advance him as a competitor
- This match isn't going to improve your WM buys

I say save this for a lesser PPV or do it on Raw.

I've got no real problem with it myself. I think it's fair to say that hardly anyone believes that Dolph Ziggler will walk out of the Royal Rumble as WWE Champion. Given what happend with Foley & JL last night on Raw, don't be at all surprised if Foley gets involved in the title match and helps Punk to retain.

A feud with Foley could do good things for Ziggler. I think it's pretty obvious that they have good chemistry, you could sense that much last night. Ziggler gave the best mic work of his career last night and working with a legend, especially a beloved legend that's still relevant with modern fans, coiuld elevate Ziggler's stock. Plus, it could give Ziggler a high profile match at WrestleMania. I don't think anyone thinks Foley would win, but it might draw some ppv buys from fans looking for a nostalgia fix to see Foley wrestle inside a WWE ring again, something we're probably not going to see very often anymore.

If a match at WM does take place, I expect that it'll be a no DQ match so as to sort of protect Foley. Let's face it, a HUGE part of Foley's legacy is based around hardcore/no DQ matches. He's never been especially athletic inside the ring or technically sound, so this sort of match is really the only way I think people could see him maybe having a chance to beat Ziggler. Foley's also been really good and telling stories through these sorts of matches. His hardcore matches in WWE haven't been about just moving from one big spot or quickly going from one weapon after another. Most of them have told some damn good stories. It's also an opportunity for Ziggler to sorta show his chops and toughness by hanging with and, most likely, defeat the hardcore legend.

Honestly, if WWE where to make this happen then I can't see anything but good coming from it.

The reason for my optimistic view on a Foley/Ziggler feud is because these 2 excel at every aspect of wrestling. Dolph Ziggler as he showcased last night has grown tremendously on the mic, has always been a tremendous asset in the ring, and is on the verge of truly breaking the last glass ceiling. Foley while never having been a master technician or physically masterful, has been able to tell great stories while managing to have fun, and brutal hardcore matches over the years.

When you take a closer look at the aspect of putting Ziggler over through this feud, notice the similarities between Edge and him. Both men at this point in their careers (Edge in 2006, Ziggler now) they had been testing the waters on a main event run for awhile but still had yet to break-out. Not to mention that the in ring skills of both men are great and could pull out an enjoyable match with almost anyone. Anyway Foley did it for Edge at the perfect time, he did for Orton at the right time in his career, and it looks like he may do the same to Ziggler at this point in WWE run. Basically Dolph Ziggler like Edge before him is ripe for a main event breakthrough, Foley putting him over will just solidify as a star.

A possible Wrestlemania match is probably the biggest pro to a possible feud. Foley never disappoints in Hardcore matches (which I have no doubt it would be a hardcore match). This could be a phenomenal Wrestlemania match that has the potential to match the Edge/Foley match from Wrestlemania 22. This is probably the best option for Ziggler considering that I doubt he walks out of the Royal Rumble as the WWE champion.

I say a Ziggler/Foley feud would bring nothing but good, if WWE where to go down that road then by all means proceed to.

I could dig it a match between Ziggy and Mick at Mania. Ziggler has been walking the line between top midcarder and a main eventer, but nothing has ever really pushed him over the line to the main event.

Quite frankly, and I know there are some people who will want me crucified for saying this, but Ziggler isn't good enough to get to the main event based on his merits alone. He's a flashy wrestler that needs a veteran talent like Cena or Edge in order to put on a good match, and his mic skills are wildly overrated. He talks fast sometimes... but he doesn't say much of anything at all, and he usually just builds himself up, not his programs.

But beating a beloved legend like Foley would be exactly what it takes to get Ziggler a solid push onto those sacred main event grounds. The WWE will be buzzing with the potential return of one of their favorite stars, but Ziggler can end that all at Mania with a win. From there the WWE can phase out Vickie, and Ziggler could get by on the heat from forcing Mick Foley out of the WWE for months.

This match is phenomenal for Ziggler. Foley can still go, Ziggler is right on the cust of full-time Main Event. His promo work is great now, he has a phenomenal look, he has been putting on the best matches night in and night out, he did double time on PPV, back-to-back. The WWE has incredible faith in Ziggler, and rightfully so.

Give him a match with a WWE legend, in a Hardcore environment, to show that Ziggler can work in these type of matches. Then post-Mania, dump Vickie and win the World Title. They just have to make sure it differentiates from Edge vs. Foley at Mania 22.

Sorry one more thing. Most seem to agree that Foley and Edge's feud was epic and they put on a great match at WM. When we make a similar expectation for Ziggler/Foley, don't we set ourselves up for disappointment? Either we expect them to deliver at such a high level and end up being disappointed when they don't (let's face it, it is six years later) or we expect them to stick to the Foley/Edge script and get disappointed when they take things in another direction.

I encourage people to not get too caught up in this feud (assuming it progresses) and just enjoy the ride for what it is or else you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I see both positives and negatives about this potential match. On the plus side, as people have mentioned, this could push Ziggler to that next level in WWE. Foley is still popular and respected and he has a track record of pushing guys to the next level. I'm sure if this does happen Ziggler will get the win and ride the momentum for the rest of the year hopefully establishing himself as a main event guy.

On the minus side, as GSB has pointed out, this would be another part time guy taking someone else's deserved spot on the big show. Of course guys like Rock, Taker, and Foley are proven draws, but what about today's superstars? How are we supposed to accept them as the stars if we continue to rely on past talent when it comes time for the big show? Randy Savage didn't need to bring back Pedro Morales to get over. Bret Hart didn't need to dust off Ernie Ladd. Those guys got over against the top talents of their same generation. That's what should be done now. Besides, is a win against Mick Foley in 2012 really that impressive? He is over ten years past his prime.

If the match does happen I'm sure it will be heavily promoted and deliver an entertaining angle. If Foley can give us a good angle and Ziggler can capitalize on it I suppose it will be a success. I'm sure it will be fun. I just wish new stars could be created without having to rely on old stars coming back.

I agree in principal Brain, I think the issue is one of timing, Ziggler doesn't have a face equivalent to feud with and get both over at once, to go that route he'd have to work Cody Rhodes.

I think the biggest thing with a Foley feud would be about giving Ziggler someone who he can get mic time with and develop in that area, as a feud with Foley is likely to be more angle and promo based than physical week after week.

In his latest interview Mick said he wouldn't have a match until after Mania, but he's now in the Rumble and I think he's almost certain to work a match at Mania. However Dolph may find himself shoved in the revived MITB and Foley may end up wrestling Ace for the GM role, but I hope not.

Ok there has been a lot of rumours on a Mick Foley match against Ziggler...
Myself I feel I have seen this done before.
Foley has had marquee WM hardcore matches with Randy and Edge which ended up being a career defining match for both superstars.
However I don't want to see this old formula done again, as it will be much of the same thing (if this match was going to happen I guarantee it would involve Ziggler at some point being a pin cushion full of tacks but winning the match)

I think the perfect way to make Ziggler a serious and credible power within the roster is by giving him a match with Triple H.

Ziggler Vs Triple H - Hardcore Match

These two would work an incredible match.
And win or lose, as long as it is a fierce match, Ziggler will now become a lot more credible.
I think putting Trips against Ziggler is infinitely more exciting than Trips VS Taker. Let Taker have Randy, Kane, Punk, Jericho, Foley...etc etc.

As far as storyline goes...I guess it could be a power angle storyling, with Ziggler representing John L. There is also possiblity of getting a combination of Vince, Steph and Shane (I'm not sure what he is up to), after all it is Wrestlemania.

What are your thoughts on this?

Seems like a real possibility to me that he'll be in the MITB match and win it.

It gives him a way into the main event at any time they wish this year and he would of course be spectacular in the match itself.

I can't see Ziggler vs Trips happening, they have no beef, unless you go back to the Spirit Squad days.

The logical step is to have Ziggler win the Money in the Bank match. Creative keep dipping their toes in the water with Ziggy and the main event, and he can put on a decent match, it's just a case of whether or not he'd be a draw, and I don't think he's in that upper echelon just yet. Winning Money in the Bank would be a suitable stepping stone for his career.

A great swerve would be if he became the first person to win the briefcase at Mania to cash it in on the same night in the main event, but there's more chance of me going to Mars than that happening.

A sort of think it will be more of a push for Ziggler to be in a WM feud with Trips than actually win the MITB.

I am a bit cold off MITB... seen too many wrestlers walking about with the briefcase.

And I think Ziggler going tooth and nail with Trips...would earn him is main event stripes and make him feel like he deserves to be in the main event in a much bigger way than if he had to carry around the briefcase for a few months.

I think someone else on the roster would need the briefcase a lot more.

Ziggler has had two PPV title shots and one on Raw, winning MITB used to more about guys who hadn't gotten a shot grabbing an opportunity.

Dolph is wasted in a spotfest in my view and would be much better with a proper singles match to showcase his talents.

Oh I definitely dig this the most. I love Ziggles, and I also love what Mick Foley can do to heels just waiting to become main-eventers. What I mean by that is he has a proven track record of making established guys. Look at the list...

The Rock
Triple H
Randy Orton
Edge
Taker - Didn't need the help, but KOTR 98 begs to differ
Kane - Taker was his main feud, but his feud with Mankind was the better and got him more over.

Pretty solid list there if you ask me, and adding a name like Dolph Ziggler has me excited for that mans future. Here's to hoping it happens.

I see one of two things happening with Ziggler at WM, both of which have been mentioned in this thread. The most likely option and the one I actually see happening is Ziggler being a participant in the MITB match and likely the favorite to win it. I'm with JGlass in the sense that Ziggler is on the verge of being a main event guy, but he isn't quite there yet and relies on vets to make him look better. I'm not saying Ziggler can't develop into a main event star, because I believe he can. He just isn't there yet. Would a MITB win help that? Possibly, but that seems to be taking the easy way to get Ziggler a title.

The other possibility is the match against Foley. I for one would love to see it happen, no matter how far past his prime is Mick Foley. Foley is still a popular name in wrestling and a win over Mick Foley is a nice thing to have on your resume. It would get Ziggler some heat for beating up one of the WWE fans favorite legends. They could then try and ease Ziggler away from Vickie and let her focus on rebuilding Jack Swagger.

In the end I see Ziggler being lost in the shuffle that is the MITB and while he may be the favorite to win, I think he will come up on the short end as they slowly build Ziggler up and he is my "way to early to even make a prediction" pick to win the 2013 Royal Rumble.

O jesus we've got the "he's too old, it's time to let someone else shine" bullshit.

Think about this, you will get more eyes watching this ONE show than ever before (or at least this year). So, how do you make Ziggler look like a star? Keep in mind, a large part of the audience isn't your regular fan, but extremely casual fans. Do you A) put Ziggler in "A FIVE STARZ MATCH ZOMG FAP FAP TO MOOOOVEZ!!!!" or do you B) put Ziggler in a match against a guy EVERYONE knows and let Foley pour his heart and soul into the match to sell his ass off and make Ziggle look like a big star, again, against a guy EVERYONE knows? Hmmmm are we smart marks? Or just idiots pretending to be smart?

for all the reasons already listed, Ziggler vs Foley would be a cracker of a match. Foley got Rock, HHH, Orton and Edge all over, and even made Flair relevant again in 2006.

Ziggler can only be elevated in this fued if it happens, and Foley will always be a legend in true WWE fans eyes, so a loss will not diminish him in the slightest.

Should Foley not get into shape and the match not happen, Ziggler is ano brainer to win MITB at mania, and every chance of cashing in the same night. I see MASSIVE things for Ziggler in 2012, thks could happen as early as April 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back