Wrestlemania 27 - Edge (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio - World Heavyweight Championship

Really hope the go the Triple threat route with Christian. Man, these two young kids from Toronto growing up dreaming of being apart of the WWE and now possibly going to mainevent Wrestlemania together in the same match. Christian would make the dynamic of the match more intriguing. I would like Christian to win. Edge hinted at a Toronto show that he would not have much more visits to Toronto left in him and that he would love to retire here if Mania came back there. It made me think next year's Mania could be in Toronto. If that was the case I would love Del Rio to win. And for Edge to build up a feud with Christian and if Edge lost he would retire. Christian wins, Edge retires they hug awesome Mania moment. However I'm hearing Mania next year will be in Miami. I would love Christian to win but I think this year has Del Rio written all over it and WWE has a way of screwing the Captain of Charisma over.

I dont know about this one. This is a tough one to call. But assuming Cena wins the title at mania, which he prolly will, you can say two things. 1. There not going to have two faces win the titles, and 2. there not going to have both titles switch hands. Idk yet its tough to say and very unpredictable imo.

I'm lukewarm about this match. Edge still puts on great matches no matter what anyone says, so I have no worries about him holding his own in this. Del Rio I'm not too sure about. Sure, you can say that he is skilled and has charisma, blah blah blah, but we're talking about a World title match at Wrestlemania. These kind of high profile matches are about more than just skill; they're about experience. I don't care how many matches you've wrestled in your carreer, Wrestlemania is still Wrestlemania. The pressure that is put on someone to perform in a main event match (although I can almost guarantee that this won't be on last) is pretty ridiculous.

With that said, I think if Del Rio is able to get over the pressure that he has on him in this match, than this should be a solid match. Most likely fairly forgettable, but with HHH/Undertaker and Cena/Miz (not to mention The Rock) on the show, I think this match will serve its place well and won't dissappoint. I'm over my initial resentment of Del Rio winning the Rumble, so if he manages to pull a win here (which would honestly surprise the living fuck out of me) than I'm cool with it.

Edge (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian,
Triple Threat Match-World Heavyweight Championship
would be 5x better

Edge can retain the WHC at EC and Del Rio runs in with the post-match asault. Then Christian could return to make the save and get his revenge on Del Rio. Christian and Edge could taunt for the crowd then Christian turn heel and hit a Killswitch on Edge with a cold, emotionless stare (like HBK and Hogan in 05).

This match would be a far bigger draw, Del Rio and Christian could renew their feud, and we can get some form of Edge/Christian.

this looks like the case. the feud will now have more thrown into the fire but you have one of the hottest young up and comers through the ranks into the main event picture, they made del rio win the rumble, winning a wm main event could make a short and very effective push for del rio into a ppv headliner.

christian can't turn heel on a sidenote, i enjoyed his music playing with him running down the ramp. i wouldn't like him to be a heel. i could see a future edge heel turn very soon

After Del Rio's insane dare devil stunts at TLC, I'm pretty positive he and Edge will try to pull off a shocker. Will this match attract a lot of people? Definitely not. Does it have the makings of being a show stealer? Definitely.

This match, as it stands, does nothing for me. Edge hasn't had a great match in..a long time. I haven't had the opportunity to see Del Rio work a big-time match with a man bigger than Rey Mysterio, so that's a mystery to me.

They still have time to build this feud, but I'm afraid they will go the Jericho/Edge route. Each week, one of them comes out, cuts a promo. "I'm better than he is." Later than night, one of them hits his finisher, making a statement, or even worse, sending a message. Same story repeats until Mania.

This why I hope Christian becomes involved. I never, ever root for triple threat World title matches at Mania. Never. But this time, I think it's needed. As I said earlier, I can't remember the last time Edge had an above-average match, and I'm not all that confident in Del Rio to carry him. Christian can take the pressure off, with a triple threat always dividing up the talent. Would make for a more entertaining match, and I think the feud could use some variety.

I have no clue what they have planned for Christian, if anything at all. But I sure as hell hope he's added.

I think, that out of all the matches that will be on display, this is the match that is the least up-for-grabs!

Both Edge and Alberto Del Rio have been on somewhat of a roll since appearing on Smackdown and you have to admit that this is the biggest match that Smackdown could give us without using The Undertaker. My reasoning behind this one is quite logical really. With the draft being sometime after WrestleMania for sure, you have to think that Alberto Del Rio is on the move to Raw. Not only has he been the most exciting thing in the WWE out with The Rock's return, he has the tools to make it work. All of that tells me that Edge is going to be the one to go over in the Championship match as they wont move the World Heavyweight Championship off of Smackdown and I am sure that they are keen to get Del Rio onto Raw.

It would have made sense if they were going to move the WWE Championship from Raw to Smackdown but of course that would mean moving either John Cena or The Miz over too, neither of which will be near Smackdown in the near future. So, it comes down to having Del Rio being free of a belt to move to Raw.

How can I be so sure that he is going to Raw? Well, he has been on it most weeks anyway. If you don't think that he is going to end up there in the draft, then you must be blind.

Nevertheless, I think that both of these guys are very competitive and I think that it will be a cracker of a match between them. I fully expect Edge to go over and stay on Smackdown but you can never tell with the WWE. They seem to be high on Del Rio and that can never hurt going into WrestleMania. I'd like Del Rio to get his first World Championship at WrestleMania but I think Edge is the favourite here, just because of the scenario it would pose if Del Rio went over.

Anyway that Christian and Ziggler get added to this match?

Christian made the save at EC, I doubt that was fro nothing, and he wasn't on Smackdown this past week where maybe he could've had a match with ADR to end it.

Also, Ziggler wasn't on SD and I doubt he won't be at Mania.

I've already stated I don't want a Triple Threat match involving Christian, but a Fatat 4 Way with Christian and Ziggler could be very interesting. I kind of see this happening because as I said, Christian didn't make that save for nothing and the former World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler (huh?) has to do something right?

Thoughts?

This is probably the hardest match to predict. Edge boasts a 5-3(i think) record on the big stage, while Alberto Del Rio is making his Wrestlemania debut. Faces don't tap out, they either get to the ropes, reverse, or pass out. I don't see Edge tapping to the flying armbar. Whether it's his destiny or not, I see Edge walking away with this one

WILDCARD:
Could we see a Christian heel turn in or after this match???

The worst thing they could possibly do to this match would be to add Christian. Or anyone else. Not only does it dilute the honor of winning the Royal Rumble and getting to pick your opponent, it's also just a terrible idea. Christian has nothing against Edge, so why toss him into this? If he wants revenge on Del Rio, he can take it out in the weeks leading up to and following WM. He can also try and interfere in the match. But just because he doesn't like Del Rio is no reason for him to suddenly get into the Smackdown main event.

An obvious Del Rio win here. The guy has been pushed as hard as Lesnar {well, not that much, but certainly moreso than Shaemus who won the title out of the blue}.

I don't see where they will go after Mania if Edge wins. Sure, Alberto might get his re-match at Backlash {do they still call it Backlash? Hard to keep up with these PPV name changes :shrug: }; but him winning at Backlash would be not as climatic as a man who has been built up in over a few months destroying Rey Rey, winning the Royal Rumble, now headlining WM27 for his respective show.

If you haven't noticed, the guy rocks up on every show in a new luxury car every week; and he's really playing up this whole "destiny" thing. Why would Vince and Don Caras Jr. put so much time and effort into the Alberto Del Rio character for him not to win the title at the big one?

A star {although not in my eyes - personally he bores me} is on the rise, and will culminate at Wrestlemania.

I love Alberto Del Rio, but I just don't see him winning the big golden one at Mania. He completely deserves it, he also has prove it, he is over as heel, good wrestler (Iknow he is great but WW can't let him be great), very talented talker (specially whne he starts to insult people on spanish, I enjoy it very much),and ouzes charisma. Being that said, since Edge is face and it is his 4 world championshios match at Mania, I can see WWE giving the win here as a "thank you" or something like that. AFTER Mania, I can see Alberto winning this one.

Obviously this one isn't a showstopper, but I think it is going to be interesting to see what these two can do. I have faith in these two ;)

This match, as it stands, does nothing for me. Edge hasn't had a great match in..a long time. I haven't had the opportunity to see Del Rio work a big-time match with a man bigger than Rey Mysterio, so that's a mystery to me.

They still have time to build this feud, but I'm afraid they will go the Jericho/Edge route. Each week, one of them comes out, cuts a promo. "I'm better than he is." Later than night, one of them hits his finisher, making a statement, or even worse, sending a message. Same story repeats until Mania.

This why I hope Christian becomes involved. I never, ever root for triple threat World title matches at Mania. Never. But this time, I think it's needed. As I said earlier, I can't remember the last time Edge had an above-average match, and I'm not all that confident in Del Rio to carry him. Christian can take the pressure off, with a triple threat always dividing up the talent. Would make for a more entertaining match, and I think the feud could use some variety.

I have no clue what they have planned for Christian, if anything at all. But I sure as hell hope he's added.

Edge was in one of the best matches of the year so far when he faced Kane in a Last Man Standing match. Still is one of the best and most intense matches I've seen this year. Not sure if this one will top it though but yeah Edge has had a great match in recent times.

First Post!

I think the EC ending with Rey and Edge was superb...

I could see ADR going to RAW, but I think they may use this draft in order to shift guys like Ziggler/McIntyre/Sheamus/DiBiase..etc..

Also, adding a 3rd performer to the match gives it credibility for the long run. You can give ADR a HUGE push with winning the Heavyweight title but also keep Edge fresh with ADR defeating Christian. That would set up a nice angle with Edge and Christian.

So I was just thinking Edge hasnt had any luck going into Wrestlemania as of late. Ever since Wrestlemania 23,24 edge has been spiraling down in a losing streak at Mania. If you dont want to count WM 23 thats fine because it was a MITB match that featured about 7 or 8 other guys, but in WM 24 he lost to The Undertaker with the WHC on the line and that was edge's first real Wrestlemania loss as he was on a winning streak just like taker was. He lost to John Cena in a triple threat at WM25 with the World Title on the line again which was his second WM loss and last year he lost to Jericho once again with the WHC on the line. Once again for the fourth Straight year Edge will be in a Worlds Title match and he'll be defending. Could this mean Del Rio is going to become Worlds Champ and Edge is going to continue his fourth straight loss in a WM match? I dont know but anything is possible and I would like to know what you people think

Does it matter?
Triple H has lost most of his WM title matches and only won a few many other top names have lost more mania matches than they won. It was funny initially Edge was also on a winning streak like Taker but they cut it at 5 wins.

I thinks it speaks volumes for him that he is willing to drop the title to someone else on the grandest stage of them all specially a new face to the company and it won't do any harm to his character losing.

and yes i do think Del Rio is set to win, though they could pull a swift one but they've been pushing him pretty heavily to be tough.

Doesn't make much of a difference, everybody can't be the Taker you know? Just look at a guy like the rock, if I'm not mistaken, he's only won two of his Mania matches, his first one, witch was against the freakin' Sultan ( Rikishi in disguise) and the 3rd Stone Cold match. and Edge is probably at the point where he is going to start putting guys over for the future.

Doesn't make much of a difference, everybody can't be the Taker you know? Just look at a guy like the rock, if I'm not mistaken, he's only won two of his Mania matches, his first one, witch was against the freakin' Sultan ( Rikishi in disguise) and the 3rd Stone Cold match. and Edge is probably at the point where he is going to start putting guys over for the future.

Rock beat Hogan as well.... Going into the match with Hogan, Rock had lost his last 2 or 3 Mania matches that's why I knew he would win against Hogan.

In saying that I think Edge may therefore get the win at Mnaia this year as it is his time to do so....

...but with Del Rio feuding with Christian, which is sort of setting up a his first contender I'm also leaning towards a Del Rio win...

This one is one of the hardest matches to pick a winner IMO this year...

The Rock beat Hogan at WM 18 in Toronto. Perhaps the winner/loser of that match didn't matter as much as the crowd involvment, but Rock did get the pinfall.

As for Edge, he's at that point in his career where it's about giving back. Which means putting people over. Edge has subtly hinted at retirement as of late and he's doing what most guys do at this stage which is help the development of the younger talent.

WrestleMania streaks only mean something if your called the Undertaker.
No one else would come near so why build someone up to say 6-0 or 8-0? absolutely it looks nice but in the grand scheme of things say Edge never lost at Mania (he's only been pinned/submitted twice, Cena pinned Show to win at 25) say Edge never lost at Mania thou, imagine people saying Edge/Undertaker both share undefeated streaks.

Really just being in one of the Main Events at the show means more than the win/loss, the ONLY wrestler who gets ANYTHING out of winning at mania is the Undertaker, no one else, but in fairness look at people like HHH, HBK, Austin, Rock who beat them at Mania was the who's who, no shame in jobbing, it's not like they were pimped out, and Edge dropping the belt to Del Rio is a good thing, because it opens up the door for the rematch, involve Christian and then Christian/Rio world title feud, look at the bigger picture, Edge is on par with HHH, he's over (heel or face) he doesn't need the belt, and he's admitted lately he's retiring so him putting over the near breed shows his personal character and love for the business.

im hoping that edge breaks this losing streak. i dont want to see del rio as champ, isnt it bad enough to suffer with miz as champ? but have a low rate wrestler like del rio as world champ? way to kill the WHC. as for edge, many big names lose as WM every so often, edges's losing streak at mania is just another thing happening, he is still one of the biggest stars in the company so really does it matter?

Like many have said, Edge is at the point of giving out to the younger talent and it wouldn't really kill him to lose at Mania for four times really. Like said before, nobody can be the Taker. Most big names lose anyways and besidse, with the young talent rising, Edge will put over Del Rio majorly.

@iwinulose: It wouldn't really kill the WHC to have Del Rio as champ. He is one of the fast rising stars and he won the Rumble to prove that and he is a good wrestler anyways. He isn't really low rate in most people's eyes but oh well. Just saying.

I think edge does need to break his losing streak, but del rio won the rumble. It was a huge shock to everyone and I think they'll have del rio win for the shock factor and have him feud with Christian I'd really like to see that happen

I think Del Rio will win. Maybe Christian will cost Edge the title and start a big Edge/Christian feud while Del Rio goes on to feud with someone else. This is way down the line but maybe Morrison gets drafted to SD! and feuds with Del Rio for the title? Anyway I think this would also mean that Miz loses. I could be wrong but I doubt that Mania has ever had two heels win the main events.

I really hope he doesn't lose. ADR just doesn't do it for me and I certainly don't think he's ready to carry the brand with the World Title. The only way I can be ok with it is if he ultimately loses the title to Christian at some point.

I actually considered this the other day. Edge has accomplished everything there is to do at Wrestlemania other than winning the World Championship match. While this does kind of blow, this could actually be a good setup for a future Wrestlemania. Think of it kind of like the Cena/Batista program from last year, only instead of focusing on Cena's inability to beat Batista, they put the focus on Edge's inability to win at Wrestlemania. It could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back