• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WM 29: Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. Jack Swagger [World Heavyweight Championship]

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
20130218_WM30_Match_Del_Rio_Swagger_HOMEPAGE_EP_LIGHT.jpg

WWE.com said:
The champion that fights for the people will go head-to-head with a challenger hell-bent on fixing everything about them that is “broken.” For at WrestleMania 29 on April 7, the self-professed “Real American” Jack Swagger challenges World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio for glory, honor and the top title.

Jack Swagger earned his right to headline The Show of Shows in excruciating fashion, emerging victorious in a brutal World Heavyweight Championship No. 1 Contender’s Elimination Chamber Match at the pay-per-view of the same name, surviving a contest featuring five other former World Champions.

The ultra-aggressive competitor — who returned to SmackDown in early February after a long absence — has embarked on a relentless quest to “correct” all that is wrong with a “broken nation,” creating in its place the improved “Swagger’s America” for “We the people!”

Sided by outspoken compatriot Zeb Colter and armed with an extremely effective arsenal, the crown jewel being the Patriot Act ankle lock, Swagger is certainly capable of breaking quite a bit to rebuild WWE with his own brand of patriotism.

But to reach the top of the mountain once again, the former World Heavyweight Champion will have to go through Alberto Del Rio. In recent months, the reigning titleholder has captured the hearts of the WWE Universe. After toppling Big Show to claim the World Heavyweight Title in the first of two explosive Last Man Standing Matches — his third World Championship overall — the Mexican champion has lifted the fans on his shoulders.

While Del Rio has earned the endearment of the people, however, that in no way means that he has become all flash and no substance. Instead, the skilled competitor is more dangerous than ever, armed with his dreaded Cross Armbreaker and skull-rattling kicks capable of putting anyone out at a moment’s notice. And with his personal ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez in tow, overcoming the World Heavyweight Champion on The Grandest Stage of Them All will be no easy task.

Well this is, uh, yeah. If at the start of the year you had told me that this match was going on at WrestleMania for the World Heavyweight Championship I would've laughed...a lot. However, in some sort of perverse way, both men have actually stumbled onto that thing called personality and as such they square off in front of a packed crowd for one of wrestling's grandest prizes at the premiere event in wrestling. Truly a bizarre turn-around. I'm not sure what to expect from these two. Obviously they'll play up the tensions between the Nationalist in Swagger and the Mexican People's Champ in Del Rio, but how far will they push the envelope? Are we veering close to the edge on this one? And in saying that, what will the match be like? Plus, who wins? I'm not sure what the answer is to any of those questions, but this is going to be one interesting build.

So, what does everyone else think?

This is a refreshing fued and could be a match of the nigth candidate. Both are great workers!!!

Although I think we could see a swerve before WM29. Del Rio could drop the title, Ziggler could cash in his briefcase or Swagger could lose his shot. Probably the latter if anything.

Wonder where this leaves Orton and Sheamus.

It's not a Mania caliber match, but hey, it's different.

Two of the most underrated wrestlers in the company, I'm all for this match. Del Rio is making a surprisingly decent babyface and it looks like Sawgger will have real steam with the direction they're going with him.

I still think this match will get changed though.

This is going to be a great match. And like I said in another thread, good for WWE creative for giving us something unpredictable after the Royal Rumble was exactly the opposite all the way through.

I'm really ok with this even though I wanted to see Dolph and Jericho for the World Title. Del Rio deserves to walk in as champ with the way he's gone over as a face and he also (as much as I like Ziggler) deserves to walk OUT still the champ. However, if Dolph does cash in after the match, it will set up a nice feud for the next 2-3 ppv's.

The best part of all of this is that it means Big Show has no loophole to make himself part of the World Title match now. If Ziggler had cashed in last night after a DQ or C.O. ending like I was expecting. I was almost certain we'd see a Fatal 4-Way between Ziggler, ADR, Big Show and Jericho.

The only problem with this is that Swagger was just jobbing to Santino a few months back before his hiatus. They should've brought him back to main event status gradually. It doesn't feel natural, but like I said this is will still be a great match now that Big Show's officially out of the picture.

Like Y 2 Jake said, I can still see this getting changed. All it would take is for Ziggler to cash in and ADR using his rematch clause at Mania. Just that easy, it'd be a triple threat.

As of this moment, the entire fly-by-night push of Jack Swagger is the most ridiculous thing since Daniel Bryan's Money in the Bank win. But look at how that turned out.

Wrestlemania is the most storyline-driven event of the year where they dedicate the most time to pushing their matches. As of right now, the WWE has almost two full months to make Swagger into a REAL competitor for the title. With Zeb Coulter spearheading the effort and as an extremely strong mouthpiece for Swagger, I think the audience will be intrigued by the match come April 7th.

Remember, the majority of the WWE Universe is... well... stupid and they have the memory spans of a goldfish. Seven weeks from now they'll completely forget that Swagger jobbed out for almost a year and a half straight before leaving for 6-8 months and making this comeback with a character revamp.

I have a feeling we'll give at least a little bit of a shit about this match by the time the event comes around.

Character-wise, Swagger makes the most sense to be the one facing off against Del Rio. Which is why I'm kind of pissed at myself for not taking Swagger the least bit seriously to win the chamber match. Again though, for him to be losing to the likes of Santino and then come back as the exact same guy and the fans are expected to take him seriously? Come on. It has the potential to be the match of the night however, so I'm not complaining. I think the outcome of this one though is as predictable as Rock/Cena. If Swagger walks out WHC, I will shit a solid gold brick.

I'm happy to see new talents at Wrestlemania and this will be a great match but just a little question... AM I the only who find it very similar to Eddie Guerrero vs Kurt Angle ? And that's makes me very sad to think that because if I watch the match with that opinion in my head, I will not enjoy it :banghead:

I think the match has come too soon, both guys are barely over and Swagger is in a testing phase with his new character. Plus an angle built around racism seems an odd choice for WWE at their most mainstream orientated PPV.

Personally I hope someone is added to this match before Mania, maybe a couple of people, just to add in some guys that are actually over and can cut a decent promo.

I'm happy to see new talents at Wrestlemania and this will be a great match but just a little question... AM I the only who find it very similar to Eddie Guerrero vs Kurt Angle ? And that's makes me very sad to think that because if I watch the match with that opinion in my head, I will not enjoy it :banghead:

It reminds me more of the JBL/Eddie Guerrero feud. But yeah, I see where you're coming from.

I've got high hopes for this feud. It has some serious potential, but let's hope they're not afraid to push the envelope and make some very entertaining TV. A feud like this around early, mid 2000s would be cool because it'd really go to the next level. But in this age, they're going to have tread lightly as to not offend anybody.

I have near 0% faith in this match happening. I just can't see them putting Del Rio vs. Swagger as a major match in a Wrestlemania in the NYC market. We're heard they want to push Del Rio, so there's that, but with Swagger, we have a guy who's basically an upper level jobber, was never really popular, had a failed title run, and just returned out of nowhere. I just can't see this being an option.

There's been a trend at some Wrestlemania's where one year the WWE Title was retained and the World Title changed hands then the next year vice versa, and it continued on in that pattern. Last year the WWE Title was retained and the World Title changed hands, so as everyone else I fully expect the WWE Title to change hands this year and the World Title to be retained. Also I've just realized that it's 20 years since Wrestlemania 9 where Yokozuna took the WWF Title off of Bret Hart then Hulk Hogan beat Yoko for the belt right after, could we see see history repeat itself 20 years later with Del Rio retaining then Ziggler cashing-in on him and winning the title? Dolph has held off this long on cashing-in, so they may aswell make him the first man ever to cash-in at Mania, it would make his title win doubley special or maybe triple special actually cause he'd sorta be repeating history, making new history by being the first to cash-in at Mania, and he'd have won the title. Anyway I don't care if people consider this a Wrestlemania caliber match or not, or it goes on first or not, fact is it's going to happen no matter what anyone thinks, and I expect a tremendous technical match between the two, with Swagger wearing down Del Rio and his ankle before he takes the loss, for the Zig-Zag man to cash-in and take the belt from the weakened Mexican.

Prediction

Del Rio retains the World Heavyweight Championship
Ziggler cashes-in MiTB right after and wins the World Heavyweight Championship

It reminds me more of the JBL/Eddie Guerrero feud. But yeah, I see where you're coming from.

I've got high hopes for this feud. It has some serious potential, but let's hope they're not afraid to push the envelope and make some very entertaining TV. A feud like this around early, mid 2000s would be cool because it'd really go to the next level. But in this age, they're going to have tread lightly as to not offend anybody.

I found about JBL at first but it will turn more like Kurt Angle I think with the fact that Alberto isn't a real champion and everything

And yeah, that feud is the one who probably get the bigger potential. Now, we have to wait until what the WWE will do about it but the potential is huge, it could be one of the greatest feud of the decade ( I count since 2010, not 2003 ) and I think that this feud could be a test to see how the media and the crowd will react to something more " on the edge ". It's PG, I don't think it's a worst racism than Green Lantern :rolleyes:

It is definitely a refreshing feud, and if things stay as they are I think they will keep Swagger's push going and give him the win. I think the match will be changed though. Another strong possibility is Ziggler cashing in. I could see him doing it at Mania creating himself a Mania moment in being the first to cash in at Mania and taking the title. I wouldn't mind at all though if the match just stayed Del Rio vs Swagger.

I feel like this feud could be good. With Del Rio getting a semi large ovation at the moment and the heat that Swagger is drawing thanks to Zeb, this is refreshing. I'm hoping that WWE get risque with this. Also with the obvious involvement of Ziggler this keeps us guessing how that match will actually end up come Wrestlemania time.

I do have a dream thoug. I'm very wishful in something along the lines of this happening, although I know the chances are slim to none.

Del Rio and Swagger feud coming up to Wrestlemania and it's brilliant on the mic, and after all of Del Rios grueling matches Ziggler keeps attempting to cash in but is stopped one way or another. Come Wrestlemania time, Swagger and Del Rio have a great match and Swagger gets the upper hand, applies the Ankle Lock (sorry the Patriot Act) and just as it looks like Del Rio is about to tap Big E comes flying in and breaks it up causing a DQ. after the bell rings he throws Swagger out of the ring and keeps him occupied, Ziggler comes running in and cashes in to win. Stealing the show along with stealing Swaggers win.

This could lead to a feud over a couple of PPVs and some entertaining television.

but like i said. this is my wish for the match, but not a realistic opinion.

Not quite a Mania world title match but I can cope with it. We have had worse but there has been a lot better.

Swagger will not win. Simply because of Ziggler. For me, if he cashes in before now and Mania they won't let him have such a short title reign. If he cashes in on Mania than it won't be on Swagger. If it is after it has to be before the June PPV so I doubt Swagger would get that little time and both are heel so it wouldn't work.

That is why Del Rio wins but looses the belt to Ziggler almost immediately. It will be a solid match. About 10 minutes of Swagger/Del Rio will be good - as well as the Ricardo/Zeb dynamic which will be really invested in and should have some comedy value. This won't steal the show ;) but it will be a good match and won't leave anyone disappointed.

IMO (for whats its worth)

I cant see Swagger going into this match.

Im thinking somehow, someone is gonna bait him to putting his WM shot on the line (ala Punk with Cena) and he'el lose.

Did you see the look Randy Orton had on his face when Swagger rolled him up just after the elimination before, there aint no way the writers aint gonna do something about that.

And you have everyone else in that chamber match along with Big Show who's gonna bitch about it & Christian might be coming back before WM and he'el obviously sprout his "One More Match" bullshit.

The WHC match aint set in stone yet & they didnt advertise it like they did for the WWE title match, just after Rock won.

I don't think there aregoing to change and I don't want it to be change. I love the fact that Jack Swagger get a push, a wrestler made in WWE. Now that he have a manager, I'm sure he is going to be great

I love Swagger's new character/angle so if WWE is going with this, then I have to give them props for having confidence in not only Swagger and Zeb Coulter but also ADR. Swagger's new character and angle is starting to get over in the mainstream media with news articles and airplay on Fox News. It could lead to some buys for WM for this angle alone, which is what they want.

With all that said, I'm very surprised WWE doesn't want Orton, or Sheamus, or Jericho in this match. I guess it is true and they really don't think much of Orton anymore.

Also, the more I think about this, the more I think this whole thing is about Dolph Ziggler. He is going to cash in MITB to win the title, culminating his push and the build up of his character. They want him to be "the guy" when it's all said and done, not Orton or Sheamus. That could be why they are having ADR vs. Swagger, so Ziggler is who everyone is talking about. Even if ADR retains and then say Coulter comes in and hits him with the chair or something after it's over, allowing Ziggler to cash in MITB, Swagger and ADR can still feud, without the belt as a distraction.

Finally, is WWE finally admitting that the World Title is a "lesser" title than the WWE title, with this match? I'm not saying ADR and Swagger suck but come on. Swagger was out of WWE until a couple of weeks ago, now he's main eventing WM for the World Title?

It's not a Mania caliber match, but hey, it's different.

I guess the correct wording is Mania World Title Caliber match because it's not at least in a way it should be traditionally; I think this fits more as a US Title Match due to the symbolism. Regardless I think this feud could get interesting and I can expect a good match between the two.

My prediction is Del Rio Retains .... Ziggler cashes in Money in the Bank .... but is already booked to face Jericho so that becomes a WHC Match later on at WM.

Well, with the news reports of Jack Swagger being arrested for "traffic violations" after Tuesday Night's Smackdown tapings, there are a couple of ways I see this going:

1) Jack Swagger, good luck in all your future endeavors. You stupid idiot, you just ruined a great angle and a chance to headline Wrestlemania.

2) Even if it's true, he's punished behind closed doors and they work the "arrests" into the storyline. The cop was Mexican, or foreign or whatever (kayfabe) and that just furthers his and Coulter's points about immigrants and America.

Where does this leave the world title match and if they're going to take Swagger off TV, how do they quickly kill the storyline and bring about a new one? Only angle I see is to have Ziggler cash in MITB on RAW and win the belt this Monday and then sort it out from there. Have Ziggler vs. ADR vs. Jericho or something for the World title.

If the story is true, Swagger really screwed himself.

UPDATE: I just saw that Swagger was pulled over for allegedly speeding and the police believed he was driving under the influence. They then searched the vehicle and found marijuana.

BYE BYE JACK SWAGGER. YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT! I really, really hope they keep Zeb Coulter.

wee likes to open PPVs with the world title. this isn't a bad first match.
With 6 raws and smackdowns i expect this match can change a lot.
swagger is getting a real push. if he can't sell it. ziggler is the backup. if swagger/cpulter get stale, ziggler cashes in and ADR demands a rematch at wrestlemania. triple threat match!
i do think ziggler will attempt to cash in at wrestlemania and STEAL THE SHOW!

I really can't see Swagger getting on the Mania card now. If he is lucky he will re-appear in the summer but they simply cannot have him on the biggest night of the year. A "real" shame if you ask me.

They certainly have options. It will be interesting to see how they get Swagger of TV. Option 1 is to have another number-one contender match. Henry,Orton,Kane,Bryan,Big Show- they have the stars to do so.

Option 2 is having a multi-man match at Mania. Someone suggested a 6-man ladder match. It would be different AND get people excited about the WHC as well as being a great match.

3- Ziggler cashes in. ADR gets his rematch. Easiest option and the best in my opinion.

There is no way we are seeing ADR v Swagger at WM29.

It seems that unfortunately not even a DUI or getting busted with weed can prevet this awful angle from going ahead.

In the ring I'm sure it will be ok but Swagger is a charisma vacuum and I desperately hope someone is added to help lift the mic work side of this as Del Rio is a very mediocre promo cutter.

As I said to my friend last night while chatting about this, Swagger is no Kurt Angle, and he isn't even on Kurt Angles level when he was a rookie in WWE. Swagger just isn't that good yet. On the mid hes BAD, he still botches too much in the ring, or over sells at the wrong time, and he still isn't a good wrestler / in ring performer. He has a few good moves, a good ankle lock, besides that he doesn't deserve to be on the card.

And I still cant get past the fact that Swagger jobbed the entire year of 2012, losing to guys like Santino week after week.

I know a lot are thinking this will be a good match, but I highly doubt that as I said above I don't think hes that good. I can see this being another 18 second match maybe. And with Cole saying "Ziggler has until July to cash in MITB" I really don't see Ziggler cashing in at WM, hence another reason for this being a short match, but maybe this is a short match and then Ziggler does a straight up challenge, I dunno.

I do agree with what was said above. But since Swagger isn't getting pulled from the match, I would book this into a ladder match or give it some gimmick, unless of course the short match route does go down, I just don't see these guys having that 5 star match even if they did have 25 minutes to put on a show.

I think while this match seems interesting on paper, it needs some star power for Mania. I can see Dolph Ziggler cashing in his contract before the match to make it a triple threat. When he does cash in remains to be seen, but it would be an interesting twist if a heel cashed in before the match and won (which I suspect would happen, especially with interference from AJ and Big E.)

This match will have a lot of interference given that both Ricardo and Zeb would be at ringside too.

A fast paced exciting clusterfuck.

Perfect to open a show, sadly (for the WHC)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back