• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you like to see an individual become tag team champion(s)?

mojmass

Feed Me More
Tag team matches are always interesting due to team work and beautiful combined moves.
but what if vince mcmahon go crazy (which some people think he is right now) and allow individuals like ryback compete for the tag titles.
so would you like to see an individual wrestler like ryback or brock lesnar and so many others that i can't name them all win the tag team titles ?

TNA did this a while back and I thought it was pretty stupid at the time. Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle both took turns holding the tag titles solo for a little bit. I'm not sure if either of them even defended the title(s) in a legit tag match but they were basically just used for a clusterfuck all or nothing match. The only time I think it would really work is if one half of a team went down with an injury while they were the reigning champions and the partner that was left decided to or was forced to defend the titles on his own.

I think it completely defeats the purpose of the tag team division. Would it not stand to reason that it would bury the tag division if you had one person beat them?

I will point out that the tag division is seeing some good action at the moment. I wouldn't want to ruin that by having half the teams job to one man.

Just My Opinion

I think Matt Morgan did it in TNA as well.

I seem to remember Austin having the belts on his own for a little while in 97 as well. SOmethign to do with Shawn and Dude Love stepping in maybe?

The idea of Hell No doing it was bad enough, but they made it work... If anything they should eliminate any handicap matches or singles competitors from the tag team ranks like in the 80's. You knew the Bees, Rockers, Harts, Demos and LOD were units, if they wrestled singles matches it was as part of a tag feud. Mid 80's you only really had Sheik and Volkoff and Strike Force who were "put together" from singles competitors. 2 teams in about 3-4 years. These days it's 3 a year minimum, often with the same guy (Kofi I'm looking at you!)

No. As others have pointed out, having one person hold the tag team titles for any period of time basically defeats the notion of the TAG TEAM in the first place. All it does is reduce the titles to the level of props. While they are technically props, in this instance, they're outright treated like props that have no meaning.

Someone else pointed out that TNA did this a few times and there was just no real sense to it. There are a hundred ways to get someone over without taking a title, whether its tag team or singles, and treating it badly.

The WWE is doing good work with its tag team division and with Team Hell No as champions. They've got momentum on their side and things continue to improve. Why toss a monkey wrench into things with a worthless idea?

Through many years of watching pro wrestling, I've never liked handicap matches.....and this idea by the OP is an extension of that one. In the 80's, a superstar taking on two jobbers never amounted to an interesting match, largely because we knew in advance the only reason the contest was being staged was to prove the indestructibility of the guy who was alone. The two opponents rarely got in any offense; forget the idea of them winning the stupid match.

In the 90's and later, handicap matches at least looked slightly more believable because the two guys were allowed to create some problems for the one. Yeah, they still always lost, but at least we were treated to some of what really happens when two people gang up on one.

With Ryback, of course, the pendulum swung back to what we used to see in the 80's. He'd fight two wimps on loan from an independent federation and clothesline 'em to death until the inevitable, back-breaking finish. The spectacle grew tiresome very quickly, didn't it?

So, the idea of handicap matches becoming a staple of the tag team division, with individuals competing against a single guy, doesn't sound appealing. Aside from someone like Ryback, who does it with sheer power; the idea of a John Cena or CM Punk outwitting and out-speeding two opponents might be fun for a match or two, but WWE wants it's product to look realistic, right? Having the single guy continually emerging victorious would mess with that policy.....big time. Having him hold the tag team title would be downright offensive.

This idea is pretty lame IMHO. Especially in the WWE where there are already four singles titles, struggling to grasp relevance with the fans. Seeing Ryback hold the titles is a surefire way to get me to change the channel.

I don't think this would make any sense. Just when wwe is trying to revamp the tag division, they need to just stick to what they are doing. Having someone like ryback compete for the tag titles alone would just shove him down our throats even more. The whole point of the tag titles is so that people can work as a team, not so there can be a 2 on 1 match. Ryback can still work handicap matches against teams, but I would never want to see him compete for the tag titles alone.

I think so, but the individual should eventually share the belts with someone. Like if two other guys have a feud for the right to be the Single Tag Champion's tag team partner, or if another guy saves the Tag Champion from a two on one attack, and the Champion offers the guy one of his belts as a token of gratitude.

TNA did this a while back and I thought it was pretty stupid at the time. Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle both took turns holding the tag titles solo for a little bit. I'm not sure if either of them even defended the title(s) in a legit tag match but they were basically just used for a clusterfuck all or nothing match. The only time I think it would really work is if one half of a team went down with an injury while they were the reigning champions and the partner that was left decided to or was forced to defend the titles on his own.
^This. Also didn't Kane contend for both tag team titles once before? As well as winning that TLC match by himself & walking out with both tag team titles.

I think the idea can be interesting if used properly but like already stated in others posts, it pretty much defeats the point of the TAG TEAM division, TAG TEAM championship belts, & ofcourse a TAG TEAM match . It has little to no longevity & unless a beast like Ryback was defending the titles regularly, defeating viable opponents, & keeping the division/storyline interesting, it would flop quickly IMO.

To be honest, if they continue to build up Team Hell No and conclude the story with Kane vs. Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania to finally determine who truly is "The Tag-Team Champions", I'd probably love it. Yes, you could point out how having a singles match for your Tag Titles at WrestleMania kind of undermines the idea of rebuilding the Tag-Team division, but I don't care. This is a case where a singles match for the Tag Titles would make perfect sense storyline-wise, and it would be fucking awesome.

Absolutely not. The entire purpose of the TAG TEAM division is for two or more wrestlers to win the giant pennies together. AS A TEAM. It's bad enough that the division is still basically on life support, combined with the fact that the days of "real" tag teams are all but behind us, and how strange the giant pennies look when they are meant to be prestigious championship belts. Having one wrestler win a title meant for a team would only further make things look bad, and this is the case regardless of which tier of the card the wrestler who wins the belts came from.

This is a lose/lose situation. There is no way that WWE could possibly make it look good if only one wrestler held the Tag Team Championship. It could be a jobber, a midcarder, a main eventer, or even a legend like Undertaker. No matter who it is, this makes the division look terrible. The giant pennies need to be held by a TEAM. The whole "I am the tag team champions" bit between Bryan and Kane is funny, but if one guy actually did become "the tag team champions" by himself it would not only be stupid but would do a lot of damage to the credibility of the belts or the division. I hope it never happens.

I like the giant pennies. They look cool. I don't see what's so bad about them.

Yeah, the Tag Team Championship should belong to a Tag Team, meaning two wrestlers. It's supposed to be the standard bearer for a pair of wrestlers who are over as a tandem, as opposed to on their own.

it's been done b4 and it is an insult to the division IMO. there's a reason it's called Tag Division and not singles guy winning two titles division.

I'm a big fan of these types of scenarios. Not necessarily when one guy holds the belts for a long time; that tends to diminish the division and make all the other tag teams look like crap. But for instance, Kenny King left ROH for TNA earlier this year. And Rhett Titus then had to find another tag team partner. Shelton Benjamin was suspended, so he and Charlie Haas hooked up temporarily. And the stipulation was that if they won the belts, Rhett would find a new partner and those two teams would have an undisputed title match. They didn't end up winning, but it's those kind of situations that bring a lot of interest to the division.

I'd like to see one guy win the belts and turn on his partner. He can then spend a month with every available singles star (or perhaps tag star if they want to upset some other teams) vying for a spot as his partner.

Absolutely not. First of all it cheapens the championship. Second, how does it look when a single person over comes the odds against 2 in a regular handicap match that has zero titles involved? It makes the singles star look powerful while severely diminishing the tag team he beat.

It's makes as much sense as having a man win a womens championship. Harvey Wippleman.

Or having two people co-hold the formerly prestigious Intercontinental Championship. Chris Jericho & Chyna.

Now, with that being said, say that team Hell No are heels and still WWE Tag Team Champions and Ryback wants the tag team titles. He challenges for a 1 on 2 match for the titles and he loses. Now THAT I could see. they could be like "oh well Ryback was just taught that tag team wrestling is an art form and has decided to find a tag partner." Hell even thats stupid.

Not really. Who at this point are going to beat D. Bryan and KANE. You’re telling me that they are revamping the tag division and are working to make it better and it is by the way. They do all that just to throw it all way just to have one person to squash the whole division. I'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back