The Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament

Who Will Win the Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament???

• The British Bulldgos

• Edge and Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
worldtag.jpg

Much Thanx to Slyfox for setting this Webpage up. Follow this link to keep up to date on teams revield for the tournament. Give Slyfox some green rep.
Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament Brackets

Well it's here. The Ultimate Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament is coming. The Champions will be decided the night before Summerslam this year, but that means we can't begin the hype up now.

So how I did the tag teams. We have a field of 128 tag teams in this tournament. It was tough to narrow it down, but ultimatly, I think the field looks pretty strong. There are a good amount of strong teams, and some really bad teams put in as feeders for the top teams.

A person can only be on one team, so I know this will create controversy right away. A lot of guys were very successful on multiple teams, but I picked the one that I felt best represented tag teams, not the popular choice. So to let the cat out of the bag, Shawn Michaels is a Rocker, not a DeGenerate, so deal with it.

How I ranked the teams: Teams are ranked on several criteria. The first, is number of tag team title reigns between the individuals, not neccessarily together. The # of titles an individual acrues shows that that person is capable of performing many times as a unit instead of an individual. Criteria 2, # of days that the group held the championship together. This shows how well the team worked together, and a longevity factor as well.

The titles used: It's a shame that I couldn't use more Japanese and Mexican teams, but I have a feeling that they will get lost in the shuffle. The one downfall witth the Wrestlezone Tournament was I felt many wrestlers that were underexposed by the WWE currently failed to make an impression on younger viewers, and thus, people that didn't deserve to move further along in my opinion advanced, due to a lack of knowledge to younger fans. The titles I used were the WWE World and WWE tag team championships, the WCW tag team championships, ECW tag team championships, ROH tag team championships, WCCW tag team championships, and I took liberty iwth the many world titles of the NWA tag team championships. It got very confusing, but I narrowed it down.

As far as the specific lay out of the tournament, I still have time to figure out if we'll do gimmick matches in the middle rounds. Gone will be the round that the higher seed chooses matches, because it caused a lot of commotion in the first tournament. I will still have the four region layouts. WCW with the raised entrance, WWE with a basic ring, ECW with extreme rules, and TNA in a six sided ring.

The idea of these tournaments is to help spread knowledge that I feel a lot of the younger posters need to know when talking about wrestling. They create debate on a hypothetical matches that we know can't happen in real life. This is not going to be a flaming board or a spamming board. I plan on announcing several teams a day leading up to the tournament, to let people do research on those teams before the tournament starts. I will start this process within a day or two.

So I hope we have fun with this bad boy, the first was great and got a huge response.

WCW Region:
#1: The Minnesota Wrecking Crew; Gene and Ole Anderson

WWE Region:
#1. The Steiner Brothers, Rick and Scott Steiner

ECW Region:
#1. The Dudley Boyz/Team 3D, Bubba Ray and Devon Dudley

TNA Region:
#1. Demolition, Ax and Smash

Welcome back! Look forward to it, of course if you remember my posts I'm a naitch fan, so it'll be interesting who or (if) I hope not you put him with. Take care and we'll be posting.

Fuckin' SWEET. This original Wrestlezone Tournament was the first thread I really got into, this should be just as great.

I can't even explain how excited I am for this Shocky, I'm sure it'll be just as awesome as the other one if not more so. :D

It's baaaaaaaaackkkk :)

Damnit Shock, why are you teasing us like this!!!

lol

Seriously this should be fun.. The tournament was the first thread I was really into as well, and it's where Wrestlezone evolution first formed. So I look forward to seeing how this one goes!

Posted by The Shockmaster:
This is not going to be a flaming board or a spamming board.

xfear, take note! LOL

But seriously, this is gonna be a great tournament. Hell, before the original WZ tournament, i don't think i even had 10 posts, now i'm beginning to chase the big 1-double-0. No doubt i'll get it here. Gonna sit back and enjoy this one, Shocky, thanks for making the effort once again!

I think that the last four will be the Hardyz/Dudleyz (don't think both will make it), The Rockers, LOD and possibly Edge and Christian

I'm just trying to get used to that spoiler code as i think it's a good idea. Hey, maybe i could post spoilers on the LWF and give people he choice to read it or not...

Hey, this is my first tourny, but already it sounds great! Hope to see some fun stuff going down!

(wow... I feel so lame... THATs the best I could say...)

So lets be realistic, tag team wrestling this decade has been a joke. Thanx in large part to the WWE just slapping two guys together to carry belts, they've done little to help improve the situation. With that being said, I put the Old in Old school in this tournament and bring back some classic teams. The reason I am introducing them this way, is so people can do some research and not vote blindly simply because they don't know a tag team.

And now I give you, the #1 overall seed of the tournament

andersons_matt03.jpg

The Minnesota Wrecking Crew: Ole and Gene Anderson​

Overall Seed: #1
Regional Seed: WCW #1

With a total of 19 tag team championships between the two, the Andersons dominated the tag team scene throughout the 1970's. To many older fans, older then me, they are tag team wrestling. With 9 title reigns together, and Ole had one with Arn, it was simple to go with this pair over the more recognized Arn and Ole tandum. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio, and a ton of people mention the Minnesota Wrecking Crew. They have left a mark on an older generation of fans, and myself included. When you break the #'s down, take the subjectivity out, there hasn't been a more dominating tag team ever.

My Predictions: This team has all it takes to beat anyone that comes in front of them. They are old school brawler/grapplers that if they get you in their hands, you will be hurting. If they run into a high speed team or a team of overwhelming Size, they could be in trouble. I can see them going very far in a perfect world, but I think their lack of modern exposure has them leaving by the end of the 3rd round.

The Steiner Brothers: Rick and Scott​

Overall: Seed #2
Region: WWE #1

With a total of eleven World title reigns as a tag team in North America and Japan, The Steiner Brothers come in as the # 2 team. As a team, they are 6 time WCW Tag team champions, 1 time NWA world tag team champions, 2 time WWE tag team champions, and 2 time IWGP ttag team champions.

My Predictions: The Steiners are a perfect combination of size, strength, speed and stamina. They can get into brawls with teams bigger then them, and Scott can hit high flying moves on crusierweights. I see this team as being the favorite to win this tournament. They are a hard matchup for any team they play.

dudleyboyzdvondudleybuhbuhraydudley.jpg

The Dudley Boyz/Team 3D: Bubba Ray and Devon Dudley​

Overall: #3
Region: ECW #1

There has never been a team that has held more gold collectively then the Dudley Boyz. 20 Tag team championship reigns as a team, they nearly double the next closest teams. The Dudleys are 8 time ECW tag team champions, 8 time WWE world tag team champions, 1 time WWE tag team champions, 1 time WCW tag team champions (WWE owned), 1 Time NWA tag team champions, and the first TNA tag team champions. The Dudleyz maybe the most dominate tag team of the last 15 years, and easily the best tag team in the history of ECW.

My Predictions: The Dudleys are prolific tag team champions, but obviously with 20 reigns it shows that they are a beatable tag team. Many people will argue they are the beneficiary of the time period they competed in. The Dudleys draw the ECW region, which feeds right into their style. They maybe a hard team to knock off with those rules.

Demolition.jpg

Demolition: Ax and Smash​

Overall: #4
Region: TNA #1

Demolition was the WWE's answer to the Road Warriors popularity of the 80's. The imitation factor of Demolition had most teams beat before they hit the ring. Black leather with spikes and face paint was their impact on the industry. They are 3 time WWE tag team champions. While they don't impress with # of title reigns, Demolition leaves their mark on having very lengthy title reigns in a time when tag team wrestling meant something. Demolition is the current holder of longest title reign with 478 days.

My Prediction: My personal favorite tag team ever. I feel Demolition has never gotten the respect they deserve. They get a tough draw in a high flying region such as what TNA will provide with the six sided ring. They can beat teams with giants such as the Colossal Connection, and beat high flyers like the Rockers. Depending on matchups, Demolition should go pretty far.

First off great job on the #1 overall seed, when you first mentioned this I said to put Ole with Gene and AA with Tully. I hope the fans do the research like you asked or watch the horsemen DVD and watch the six man match where they worked over first the arm and then leg. Classic tag team wrestling.
Second off while I agree Demiliton was overlooked, I think the Road Warriors should have been there instead. If they don't meet before the finals I see it coming down to Road Warriors vs Steiners in the final. My hope would be it comes down to Andersons vs Road Warriors but I'm with you too many people have never heard of them. Can't wait for the rest.
One last thing I hope we see the Rockers vs Rock-n-Roll express.

We'll continue with the next three teams in. Now i'm going in semi-alphabetical order. Tarp, the thing with the Road Warriors is, they are very popular, but they never had very lengthy title reigns, so for the standards of this tournament, they didn't make it into the top 4. That's why demoltion is in, if you add up their days as champions, it's some ridiculous amount like 400+days more as champions, thanx in part to Demolitions 400+ day reign as champion.

171px-Punkcabana.jpg
The 2nd City Saints, CM Punk and Colt Cabana​

Overall: 62nd Seed
Region: TNA 16th Seed

What, a Ring of Honor team, what is wrong with you shocky? Forget that, this is a damn good tag team, and with Colt Cabana signing with the WWE, you may actually see him get some exposure that CM Punk has. They are two time ROH tag team champions.

Predicitions: Tough to decide. If they win their first round matchup, then they most likely will have a date with Demolition, no easy task for an under exposed tag team. A six sided ring will work in their favor, but i can't see them making it past the 2nd round.

promopic1.jpg

3 Count: Gregory Helms and Shannon Moore​

Overall: 114th Seed
Region: WWE Region, Seed 29

Much like WWE had John Cena as the answer to Eminem, 3 count was WCW's answer to the popularity of boy bands, yes, boy bands. 3 Count originally consisted of Helms, Moore, and the gone and forgotten Evan Karagias. While 3 Count never held tag team titles as a unit, they were co-champions of the WCW hardcore title.

Predictions: Helms has two tag title regins to his credit, and has proven to be a lethal force int he cruiserweight, Moore on the other hand, is just weird. They will work well together since they have known each other for many years,, but my opinion, they are probably a feeder team.

tna_tag_team_3.jpg

3 Live Kru: Konnan and Ron Killings

Overall: 75th Seed
Region: WWE 19th seed

It was tough for me to pick Konnan and Killings, but in the end, it's the reasonable choice. James is obviously in another tag team, and I could have put Konnan wiht some other guys, but they were with other people. Konnan is the power of the two, whereas K-Kwik, is insanely quick and a former World Champion.

My Prediction: Very popular tag team, but hopefully this isn't a popularity contest. I think they are a tough draw, and being in the midrange, they can draw a team very similar to them. I can see them going into round 2, but depending on matchups, it could be a very short tourny.

If anyone can find any better pictures for tag teams, let me know and send me a link.

Holy Shit Shocky, I completely forgot about 3 Count. I remember watching that when I was like fifteen years old and just wanting to beat the shit out of both of those guys myself. rofl, they used to sing man! What the FUCK was WCW thinking?!

On that note, I don't care my favorite for this tourny are the New Age Outlaws. Maybe not the most talented team, but IMO the all around best.

Likely winners however will probably be Road Warriors.

Shocky, great job with the seeding. I love that you included Punk & Cabana- ROH deserves some representation. Unless you plan to included RVD & Sabu as a team, then I'm going with the Dudley's all the way. I'm disappointed they weren't the #1 seed, but, honestly I think you got it right.

Can't wait for this thing to kick off!

wow this is looking great, really looking forward to this.

Awesome choice on the seedings, and a brilliant choice in having just one person represented. HBK is a rocker not a degenerate.

Annd shall I say again...great job!

im glad to see ole and gene anderson the #1 seed. they are both really tough. ole once in a match threw gene head first into his opponents head just to win.

Shockey, I knew your reasoning for Demilition over the Road Warriors was a good one. I still go with the Road Warriors or Steiners with the win. The suspense of rather Flair is in this thing is getting to me.

I loved the last tourney even though I didn't verbally participate. This one is looking to be great as well. Shockmaster thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm looking forward to being more active in this incarnation.

07.jpg

3 Minute Warning: Rosey and Jamal

Overall: 116th Seed
Region: ECW 30th seed

Before one was the S.H.I.T. and the other a 2006 version of Kamala, we actually had an entertaining tag team in the WWE by the name of 3 Minute Warning. They were Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff's personel enforcers. They get their name from often destroying opponents in less then 3 Minutes.

My Predictions: They are a low seed, but a very dangerous Low Seed. Jamal is the only one with a tag team title reign, but 3 Minute Warning was more about destroying guys then winning matchups. They have enough speed to match overwhelming size. In a short match, they are very dangerous.

01.jpg

AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels

Overall: 49th seed
Region: WCW 13th Seed

Together, they are 2 time NWA world tag team champions, with multiple reigns on the side with other partners. Prax has destroyed his computer with the thought of a TNA tag team breaking the top 50.

My Predictions: A Very tough draw for a higher seeded team in the second round. Styles and Daniels are going to hit big guys with an array of moves that will leave them standing in their roided up boots. If the TNA Fanboys come out, this team can go very far.

11.jpg

The Acolytes/APA: Bradshaw and Farooq

Overall: 63rd Seed.
Region: WWE Region, 16th Seed

Two former World Heavyweight Champions comprise of this bad ass team. Before they were saved by the Jackyl, The Acolytes as individuals were floating around endlessly in the WWE lower card. Together they became 3 time WWE tag team champions.

My Predictions: These guys are Vince McMahon's personel ass kickers. They were sent to the ring to hurt guys acting up in the locker room. While they may not have many title reigns, they did the job asked of them. They are two legit bad motherfuckers, and they stare straight at the Steiner Brothers in the 2nd round.

01.jpg

The American Males: Buff Bagwell and Scotty Riggs

Overall: 94th Seed
Regions: ECW 24th Seed

The man that once busted his Calf Implant, yes Calf Implant, teams up with the man that spent the later half of his career wearing an eye patch. The tag team that had maybe the worst entrance music ever has made it, thanks to part of Bagwell's many tag team championships wtih other partners.

My Prediction: Being in ECW and both being very soft, these guys don't stand a chance. Bagwell maybe one of the ten most over rated wrestlers of the first half of this decade, whereas Riggs hasn't accomplished any fame, except for havign the same name as a NASCAR driver.

amw.jpg
America's Most Wanted: James Storm and Chris Harris​

Overall: 6th Seed
Region: ECW 2nd Seed

America's Most Wanted, the holders of the longest NWA title reign in the last 30 years. This team, is simply put, the best tag team of the last decade. They are 6 time NWA tag team champions, beating every team that has been put in front of them.

My Prediction: AMW is the best tag team of the last 5 years easily. They have gone through many tag teams in TNA, and I think they have the potential of going very far. They have to go through the Dudley Boyz with ECW rules to move into the final four.

02.jpg

Bad Breed: Ian and Axl Rotten

Overall: 120th Seed
Region: TNA 31st Seed

The Bad Breed is an ultra violet tag team originating in ECW. They are better known for their feud with each other that culminated in the infamous Taipei Deathmatch.

My Predictions: In the TNA region, if they meet a team with speed, they are done. The Bad Breed accomplished nearly nothing together, except beating each other up. They are a first round and out team.

07.jpg

The Basham Brothers: The Dimaja and Doug Basham

Overall: 54th Seed
Region: ECW 14th Seed

The Bashams, while In WWE, were the strong arms of JBL's Cabinet. They are 2 time WWE tag team champions.

My Predictions: The Bashams are a team that really hasn't made a big impact yet in the wrestling business. They have enough ability to do well, but I can't see them going very far in this tournament.

01.jpg

Big Bad and Dangerous: Big Van Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow

Overall: 70th Seed
Region: ECW 18th Seed

Uh oh. A long time ago in a land of New Japan Wrestling, there was a monstorous tag team formed with a young Vader and Bigelow. Both went on to win world heavyweight championships as singles competitors.

My Prediction: Damn, two huge monsters that revolutionized Big Man wrestling. Both of these guys aren't afraid to go off the top rope. They are a lower seed, and if i'm in a tip seed, I don't want to see this team. Add all of that, and the Extreme Rules, this is going to be a tough team to knock out.

Holy shit that team of Vader and Bam Bam looks amazing...why have I never heard of them?

And I've gotta ask man...how the hell could the Bashams get #54? I've yet to be impressed with the guys---their lackluster at best IMO.

And while I'm a huge AMW fan, I think giving them the #6 seed is a bit pushing it there, I mean there are definately six other tag teams greater then them.

But overall, as usual, great picks and great job Shocky. Any idea when the actual voting process will begin?

Ah, but I'm taking the subjectivity out of it, and giving you raw numbers. Between the two members of AMW, they have 14 tag team reigns as individuals. The big kicker is, they have held the titles as a team 6 teams together for a combined 518 days. Tag teams usually hold the titles for the most, 4 months for a good reign. These guys held it for one reign close to 300 days, that bumps the numbers up.

As for the Bashams being 54, ya, I'm ugh about that too. They have two reigns for 150 days total, so tha tbumps them up. It also speaks volumes about how bad some tag teams were that held the belts too.

im surprised to see aj styles and christopher daniels seeded ahead of the APA. but when i looked at the numbers i was shocked to see the APA only had 4 title reigns between them which isnt too bad but they never held them for long. im wondering if the team of Play Boy Buddy Rose & Pretty Boy Doug Somers will be included.

So far the Tag teams have been good, But can you put a bracket thing up where you are announcing them and edit it accordingly when it comes in so we can work out proper predictions? It would look cool similar to what you did with the original tournament, but have the list of seeds and region with the seeds that have already been done filled in. I think the second one is clearer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back