• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

William Reagal's lack of a World Title

punk is gold

Occasional Pre-Show
I was just wondering if any one else finds it to be a shame that Reagal was never given the Title at some point in his career.He's been the European,Intercontinental,and a tag champion in his career,as well as the 2008 King of the Ring.He has good mic skills,he's damn good in the ring,he has gotten great heat with the fans when given the chance (especially as the Raw g.m.) he has a unique look,awesome accent,and can be pretty funny when he wants to be but now all he ever does is some random comedy bit or job and I think it's a damn shame and it's pretty evident it's too late for the World Title at this stage of his career,but does anyone else agree with me about this subject or am I alone in thinking like this?

Wasnt he suppossed to get one when he won the King of the Ring While he was Raw GM?(Someone answer this for me please) but if Im right the reason he didnt get one was due to a suspension from Drugs so that kinda killed any hope there but yes I agree I think he should of had one But so should Christian in WWE(Sorry had to CHRISTIAN DESREVES IT)

He's been too stuck in the midcard for too long that giving him a title now would seem a little bit too late. After all Regal is now in his mid 40s. I will admit though, he's still a hell of a wrestler and if you wanted to train to be a wrestler he'd be the right guy to get you ready. But he just couldn't reach World Title status no matter how hard he tried at this stage of his career.

I think the best time for him to get a World Title should've been around the time he was regularly punching people with brass knuckles (like during that time when he punched out Big Show and Big Show in his knocked out state fell on top of him, pinning him and giving Big Show the win). For him to win a World Title that way would have given him massive, massive heat.

I like Regal, and loved the way he could make you hate him. That being said, I don't think he would have ever been given a World Title, and of course he didn't get one. Right now it's way too late in his career to suddenly elevate him to the main event, unless he actually stated he should be given a world title shot because of how long he's been in the company, and I think he could put on a great match with whoever the champion would be at that moment. But knowing the WWE, that probably won't happen and he'll end up his career int he mid card, which is a shame because he has a lot of talent both in the ring and on the mic.

Lots of talent but just made bad mistakes along the way that always seems to send him two-steps backward. Obviously it's a shame from his stand-point and that of his fans but company-wide I doubt their are many who feel like it was a mistake to never give him the belt. The people who did get the belt by and large probably did an as good, if not superior job, when they had the title so there really was no point, or necessity, save for a bit of diversity.

I'm a Regal fan and would have loved to see a world title reign at some point in his career although it's too late for that now. However, as LigerBomb put it, he just made some very bad mistakes as such the one in which he violate the wellness policy right in the middle of his King of the Ring/GM mega-push in 2008. It would have been nice for him to get a Jericho-type transitional reign as I thought he would have been great as a heel champion, but in the end it might have been for the better if the other choices before him held the title.

Regal is one of the best technical wrestlers around and a lot of people know this. Remember Bryan Danielson had said he wanted William Regal as his pro not the Miz. That has to mean something lol :D

Facts:

- He's a great wrestler.
- He's great on the mic.
- He's good at making people dislike him.
- He's a King of the Ring winner.

Flip side of the "facts":

- That's never mattered for the WWE, and sadly he's never fully gotten over with the crowd.
- While that's outstanding, we've seen others who have amazing mic skills fall short of greatness, staying stuck in the land of the mid-card lost.
- True, he can make you hate him, he best proved that as the GM. However, the downside to that will come with this next point.
- He may of been a King of the Ring winner, but if you remember it correctly, his character pretty much handed himself the win. If by somehow he made himself a champion while being the GM of Raw, that would've been a "glorified charade" and while making him hated by pretty much anyone the fact remains is that he would've only held the title for possibly a month at most? Do you really think that Vince would've allowed -HIM- to be the champion AND GM at the same time? Then wouldn't people be complaining that his title run would be a joke?

I'd rather see the man never have a title and have a Hall of Fame career, minus his short comings with the violation of the drug policy. Rather than being a joke of a champion. Integrity, in my opinion is more important than a cheap title reign.

One question: how many people have paid money to see William Regal wrestle outside of England? The answer to that would be very few. Something that people need to learn is that not everyone is cut out to be a main event wrestler and there is NOTHING wrong with that at all. Regal fits this description perfectly. he's not a guy that is going to headline a major card, but as a midcard heel that can go and have good matches with just about anyone you put in the ring with him, he's very valuable. His mic work makes him valuable as a manager or authority figure as she's shown many times. Some guys simply do not belong in the main event, and he's one of them. That certainly doesn't mean he's not a good or even great wrestler, but he doesn't belong as a world champion.

it's a damn shame but he's a utility talent. I'm happy I was able to see him live a few times, it's a treat. Unless the fans make it impossible for the WWE to ignore I don't think he'll ever see a title on Raw. However, if Kane can be a champion on Smackdown, I feel there may be hope for regal to have a short reign if he is sent over there in the near future. I won't hold my breath though, I'm still waiting for Christian to at least have a title match. I sure hope we don't have the same problem with him getting into the HOF one day and I feel we will even though we have plenty of jobbers in there already.

We should take bets on who breaks the glass ceiling first.

Pretty much what KB said, he may be great but he obviously cant draw for shit outside of England and that is simply because he just isnt that interesting. Sure he may be very good in the ring and decent on the mic but there is nothing about him that would make me want to pay to see him and at the end of the day if you cant draw you wont get pushed and you wont get a title, simple as that.

I personally think it's a damn shame. William Regal, still at this age, is one of the best wrestlers in the world. Most would say that he is too old for a world title, and I disagree. There have been older World Champions. If he wrestled his age, I'd say it was impossible, but he doesn't. The man wrestles like he's 30. I don't think he'll get the title, because of how low he's fallen on the card, but he could be still be a credible World Champion in the ring.

i couldnt agree more with this topic. regal should geta serious shot if not a transitional title run. the closest he got was when he challenged hogan when he had the title last. even then that was turned into an embarrassment when a pre-match tea party? give me a break. he should get a nasty streak again and challenge under queenbury rules and end up screwing somebody out of the title. now imagine the heat he would draw if that were to happen to somebody like orton or another beloved face champ. you cant blame his past addictions for lack of a puch, cause eddie got one after he was suspended for the same thing and look where he ended up,at wrestlemania with the title. all hail lord steven(william)regal

One question: how many people have paid money to see William Regal wrestle outside of England? The answer to that would be very few. Something that people need to learn is that not everyone is cut out to be a main event wrestler and there is NOTHING wrong with that at all. Regal fits this description perfectly. he's not a guy that is going to headline a major card, but as a midcard heel that can go and have good matches with just about anyone you put in the ring with him, he's very valuable. His mic work makes him valuable as a manager or authority figure as she's shown many times. Some guys simply do not belong in the main event, and he's one of them. That certainly doesn't mean he's not a good or even great wrestler, but he doesn't belong as a world champion.

Agreed. Even though i'm a patriotic Englishman and proudly support all British wrestling talent currently vying to make it big in wrestling, i do not see Regal as anything more than upper-midcard at the very most. I don't think anyone can doubt that Regal has great mic skills and is very talented in the ring, but that doesn't mean he should be main-eventing or have the world title. I mentioned in another thread regarding Matt Morgan that having a certain role such as enforcer or in Regal's case, midcard heel, is not a bad thing. Regal's work in the midcard helped elevate Edge in '02, Eugene and Mr Kennedy in '08. It would appear that Regal's role is similar to what Jericho does in the main event; help the talent around you look better and learn quicker.

At 42 years of age, Regal really isn't too old. I also don't buy the notion that he cannot draw outside of England as I seem to remember him generating MAJOR heat not so long ago when he was Commissioner and when he was King Of The Ring.

Regal is technically brilliant, botches few moves and has a very unique style about him. I would like to see the World/WWE Championship around his waist because I do think he'd make a great champion. Regal is kind of an "old school" sort of wrestler....and I like him for that reason. He isn't about flashy gimmicks, rock star entrance music and fancy ring attire.

Perhaps he should have been drafted to Smackdown, where he could have feasibly gone for the top belt. There are too many main eventers on Raw, so it's not going to be the WWE Championship.

I couldn't agree more! Regal, as much as I don't 'like' him (because he's a heel). He's been around a long time and is a great old skool wrestler.

At 42 years of age, Regal really isn't too old. I also don't buy the notion that he cannot draw outside of England as I seem to remember him generating MAJOR heat not so long ago when he was Commissioner and when he was King Of The Ring.

Regal is technically brilliant, botches few moves and has a very unique style about him. I would like to see the World/WWE Championship around his waist because I do think he'd make a great champion. Regal is kind of an "old school" sort of wrestler....and I like him for that reason. He isn't about flashy gimmicks, rock star entrance music and fancy ring attire.

Perhaps he should have been drafted to Smackdown, where he could have feasibly gone for the top belt. There are too many main eventers on Raw, so it's not going to be the WWE Championship.

i totaly agrree 100 percent on this one, regal has paved ways in wcw and in wwe and has made a name for himself as a mojor heel, and also brought many wrestlers to be the ones they are now. and givin him the strap when he was knockin people out with knuks would of been awesome but now hes doin comic skits and not much more than that to me i think he would of been better as cham then people like punk and sheamus and maybe even edge because edge was really nothin more than a paper champ a couple of times just like hardy. and if you look at it there is a bunch of people that deserved it more than they got it. eddie guerrero, benoit, etc, and if you want to go into the mid card i think people like finlay, hardcore holly, and even chris masters should of had a run or two with the u.s or ic tittles but thats just my view.

He's too old now to give the title to at this point and he's never really been over enough to get the title. He does deserve it as he's a great wrestler but there's too many young guys that are great wrestlers and are more over that deserve to be champion. I feel Christian and Bryan Danielson should definitely be getting World title shots on their respective shows.

If he's too old, then I would argue, he's only too old to hold the title on RAW. That show has great storylines as well as some amazing young talent right now. However, I think he would be more than capable of carrying the strap on SD. Generally speaking, people agree that SD has the better technical wrestling matches, that would only serve Regal's purpose. Second, I don't think him being the champ on SD would bury as much young talent as it would on RAW, thus making more sense. Regal's been around long enough and done more than enough to earn one run at the end of his career. I wouldn't be able to fathom a run on RAW, but would rather enjoy one last go of it on SD.

Give Regal the WHC after Kane & Undertaker have their feud. I think a WHC is due to Regal because like so many others he has earned it. Yes he was suspended for what we'll call "issues" but that shouldn't remove him from the title picture. He can draw so much heat as a heel champion I find it a crying shame he hasn't held the gold yet. Hell I can see it now. He wins the WWE Title and goes on telling everyone "Finally a real technical wrestler carries the gold. Not a guy who can't tan, not a guy who acts like a character straight out of the movie jackass, not a guy named after a little pesky snake, not someone who plays games". Oooh that would be amazing. Watching HHH vs William Regal in a technical match. God if only... Most of the young kids in attendance wouldn't have the appreciation for a technical match but good God the old school fans that are still watching would eat it up! If WWE did it I'd consider that a present to the old school fan.

And from there you can go back to the Old School vs. New School idea.
Cena vs. Regal
Orton vs. Regal
HHH vs. Regal
Jericho vs. Regal
Edge vs. Regal
Miz vs. Regal (of course that would require a Miz face move)

Regal could even start his own stable.

There is so much creative CAN do with Regal its a damn shame they don't.

I mean hell when WWE goes over seas again have Cena carrying the strap and have Regal beat him in his home country. Have him play to the crowd and be the face out there then come back to America and have him act mega heel by saying stuff like " You know it's no wonder England wants nothing to do with this bloody country. Over there they have class. Out here all I see is a bunch of fat, out of shape pathetic Americans". That could set up a major Cena vs. Regal feud. That would help Cena maintain major face status because it would be like he's representing America. And in a match with Regal you can almost bet it'll be a 5 star match because Regal is like Jericho in a way. You can throw him a terrible wrestler and he'll treat the opponent like a high caliber match and put on a damn good show.

Wasnt JBL around 40 when he got his wwe championship win? Regal could be the number 1 heel in the wwe if used correctly and a championship run would cap that off. He would draw as champion simply cause people would be watching to see who beats him.

Regal is lucky to still have a job. Vince has kept him around because he is a good friend of Steve Austin. I don't dispute anything anyone has said about him, all of it is true. But Regal has proven himself unreliable. He has battled addictions for years. It is a shame, but it is true. Vince would no more put the world/WWE title on him than he would put it on Scott Hall.

Bill Lesnar finds Regal to be overated. Regals brawling style does not suit Bill Lesnar, neither does his past skin or general ugly look. Bill Lesnar actually thinks Regal belongs in coronation street

The closest William Regal ever got to a World Title, was when he had that maniacal run as GM of RAW a couple of years ago. He was on a real run, drawing excellent heat, won KOTR, it was almost certain and then woops drugs came into play and then he got suspended. He may be one of the most technically gifted wrestlers, but technicality only gets you so far.

Bill Lesnar finds Regal to be overated. Regals brawling style does not suit Bill Lesnar, neither does his past skin or general ugly look. Bill Lesnar actually thinks Regal belongs in coronation street

So Bill Lesnar. Regal's incredible technical ability doesn't work for you? His amazing ability to draw heat that others can't draw? Just the SIGHT of Regal coming out on stage makes people boo. Regal is finely tuned in submission wrestling as well. Regal is gold on the mic because he can insult fans without using above PG rating language. Regal is everything the WWE needs in a solid heel. Reliability in the ring. I can't recall Regal ever seriously injuring someone (although I may be wrong as I can't recall his entire Lord Steven Regal campaign in WCW etc etc). Not to mention Regal has done quite a bit behind the scenes: Training new talent/divas. Most veterans from what I've heard don't openly train with rookies as they feel it is "beneath them" and "that's what the trainers are there for" but Regal does it.

Oh and Bill Lesnar should control his ego a bit. This whole talking like the Rock thing is rather old and to be honest...slightly moronic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back