William Regal retiring?

Diet Soda

Mustang Sally <3
At the Smackdown house show in Manchester this weekend Lord Regal announced that after 27 years, the next year would be his last in the ring.

Now, we haven't seen Regal compete in the ring as often as he used to, but him saying that he has a year left suggests he may go for one more run.
Would you like to see Regal go for, say, a world title run? Be given a short reign with the World Heavyweight Championship as a sort of reward for all his years of hard work, much like Mark Henry did last year?
I think he deserves it; he's a massively underrated in-ring worker with a great story-telling ability.

Of course, he only said that he would be leaving the ring. His commentary on FCW and NXT is hilarious and I would love to see him calling the shots on one of the main shows one day.

What do you think?

Does William Regal deserve a championship run to go out on a high?

Would you like to see/hear more of him in commentary?

Who could he realistically feud with today? (A little obvious birdy tells me Wade Barrett)

I was at the Smackdown show in Belfast and have to say, the tag team with Tyson Kidd has potential. Kidd looked good and Regal did everything possible to help get him over. A run with the tag team gold and bowing out in a year or so after elevating guys like Kidd, Hunico, Camacho, The Uso's and Primo and Epico would be a great way for regal to leave.

I'd like to see Regal bow out with a tag team run. Him and Tyson Kidd are a mis-matched pair but I've heard good things so would be more than up for seeing this. I hope he stays on television after he retires from wrestling. What I'd personally love to see in a year or two is him being the mouthpiece of a British stable with Sheamus, Barrett and Mason Ryan. Possibly even as a GM role once they're bored of Mr. Excitement!

It's entirely possible that Regal could be given a World Title reign, and if done right, it could be great. However, I think Regal could be the one to take the IC title off Show and have a lengthy run with that. As for feuds, there's plenty for him go with, such as Orton, Sheamus, Big Show or Sin Cara or Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, Christian or Cody Rhodes if he were to be a face. Perhaps he could even feud with Booker T, feeling that he should be the SmackDown! color commentator, not Booker. He's always been a solid performer, I hope the WWE make the best of this last year of his.

That said, I hope he doesn't depart from the company entirely, he'd be great in any role, on-screen or off. Heck, I'd love to see him as the new SmackDown! GM or a commentator.

Does William Regal deserve a championship run to go out on a high?

Certainly not a World title run, though I would have loved to have to seen a world title run in him but not at this junture in his career.

Would you like to see/hear more of him in commentary?
He offers a different style to the booth which I enjoy maybe on SD.

Who could he realistically feud with today?

Anyone, it's not hard to start a feud out of nothing most feuds go that route.

I actually think a short reign would be in order with the World title, perhaps a way to get the title onto Wade Barrett? Have Regal shock someone like D. Bryan for the title only for Barrett to cash in MITB on him... A 30 second reign would be enough, and he could then put Barrett over big time in the rematch...

What I'd personally love to see in a year or two is him being the mouthpiece of a British stable with Sheamus, Barrett and Mason Ryan!

Sheamus is irish, not british, despite what WWE '12 has to say about it!! :banghead: Other than that its not a terrible idea!!

Regal is excellent on the mic, and would definetly work as a mouth piece for any heel out there, maybe even a face as a mentor role??

I dont see any title runs on the horizon though, sure he might win the tag belts, but i think we can all agree they dont mean anything right now!! What i would love is a short fued with Bryan, hes in the title picture right now, but who knows after a year!! Regal trained Bryan for a while (or so i keep reading) and they have a similar style that could blow punk/jericho out of the water!! Also Regal could go out face and do stuf like calling him sunshine and Danny boy!! Id enjoy it anyway and i think regal would rather go out as a great technical wrestler before he'd go with a novelty run with the belt!!

I'd love regal to carry on as commentator in the long run. His work on NXT as match booker is absolute gold, he's much better than any of the other commentators!! Put him and JR together, beautiful, though tats unlikely!! If he replaced Booker or King I'd be happy! King doesnt even say puppies any more, there is no use for him!!

Sheamus is from the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland is he not? That is not a British country anymore.

I would love to see Regal get an intercontinental or US championship before he retires.
He is awesome in the ring, and as far as I can see, a bit more of an influence on Daniel Bryan than Michaels is. As far as their similarities of inring work goes anyway.

I would like to see Regal go for a MidCard title and hold it for a few months in a Heel/Tweener Capacity. Plenty of Mic time would also not go a miss.
I believe that the matches he will put on with upcoming talent would really help both their skills and their carears in the long run.
2 big feuds, a few ALMOST squash-like matches and then the Big Face overcomes and takes the title from Regal.... #Retirement / Back to the commentators role.

It's a shame he had that wellness violation back when he was commissioner or whatever of RAW -- that was going to be the best commissioner run of all-time. Remember when he cut off a WWE Championship match and took the show off-air mid-match? And that was just the start.

Anyway, my guess is they aren't going to give Regal any kind of serious "last run." It's unfortunate, because he deserves it. It wouldn't even necessarily need to be a title run, but I think he's more than capable of filling out a top-of-the-card program.

William Regal is an amazing "wrestler", Him vs Chris Benoit on Velocity in 2005 was a better match than Rock vs Hogan, Rock vs Cena, or any John Cena match from Wrestlemania, nuff said, but all they ever did is push a non-athletic stupid rapper-wannabe phoney piece of crap like John Cena and Batista (from 2005-2010), whilst wrestlers like Regal, Benoit, Rob Van Dam never made it beyond the mid-card (excluding Benoit's 2004 reign). With reference to Benoit, despite what he did, He'll always be a better in-ring performer than muhfugging John Cena, overrated HHH(screw the HHH vs Taker mania match), Batista and Hulk fugging Hogan

I would love Regal to go out on a world title run. I think he deserves it if only a short reign like a week or so. Dont give him a 45 or a minute reign that wouldn't be right and be kinda spitting in regals face IMO. I think his time is close to retiring but a WHC or a lengthy IC title run would be a very nice reward for all his hard work

Regal deserves 1 last run on tv, and I think the tag team titles are a way to go. Have him come out on smackdown and plead for more exposure to be given to Tag team wrestling. Laurinitis comes out and tells regal that just like him, tag team wrestling is a thing of the past. Regal asks for 6 months to re establish the division and if he fails he leaves WWE for good. Johhny accepts. Regal trys putting tag teams togethers like himself and Kidd, Kassius Ohno and Antonio Cesaro, Xavier Woods and JTG. He also trys to reform tag teams such as Zack Ryer and Curt Hawkins, Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel, Goldust and Booker T (Both employed by the WWE). Add these to the already established teams Primo and Epico, Camacho and Hunico, The Uso's thats a total of 9 teams. They get 20 mins to showcase the Tag Division on Smackdown and 10 mins to Showcase on Raw. With the division established Regal retires on his own terms and Tag team wrestling becomes more prominent in the WWE.

Sheamus is irish, not british

Ireland's part of the British Isles, therefore part of Britain. Nice try.

However, I would like to see Regal be the mouthpiece of a British Stable, Barrett, Sheamus and Mason Ryan. I think it could be a great way for him to leave.

This man deserves a world title reign. I was hoping to atleast see him challenge his former student, Bryan Danielson. I love technical wrestling. Regal v. Danielson, or hell, Regal v. Punk would be incredible. Dude can still go in the ring.

I think it's too late for Regal to have a title run. I'd love to see it but realistically, I don't see it happening.
I really believe he should join the Raw announced team. If Smackdown has 3 commentators, Raw should too. He's good already but with Lawler training Regal, he could be one of the best.
I'd like to see Regal feud with Drew McIntyre. Gotta love England vs Scotland.

I think a World Title run would have been great when he was coming off his run a GM of Raw. He had a lot of heat then, and was really getting over as a heel. I believe he failed a drug test ruining that push if I am not mistaken. At this point in his career though I can't see a World Title run. I am not against it, but it just doesn't seem like it would happen. I would love to see him do some commentary as he would offer something different, and I think he would stick to straight up calling the matches. I am up for trying anyone new in the commentary position though as I feel that is an area that is lacking right now. I would love to see Regal feud with Barrett, or Sheamus to start things off, and I would also love to see some wrestling matches with Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. Talk about a wrestling clinic. I honestly think Regal has been vastly underutilized for the last few years, and I think they could have gotten a lot more out of him than they have. When he does retire I hope he at least gets a decent send off for all his time and contributions to the business.

Ireland's part of the British Isles, therefore part of Britain. Nice try.

The Republic of Ireland is, however, not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern and has not been since 1922, nor is it part of the British Commonwealth.

Consequently, people from the Republic of Ireland view themselves as Irish and not British; they have Irish passports, they use the Euro as their currency and not the Pound, they have their own political system and law-making bodies, and, perhaps the most symbolic, have nothing to do with the royal family.

'The British Isles' is merely a geographical term to describe the group of islands that inhabit that portion of the North Sea.

QED Sheamus is not British.

Nice try.

William Regal would make a good transition champion (A couple of months) to drop the title to Wade Barrett. If done right

At least an IC title reign should be in order

While I admit, Regal is an AMAZING wrestler, WWE will not put a belt on him sadly. He is not over with then fans. I wish they would put him in a decent storyline, even if it meant the IC title! But Regal will not be getting anything any time soon unfortunately.

Regal could have a great fued with Daniel Bryan, and it would be so easy to set up. Obviously, Regal trained Bryan, so that could work its way into the storyline, and it could be either the ungrateful student (a heel Bryan) vs the face veteran in Regal, trying to get just one title run to cap off his career, or a face Bryan vs the heel mentor in Regal, claiming that he'd be nothing without him so Regal deserves a title shot. It's so easy to set up and the match would be a technical masterpeice.

The only problem is, I could see the IWC loving this but the standard WWE crowd not really getting into it. These to wrestled each other at a house show I attended in Nottingham and while I was glued to it a lot of others seemed to treat it as a piss break. It's for that kind of reason that I couldn't really see Vince approving this, as great as I know it would be.

Wrestlers trained by Regal currently contracted to WWE: Triple H, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Chris Hero. Regal also trained Kendrick who is rumoured to be returning to the WWE. There is a lot of potential there to give Regal a good send off

I don't see him getting a World Title run but if he does then maybe the storyline can be that he is over the hill and washed up and could never be World Heavyweight Champion. Then eventually he gets a shot and wins then maybe holds onto it until the next PPV and loses the belt in his final match. I think he has earned a title shot for all he's done and being the great wrestler that he is. I wouldn't think of the title being put on him as just a thank you gift because I truly believe he has earned the right to wear it for a little while before he retires.

He's never been one of my favorites but I have always enjoyed seeing him on TV whether it was in the ring or backstage doing something. I think he will get a IC title reign instead to end his career. The belt has a rich history of great wrestlers winning that belt and we all know Regal is a great wrestler.

Before regal leaves, i think he should at least have a good send off with one last intercontinental championship reign. It doesnt have to be long, just for a month or two, but have big show drop it to a heel, then have regal win it and put over some new faces. They arent doing anything with the belt, so this would be a great way for regal to leave in a good way

William Regal is an amazing "wrestler", Him vs Chris Benoit on Velocity in 2005 was a better match than Rock vs Hogan, Rock vs Cena, or any John Cena match from Wrestlemania, nuff said, but all they ever did is push a non-athletic stupid rapper-wannabe phoney piece of crap like John Cena and Batista (from 2005-2010), whilst wrestlers like Regal, Benoit, Rob Van Dam never made it beyond the mid-card (excluding Benoit's 2004 reign). With reference to Benoit, despite what he did, He'll always be a better in-ring performer than muhfugging John Cena, overrated HHH(screw the HHH vs Taker mania match), Batista and Hulk fugging Hogan

Ok first off I will agree as I think everyone on here that William Regal is one of the best technical wrestlers to ever live. However to say that a match he had on a show that aired on Saturday night for a couple of years is better then any WrestleMania match that Cena has ever had is just crap. Rock vs Cena was a good match, granted it was not a technical as say a CM Punk vs Jericho but still a damn good match. Also I should not have to remind anybody how good Cena vs HBK at WrestleMania 23 was as well as the rematch on Raw the next night. So therefore your statement that this match from velocity is better than any Cena WrestleMania match is incorrect. Also to compare the match from velocity to the Undertaker vs HHH match is a joke. We are talking about a match that is being called the greatest WrestleMania match of all time verses a good match that happened on free tv there is no comparsion between the two. And on a final note Hulk Hogan is the man who helped make wrestling into what it is today. Chris Benoit was just a great wrestler who went off the deep end and killed his family then himself.

Now to answer the question posed by the OP, one last run for Regal with a championship would be very nice. He can help elevate young stars to that next level, whether he does it by helping Daniel Bryan to the WWE Championship or Wade Barrett to the WHC, or even a Tyson Kidd or Justin Gabriel to the IC or US Championship. As for what I want to see him do after retirement maybe an on air authority figure he was always good in his role as gm or maybe commentary, he has always been good on the mic. Truly I just hope he remains around the WWE in some form on or off screen.

As long as he has got another year in him he should get a reign with either the World Heavyweight Championship or the Wwe Championship, he has been in the wrestling industry 27 years and he has never held either of the major championships.

The way i see it he gets a match for the Wwe Championship in the main event of Survivor Series but loses the match, he then wins the Royal Rumble Match and goes on to headline and win the Wwe Championship at WrestleMania, he then enjoys a three-four month reign with the championship and loses it and after he loses it he announces he is going to retire because he has done what he always wanted to do hold the Wwe Championship, he then walks out of the ring and is never seen again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back