Will we ever see another women's wrestler win a men's title again?

Heartbreak_Kid_707

Championship Contender
This crossed my mind with the passing of chyner. She has been the only woman to win the IC title. Or any men's title. And even though I vote no, does anyone ever see a woman win th IC or US belt?? I don't know if we will ever see another genetically altered specimen like her again.

I hope not. I am not a fan of the mixed gender tag matches or any mixed gender wrestling but you never know. I'm a fan of men wrestling men and women wrestling women.

Jacqueline won the Cruiserweight title, an achievement once only held by men. It's not impossible to achieve, especially with the influx of good women wrestlers, just highly unlikely. I'm not against intergender matches as they should be equal if little guy vs big guy is though.

Not going to lie.This is me saying I want more Bayley. In the hands of a competent writer, it's very plausible to have it happen again in a few years' time.

Jacqueline won the Cruiserweight title, an achievement once only held by men. It's not impossible to achieve, especially with the influx of good women wrestlers, just highly unlikely. I'm not against intergender matches as they should be equal if little guy vs big guy is though.

Not going to lie.This is me saying I want more Bayley. In the hands of a competent writer, it's very plausible to have it happen again in a few years' time.

Madusa actually was the first woman to win the cruiserweight title, she held it for a short time in late '99 early 2000, Daffney also had a run with it I doubt we will see another woman hold a men's title any time soon in WWE. It worked with Chyna because A. She legitimately looked like she could kick a man's ass and B. WWE at that time was doing anything and everything they could to push the envelope and pitting a man against a woman even in the late '90s was pretty risque for television. With WWE fully behind being PG-13 for the time being its pretty safe to say the men and women's division are going to stay separated.

Not in wwe, the fact that they are a family oriented product means that women will wrestle women and men will wrestle men. They're going to do any inter gender stuff anymore and I don't blame them. Anyway like I wrote on a previous threat about chyna, she had the look and was at the right place at the right time but she was an horrible ic champ.

It will never happend again. WWE has reduced physical altercation between men and women to almost 0. The ONLY woman who was attacked physically in the past 10 years was Stephany...if i remember correctly, a second rope ddt by randy, and more recently the spear by roman.

On a side note, i would like to see a Tag Team Women Championship.

I'm going to say no, for one reason...

The new Women's Title is prestigious. Chyna won the Intercontinental Title because Chyna was superior to the Women's Division. In fact, when she did win the Women's Championship, it felt akin to seeing the Undertaker winning the European Title... She was better than the division. Now that the women's division has been legitimized, that's the goal for all female superstars, no one is better than that title.

I hope not as it's just not something I'm a fan of. I don't get into the whole intergender thing in pro wrestling as it really, really comes off as making the thing look genuinely "fake." Chyna winning the Intercontinental Championship didn't do the title any favors whatsoever, it devalued the title in my eyes, and it most certainly devalued the Cruiserweight Championship when Jaqueline won it. Chyna winning the Intercontinental Championship strikes me as one of those things where Vince thought it might be cool, was considering possibly scrapping the title or just thought it'd be funny to have a woman hold a men's championship. It was definitely the latter that went down when Jaqueline won the Cruiserweight Championship in a ridiculous feud with Chavo Guerrero and his father back in 2004.

In American wrestling today, there'd probably be too many people who'd be uncomfortable with the idea of a male wrestler "beating up" a female wrestler. Look at how easily people's feathers get ruffled these days when you take into account Zeb Coulter & Jack Swagger's "Real American" characters, CM Punk & Paul Heyman "mocking" Jerry Lawler's heart attack, CM Punk "desecrating" the memory of Paul Bearer by scattering his "ashes" over the prone body of the Undertaker, Paige briefly mentioning Charlotte Flair's deceased brother during the build for their feud, etc. If people get that worked up over scripted storylines featuring fictional personas, just imagine how they'd react the first time Becky Lynch took a Meathook Clothesline from Ryback.

If Vince Russo ever books wwe again, I could see that. Otherwise no. Women should compete for the women's title. Though if Ronda Rousey ever signs with wwe, I wouldn't mind if she won one of those titles. She is the exception. On a side note and I know this isn't a major promotion, but last I checked a woman was the Chikara grand champion.

Different time different era. Chyna was in a totally different league than the Sable, Tori's and Debra's of the world. Even Jacquelyn. She was just so much bigger physically. We know that all the titles were devalued during the Attitude Era booked by Vince Russo. It was part of a storyline. I don't think Chyna winning the I-C devalued it anymore than Kane's one day title reign or Vince winning the WWF Championship. The titles were used merely as props. So in that sense, I could totally see a woman winning a "man's championship".

The biggest reason is the "PC Climate" we live in now. Political Correctness run amok. Could you imagine The Warrior press slamming Sherri or the Dudley's putting Stacy Kiebler through a table nowadays? There would be non-stop protesting.

1) Is Social Media. It gives EVERYONE a voice and the ONE detractor will be heard louder than 10 people who might support it and put it in context.

2) Is post-Chris Benoit. The violence put forth by Chris Benoit murdering his family has made it impossible for the WWE to do ANYTHING in relation to "violence towards women" even if it's scripted.

3) Today's women are just as skillful as the men in terms of athleticism and physicality in the ring. There wouldn't be any need for a woman to wrestle man because the women compete on a pretty even playing field. It wouldn't be Chyna vs. Sable

Different time different era. Chyna was in a totally different league than the Sable, Tori's and Debra's of the world. Even Jacquelyn. She was just so much bigger physically. We know that all the titles were devalued during the Attitude Era booked by Vince Russo. It was part of a storyline. I don't think Chyna winning the I-C devalued it anymore than Kane's one day title reign or Vince winning the WWF Championship. The titles were used merely as props. So in that sense, I could totally see a woman winning a "man's championship".

The biggest reason is the "PC Climate" we live in now. Political Correctness run amok. Could you imagine The Warrior press slamming Sherri or the Dudley's putting Stacy Kiebler through a table nowadays? There would be non-stop protesting.

Actually in this case the protesting would be hilarious, the feminists would praise the fact a woman defeated a man to win the title but at the same time would be up in arms about the fact he attempted to defend his title. Yeah in this time and era where you can't even breathe without offending somebody its just smarter to let sleeping dogs lie. That and nobody on the women's roster at this time has the look or persona that says "I can take down any man in this ring" plenty of talented women on the roster but none have that look or persona women like Chyna, Jacqueline or even Madusa in WCW had back in the day that fans could actually buy into seeing them in a ring with the boys. Somebody mentioned Ronda Rousey, now she would be able to fit that image of a woman who could step in the ring with a man and pull it off, because she has an intense look and persona, the fans would be able to buy into her fighting for the IC or US title.

You kind of have to wonder if it's a good move longevity wise for a woman performer though, to go from competing for and defending the IC or US title where the fans are surely going to rally behind you and be on board, would probably be the high point of your career, and you'd likely fade away pretty quickly in the fans minds after dropping the title, it would be hard to keep that momentum up.

I think it's best to keep the two divisions separate, atleast for the time being.

The majority seem to site the overwhelming PC climate as the major reason why it won't happen. I'm inclined to agree but there just seems to be something about a woman holding a man's title and being on equal footing with men that also jives with the same PC climate. What really matters is the presentation.

If a woman quickly nailed a finisher and pinned a man, you immediately avoid the man on woman violence that most of us seem to think will prevent a woman from ever holding a men's title. Of course that begs the question of how you get the strap off her?

Sasha could quickly pin Miz for the IC, then in the rematch Maryse interferes and hits Sasha, thus again avoiding man of woman violence. This is the cheapest way to do it. Other promotions have run intergender matches in recent memory.

Eric Young held the Knockouts tag team titles in TNA. Lucha Underground has held intergender matches since episode one. WWE is under a whole different kind of microscope than those promotions.

Chyna was a very different athlete. Her broad shoulders and massive biceps distracted society from the perceived false weakness that we typically associate with the feminine form. Jacqueline too had a far more impressive physique than Chavo, whom she won the Cruiserweight championship from. Perhaps we need the right physically imposing woman?

Tamina, Nia Jax, and Awesome Kong are all female athletes that I think fit this bill. They come with that gravitas of masculine yet feminine that could make them believable candidates. Nia especially, she's certainly larger and looks stronger than some WWE champions like Daniel Bryan.

Never say never guys. Obviously if WWE had Ryback beat the crap out of Bayley it would go over like Triple H vs Katie Vick. But what if Nia Jax destroyed The Miz? What if Sasha Banks dodged all of Ryback's offence and stole the US title in the future? It's a matter of how it's presented. Obliterating a woman will bring about a social media onslaught of SJWs, whereas any woman holding a title in WWE would be mainstream news if they protected the woman and presented it correctly.

Say what you will about her, but imagine if Ronda Rousey signed with WWE and won the World Heavyweight title? That would put butts in seats and no one would have an issue with moves being hit on a legit fighter.

Never say never, but with the current TV deals and rules in place, it won't happen.

I also think the women's division is fleshed out enough now, that they can compete with eachother, while Chyna had no women to really wrestle that could toe to toe with her when she feuded with JJ

We should never see a Woman winning a mans title for the same reason you should never had someone the size of Rey Mysterio winning a Heavyweight title....it takes all the realism out of things. Yes I know wrestling is pre-determined but, things like Chyna winning the IC title, Medusa screwing over whos his face in WCW and Harvey Whippleman winning the womans title do nothing but devalue the titles they hold.

As someone said, unless we somehow end up with a cunt like Russo swerving everyone in the name of "logic" then, thankfully, I don't think this'll ever happen again.

If Vince Russo ever books wwe again, I could see that. Otherwise no. Women should compete for the women's title. Though if Ronda Rousey ever signs with wwe, I wouldn't mind if she won one of those titles. She is the exception. On a side note and I know this isn't a major promotion, but last I checked a woman was the Chikara grand champion.

Yeah I can't see nobody on the active roster right now that would be realistic in beating men. Rousey however I could see doing it.

I could see it happening in Lucha Underground or in TNA with the X-Division title. They already established with Velvet Sky that women can enter and claim a briefcase in feast or fired. I could see Gail Kim entering and getting the Xdivision title case. She then announces when she is going to cash in on the champion and build up the match. Since it's a smaller guy, it's believable that the woman can win.

likely not in the WWE (unless they bring back a Cruiserweight Championship, which they likely won't).

WWE put the IC strap on Chyna because (as has been said above) she really looked like she can actually fight and beat a man in a one on one match. i could really see her beating a Jarrett or an X-Pac in a match....i would say the same about Kharma (if she goes back to the WWE), however, i can't see someone like Charlotte or Bayley or even Sasha winning a man's championship in WWE.

i could see TNA having a knockout winning the X-Division title, but i won't bet money on it. WWE had something special with Chyna and (at the time) had 2 mid-card titles, so giving the IC title to Chyna wasnt a bad idea when you had 2 mid-card titles to go with a hardcore title and Light-Heavyweight title. i dont see them doing it now because of the limited number of championships they have, plus, after WCW's attempt at women winning men's championships likely will scare others off at trying it.

If Kharma had worked out, I could see a scenario where she won the title in the Royal Rumble (she had already entered one , so it's "possible" she could have won it), then have an injury angle where a woman wrestler attacks Kharma the next night, causing her to forfeit the title.

It sounds more like a late '99 WCW angle, but its definitely plausible.

Probably not,because..may she rest in peace,Chyna was a one of a kind wrestler..she had the size to compete with the boys.
The last two that I could think of that could were Kharma and Beth Phoenix...unless they sign a bevy of beauties that have that type of physical size..
I find the question posed highly inlikely

You mean nobody thinks Sumer Rae has no chance?

Seriously I don't think we'll see another Chyna. She was one of a kind athletic in a sport (cruiserweight) that doesn't exist anymore.

I also think another "could have been" scenario would have Ben the hardcore title if it still existed. Picture Sasha smashes Ambrose with a stop sign a could times. Pins him -2-3. Becomes new hardcore champion. She holds the belt up and Kalisto sneaks in from behind very fast roll up pin. Badabing badabom Bob your uncle new champ!! No violence against women, no interference we've had a women's champ without help......

Ahhh if only...

TNA was not far off with Awesome Kong a while back. She was legitimately portrayed as a threat to EVERYONE on the roster and I think they could have pulled it off.

As for the WWE. YES ... it will happen again. As someone said, Chyna is not the only one to have pulled this off. Jacqueline won the Cruiserweight Championship and Molly Holly is officially recognized as a former Hardcore Champion.

When written correctly this can work. They could have legitimately had Chyna in a World title match. Same with TNA and Kong. The key is in the writing and the portrayal for months/years leading up to the move.

It will very likely happen again at some point.

the only way I could see it happening is if Stephanie pulled some shenanigans to get the title off of somebody she hates and pinned somebody in some kind of special match(Like when she was in a triple threat match for the title vs. Jericho and HHH a long time ago).

I heavily doubt they would go that way, but it wouldn't completely shock me. It would fit Stephanie's character of overstepping her bounds in trying to get her way when things aren't working out for her.

It really wouldn't be much different than when Vince won it. Though that was a different era where the title changed hands way more, and the drama was often more of a focus than who won the matches.

No not in PC America esp. with all the domestic violence and pro athletes you will never see a man vs women match again in WWE

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back