A secondary women's title?

Charismatic Enigma

Grand Slam Champion
Let me preface by saying this is a distant pipe dream at this point, I'm not saying this should happen this week or anything, that said…

I think the divas need a secondary title.

I guess you could say that's what the NXT Women's Championship is, but as women's wrestling continues to evolve and become a more respected draw on the card, maybe even one day headlining PPVs, they really need another title. Here's why I think so:

How many male wrestlers could debut and win the top title in their first year? The answer is virtually none, with only a few exceptions. That is what makes the IC, US, Tag, etc. have value because they are perceived stepping stones on the way to the big one. Under the right long term circumstances it feels really special when someone like JBL or Jeff Hardy finally won the big one after a decade in the company, but both held plenty of other lesser titles along the way there.

For the divas there is only one belt, which is basically a career killer, because there's nowhere to go but down. Charlotte was on the main roster only a matter of months before winning the title, she will presumably go on to have a good run, but after she's won it 5 or 6 times, will anyone really be that excited to see her do it again? and again? and again?

Or think of someone like Paige or Gail Kim, they both won the biggest (and only) prize in women's wrestling, upon their debut. Where do you go from there? There is nothing left to strive for.

Obviously the roster would have to build up a lot to justify this, and we are probably years away from seeing it happen, but the question is: how would you feel about having two women's titles, and how far off do you think this is from happening? Discuss.

Like you said, it would take some time and a whole hell of a lot of work to make a second Diva's title mean anything. Even more time and work to book a larger Diva's roster with an already over-populated male roster. Also, WWE has had trouble booking all of their championships as it is. Right now the US and Divas titles are getting a lot of recognition and backing, but the Tag and IC titles are relatively stagnant. When the IC and Tag Titles were booked well, the US and Divas titles were basically booked like shit.

For this to happen, there would need to be a reason for the belt. Why are they adding a second belt to the Divas division? What exactly does it stand for? WWE would also need to feature Diva's much more heavily on their programming and that's one thing I don't see happening with Vince in charge. HHH maybe, but not Vince.

Ultimately, I think it's a good idea that will probably come to pass eventually. As women's wrestling grows, so too will their role in WWE. However, I think we're a long ways away from that happening.

WWF (technically NWA, of course, though the history on theirs was better due to talent) and TNA both had Women's Tag Team Championships at certain points, which was an idea that I did like. The main problem, came down to not having a proper amount of talent to use at their disposal. They had a limited number of women on the roster and it didn't really go anywhere. They couldn't do anything with it and it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

This would be so much easier for woman to work with though than with male wrestlers, with so many titles for them to work for, (Intercontinental, United States, and Tag Team). Honestly, that problem could be remedied by removing the United States Championship, that however, is for another discussion.

The other problems come in the investment of Tag Teams, and that problem would be two-fold, because that would mean putting not only more faith, but more pressure on the women of WWE, as well as more focus. I do admit it's a lot to ask from them, especially now, this would have to be down the line once they show the faith in them and have established them as a legitimate group.

It's not an idea that I see happening soon though (if at all), but if they accumulated enough talent to make it work, using Tag Teams for those that need a little help getting over, or just don't work well as single stars, as it is for most Tag Teams.

No. The females already get waaaaay too much time on WWE TV as it is. Listen, I am all for female empowerment and all that, but we have to be honest that most of the Divas just suck.

It is hard to watch a Divas match and not get bored.

I remember some episodes of RAW having 2 Diva's matches with 2 more Divas segments and I was bored to tears.

There only ever appears to be 1....maybe 2 Divas ever being pushed at a time. WWE's booking is terrible and I can't imagine them trying to attempt multiple storylines involving females.

Listen, there is a reason why female sports like soccer and basketball only draw 1/100th of male version of the sports. No one really wants to watch it.

I don't mind 1 Diva's storyline on RAW every week. Give them the 4-5 minutes. But any longer and I get bored quickly.

You get bored exactly for the reason that you stated, the booking. There is a reason why women like Paige, Sasha, Emma, Becky and Bayley were incredible while in NXT. Booking. You book the division legitimately, allow them the time to show what they're capable of, and they can and will get the proper attention they deserve.

There is a reason people look back at Trish, Lita, Victoria, Molly Holly, Ivory, because they were legitimate, they had the ability in the ring. There are women on the roster currently that have the ability, but lack the proper booking and lack the time to showcase what they can do, with the proper time to do just that, their place on the show would never be called into question.

These women are in the same position as woman that came around after the Attitude Era, they had to work hard and show they were more than T n' A, and each of those woman were capable of doing just that. The current roster has to do the same, they can't allow themselves to coast on their looks alone (well they could, but they would just be eye-candy) they have to work hard and prove their worth.

We have decent amount of good female wrestlers on the roster currently, they just need to learn to focus on them and build them up.

That said, this wouldn't work, until they properly established them and built a strong division, they need to work up to that.

Let's not think that any of the names above couldn't manage to put on a great match that people would be invested into seeing, they certainly can given the chance to do so. Wrestling is wrestling, and there are many cases of women in wrestling being better than most men.

I think we all realize that they were never be the 'main focus' of the show, but in this case (unlike female soccer/basketball), they are on the same show as the guys are.

Secondary women title as a mid-card title is good enough to serve the purpose. I wouldnot like Women Tag Titles though.

The only problem is WWE's booking of women and lack of talented female stars in main roster. Lets assume the roster at the end of 2016 contains:
1. Nikki Bella
2. Asuka
3. Bayley
4. Sasha Banks
5. Nia Jaxx
6. Becky Lynch
7. Paige :blush:
8. Charlotte
9. Natalya
10. Naomi

Now having these 10 women and some good booking can really make a way for secondary title for women.

What I would is Introduce Women Championship and make Divas Championship the secondary title. At Summerslam & Wrestlemania, The Divas Champion relinquishes Divas Title and gains the opportunity to face the Women Champion. For the Divas Title(which is vacant), give chance to left multiple wrestlers at Summerslam & Wrestlemania.

:devil:

I would fancy the Women's Tag title rather than the Secondary title. Because Women's title hasn't had reached great heights as being mentioned by the other posters as well. So it would be reasonable to bring in the Women's tag title and make it something noteworthy. At least that will keep the Diva's division from turning on each other and switching between face and heel all the time

I would fancy the Women's Tag title rather than the Secondary title. Because Women's title hasn't had reached great heights as being mentioned by the other posters as well. So it would be reasonable to bring in the Women's tag title and make it something noteworthy. At least that will keep the Diva's division from turning on each other and switching between face and heel all the time

Women's Tag Title? Won't happen, TNA tried it a couple of years back and if it failed for them, it would almost definitely fail for WWE, besides which, there aren't enough active Divas on the main roster to make many teams up.

How many male wrestlers could debut and win the top title in their first year? The answer is virtually none, with only a few exceptions. That is what makes the IC, US, Tag, etc. have value because they are perceived stepping stones on the way to the big one.

That's creative thinking, but the goal you're proposing is made more difficult by the small size of the women's roster. As it is, they don't have enough air time to feature all the women and some are sitting in the back with nothing to do. Secondary titles work better with the men because there are plenty of guys and it's easier to make the IC & US belts count for something in the area of building toward the big one, as you suggest.

For the divas there is only one belt, which is basically a career killer, because there's nowhere to go but down.

Isn't that the same problem for the men? Once anyone reaches the top, where else is there to go but down? The difficulty is magnified by the way a lot of people on this forum perceive build-ups for new guys on the main roster.

Take Rusev. As soon as he first lost, many were complaining that his push was 'ruined.' But everyone has to lose sometime, don't they? No one remains undefeated their entire career, right? These folks were apparently saying anything short of winning the world title means WWE has booked Rusev's career into oblivion. In truth, the company has made the wrong moves in booking Rusev, but not because of his 1-2 record against Cena.

Still, I don't know that a secondary title will help the women, especially since there so few of them competing for the one that now exists. What the gals need is more (and better) situational conflicts written for them.....and that's being attempted now with Charlotte, Becky & Sasha as the beneficiaries.

I believe WWE should keep working on making the Diva Championship mean something before worrying about adding another title.

Unless wwe is really going to invest in Women's Wrestling and not treat it as a side attraction, there is no use. Right now, you don't really have the need for it. TNA tried that with their Tag Titles and what you ended up with is almost half the roster being champ. wwe has a few more divas but look back to when they had 2 titles - people tended to lose one and float over to get the other as there just wasn't enough. Really, wwe should have made the Divas title the secondary and left the Women's title the top one but again, it just seems like 1 title too many.

I am not saying women deserve less recognition, but the Divas division is not drawing enough to sustain 1 title. let alone 2. This is all down to booking. When Vince McMahon cant be assed to book his top mans title properly when he could have the sell out at WM 32 he apparently wants then even the Divas title has no hope.

What purpose would that serve? The WWE can't even book the midcard titles it has properly, so why should they make a midcard title for the divas? Do you really want to see the likes of Brie Bella or the others who can't wrestle start feuding over that title? That's without even starting on how little the fans will care about it given the general dislike of the primary Divas Championship. They have enough divas who can be the focus of the main title. Charlotte, Sasha, Becky, Paige, and even Natalya can all feud for it continually. Bayley upon her inevitable promotion would join this tier. The others should be in non-title feuds. Adding a second title for the jobber tier would be pointless. If any changes were to be made to the division I would instead bring back the design of the WWE Women's Championship with a pink or red strap and have it replace the Divas Championship.

I was thinking that a Diva's tag team title would be a good idea. You already have a natural team in the Bella twins. Then you could have Naomi and Tamina as a team and maybe Sasha and Bailey on occasion. Then you can bring in more ladies down the line who come in specifically as tag teams the way you have guys like the Uso's who came in as a tag team. If anything, as long as the title is featured on a regular basis it does give other divas some more focus.

Babysteps is the name of the game for the division at this point. Banks being positioned near the top is excellent, however I feel she's being pushed as the de facto babyface as Lynch isn't over the way they had hoped. Perhaps another prize to fight over could help talent like Lynch connect with the fans?

What about instead of a midcard belt or tag belts, what about another type of prize. Royal Rumble, Andre the Giant Battle Royal, Money in the Bank, and King of the Ring are all accolades WWE uses (or has used) in order to get new men over.

What about a Queen of the Ring tournament? It could be an all women network special or a part of another PPV. Making this a one off runs the risk of it being considered not important, or making it annual pigeon holes creative into having to book it every year.

MITB is not the right direction to go for the ladies. They're division is already fairly unpredictable. A few months ago Charlotte was a face, Paige was being booked as top heel, and Banks was in dark matches. You don't really need to add another unpredictable element.

I like the idea of tag belts most, but they're at least a few years away from being viable. In the mean time, establish a division within the divas division that is not the title. Who else is having a feud right now that isn't the divas title? Paige and Natalya are friends again for some reason (total divas). There's really nothing else going on.

Booking an undercard consistently for a few months or years is the first step towards any other prizes. I would start with babysteps. Have a QOTR, have a Fabulous Moolah memorial battle royal, have something that builds a division outside the title to set the stage for future expansion.

Agree with Dagger here. Until the can book the titles they have properly men's and the Diva's title, why put another one out there for them to screw up? There are only a handful of women anyway, and not all of them quite honestly deserve to hold a title.

Does Tamina, Alicia Fox, Brie Bella and to an extent Naomi deserve a lesser title? I can't think of a reason why. Get more Diva's, book the division properly and then we can talk about another belt. Until then forget it.

Isn't that the same problem for the men? Once anyone reaches the top, where else is there to go but down? The difficulty is magnified by the way a lot of people on this forum perceive build-ups for new guys on the main roster.

It is, but like I said the men have enough secondary titles (and other various accolades: Royal Rumble, MITB, KOTR, etc.) that you can still have a nice long career building momentum before (or without even) winning the big one. For the women, they have one goal, and once it's achieved they've literally done all there is to do.

Still, I don't know that a secondary title will help the women, especially since there so few of them competing for the one that now exists. What the gals need is more (and better) situational conflicts written for them.....and that's being attempted now with Charlotte, Becky & Sasha as the beneficiaries.

I believe WWE should keep working on making the Diva Championship mean something before worrying about adding another title.

Agreed 100%, and I really think WM is gonna be a big step towards that this year, because from most of the rumored card, I think Charlotte and Sasha is gonna be a strong candidate for show stealer. This will only be amplified further when HHH inevitably takes over booking as we're seeing in NXT. I think there is a lot of old school mentality about women's wrestling that it doesn't draw, that they're just there for the boys enjoyment, that their matches are "piss breaks", etc. but I think the last couple of years of NXT has really changed that perception a LOT.

Let's make the current title have a little bit of meaning before you suggest bringing in more woman's titles. The Divas Title has been in bad need of a rename and redesign for awhile now. They already have an NXT Woman's Title that seems more important than the Divas title anyway.

Generally speaking, as of right now, the active Divas on the main roster are Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Brie Bella, Alicia Fox, Naomi and Tamina Snuka. Natalya appears sporadically and, as of late, so has Paige but even if you count them, that's still only 9 Divas that make up the active roster, which isn't enough to warrant a secondary title.

If you factor out all the male wrestlers who're either out injured or are special attractions, there's still over 40 men that make up the active, main roster and that certainly qualifies for one or even two secondary championships. If the Divas ever get to the point where there are maybe 15 to 20 on the main roster, and I mean women who can actually wrestle rather than look appealing in skimpy outfits, then I could see creating a secondary women's strap. Otherwise, at least to me, it'd seem like a title that exists for the primary purpose of someone carrying it around. ,

Unless WWE is going to consistently give the women more than one match per show, there's no reason for a secondary title. If they do, I think a women's tag team title would be better than a secondary singles title.

That said, the big thing I'd like to see is for one of the NXT women to win the Divas Championship, cut a promo, throw down the belt and bring back the Women's title.

Well, having another Women's title would alleviate the issue where the top title is being held by Ric Flair's Daughter, simply because Ric Flair has so much stroke with the company still somehow.

There's not enough girls on the roster to run 2 titles, and honestly, I don't think they should maintain that many women unless they cut their men down a bit, as we already have issues having enough wrestle, because we needed an entire hour of HHH Promos to open up every RAW.

I still think the mens division needs to drop one of the midcard belts, so Im definitely not in favor of having 2 womens titles now.

It's funny that there hasnt been many main roster ME matches, but the NXT Women had Match of the year in most people's eyes.

No I wouldn't think so, To introduce extra womens titles if they were to mean anything I think you would have to half everything, Half the whole show would be female matches, But like it or not the females just don't draw as much as males do. For new titles not to mean anything would just be pointless and nobody would care about them, In saying that I do think female wrestling has grown quite a bit over the years from having just a couple on a roster a few years ago to probably nearly 20 now. I think they should stick to making the divas title mean everything anymore titles would just water down whats already works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back