Will the Nation of Domination be remembered as a dynasty faction?

CM Steel

A REAL American
In the history of pro wrestling we've seen factions come & go in various promotions. Factions that set a deep print in the world of wrestling. Such as the Four Horseman, the NWO, D-Generation-X, and Evolution. Stable's that made history in wrestling. But what about the infamous Nation of Domination faction? The first & only wrestling faction consisting of all african-american wrestlers.

The Nation started off with non-black wrestlers at first in the forms of Crush (Brian Adams) & Savio Vega. But not a year later we saw the birth of the NEW version of the N.O.D. with some new members like Kama aka the Godfather, the Rock, and Mark Henry. After Wrestlemania 14 on RAW the Nation turned on their leader Faarooq (Ron Simmons) in-favor of the young Rock who held the WWF/E IC title at that time. And brought in Owen Hart (R.I.P.) as a new member of the stable, who knew all about being apart of a large faction (the Hart Fondation). In which the N.O.D. helped build the Rock to be where he was to go in the future as a mega-star in the WWF/E!

Isn't it funny how wrestling fans always point out the fact that the Nation was a all-black faction but fail to remember that factions like the Four Horsemen was an all-white faction? Does race really play a factor in wrestling factions?? It really shouldn't! But in question, will the Nation of Domination be remembered as a dynasty faction?

The Nation will always be remembered as a black faction because that was like the main part of their gimmick durring their most remembered period. They were based off the black panthers, used their "power" hand sign, and portrayed really a lot of negative stereotypes. I'm pretty sure they feuded with a group of latinos and they referred to it heavily as a "gang fight". I don't think they had any real success other than the emergence of the rock, and in all reality they're probably a faction worth being forgotten.

To me i'll always remember them because I really enjoy Farooq, D-lo, early Mark Henry, and the rock of course, but I remember them more for those guys being in the group rather than what they did.

Oh, and DX in blackface. That was really funny but was pretty damn racist too.

And as far as nobody noting any "white factions" is the same reason other majority groups aren't really mentioned in history. Wrestling over the years has been predominantly dominated by white guys, it's just a fact. Obviously it's been more mixed race as of late because of decreasing prejudice but before the 80s it's pretty limited. Basically it's like noting that George Washington was the first white president and that Barack Obama is the first (half) black president. One of those facts is just more interesting than the other.

Well I'ma be honest, I understand where you coming from with the black faction thing. But if you think the different groups that stemmed from NOD. Crush (The Disiples of Acpocalyspe.) and Savio Vega (Los Boricuas.) They had a whole bunch of Gang Stables. But after it was all said and done and the Insane Clown Posse Left, Faarooq didn't have no choice but to go with Black guys such as Kama, Mark Henry, Rock, and D-Lo; until he got kicked out of course. And let's not forget the WWF Gang: Ahmed Johnson, Ken Shamrock, and LOD. But I say the Nation of Domination was the most underrated faction of All time. It was a pretty unique gimmick and pretty radical in terms of racism at times. But it was unique. Just think, there's people saying D-X is WWE's version of the NWO. Evolution was the WWE's answer to the 4 horsemen. The Nation was the only popular group that WWE had ever created to not be a version or a certain relation to another group of another organization. And to be quite honest they tried to bring that racial fad up again back in 2006 with "Thuggin & Buggin Enterprises". Theodore Long, Jazz, and Rodney Mack, but the gimmick failed horribly. So IMO, The Nation to me were a dynasty. Different factions came from the nation such as DOA, and Los Boricuas. Not no NOD Black, NOD White, or NOD Puerto Rican Faction. But actual named factions that didn't carry on the same name like NWO Black and White, and NWO Red and Black. And the gimmick was so unique. And not to mention that Chicago Street Fight stole the show at Wrestlemania 13. It's just a shame they are not given as much credit as they are deserved. They are in my top 5 WWE factions of all time.

Not exactly a response to the original question, but when did Owen Hart, JC Ice, Brian Adams, and Savio Vega start to be considered "all black"?

The Nation of Domination/The Nation are based on the real life Nation of Islam. I think Snoop Lion is a member. Watch Malcom X. IMO The whole angle was that Faarooq is Elijah Muhammad and The Rock is Malcom X, and The Rock is starting to outshine his leader, in real life the Nation took Faarooq's side, kicked the Rock out, and then killed him, where as in WWE The Nation turned on Faarooq. No, they needed to win more championships to be a dynasty, and they needed to win the WWF title. If Faarooq had beaten the Undertaker, then yes. But they had the Rock's two I.C reigns and Owen and The Rock as Tag Team Champions

Not exactly a response to the original question, but when did Owen Hart, JC Ice, Brian Adams, and Savio Vega start to be considered "all black"?

They were all African longer than they had non African members and their rise to prominence began when they were all African. When Owen joined The Rock had already taken over and they already had notoriety from their feuds with the Disciples of Apocalypse, Los Boriquas, and Stone Colds budding rivalry with The Rock.

I think they are a "dynasty" since a good bit of their members had either achieved great success, would achieve it as members, or gain it down the road.

Farooq Asaad(Ron Simmons): First African Heavyweight Champ(WCW) in the industry in, United States Champion(WCW), Tag Team Champ(WCW/WWF).

The Rock: Well, you know.

Ahmed Johnson: Intercontinental Champion

D'Lo Brown: Intercontinental and European Champion.

Kama/The Godfather: Intercontinental Champion and Tag Team Champion

Mark Henry: 2 Time Heavyweight Champion(ECW and World) and European Champion.

That's actually an impressive list of accolades and as impressive as any other stable in history.

And as far as nobody noting any "white factions" is the same reason other majority groups aren't really mentioned in history. Wrestling over the years has been predominantly dominated by white guys, it's just a fact. Obviously it's been more mixed race as of late because of decreasing prejudice but before the 80s it's pretty limited. Basically it's like noting that George Washington was the first white president and that Barack Obama is the first (half) black president. One of those facts is just more interesting than the other.

Thank you, thank you for having the watermelons to say something that is so obvious but people are just afraid to do so.

I was born and raised in Philly, in a prodominately black neighborhood. I HATE racism with every ounce of my being because some of my closest friends are not of the same descent as myself.

So I would like to piggybank off of my dudes comment here and say that I DO NOT think the Nation of Domination will go down as a "dynasty" as you put it because lets face it, outside of the Rock, A TON of black wrestlers are just not taken seriously and weren't taking serious, aside from a few like Ron Simmons.

I personally don't think the Nation was a crucial part in any of the wrestlers careers. The Rock was so talented he was going to be successful with or without that group. His popularity skyrocketed him right out of the group actually. Ron Simmons made his legacy in the NWA. Mark Henry went on to become Sexual Chocolate before he finally started to be taken serious in the last 3 years. The Godfather didn't get popular until he became the Godfather which was a complete repackage of his Nation character and his previous character as Papa Shango was better than his Nation character.

So I honestly don't think the Nation has a place carved in stone in WWF/WWE history at all. That is just my opinion though.

As for race in wrestling, maybe thats a thread for a different day but this was a decent thread nonetheless.

Side Notes***

1. Dynasty in wrestling? Dynasty is a word largely used in sports, it was very different to see it referenced in wrestling.

2. I didn't mention D-Lo Brown because I couldn't stand the guy and still can't. He offered very little outside of shaking his head back and forth.

What do you mean? They will only be remembered forever as how they are rememebered now - as that group that The Rock came from... Nothing else, nothing less.

The NOD could have been a lot more than it was. Its unfortunate that they never really had a main event presence...by the time the Rock was a main eventer he had left the NOD...Ron Simmons was a main eventer in WCW but got bumped back to the midcard in WWF. Its too bad that they never let anyone in NOD have a run with the WWF title.

I DO NOT think the Nation of Domination will go down as a "dynasty" as you put it because lets face it, outside of the Rock, A TON of black wrestlers are just not taken seriously and weren't taking serious, aside from a few like Ron Simmons.

I personally don't think the Nation was a crucial part in any of the wrestlers careers. The Rock was so talented he was going to be successful with or without that group. His popularity skyrocketed him right out of the group actually. Ron Simmons made his legacy in the NWA. Mark Henry went on to become Sexual Chocolate before he finally started to be taken serious in the last 3 years. The Godfather didn't get popular until he became the Godfather which was a complete repackage of his Nation character and his previous character as Papa Shango was better than his Nation character.

First off, Thank you Mack for an interesting topic. Second, I agree with the above statement. Nowadays,when you look at NOD, it was a group that some now legendary wrestlers were apart of. The group never really did anything for anyone. I appreciate the group, no doubt about it, but in hindsight some guys were already established (Ron Simmons), some guys were gonna be stars regardless (Rock) and others took a looong time to hit their stride (Mark Henry). When you look at NOD in another five to ten years, you will see that it boasted some HOF'ers (Ron, Rocky, hopefully Owen {miss u man, get it together Martha} and Mark Henry). maybe younger generations will look back in history and learn to appreciate the group a lot more than we ever can... They should get some credit because at one time, it was an all black faction...maybe if they seized all the federation titles at one time ala 4 Horsemen and Evolution, they would have more credibility. But, I enjoyed them regardless.

First off, Thank you Mack for an interesting topic. Second, I agree with the above statement. Nowadays,when you look at NOD, it was a group that some now legendary wrestlers were apart of. The group never really did anything for anyone. I appreciate the group, no doubt about it, but in hindsight some guys were already established (Ron Simmons), some guys were gonna be stars regardless (Rock) and others took a looong time to hit their stride (Mark Henry). When you look at NOD in another five to ten years, you will see that it boasted some HOF'ers (Ron, Rocky, hopefully Owen {miss u man, get it together Martha} and Mark Henry). maybe younger generations will look back in history and learn to appreciate the group a lot more than we ever can... They should get some credit because at one time, it was an all black faction...maybe if they seized all the federation titles at one time ala 4 Horsemen and Evolution, they would have more credibility. But, I enjoyed them regardless.

I agree with this. I enjoyed the NOD especially after the added Owen. Like asiatic said, there were guys in the group that were going to be stars. It took Mark Henry a little longer, but when they brought him in the hopes were very high. Simmons was already established, and he went onto bigger things as part of the APA. The NOD is an underrated faction I believe, but I don't think they are quite on the level of some of the other factions mentioned. In the end though I think they are significant, and were very enjoyable at the time, but not dynasty level.

Thank you, thank you for having the watermelons to say something that is so obvious but people are just afraid to do so.

I was born and raised in Philly, in a prodominately black neighborhood. I HATE racism with every ounce of my being because some of my closest friends are not of the same descent as myself.

So I would like to piggybank off of my dudes comment here and say that I DO NOT think the Nation of Domination will go down as a "dynasty" as you put it because lets face it, outside of the Rock, A TON of black wrestlers are just not taken seriously and weren't taking serious, aside from a few like Ron Simmons.

So I honestly don't think the Nation has a place carved in stone in WWF/WWE history at all. That is just my opinion though.

As for race in wrestling, maybe thats a thread for a different day but this was a decent thread nonetheless.

Side Notes***

1. Dynasty in wrestling? Dynasty is a word largely used in sports, it was very different to see it referenced in wrestling.

2. I didn't mention D-Lo Brown because I couldn't stand the guy and still can't. He offered very little outside of shaking his head back and forth.

Really? This has to be the most stupid post I have read recently (no offence of course) why? Because of the D-Lo comment for one.

D-Lo was a classic example of why the Nation was a Dynasty/Legacy stable but first let's define what a stable should do to have a legacy/dynasty.

1) It has a leader who is experienced, successful and a good teacher of young wrestlers and can take the spotlight to get things going...Ron Simmons I'm looking at you here but for the Horsemen it was Flair, for Evolution it was Trips, DX it was Shawn...

2) You have a lieutenant or enforcer, someone who has not had the success the leader has, but has experience, talent and a physical presence to help the others gain victories over opponents that should beat them...in NOD's case, Kama Mustafa/The Godfather, in the Horsemen you could say Ole, Tully and Arn had this role at different times although Arn is more often referred to as the enforcer.

3) You have younger, less talented set of members, in NOD's case Mark Henry, Rocky Maivia and D-Lo. The purpose of the stable is that these are the people you need to get over and those above are there to make that happen by giving them the rub. "The Rock" didn't exist until the Nation, it grew out of being part of the group with the others there to cover if things went wrong. D-Lo arguably grew the most as he went from fringe player to for the time a massive push. It was a shame the Droz accident happened as it pretty much ended it but till that point he was not only over but a draw.

4) You have shock members joining - Everyone remembers saying WTF? when Owen joined the NOD, like when the Outlaws were suddenly part of DX or Sting was suddenly a Horseman. Ahmed joining was silly but Owen actually contributed a lot to the group, especially guys like D-Lo and the Rock. They couldn't fail to improve with him on the team.

5) You have an entourage - The Horsemen had JJ and Woman, NOD had Wolfie D, JC Ice, Clarence Mason, DX had everyone from Rick Rude to Mike Tyson at various points.

6) The members of that stable all grow as a result of being together, even if the stable itself is not the main thing they are remembered for... People look at Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton now and barely remember Legacy ever existed. Many have forgotten that Ron Simmons was ever anything other than the guy who said "Damn". In the NOD's case, as someone pointed out the championships won by its members is actually staggering. Translate that into tickets sold, respect earned and impact made.

Ron is already in the HOF, The Rock, Owen and probably Mark Henry (as a former Olympian made good in WWE and his 16 year plus career!) will no doubt be in within the next few years (Martha permitting) and the Godfather and D.Lo (I am sure they will induct Droz at the same time) have very solid claims to the honor at some point in the future for their contributions to the Attitude era alone (Wonder how many Ho's the Godfather would bring to his induction lol)

7) People are influenced and attitudes change - Until the Horsmen, a stable was a way to find something for guys to do...for NOD with Crush and Savio it was just that but once it changed the Nation was equally influential... Just as Mongo and Paul Roma were never good Horsemen...

Look at original Prime Time Players gimmick of AW on the mic came from Clarence at ringside for the nation.

Just 4 years before NOD debuted, Simmons won the first "black" World title and no one else had in any global company since... till NOD the idea of a predominantly black, successful stable had not been even though of, indeed the biz was considered "racist" on that level. Since the NOD? The Rock, Mark Henry, Booker T. and Ron Killings, Ezekiel Jackson and Bobby Lashley have all won World titles in the "big 2" that wouldn't have happened without the Nation. Even this week Big E. Langston can walk into WWE and destroy a top man just as Farooq did when he debuted only this time it's not "just the IC champ" but John Cena, the BIG MAN...

I just recently watched through WWF Raw 1997, and the Nation Of Domination received about 90% of the television time throughout the year. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but you kind of get my drift I'm sure.

Seriously Ron Simmons cut some fantastic promos. I loved the one where he told Ahmed Johnson that "I'm the devil, and these are my demons", also a promo he had with Austin later in the year talking about what tough is. Some really surprisingly good promos from Ron Simmons in 97. I think maybe he should have won the belt from Undertaker in the summer as much as I loved Taker as champ at the time.

They really fumbled the ball imo with the Nation when they turned Savio Vega heel early in 97. Crush was an intimidating token white dude in the faction, and he was imposing enough to be somewhat of a fit as a henchmen or something, but bringing Savio Vega in early in 97 kind of killed it. They made it even worse when they did the ill fated Ahmed Johnson heel turn just one week prior to him injuring his knee.

They got it together later in the year when they got rid of Savio Vega, Crush, and Ahmed, and brought in Kama & The Rock. Had the Kama/Rock Nation been done earlier in 97 I think without a doubt the Nation would be more respected and fondly remembered as a powerful African American wrestling faction, especially with a Farooq title reign squeezed into 97 somehow.

Farooq's feud with Ahmed was somewhat entertaining up until the Ahmed heel turn. It had a very Raven/Dreamer feel to it at times, and it was very down to earth and realistic compared to the WWF's mid card feuds in the years before it.

The Nation, to me, will always, to me, be where The Rock came from. Nothing more, nothing less....If you asked me what I remember the Nation in 97 for and the answer is, simply, Black Panthers vs Hells Angels vs The Cast of Westside Story, and that's being generous...Nation deffo helped Rock on his way (and turned Mark Henry and Godfather from useless lumps into interesting characters) but, honestly, the faction itself wasn't that great and relied far too heavily (during its peak) on the "we're black guys being held down by 'THE MAN'" to generate heat rather than through talent.

The NOD could have been a lot more than it was.

A group of black men emulating the Black Panther movement was never going to stay around long in mainstream America in 1997 / 1998. They were boring, their angles were boring and the stable was filled with mid carders. Ron Simmons worked an 80;s style, Brian Adams was one of the worst wrestlers of all time, D Lo Brown was a chubby rookie, Clarence mason was awful and was out of the business shortly after, Wolfie D had a silly Memphis attitude to everything, Savio Vega was a longtime mid carder... Everything about them screamed mid card. The Rock took off my leaving the Nation.

It is what it is.

At first with Farooq, Kama, D-Lo and Mark Henry it was supposed to be known as an all black faction. Then The Rock came, they kicked out Farooq and shortly after that Owen Hart joined. I was only 8 then but im pretty sure Owen is white right? (Sarcasticlly) In my eyes they are not known as an all black faction because they has Owen, Savio, Brian Adams in the faction. But I can see a case for either side.

Lol. Remembered as a Dynasty Faction? Dynasty's have World Champions, something this group did not.

Not to mention that if not for the Rock's monstrous success after he left all those guys behind, no one would even remember the Nation. If not for The Rock/Austin/Triple H's DVD's, there'd be absolutely no reason to show any footage from those guys.

Isn't it funny how wrestling fans always point out the fact that the Nation was a all-black faction but fail to remember that factions like the Four Horsemen was an all-white faction? Does race really play a factor in wrestling factions?? It really shouldn't! But in question, will the Nation of Domination be remembered as a dynasty faction?

However, The Four Horsemen wasn't pushing a White Supremacy idea. The Nation was pushing an idea that "We are the 'Nation' of Domination." Which brings me to another question, do you think that a group pushing a white supremacy or black supremacy idea would fly in 2012???

Also I believe they will be a dynasty because collectively the group has held;
WWE Title (Rock)
World Title (Mark Henry)
IC Title, European Title, Hardcore Title, Tag Team Titles, etc...

Just 4 years before NOD debuted, Simmons won the first "black" World title and no one else had in any global company since... till NOD the idea of a predominantly black, successful stable had not been even though of, indeed the biz was considered "racist" on that level. Since the NOD? The Rock, Mark Henry, Booker T. and Ron Killings, Ezekiel Jackson and Bobby Lashley have all won World titles in the "big 2" that wouldn't have happened without the Nation. Even this week Big E. Langston can walk into WWE and destroy a top man just as Farooq did when he debuted only this time it's not "just the IC champ" but John Cena, the BIG MAN...

Are you serious right now? Are you really saying that the Nation of Domination did anything at all to progress the image of black wrestlers? First of all, while Simmons' accomplishments in WCW was important, he is in now way the first black champion nor did he break the color barrier. Bo Bo Brazil, Ed Wright, and Ernie Ladd were winning major NWA titles far before Simmons. Ron's title is considered especially important because it is just the first in WCW/WWE history. It wasn't as big of a deal at the time in comparison with the rest of the country. The NOD was the start of the drop of his career. He had success with Bradshaw as a tag team but never ever became a singles star again.

D'lo Brown (and this is a guy I like) will NEVER be in the HOF. The Godfather SHOULD NEVER be in the HOF. If he ever goes its all because of nostalgic popularity of his gimmick. If you recall, he was a pimp. Another black stereotype.

NOD is just another on a long list of black groups with racist gimmicks. They're no better than the Gangstaz of SMW or the Baldies of ECW. In the WWE there was MOM, Cryme Time, and Teddy Long playing the (literal) Race Card. These are all examples of companies trying to use race to get guys over because it's the easiest thing to do. Every time another angry black thug character comes on TV it puts black wrestlers back a year.

Same goes for anything similar to the Mexicools. I was amazed that got on television.

do you think that a group pushing a white supremacy or black supremacy idea would fly in 2012???

As I said before, the closest we've gotten recently is the Theodore Long, Rodney Mack, and Mark Henry group. I think it's possible that this kind of thing could be brought up again but not very likely. I definitely don't expect to see a white supremacy group honestly, its just too much. Closest thing we had was Chavo Guerrero as Kerwin White. That was bad.

-----------------
With all that said I do want to say there are a lot of Black wrestlers that I consider to be over recently without using really race based gimmicks. Booker T, Bobby Lashley, Kofi Kingston(way more over when he started talking properly instead of a Jamaican accent), Prime Time Players, Kenny King, Jay Lethal, Shelton Benjamin, and Devon have all had success without relying(heavily) on ethnic based gimmicks. Even The Rock while gaining his first real opportunities in the NOD, would go on to his greatest success after dropping any race based character.

To me that shows clearly how far we've come.

Are you serious right now? Are you really saying that the Nation of Domination did anything at all to progress the image of black wrestlers? First of all, while Simmons' accomplishments in WCW was important, he is in now way the first black champion nor did he break the color barrier. Bo Bo Brazil, Ed Wright, and Ernie Ladd were winning major NWA titles far before Simmons. Ron's title is considered especially important because it is just the first in WCW/WWE history. It wasn't as big of a deal at the time in comparison with the rest of the country. The NOD was the start of the drop of his career. He had success with Bradshaw as a tag team but never ever became a singles star again.

D'lo Brown (and this is a guy I like) will NEVER be in the HOF. The Godfather SHOULD NEVER be in the HOF. If he ever goes its all because of nostalgic popularity of his gimmick. If you recall, he was a pimp. Another black stereotype.

NOD is just another on a long list of black groups with racist gimmicks. They're no better than the Gangstaz of SMW or the Baldies of ECW. In the WWE there was MOM, Cryme Time, and Teddy Long playing the (literal) Race Card. These are all examples of companies trying to use race to get guys over because it's the easiest thing to do. Every time another angry black thug character comes on TV it puts black wrestlers back a year.

Same goes for anything similar to the Mexicools. I was amazed that got on television.

To me that shows clearly how far we've come.

Go back and read again... I said first World title in a GLOBAL company. Ernie Ladd, Bearcat etc won regional titles in the NWA before they were a global entity. Ron Simmons won the WCW World title in an era where they had just broken the global ceiling!

In fact read the whole thing again because frankly you missed the point entirely!

Go back and read again... I said first World title in a GLOBAL company. Ernie Ladd, Bearcat etc won regional titles in the NWA before they were a global entity. Ron Simmons won the WCW World title in an era where they had just broken the global ceiling!

In fact read the whole thing again because frankly you missed the point entirely!

I suppose I really don't understand what your thesis is still. If it's to prove that the nation was a prototypical example of a complete faction you've proved that, i'm not arguing that point. My issue is more that you seem to be arguing that the nation broke ground for black wrestlers. Apart from the Rock, everyone's career went nowhere from there. At least for several years in the case of Henry.

You're right though, Simmons' achievement in WCW was important because it was the start of the era that wrestling moved to a national level (National, not global. but your point still stands), this was just as important as the other guys. I was saying that there was a lot more build up to that accomplishment than just Simmons.

I'd have to say yes. They were a big part of the formation of the Attitude era, which eventually led to the WWF winning the ratings war.

Did The Rock attain true main event level success after he left the group? Yes. So did Orton, so did Triple H. But before The Rock joined NOD, he was a largely hated and drew in a lot of negative heat. Vince put him in the NOD so that Kama and Farooq could guide him and Mark Henry. The Rock's nation character and angle with Farooq was a huge part of his persona really coming together. The NOD would eventually go on to feud with DX leading to a great IC ladder match at Summerslam which really helped propel both stars career.

If you look back at 97, a transitional year which helped mold the new era, many of the mid card feuds revolved around the NOD. Early in the year you had Farooq, Crush, and Vega feuding with the Harts, Ahmed Johnson, and LOD. You had the whole split up angle in which Farooq fired Crush and Vega who went on to create two new stable. What was good about this, is it gave 3 stables a real reason to dislike each other, rather than just feuding for the sake of it, and additionally it gave some of the less used/ younger talents some TV time(where have I heard demand for that before?). D-lo finally got to get in there and show what he can do, rather than be a suit in the background. In my opinion D-lo Brown is a great wrestler. I've always been interested in his matches, his surprising athleticism, some incredile spots, and the whole attitude(cough) that he brought to the ring, from the moment he walked through the curtain to the moment he left. I also think that the feuding of these stable was important, because it gave a nice blance of wrestling and brawling on the show. WCW had the NWO which gained a lot of popularity from the way they would come in there unannounced and brawl. So, at this point, the WWF not only had great main event talens, along with a lot of talented ring workers, but they also had that more organic all out fight atmosphere throughout part of the show. I mean if you watch the entrance video from the time, you see an all out brawl and it gets you pumped. I think this helped kinda transition WWF from the older style of wrestling to the newer era.

Additionally with the NOD you had great promos. I like a lot of Farooq's promos about growing up poor. It was something a different demographic can relate to while they watch this show full of stars that make lots of money and travel the world. A lot of Farooq's promos felt real. This guy was a former WCW world champ, but comes to the WWF and wrestles the mid card, and on top that points out the fact that Vince has never had a black WWF world champ. It jus felt so real, and was a true point, at the time. For some it really raised some eyebrows, no pun intended lol. The NOD was the first time The Rock cut a good promo. The Kama became The Godfather through a promo. Whether you liked the pimp idea or not, he got big reactions, and it really gave the crowd of that time, what they wanted.

Then, you throw in the list of belts that the members have gone on to win, I'd say it worked pretty well. It helped pave the way for the future. It gave the mid card something to do to help carry the show from point A to point B. It created several great stars. I think it was great. It was something different and original. It was edgy and bold. It appealed to a different demographic. Easily one of my favorite stables and one that I would like to see come back. Maybe led by Shelton Benjamin? Lol, he could complain about being one of wrestlings greatest athletes but never making it to the top, and start asking why. Race would never have to be brought into it, it would be a subtle NOD (see what I did there) to the old theme of the stable, while technically being PC friendly.

Technically though the Nation wasn't an all black group. Remember they had PG-13, Savio Vega and Crush, which if I remember correctly were not black. Then at a later date, when they got kicked out, yes they became an all black group. But then after The Rock joined, Owen Hart joined shortly after, also not black. :)

However, The Four Horsemen wasn't pushing a White Supremacy idea. The Nation was pushing an idea that "We are the 'Nation' of Domination." Which brings me to another question, do you think that a group pushing a white supremacy or black supremacy idea would fly in 2012???

Also I believe they will be a dynasty because collectively the group has held;
WWE Title (Rock)
World Title (Mark Henry)
IC Title, European Title, Hardcore Title, Tag Team Titles, etc...

White supremacy? Funny. Out of all the members of the Four Horsemen, and I mean ALL THE MEMBERS whomever was a horsemen was always white. But I didn't lean anywhere near saying that the Four Horsemen were a white supremacy group or anything.

If anything, the closes person from the Four Horsemen that comes close to being a white supremacy-type of guy or a racist is/was Ole Anderson. Ole was a straight-up asshole inside & outside of the ring when it came to people, mostly of color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back