Who should end the "Glorious" title reign?

ShinChan

Gone. For. Good.
"Glorious" Bobby Roode won the NXT Championship after defeating Shinsuke Nakamura at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio. He successfully defended the title against the former champion Nakamura at NXT TakeOver: Orlando.

Now that Nakamura has been called-up to Smackdown Live, there's zero chance of another rematch. So, Who would you like to end Bobby Roode's "Glorious" title reign?

I would've preferred Tye Dillinger. But now that he's gone to Smackdown, I think that either Hideo Itami or Drew McIntyre should end his reign.

Hideo was injured again last year and I think that he may return at next TakeOver or later. Drew McIntyre just returned and defeated Oney Lorcan. Other options could be Eric Young or Kassius Ohno. Eric Young is a heel so that won't work. Ohno has already lost to Bobby Roode.

So, either Hideo Itami or Drew McIntyre for me.

I would like it to be Mclntyre. Have him defeat Roode at the Takeover: Brooklyn III. That will lead to Roode going to the main roster, and a Mclntyre vs Young feud.

I would like it to be Mclntyre. Have him defeat Roode at the Takeover: Brooklyn III. That will lead to Roode going to the main roster, and a Mclntyre vs Young feud.
I'm all in for Drew McIntyre ending it. But where does that leave Hideo Itami? That guy has been damn unlucky since he got to NXT. His competitors of that time have surpassed him and are on main roster now. I'm a bigger fan of Drew than Hideo but I think that he should gain the title or just get called up. Drew McIntyre can wait for a while.

They don't have anybody at the moment. Too soon for Roode to lose, too soon for McIntyre to win, who knows what they bought Hero back for.

They should bring in a couple of guys for Roode to beat until it's time to move on. Guys who've been in the company before that have a bit of name value, maybe a John Morrison if available.

Well as it stands, nobody. Bobby Roode is an exceptional talent and he has proven that time and time again. I think whoever does eventually beat him gets a big rub from it and so it's worth saving for now. There's no rush to get the title away from Roode, so they have plenty of time building stars up.

Drew McIntyre is an obvious choice, and I would be shocked to see him graduate to the main roster before winning the NXT Championship. But I don't know how much benefit it brings McIntyre in being the one to defeat Bobby Roode. I do like Kassius Ohno (terrible name) as well, and I'm sure he will be a challenger for some time, but I don't see it being him either right now.

I like the sound of Hideo Itami winning the title though. While we all know his capabilities, much like Drew McIntyre and Kassius Ohno, I feel that because of his misfortunes, it would definitely be a big deal for him to win it. It gives justification for him returning after injuries and working through NXT.

But we have months of Roode's title reign to come, I really believe that, and so the person to topple Roode may not even be on the radar yet.

I could see McIntyre bringing back the next champion ship to the main roster as the chosen one.

It would vindacate his original gimmick

It's too soon for Roode to drop the title to anybody at this point. Kassius Ohno, AKA Fat Jesus, hasn't been back long enough, Drew McIntyre literally just had his first NXT match this past Wednesday and Hideo Itami has spent more time out injured than wrestling in NXT and he's been there for 2.5 years.

For the next several months, I'd just give Roode some strong challenges mean to enhance the challengers and to simultaneously build up his run as champ. For the NXT TakeOver event coming up in Chicago, I feel it'll probably be Kassius Ohno as a challenger, I've no idea if Itami is even off the injured list, but I see potentially one or both of those through the summer with Roode either dropping the title during SummerSlam or Survivor Series weekend. By Survivor Series weekend, McIntyre should have the necessary momentum and then Roode can get his rematch, lose said match and pop up as a surprise entrant in the 2018 Royal Rumble. Roode turns 40 in a little less than a month so I'd guess he 3 or 4 years left to really make an impact and Roode's too good to spend longer in NXT than he should. So yeah, give him a 10 or 11 month long title run, give him his rematch then send him to the main roster.

The only person I could see him possibly dropping the title to at the moment would be McIntyre, But I don't expect to see that happen anytime soon and I fully expect to see Roode as champion until at least around Summerslam. By that time I'm sure the Roster will look a lot different and I could see somebody like Aleister Black/Tommy End possibly getting a shot as champion.

the possiblities are endless....he could lose to Hideo one on one or he can lose to McIntyre one on one or even lose to one of them in a triple threat. also there's the wildcard of losing to Eric Young in sometype of triple threat or fatal four way where he doesnt have to face Roode one on one.

if it were me, i'd go with Eric Young in a triple threat as his Sanity gimmick to me is money and i would like to see him get a good run as NXT Champion. with that being said, my prediction is either Hideo or McIntyre because they both are faces for NXT and NXT right now is lacking top faces.

Good topic and I have thought about that since he won the title and until Tommy End/Alistair Black debuted I wasn't sure who it would be but now I think it's a no-brainer. The clean cut, self-absorbed, ideal face of a brand (Roode) vs. a borderline evil, aloof, counter-culture anti hero (Black) writes itself, and it's ok that it's predictable. These guys can have a great program together. Regarding the other mostly mentioned guys in KO, DM & HI:

Drew McIntyre- even though he's a great fit for NXT, it isn't big enough for the both of them. I think they have a match or two but Roode retains and Drew gets called up. Roode not too far behind but Drew goes after putting over Roode.

Kassius Ohno- will not become NXT champion by beating Bobby Roode and I'm not so sure he makes the main roster, ever. I don't like saying it as I've been a fan of his work for over 10 years and thought his best shot at all that was going to be during his initial run with FCW/NXT. Roode beats him again down the line in a one-off. He can beat someone else for the title but it won't be against the current champ.

Hideo Itami- Is definitely set to return and will get a title shot but do they have the confidence in him and his health to withstand a main event program and become champion. Poor guy lost so much steam these last 2 years and it sucks. Nakamura was a must when he went down the second time and he was likely poised for the same treatment Shinsuke got in his absence. Again, they will have matches and Roode will go over.

Tommy End beats him at the takeover before Survivor Series. Mark it, dude.

I don't think Drew will be on NXT for long... he's going to get over very quickly and they'll want to capitalize on it... I can see him being a wild card and winning MITB as an NXT guy rather than winnng the NXT title... it fits his "Chosen One" past much more and gives NXT that boost without Roode losing the title. It's also pretty much the last "good" story the briefcase has... if Drew has it on NXT, then his debut/cash-in/Win would be much more shocking and a "moment". They've pretty much exhausted all the other potential stories.

Black would seem the obvious choice,, but even then he has more Main Roster potential.... Tommy End/Black won't be in NXT in a years time so it seems wasteful to give it to him.... Someone mentioned Itami, sadly his injuries have ruled him out.

My leftfield pick is one of the Brits who are contesting the UK title. Pete Dunne seems someone who could pull off a "stunning upset" and have a reign in the vein of Bo Dallas. Likewise Tyler Bate if WWE are serious about the UK TV Show... even a brief NXT title reign for one of their guys could work but there is one name that makes a LOT of sense.

One guy I was surprised to see on camera at the HOF as I was under the impression he'd signed to World Of Sport - Nick Aldis/Magnus. He is someone who could come in as a shock opponent for Roode, perhaps at Download where he himself debuted last year and upset him for the title. Drew has equal chance of doing this of course, but with Magnus, suddenly you have an interesting 3 way dynamic, with Black stalking on the outside.... perhaps teaming with Roode against Aldis and Drew...

My vote is on Itami. He needs it, Drew doesn't. Galloway and Roode should do a good program have 2 matches, Roode wins them both and Galloway does a feud with Eric Young and winds up on the main roster.

Maybe a Roode/Hero feud can then happen, Roode can come out ontop there. Then maybe Survivor Series or Royal Rumble time Itami. With the injuries Itami has really been unfortunate and the fans need a reminder or he could spend years in developmental, and at Kenta's age that would not be the best return on investment bringing this guy over.

I don't think Drew will be on NXT for long... he's going to get over very quickly and they'll want to capitalize on it... I can see him being a wild card and winning MITB as an NXT guy rather than winnng the NXT title... it fits his "Chosen One" past much more and gives NXT that boost without Roode losing the title. It's also pretty much the last "good" story the briefcase has... if Drew has it on NXT, then his debut/cash-in/Win would be much more shocking and a "moment". They've pretty much exhausted all the other potential stories.

Black would seem the obvious choice,, but even then he has more Main Roster potential.... Tommy End/Black won't be in NXT in a years time so it seems wasteful to give it to him.... Someone mentioned Itami, sadly his injuries have ruled him out.

My leftfield pick is one of the Brits who are contesting the UK title. Pete Dunne seems someone who could pull off a "stunning upset" and have a reign in the vein of Bo Dallas. Likewise Tyler Bate if WWE are serious about the UK TV Show... even a brief NXT title reign for one of their guys could work but there is one name that makes a LOT of sense.

One guy I was surprised to see on camera at the HOF as I was under the impression he'd signed to World Of Sport - Nick Aldis/Magnus. He is someone who could come in as a shock opponent for Roode, perhaps at Download where he himself debuted last year and upset him for the title. Drew has equal chance of doing this of course, but with Magnus, suddenly you have an interesting 3 way dynamic, with Black stalking on the outside.... perhaps teaming with Roode against Aldis and Drew...
Ummmm... I guess that you don't see IMPACT Wrestling. No problem.

But Magnus had already returned to IMPACT Wrestling and even won his match. I was surprised that he joined IMPACT Wrestling since I thought that he would join NXT since Mickie James is back. May be something didn't work out between Magnus and WWE.

Fuck me it better not be Chris Hero.

Part of me hopes it's somebody either not currently on NXT, or somebody that is actually, you know, developed by this developmental territory.

The so called "golden age" of NXT is over. Unless they find a way to bring in some more legitimate top indy guys to make the smart marks pop it's time for NXT to regress to being a true developmental territory like OVW. The brandsplit killed NXT.

But who knows. I have no idea what the contract status of guys like James Storm or Adam Cole (BAY BAY) is. Hideo Itami could get an underdog run I guess, but he's not really that over. Drew McIntrye is the obvious choice. Which means that is likely what will happen.

Fuck me it better not be Chris Hero.

Part of me hopes it's somebody either not currently on NXT, or somebody that is actually, you know, developed by this developmental territory.

What's wrong with Fat Jesus getting the title? He gets just as strong of a reaction now as he did during his first run. He may not be main roster bound no matter what; if they had issues with his physique before, I fail to see how putting on 60+ pounds of pure flab is going to help matters. They could always use him as a champion who keeps the title for a long period while putting over strong challengers who will be/could be bound for the main roster. Also, being "developed" doesn't necessarily mean someone that's been brought up from the ground up. When some guys from the indie scene have shown up in NXT, their idea of wrestling was essentially moving from one high spot to another without actually wrestling and burning their bodies out, something that would in pretty short order given WWE's intense schedule. A big part of being developed in the way we're used to as fans who watch wrestling on TV each week involve being taught to put some emphasis on telling a story, selling, making some use of psychology; these things aren't exactly necessary in a lot of indy companies where the weekly, episodic nature of pro wrestling that we're used to seeing on doesn't happen. A lot of indie companies only put on shows every 4 to 6 weeks, so whatever happened during the last show won't be fresh or foremost on the minds of fans who show up for the next show. So, as a result, the emphasis is often placed on big spots or matches that are pretty much nothing but spots.

The so called "golden age" of NXT is over. Unless they find a way to bring in some more legitimate top indy guys to make the smart marks pop it's time for NXT to regress to being a true developmental territory like OVW. The brandsplit killed NXT.

NXT continues to be a successful touring brand that could potentially sell out or nearly sell out larger venues and the TakeOver events continue to be sell outs. NXT is consistently among the top 3 most watched programs on the WWE Network each week, often it's THE single most watched program during the week, and fans are still extremely excited whenever stars from NXT make it to the main roster. So, I'm not seeing any sort of real regression in NXT's popularity. Sure, it's possible and likely that there'll be times in which the overall talent pool of the roster isn't as strong as in the past. It may very well be going on right now in the opinion of some people, but so what? That's perfectly normal in the pro wrestling business. In OVW, every third or fourth guy to get a big push wasn't the next Lesnar, Cena, Orton or Batista just like everyone from NXT isn't a Balor, Zayn, Charlotte or Sasha. The brand split didn't kill NXT, it was part of the natural progression of NXT ultimately fulfilling its primary purpose of getting talents to where WWE officials felt they should be and bringing them to the main roster. Some might roll their eyes at such a notion and feel that it's just WWE marking out for itself; while that may be true in some respects, it's not as though WWE hasn't earned it considering it's a billion dollar company that's synonymous with the term professional wrestling itself in the minds of most wrestling fans and non-fans alike. Being on the main roster should be the goal of every wrestler in NXT because that's where the real big money opportunities are going to come from. Not all of them are going to make it, it's a cold hard fact of life and it's just as simple as that. However, if you're someone who'd prefer to stay a second stringer, then you shouldn't be in NXT in the first place and it's just a matter of time before you're cut to go back to the indie scene wrestling in front of 30 people and hopefully earn enough money to pay for your gas.

It's gonna be Kassious Ohno most likely but depending on how far they want to push Aleister Black, I could see them eventually having him win the belt.

Also, I could see Eric Young with the belt but I don't think Sanity will feud with Bobby Roode.

I would like it to be Kassius Ohno, seeing as he never got the chance the first time he was in NXT. But, I can't help feeling that it's going to be Drew McIntyre. Seeing the reaction he's got since he came back to NXT & that they seem like they wanna be pushing him too the moon straight off the bat, I feel like he's going to end up in the main event picture either at the next Takeover, or the Takeover following.

If Roode gets a short feud that isn't just him beating the guy he beat to get the title from in the first place, then eventually McIntyre should get in there. I'd be happy to see him reign for 7/8 months with the title, providing that after that, Ohno gets a run.

Since Hideo Itami attacked Bobby Roode last week, it's looks like Hideo Itami VS Bobby Roode at TakeOver Chicago.

I think that Hideo should win the title this time. It's overdue for him to win the title. Bobby Roode can lose the title at Chicago and lose the rematch at Brooklyn. Get him the call-up after Summerslam.

He seems the most viable choice.

Roode should only drop the belt if immediately going up to the main roster. No rematches and dropping matches on the way out......they cannot fuck his main roster debut up. Maybe he debuts in the 2018 Rumble??? Drops the belt to perhaps Drew McIntyre or Roderick Strong

Roode really shouldn't drop the title until he is going to move to the main roster at this point. Even with McIntyre as the current #1 contender and guys like Black, Ohno, Itami, at the top the roster, I'd keep Roode champion until the Royal Rumble weekend Takeover.

In my perfect scenario during the setup to that they would have 5 months to build up a credible contender in Johnny Gargano as the NXT favorite underdog... Have him face Roode at the Takeover and win the title. Roode can then debut at the Rumble with the crowd going nuts as soon as the GLORIOUS theme hits and the following NXT can have Ciampa return to ruin Gargano's celebration and start an NXT title blood feud leading to the Mania Takeover.

Based simply on how things are looking just at this moment, I'd say that the title will either be taken by Drew McIntyre or Roderick Strong.

McIntyre is a different guy than he was when he first came to WWE. His attitude is different, he's more seasoned, he carries himself differently and comes off more like a tough guy now than the pretty boy "Chosen One." As of right now, he also has the whole undefeated thing going for him.

Roderick Strong definitely comes across as the "feel good" babyface of NXT right now. If things keep moving in their current direction, Strong could wind up becoming the next Sami Zayn of NXT in that he's pretty much beloved by the crowds and is embraced as someone that they truly want to see succeed as a babyface.

Even though Strong has had one shot already, I see him ultimately being the one to take the title from Roode either at TakeOver: Brooklyn III or during the TakeOver event that'll be held in Houston the night before Survivor Series. The little mini-documentaries they did featuring Strong a little while back really resonated with a lot of fans and really makes him a sympathetic babyface. They showed Strong as a guy with a brand new baby boy, he came from the "wrong side of the tracks" and has worked really hard to get to where he is now so it just seems that Strong winning the title would be a definite "feel good" moment.

Again, just based on how the lay of the land appears as of right now, I think Strong takes it. If he doesn't get a shot at TakeOver: Brooklyn III, then I see him getting his opportunity at TakeOver: Houston in which he wins, Roode gets his rematch at the TakeOver event the night before the Royal Rumble, fails to regain the title and pops up as a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble the next night.

Drew makes the most sense at the moment. However it may still be too soon. If Roode were to lose the title and get a main roster promotion, who would take his place? He would leave a huge void in NXT. Roode is by far the biggest star in the yellow brand right now. I could see Drew winning in Brooklyn then the two getting an extended feud for the fall. During this time someone else would have to get built up to challenge Drew after he retains against Roode. Just a theory. As for the others.... None of the other faces come close. Strong is boring to me and I know I am in the minority there, but he is. Same goes for Ohno. Gargano needs to feud with Ciampa first. Once that potentially epic feud is done, Gargano could be ready for a great title run further down the road. So.... Drew McIntyre is really the only one who can end the Glorious NXT Championship reign at the moment.

If Roode were to get called up today, they'd be nuts if they didn't put him on Smackdown. Your top heel is Owens and then there's a pretty big drop off to the next guys which are Mahal and Corbin. Roode would automatically be no lower than the #2 guy. Raw has no shortage of heels so I feel like he'd get lost in the shuffle there.

As for who should take the NXT Championship from him, there's nobody on the current roster other than McIntyre who deserves to even be discussed. I don't know what the status is of former talents like Damien Sandow, Bad News Barrett, Cody Rhodes, John Morrison, Carlito, and Justin Gabriel, but they are all guys I'd love to see brought back and could definitely get behind them as NXT champion. All I really know about any of them is it sounds like Rhodes doesn't miss it at all and I believe Morrison is with Lucha Underground. I had really hoped some of them would come back when the brand split happened to help fill the rosters out, especially SDL.

I feel like Roode should hold onto it for at least a couple more months and then drop it to McIntyre before joining the main roster. However I couldn't argue if they pulled the trigger at Takeover. Roode has everything you want in a WWE Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back